• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[EOL][4.2.2] HDX Nexus v2.0.5

Search This thread

stefanero313

Jan 23, 2010
Hi Guys,

I flashed this rom 2 days ago, and everything works fine appart from GPS, but I guess that is a known issue and no problem for me.

But I am wondering if there is a trick with battery saving, my device is doing nothing all night and when I wake up I am left with 53% from 100% battery.

When I check the battery summary page in the settings, I see that wlan and sleep mode take most of the CPU.

Anyone got a clue?

Thank you very much

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi Guys,

I flashed this rom 2 days ago, and everything works fine appart from GPS, but I guess that is a known issue and no problem for me.

But I am wondering if there is a trick with battery saving, my device is doing nothing all night and when I wake up I am left with 53% from 100% battery.

When I check the battery summary page in the settings, I see that wlan and sleep mode take most of the CPU.

Anyone got a clue?

Thank you very much
I use Nexus v2.0.5 as my daily driver (thor) and find battery life to be excellent both in use and on standby. I typically see decay rates of 0.1-0.2% per hour while sleeping with wifi disabled (auto-toggle via standard Jelly Bean wifi setting). That jumps to 0.5-0.6% per hour with wifi -and- push mail enabled. BTW - wifi still pops on from time to time even with this setting enabled (android bug) but toggles off pretty quickly.

Battery utilization while awake obviously varies with activity but I have to work very hard to top 10% per hour. Screen brightness can be a big draw; I keep mine around 30% inside with auto adjust disabled.

Suggest using Gsam (or the battery utility of your choice) and Greenify to identify and rein in misbehaving apps. The Google app can be a huge draw depending how it is configured. Some people get all bothered by wakelocks but honestly I find them to be more an indicator of of a potential issue than a problem themself. Blocking wakelocks is a fools errand that can create a host of other issues and has minimal benefits (at best) vs other strategies. I also disable most auto-starts as a ridiculous number of apps autoload at boot and whenever the device condition changes.

Your GPS comment suggest you may have a LTE model (standard models do not have a GPS chip). Make sure all LTE functions are disabled as it is not supported by the Nexus rom.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefanero313

stefanero313

Jan 23, 2010
Hello Davey,

thank you for the reply.

Well really strange to me aswell, as I cannot see what is using CPU really. I will try to investigate a little with gsam.

cu

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 / S7 Plus
Update

I have now got kitkat 4.4.2 version of HDX Nexus ROM running. There is a problem with gapps though since google released 7.3.29 of google play services.

Previous versions seem to work fine, but certain applications like hangouts and gmail force google play services to update to the latest.

The problem been that every 2-3 seconds I get an error box saying "Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped"

I am trying to find a solution for this at the moment. I have read on the Fire Phone forum they are having the same problems as well as other devices.

Edit 1: Solution for google play services is here. Will try and build this into my rom/gapps package so it does not have to be done manually.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
not sure what to suggest except using older gapps and blocking there ota updates for them
First, a 'tip of the hat' to ggow for his continued efforts to evolve the Nexus rom. CM is fantastic but I do prefer the near AOSP feel of Nexus. It's great to have several choices on a device where there was previously one.

Using older gapps is a temporary solution at best as it is clear Google is evolving the service framework and associated application dependencies. While not everyone will agree I would rather see the KK release delayed until a comfortable solution is found rather than fighting through the inevitable compromises of a hybrid implementation. A few days/weeks isn't going to kill anyone given there are other working options. One of the best aspects of the current Nexus rom is it just works (LTE support being the only known exception). I'm looking for a similar experience with the next release.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Yes version 7.0.99 seems to work just fine. I am attempting to block update only for google play services - hopefully that will work until a new version that fixes the issue is available.
See here; might be helpful.

Reactions: ggow

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
First, a 'tip of the hat' to ggow for his continued efforts to evolve the Nexus rom. CM is fantastic but I do prefer the near AOSP feel of Nexus. It's great to have several choices on a device where there was previously one.

Using older gapps is a temporary solution at best as it is clear Google is evolving the service framework and associated application dependencies. While not everyone will agree I would rather see the KK release delayed until a comfortable solution is found rather than fighting through the inevitable compromises of a hybrid implementation. A few days/weeks isn't going to kill anyone given there are other working options. One of the best aspects of the current Nexus rom is it just works (LTE support being the only known exception). I'm looking for a similar experience with the next release.

Agree with you Davey, I'm not in a rush to release this. It has to equal or better HDX Nexus 2.05 to be worth releasing. CM11 is already in the wild and will afford me more time to get this fixed up.

The next release will have LTE support, might take a few versions to get it working but should be ok. Planning to have miracast support. Bluetooth is a problem at the moment too.

ja49902

Dec 22, 2014
Agree with you Davey, I'm not in a rush to release this. It has to equal or better HDX Nexus 2.05 to be worth releasing. CM11 is already in the wild and will afford me more time to get this fixed up.

The next release will have LTE support, might take a few versions to get it working but should be ok. Planning to have miracast support. Bluetooth is a problem at the moment too.

If u need testers I'd be willing to help

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

See here; might be helpful.

Thanks for pointing me to the link. Looks like google need to pull their finger out and provide a fix ☺. Although I'm still curious as to why nexus ROM 2.05 doesn't have this problem with Google play services 7.3.29.

masterchop

May 17, 2011
can i use this??

I am currently at rom 13.3.2.1 and i am downloading the files am I able to flash this rom>?? i saw that it was based for 14.x.x.x.
Please let me know if i can flash it.

i was going to do do a factory reset and flash this on top is that ok? please let me know. i want Stock android so much,.

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
I am currently at rom 13.3.2.1 and i am downloading the files am I able to flash this rom>?? i saw that it was based for 14.x.x.x.

i was going to do do a factory reset and flash this on top is that ok? please let me know. i want Stock android so much,.

Yes, make sure you have twrp installed first, then flash the version for Thor.

Reactions: tbm13

DB126

Oct 15, 2013

You can. Do your homework first (read through the thread) before flashing anything. There are flavors for Thor and Apollo; grab the right one. Make sure twrp is installed and stable. Ideally unlock your bootloader although that is not a hard requirement for Nexus 2.0.5.

Reactions: masterchop

masterchop

May 17, 2011
Woooo!!!! Love you!!!!

You can. Do your homework first (read through the thread) before flashing anything. There are flavors for Thor and Apollo; grab the right one. Make sure twrp is installed and stable. Ideally unlock your bootloader although that is not a hard requirement for Nexus 2.0.5.

OMG it took like 3 seconds booting up!! i got a force close on gallery during the android setup and now i am at the desktop OMG i can believe it. LOVE YOU!!!!!!
this is so great!! i was starting to feel the pain due to the old version of android runnign on my kindle. i am going to start testing. i am so happy men so happy!! cant express it in words!!:good::highfive::fingers-crossed:

Thank you for your efforts on this!! thank you thank you!!:victory:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
... I'm still curious as to why nexus ROM 2.05 doesn't have this problem with Google play services 7.3.29.
Nor do some variations of CM. I am running CM11-20140513 on a 1st gen HD 7. Auto-updated to 7.3.29 without incident while others have experienced difficulties similar those reported in the HDX forums.

btw - Google likes their finger right where it is. Apparently a comfortable position ...

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

OMG it took like 3 seconds booting up!! i got a force close on gallery during the android setup and now i am at the desktop OMG i can believe it. LOVE YOU!!!!!!
this is so great!! i was starting to feel the pain due to the old version of android runnign on my kindle. i am going to start testing. i am so happy men so happy!! cant express it in words!!:good::highfive::fingers-crossed:

Thank you for your efforts on this!! thank you thank you!!:victory:
110% credit goes to ggow!! Same set of emotions when I first booted up Nexus. Spouse had my hdx under surveillance for weeks; thought I was in a relationship (lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: ggow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** DO NOT FLASH THIS IF YOU ARE RUNNING SAFESTRAP - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ***
    *** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THINGS GO WRONG. ***

Introduction
    I am very proud to bring you HDX Nexus ROM. This is for both the Kindle Fire HDX 7" and 8.9" WIFI only variants and brings full AOSP functionality. This is for users with TWRP installed.

Features
    - Full Jelly Bean 4.2.2 AOSP functionality

Bug Reports
    - Please use the Bugs section on this thread, it will make it a lot easier to to keep track.

Fresh Installation
    - Flash thor-nexus-rom.zip or apollo-nexus-rom.zip
    - Flash hdx-nexus-gapps-v1.2.zip
    - Then flash any addons
    - If coming from any other ROM or Safestrap based ROM then do a factory reset.
    - Reboot and enjoy.

Upgrading From Previous Version
    - Flash thor-nexus-rom.zip or apollo-nexus-rom.zip
    - Flash hdx-nexus-gapps-v1.2.zip
    - Wipe Dalvik Cache and Cache
    - Then flash any addons
    - Reboot and enjoy.

Changelog
    - v2.0.4 -> v2.0.5
    Code:
    - CIFS Support
    - Clock retention/reset problem fixed
    - Busybox is now integrated

- v2.0.3 -> v2.0.4

Code:
    - Switched to custom kernel
    - Kernel is compiled with Sabermod 4.7 toolchain
    - Added the following CPU governors:
    	- abyssplug v2
    	- adaptive
    	- intelliactive
    	- intellidemand
    	- interactive
    	- lazy
    	- lionheart
    	- nightmare
    	- ondemandplus
    	- optimax
    	- pegasuq
    	- userspace
    	- wheatley
    - Updated security package ready for selinux
    - Updated devfreq driver
    - Lastest Amazon music application is now working
    - Latest Amazon kindle application is now working

Downloads

Add-Ons
    - Dolby Digital v1.2 for HDX Nexus >= 2.0.5
    - Dolby Digital v1.1 for HDX Nexus <= 2.0.4

FAQ

Q. How do I mount a CIFS share?

- make a folder in your /sdcard for your shares ( /sdcard/shares/ )
    - make a folder within /sdcard/shares/ for your CIFS share ( /sdcard/shares/nasdrive/ )
    - open a terminal app or adb shell into your device from your computer
    - su - to gain root access
    - use the following command to mount your network share to the previously created folder

Code:
    mount -o unc=192.168.1.7Data,username=<name>,password=<pass> -t cifs none /sdcard/shares/nasdrive

Finally
    - Thank you to everyone for your ongoing support and to everyone that made a Donation.

XDA:DevDB Information
    HDX Nexus, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
    ggow
    Source Code: https://github.com/ggow/android_kernel_hdx_nexus/tree/android_4.2.2

ROM OS Version: 4.2.x Jelly Bean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: AOSP JDQ39

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.04
    Stable Release Date: 2015-02-06

Created 2014-08-02
    Last Updated 2017-06-01
    Update

Working on version 2.02

So far:

- Put a fix in to make most apps available in Playstore - this works for the moment unless our devices are again blocked
    - Fixed Hang on F1 App @rubinho
    - Fixed Auto-brightness
    - Fixed imdb force close
    Update

I am making a new version of Nexus ROM which is based on android 4.3. The plan is to have this running without all of the old amazon binaries. I have touchscreen, audio, wifi, bluetooth and WiFi working (No amazon binaries present at all). I am hoping that this release will also support LTE variants too. This custom kernel for hdx nexus rom will also serve as a platform to boot lollipop in the very near future.
    As many of you know HDX Nexus 4.2.2 is my first android project, so really appreciate everyone's patience and support with this.
    Release 1.4.1 comming....

Hey All, I'm gonna go for Release 1.4.1. The changelog for the next version is:

-----------------------------------
    HDX Nexus ROM Changelog
    -----------------------------------
    v1.4 -> 1.4.1
    - Fixed audio bug when using navbar
    - Fixed steering reverse sense on Need for Speed Most Wanted
    - Settings
    - Removed "Cell Broadcasts" Option
    - Removed "Phone Ringtone" Option
    - Removed "Power Button Ends Call" Option
    - Removed "Baseband" from Device Information
    - Removed "System Updates" Option
    - Fixed Crash on "About Phone->Status" Option
    - Changed text entries for from "phone" to "tablet".
    - Ported Camera App from KitKat
    - Ported Gallery App from KitKat
    - Ported Calendar App from KitKat
    - Ported com.quicinc.cne.jar framework from LG G2
    - Updated tzdata to 2014f
    - Include new wpa_supplicant from 1.4 release for Thor Devices
    - MX Player subtitles now show correctly
    - Call/Phone functionality has been disabled/removed
    - The volume control is now expandable

I now have no broadband at all at home, but will get the ROM uploaded via my mobile ASAP.
    Update

Thanks everyone for the bug reports and excellent testing effort.

So far this week, I have fixed:

1. Chrome
    2. Flickr's Missing Photos
    3. The white page issue with the old kindle reader app
    4. Have implemented changes (a lot of them) that mean I can use more of the AOSP libs. This has reduce the size and dependency on amazon libs. Ultimately reducing the size of the ROM.

I have started working on a revised set of libraries to get the media player hardware accelerated again. I have resolved some problems with it but far from perfect.

The problem is amazon's source code is far from complete and doesn't contain everything that it should. It's frustrating the open source spirit of android and support thereof is not been taken seriously by several large companies choosing only to release binaries. For this reason it will take me some time to solve some of these bugs (anyway rant over).

Thanks to all again for your patience and support. I'll resume in two weeks when back from vacation.