Enjoy Moto G4 Apps on Any Motorola Device

Search This thread

namartlu

Mar 6, 2011
This is how i installed gallery apk since normal install was not working on CM13 MXPE 2015:
- deleted gallery that came with cm13
- created a new folder at /system/priv-app (i called it Moto Gallery)
- placed apk inside the new folder
- reboot the phone
- (icon will show on app drawer but when opening the app it will show only pictures but with no options, settings etc)
- return to the system folder created in the beginning
- install apk by clicking on it
That's it! Fully functional gallery. Take a picture and slide the right side of the screen inward. A bottom drawer will ask you to open pictures with gallery. Choose always!

I also set Moto G4 camera as default camera and not out works with twist gesture!
Once again, I'm on official CM13 nightlies 07/20 on MXPE 2015.

Sorry, you mean works or not work with twist gesture?

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
Hi Guys,
I have been using Apktool for the first time today and have managed to get the professional mode working on the stock moto x style rom (marshmallow 6.0.1, 1 may 2016 patch level) without root and have also managed to enable the debug menu option i.e. what was the ladybug button in the old version app.

I have uploaded the new version of the apk to google drive for anybody that wants to give it a try.

If anybody wants to look at what has been updated I only modified three files (AndroidManifest.xml, \res\raw\app_features.json and \smali\com\motorola\camera\Util.smali) so if you decompile the original apk (standalone) and the new version I have created you will quickly see what has been changed.

p.s. When I updated the app_features.json file I added in device codes for the moto x style (clark), moto x play(lux) and moto g 2015 (osprey) so a wide group of people could try the mod but I have only tested it on the moto x style as that is the device i own.

Hi data365,

First, I just want to say a big thank you for the app. The professional mode works perfectly on my custom stock 6.0.1 ROM with the May patch. I also have quick launch work using Xposed and the Twisty Switch beta module. The camera launches as normal with a double twist gesture though the stock camera needs to still be there for it to work. I just have one question though. You have stated that the debug menu has been enabled but I don't seem to have the option in my app. Did you have to edit your build.prop for to enable the option? I have the Moto CheckBox Xposed module and this seems to work with the stock camera only as I have the ladybug button in there. I had tried the normal G4 camera zip file installed through TWRP on the Pure Nexus ROM and this has the debug menu and I had to edit the device name in the build.prop file to enable the professional mode. The twist gesture worked perfectly on that ROM as it was built in. I really liked the Pure Nexus ROM it's just the battery life was killing it literally; my phone wasn't even lasting a day due to the poor mobile reception in my house draining the battery. If you could provide any information or help on the debug option, this would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Ooms

data365

Dec 29, 2014
Hi data365,

First, I just want to say a big thank you for the app. The professional mode works perfectly on my custom stock 6.0.1 ROM with the May patch. I also have quick launch work using Xposed and the Twisty Switch beta module. The camera launches as normal with a double twist gesture though the stock camera needs to still be there for it to work. I just have one question though. You have stated that the debug menu has been enabled but I don't seem to have the option in my app. Did you have to edit your build.prop for to enable the option? I have the Moto CheckBox Xposed module and this seems to work with the stock camera only as I have the ladybug button in there. I had tried the normal G4 camera zip file installed through TWRP on the Pure Nexus ROM and this has the debug menu and I had to edit the device name in the build.prop file to enable the professional mode. The twist gesture worked perfectly on that ROM as it was built in. I really liked the Pure Nexus ROM it's just the battery life was killing it literally; my phone wasn't even lasting a day due to the poor mobile reception in my house draining the battery. If you could provide any information or help on the debug option, this would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Ooms

Hi Ooms,
No I did not edit my build.prop file because I don’t have root access, i edited how the code works when reading the ro.bulid.tags value. i.e. the "\smali\com\motorola\camera\Util.smali" update

The original code enabled the debug menu when the ro.bulid.tags value was set to "test-keys" but the stock build.prop file has the ro.bulid.tags value set to "release-keys" so I updated the code to enable the debug menu when the ro.bulid.tags value has been set to "release-keys" simple!

I don’t know how the Moto CheckBox Xposed module works so can not comment on why it is not working with that module in place.

I have been trying to get the latest version of the app (6.0.24.9) working but have not had any success yet, I always get a message back saying "Device not supported" :(, between version 6.0.20.6 and 6.0.24.9 there have been lots of changes so its not easy to track why I’m getting this message although I have found where the message is being triggered.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Hi Guys,
I've just created a new version of the app with two more code names added to the "\res\raw\app_features.json" file (kinzie and otus) so professional mode should now be accessible on more devices.

i don't now how i managed to get links into my first post as i now getting a message saying i have to post ten times before this is allowed :confused: anyway you guys will just need to remove the white space from this link...

See post #29 for a most up-to-date apk http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=67863180&postcount=29

Last edited:
Reactions: dj_ooms and churapa

churapa

Jun 12, 2008
Last edited:

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
Hi Ooms,
No I did not edit my build.prop file because I don’t have root access, i edited how the code works when reading the ro.bulid.tags value. i.e. the "\smali\com\motorola\camera\Util.smali" update

The original code enabled the debug menu when the ro.bulid.tags value was set to "test-keys" but the stock build.prop file has the ro.bulid.tags value set to "release-keys" so I updated the code to enable the debug menu when the ro.bulid.tags value has been set to "release-keys" simple!

I don’t know how the Moto CheckBox Xposed module works so can not comment on why it is not working with that module in place.

I have been trying to get the latest version of the app (6.0.24.9) working but have not had any success yet, I always get a message back saying "Device not supported" :(, between version 6.0.20.6 and 6.0.24.9 there have been lots of changes so its not easy to track why I’m getting this message although I have found where the message is being triggered.

Thank you very much data365. I had a look at my ro.build.tags value and it was set as test-keys. I tried to change it to change it to release-keys but the result is the same; I do not have any option for debug menu. Is there possibly anything else that is being looked up? I may have to resort to installing a full stock ROM and trying to get it working from there. I have a feeling the build.prop file may have been modified more than just the ro.build.tags line which may be causing the issue. Out of curiosity, would it be possible to post a copy of your build.prop file so I can make a comparison to see what else might be different?

Thank you for all your hard work.

Ooms

P.S. I have tried your second release too and still have the same issue.

data365

Dec 29, 2014
Thank you very much data365. I had a look at my ro.build.tags value and it was set as test-keys. I tried to change it to change it to release-keys but the result is the same; I do not have any option for debug menu. Is there possibly anything else that is being looked up? I may have to resort to installing a full stock ROM and trying to get it working from there. I have a feeling the build.prop file may have been modified more than just the ro.build.tags line which may be causing the issue. Out of curiosity, would it be possible to post a copy of your build.prop file so I can make a comparison to see what else might be different?

Thank you for all your hard work.

Ooms

P.S. I have tried your second release too and still have the same issue.

No problem https: // drive.google.com/open?id=0BzN_CG03Ba9WOWVnU0ZTRzBMcGc

Reactions: dj_ooms

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
No problem https: // drive.google.com/open?id=0BzN_CG03Ba9WOWVnU0ZTRzBMcGc

Thanks data365. There is a definite difference between the build.prop lines on your stock ROM and my custom ROM. It tried to replace the build.prop to see if it made a difference. I still didn't have a debug menu option. As a last resort, I decided to try a full stock unrooted ROM to see if your app worked. Unfortunately, I still didn't have the debug menu. I have now gone back to my custom ROM. I am happy the professional mode is working and I am grateful for your hard work on this. I would have preferred to have the debug menu but I can't figure out why it doesn't work. The camera takes decent pictures as it is. It would have been nice to be able to tweak some settings further but I can live with the app as it is. Hopefully you will be able to continue your work and give us updated versions of the app. in the future

Thanks again,

Ooms

Last edited:

data365

Dec 29, 2014
Thanks data365. There is a definite difference between the build.prop lines on your stock ROM and my custom ROM. It tried to replace the build.prop to see if it made a difference. I still didn't have a debug menu option. As a last resort, I decided to try a full stock unrooted ROM to see if your app worked. Unfortunately, I still didn't have the debug menu. I have now gone back to my custom ROM. I am happy the professional mode is working and I am grateful for your hard work on this. I would have preferred to have the debug menu but I can't figure out why it doesn't work. The camera takes decent pictures as it is. It would have been nice to be able to tweak some settings further but I can live with the app as it is. Hopefully you will be able to continue your work and give us updated versions of the app. in the future

Thanks again,

Ooms

I got version 6.0.24.9 working today and have been looking more into how the debug menu is displayed and think I might have found your problem.

The code checks the device root status using the qe e-fuse status and disables the debug menu if your e-fuse has a setting of qe 1/1

I have made modifications to the code to get around this as well as removing the read of the ro.bulid.tags setting so you might have more luck this time around.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzN_CG03Ba9WRm1ZaU1sZTV0SWs/view?usp=drivesdk

I say "might" because the code also has a check to make sure the device is secure (I need to check how this is working) before this menu option can be displayed so that might also be the root of your problem and would be a much bigger change to the code that i don't even want to think about as updating smali code is a nightmare.

Last edited:

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
I got version 6.0.24.9 working today and have been looking more into how the debug menu is displayed and think I might have found your problem.

The code checks the device root status using the qe e-fuse status and disables the debug menu if your e-fuse has a setting of qe 1/1

I have made modifications to the code to get around this as well as removing the read of the ro.bulid.tags setting so you might have more luck this time around.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzN_CG03Ba9WYzJuTjFJRUUwSHM

I say "might" because the code also has a check to make sure the device is secure (I need to check how this is working) before this menu option can be displayed so that might also be the root of your problem and would be a much bigger change to the code that i don't even want to think about as updating smali code is a nightmare.

Brilliant work data365. :good: Just tested your new app and it is working perfectly. I now have access to the debug menu. :victory:

I think the e-fuse is probably triggered when you unlock the bootloader which may explain why your previous builds did not work even on a stock unrooted ROM. When I flashed the stock ROM, I did not lock the bootloader, which may also be why the debug menu did not work. I suspect though that locking it would not have made any difference. It may explain why on previous stock ROMs (5.1.1 and 6.0), I could not get the ladybug debug menu on the original stock camera app. The only way I could get it was by using the MotoCheck Xposed module, which probably works around the coding for the checks. The MotoCheck module is quite old though which may mean it does not work on the new Moto phone models of 2016 and any ported apps.

I really appreciate all the time, effort and hard work you have put into this. Once again, many thanks for everything. I hope you continue to release new versions when the app gets updated, as I can only expect the camera to improve with every update, no matter how minimal it may be.

Thanks,

Ooms

data365

Dec 29, 2014
I'm happy to enable options that are already in the app once I find out how it has been disabled but I'm not about to debug and fix code that I have not written myself, I do that every day at work so like to switch off when I get home.

I also have no plans to unlock the boot loader so I can install another ROM on my phone at least until the start of November when my warranty runs out so until then I would be guessing what the problem is.

Lenovo/ Motorola don't seem to update this app to often so I don't expect I will have to make these updates again for a few months.

dboombuki

Feb 21, 2011
Hey thanks for the apps. I got the to work and install. But the clock widget is small not sure if anyone else is having this problem but I can't get it bigger.

data365

Dec 29, 2014
Last edited:

churapa

Jun 12, 2008
I found the way to save pictures to external memory (External SD card) using the MotoG4 camera apk modded by @data365 (thanks again for the mod).

1.- In /data/system

look for packages.xml

In there, look for com.motorola.camera1

2.- Add
Code:
<item name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" granted="true" flags="0" />
Right after <perms>

3.- Save and Reboot

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,809
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,715
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,607
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,563
  • motocameraExtStorage.png
    motocameraExtStorage.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,683

Rotondo

Jan 28, 2014
I found the way to save pictures to external memory (External SD card) using the MotoG4 camera apk modded by @data365 (thanks again for the mod).

1.- In /data/system

look for packages.xml

2.- Add
Code:
Right after <perms>

3.- Save and Reboot

works professional mode?:eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.droidviews.com/enjoy-moto-g4-apps-motorola-device/

apk files are in link

-Time & Weather Widget (360 style-shown in pic)
    -File Manager
    -Camera
    -Gallery (didn't work on AICP)
    -Boot Logo
    Moto G4 Camera App Mod

Hi Guys,
    I have been using Apktool for the first time today and have managed to get the professional mode working on the stock moto x style rom (marshmallow 6.0.1, 1 may 2016 patch level) without root and have also managed to enable the debug menu option i.e. what was the ladybug button in the old version app.

I have uploaded the new version of the apk to google drive for anybody that wants to give it a try.

If anybody wants to look at what has been updated I only modified three files (AndroidManifest.xml, \res\raw\app_features.json and \smali\com\motorola\camera\Util.smali) so if you decompile the original apk (standalone) and the new version I have created you will quickly see what has been changed.

p.s. When I updated the app_features.json file I added in device codes for the moto x style (clark), moto x play(lux) and moto g 2015 (osprey) so a wide group of people could try the mod but I have only tested it on the moto x style as that is the device i own.

UPDATE:
    See post #29 for a more up-to-date apk http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=67863180&postcount=29

Thanks again,

Ooms

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzN_CG03Ba9WRm1ZaU1sZTV0SWs/view?usp=drivesdk

1.- In /data/system

look for packages.xml

2.- Add
    Code:
    Right after <perms>

3.- Save and Reboot
    Will test on my stock 6.0.1, but I have a question, does this works also on CM and AOSP based ROMS?
    Curious about "slow-mo" and "save to SD card" modes.?
    I just tried the apks and they worked
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone