Encryption lost after unlock bootloader / install twrp / root

Search This thread

djhuzi

Aug 29, 2012
Hallo.
I had unlock bootloader, install twrp and supersu: my honor 8 is rooted, but why i don't have encryption on it? When i enter in twrp, i can see all file of device.. i don't understand why.
Thank you all

XePeleato

Mar 19, 2016
Madrid
Hallo.
I had unlock bootloader, install twrp and supersu: my honor 8 is rooted, but why i don't have encryption on it? When i enter in twrp, i can see all file of device.. i don't understand why.
Thank you all
Because either TWRP decrypts it, or because it isn't really encrypted.
I'd say it's still encrypted.

Reactions: iaa85

djhuzi

Aug 29, 2012
When i power on the h8, a message appears for restore the device: if i Press vol UP, i enter in a HUAWEI (special) recovery: it tell me to download last update and restore all. But this, lock the bootloader too?

Inviato dal mio FRD-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
When i power on the h8, a message appears for restore the device: if i Press vol UP, i enter in a HUAWEI (special) recovery: it tell me to download last update and restore all. But this, lock the bootloader too?

If you flash a stock rom on a Nexus it doesn`t lock the bootloader, so my guess with Honor is that it doesn`t lock the bootloader either unless you lock it yourself in fastboot.

Reactions: djhuzi

PalakMi

Aug 18, 2016
Oujda

Probably won't lock it

Reactions: djhuzi

xor2000

Nov 16, 2016

TWRP can not decrypt your internal storage unless you give it the correct password. That means, if you can browse your /data directory in TWRP without having to enter your PIN/password, then your device is definitely not encrypted. The whole point of encryption is that you can not just boot into TWRP and look at your data!

I have the same issue on my Honor 8 and have tried a lot to get the device to encrypt the internal storage. No luck so far, unfortunately.

I don't know if the Honor 8's internal storage was decrypted before unlocking, and I don't see how one could test this (without unlocking ;)

XePeleato

Mar 19, 2016
Madrid
TWRP can not decrypt your internal storage unless you give it the correct password. That means, if you can browse your /data directory in TWRP without having to enter your PIN/password, then your device is definitely not encrypted. The whole point of encryption is that you can not just boot into TWRP and look at your data!

I have the same issue on my Honor 8 and have tried a lot to get the device to encrypt the internal storage. No luck so far, unfortunately.

I don't know if the Honor 8's internal storage was decrypted before unlocking, and I don't see how one could test this (without unlocking ;)

That's the #1 mistake that people usually make. The device is encrypted, and the password is secret to you, I recommend you not to post such statements without researching a bit into Android's encryption.

Even after unlocking the bootloader, the device remains encrypted because there's a flag at the Fstab that tells vold that the data partition is encrypted, so that has nothing to do with unlocking the bootloader.

For obvious reasons, encryption is handled in such a way that the end user would never realize that it's encrypted.

djhuzi

Aug 29, 2012
I don't understand very well english, so Sorry if i reply mistake. After one full update, the smartphone wipe all and lock the bootloader. This because It enable the encryption, and is full stock with recovery stock too. When we go to made root, we need to unlock bootloader: It wipe all and don't enable encryption. For this motivazion, we can install twrp and see all file of primary Memory.
We need to by-pass the wipe when lock-unlock bootloader

Last edited:

xor2000

Nov 16, 2016
That's the #1 mistake that people usually make. The device is encrypted, and the password is secret to you, I recommend you not to post such statements without researching a bit into Android's encryption.

Even after unlocking the bootloader, the device remains encrypted because there's a flag at the Fstab that tells vold that the data partition is encrypted, so that has nothing to do with unlocking the bootloader.

For obvious reasons, encryption is handled in such a way that the end user would never realize that it's encrypted.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say, but if the /data partition is encrypted, the user must enter the password, otherwise it can not be decrypted. The password is either entered during a normal boot (and is usually the same as your lock code, so you will not get prompted twice), or, if you boot into TWRP recovery, you must enter the password in TWRP. I have seen this myself on a Nexus 7.

What I found out meanwhile is that SuperSU is in fact patching the /fstab so that encryption is no longer enforced after a wipe of the /data partiton. I am still struggling to re-enable it.

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

I don't understand very well english, so Sorry if i reply mistake. After one full update, the smartphone wipe all and lock the bootloader. This because It enable the encryption, and is full stock with recovery stock too. When we go to made root, we need to unlock bootloader: It wipe all and don't enable encryption. For this motivazion, we can install twrp and see all file of primary Memory.
We need to by-pass the wipe when lock-unlock bootloader

In fact, I found that SuperSU is patching the /fstab to remove forced encryption.

What I am currently trying is: to change the "encryptable" flag in /fstab back to "forceencrypt", then wipe /data in the hope that Android will again encrypt the /data partition. It does not work on my Honor 8 though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hallo.
    Thank you all

If you flash a stock rom on a Nexus it doesn`t lock the bootloader, so my guess with Honor is that it doesn`t lock the bootloader either unless you lock it yourself in fastboot.

Probably won't lock it
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone