• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[EOL][ALPHA][ROM][8.1.0_r14]Candy8.1 [athene][18 Feb 2018]

Search This thread

raptor170

Apr 9, 2013
Newfoundland
Just flashed today, so far feeling really good, first time on candy rom, phone has stayed cool even while playing games. No random reboots as of yet....have read some people having issues but i havnt had any issues as of yet. Happy to be back to 32 bit rom, my 2gb variant was struggling on 64. Thanks team!

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
UI crashing again

System UI crashing again. MatLog attached.

XT1642, latest 32bit build, standard ROM kernel with no mods. GApps, Gboard, GSam, Greenify, ForceDoze installed.

Observed more closely the effects: NavBar & StatusBar do not disappear, all home screen icons, clock, dock area etc disappear leaving just the Nav & Status bars and an empty homescreen with wallpaper. After a second, the homescreen goes black and then everything will reappear including icons, clock etc. If you immediately open the App drawer, icons are initially fuzzy/low-res before being redrawn. If you open an App it will close after 1-2secs. The UI will then crash again and the whole process is repeated endlessly until reboot.

This is the same issue affecting RR 32bit ROM only it gives a popup message stating "System UI not responding"

Attachments

• 2018-07-01-07-27-05.zip
    166.9 KB · Views: 1

gioyocho

May 4, 2012

XT1642, latest 32bit build, standard ROM kernel with no mods. GApps, Gboard, GSam, Greenify, ForceDoze installed.

Observed more closely the effects: NavBar & StatusBar do not disappear, all home screen icons, clock, dock area etc disappear leaving just the Nav & Status bars and an empty homescreen with wallpaper. After a second, the homescreen goes black and then everything will reappear including icons, clock etc. If you immediately open the App drawer, icons are initially fuzzy/low-res before being redrawn. If you open an App it will close after 1-2secs. The UI will then crash again and the whole process is repeated endlessly until reboot.

This is the same issue affecting RR 32bit ROM only it gives a popup message stating "System UI not responding"

yes the rom is not stable. it has some issues

raptor170

Apr 9, 2013
Newfoundland

Just had this happen to me today too, lil less than 24 hours and system ui crash like the one explained happened to me as i went into google photos.....rom is so silky smooth and overall feel is good, hopefully i can grab a log cat, hard to know when to grab a log when it happens at random

Xpower7

May 28, 2018
Just had this happen to me today too, lil less than 24 hours and system ui crash like the one explained happened to me as i went into google photos.....rom is so silky smooth and overall feel is good, hopefully i can grab a log cat, hard to know when to grab a log when it happens at random

Happened to my wife's phone today. Go to recovery and wipe dalvik/ART cache and wipe Cache. Reboot and wait 5-10 minutes. That fixed it without losing any data.

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
Happened to my wife's phone today. Go to recovery and wipe dalvik/ART cache and wipe Cache. Reboot and wait 5-10 minutes. That fixed it without losing any data.

Wiping cache/Dalvik makes no difference, it'll happen again (probably around 24hrs later). A simple reboot (without wiping any caches etc) will restore normality until it happens again 24hrs or so later.

You can 'sense' it's going to happen as there are signs: slow response from apps, handset warming up, opening app drawer shows low-res icons initially, perhaps an initial UI failure or unexpected app closure which may give you time to save a logcat before the UI failures keep happening and requiring you to reboot.

If MatLog is installed, then i believe it is logging in the background and if you Save the log immediately on UI failure or once you have booted the phone, then it should hopefully have captured some occurrences of the UI failure prior to you rebooting.

gioyocho

May 4, 2012
Wiping cache/Dalvik makes no difference, it'll happen again (probably around 24hrs later). A simple reboot (without wiping any caches etc) will restore normality until it happens again 24hrs or so later.

You can 'sense' it's going to happen as there are signs: slow response from apps, handset warming up, opening app drawer shows low-res icons initially, perhaps an initial UI failure or unexpected app closure which may give you time to save a logcat before the UI failures keep happening and requiring you to reboot.

If MatLog is installed, then i believe it is logging in the background and if you Save the log immediately on UI failure or once you have booted the phone, then it should hopefully have captured some occurrences of the UI failure prior to you rebooting.
It happened to me on havoc-os rom yesterday. Maybe it is Android O-'s cancer

Xpower7

May 28, 2018

Then we are experiencing different issues, because in my case, normal reboots didn't fixed anything.

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
Then we are experiencing different issues, because in my case, normal reboots didn't fixed anything.

So once you had rebooted your phone it happened again immediately on unlocking the handset?

And did it repeat immediately on unlocking every time you rebooted until you cleared caches in recovery and then booted the system and only then did it not occur the instant you unlocked the handset?

Xpower7

May 28, 2018
So once you had rebooted your phone it happened again immediately on unlocking the handset?

And did it repeat immediately on unlocking every time you rebooted until you cleared caches in recovery and then booted the system and only then did it not occur the instant you unlocked the handset?

1) Yes
2) Yes

As a matter of fact, it has been (just now) 24 hours since that... That reminds me that I should reboot it just in case. xD :silly:
In all seriousness, I'm used to reboot my phones 2 times a day.

smithbill

Jun 24, 2007
Liverpool
As a matter of fact, it has been (just now) 24 hours since that... That reminds me that I should reboot it just in case. xD :silly:
In all seriousness, I'm used to reboot my phones 2 times a day.

Don't reboot it, otherwise we won't know if clearing caches is a permanent cure. Install Matlog and if the issue happens again, you should be able to capture a logcat and upload it here for the Dev to analyse the problem.

raptor170

Apr 9, 2013
Newfoundland
Other than that one systemui issue (which i havnt had again cause i have the phone off at least once a day) the battery life on this rom is astounding!!!

Edit: wow took note of battery, slept 7 hours and only went down 3%, insane

Last edited:

patel jignesh

Apr 7, 2016
one big problem arise .
after i install rom camera was not working
then i reinstall the rom again camera not working
after that i goto advance > recovery
then i see that twrp not open instead of that device inbuilt recovery open ...
what can i do.... reinstall twrp from adb of any other way ...
help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is Candy8. Built straight from source with commits from a variety of different Sources/ROMS. We wanted to give the users a fun, fully customizable ROM. We aim to add more features as this project progresses.

Code:
    #include <disclaimer.h>
    using xdarules std;
    /*
     * Your warranty was void as soon as you unlocked your phone.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

FEATURES:

The ROM is in Alpha stage as of now. The ROM will flash only by using my twrp build or @silesh.nair 's TWRP. Many things are broken with a lot of sepolicy denials. The following things are broken as of now:
    1. Video Recorder
    2. Flashlight
    3. SE Linux

Be patient as the project progresses. Bug reporting should be done in the following fashions:
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/logcat.html
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nathanchance/Android-Tools/master/Guides/Proper_Bug_Reporting.txt

O49zcU4.jpg

gimmeitorilltell
    NoSpamDan
    kdp162
    CertifiedBlyndGuy
    axxx007xxxz
    Flashalot
    rohitporoli
    Venomtester

lhirTj5.jpg

ROM Source: CandyROMs Github
    Officially Supported Devices' repo : CandyROM-Devices
    Device Tree: Pending
    Kernel Tree: Pending
    Vendor Tree: Pending

0YpqBSC.jpg

ROM: https://sourceforge.net/projects/candy-athene/files/Oreo/candy-athene-8.1b-UNOFFICIAL-20180218-1319.zip/download
    TWRP: https://sourceforge.net/projects/twrp-athene/files/twrp-3.2.1-r2-arm64-tywinlannister7.img/download
    GApps: https://sourceforge.net/projects/unofficial-opengapps-8-1/files/arm64/20180213/open_gapps-arm64-8.1-pico-20180213-UNOFFICIAL.zip/download

XDA:DevDB Information
    candy-oreo-athene, ROM for the Moto G4 Plus

Contributors
    tywinlannister7, @Dreamstar
    Source Code: http://github.com/candyroms

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Latest Stock N
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2017-11-24
    Last Updated 2019-11-22
    Update: 13 Dec 2017

Changelog:
    Fix Camera partially
    Quick Setting Toggle for Flashlight now works. (Reboot needed)
    Added some low CPU Frequencies.
    Merged all the ROM side changes. Check https://gerrit.bbqdroid.org/#/q/status:merged upto 12 Dec 2017.

NOTE:
    ~The stock camera app now kinda works but gives poor performance so I will recommend to use Footej Camera after you reboot atleast once.

~Please use some Kernel Manager App to set the minimum value of Big Cluster frequency a bit lower than the one which is shipping with the ROM. My current setup involves minimum big cluster frequency as 249 MHz and the minimum amount of big cluster cores online to 0, along with ZRAM disabled and Swappiness set to 0. @lCrD512 's trick :good:

~People have reported that Magisk is causing UI Sluggishness on Oreo. What I did is flash Magisk 14.5 Beta and after booting up, reboot again. Uptil now, everything seems okay.

Downloads:

ROM: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ca...eta.1.0-UNOFFICIAL-20171213-0609.zip/download
    Magisk 14.5 Latest Beta : https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589
    Update: 17 May 18
    NOTE: All the releases will be 32 bit until and unless I explicitly mention a 64 bit build.

Changelog:
    • Reviver Kernel (formerly known as Babyfish Kernel) has resumed development
    • Disable some wakelocks
    • Fix Audio Control
    • Add TCP congestion avoidance algorithms
    • Add a bit more CPU frequencies than the one on Stock ROM
    • Enable DCache word access
    • Enable Arch Power and provide a toggle
    • CONFIG_HZ set to 300
    • Fix Bluetooth Calling
    • Add sys-fs based Chop Chop Torch Action from OmniROM
    • Add Widewine DRM HAL. (Hopefully fixed Netflix ? )
    • Merge 05 May 18 AOSP Security Patch android_8.1.0_r26
    • Merge a lot of things from candy gerrit. gerrit.bbqdroid.org

What's broken:
    • Camera + Video Recorder (3rd Party Apps working)
    • SE Linux
    • sdcardfs (Didn't have time to merge stuff from AOSP)
    • perfd

Additional Notes:
    This build needs a clean flash. Minimum CPU Frequencies maybe messed up, set according to your usage and preference using EX Kernel Manager or Kernel Auditor. @lCrD512 will help me with the ramdisk part. Remember, I am not a battery oriented person; I will rather expect my phone to perform a bit better and not stutter or give frame drops in regular usage. TurboCharge and camera are the only good things left on the phone in 2018, both of which are on the verge of dying. :p
    This is why I am not adding any useless governors or i/o schedulers, neither I am changing clock speeds or dtsi regulator voltages too much. Users have full freedom to modify the kernel settings and fellow developers can modify the source if need be.

If you use GApps, flash MindTheGApps for now. OpenGApps will give Baseband related issues.

Downloads:
    ROM
    MindTheGapps
    Update: 14 March 2018

Update

Highlights of the update are:
    14 March 2018

* Merge 5 March 2018 security patch with AOSP 8.1.0_r18 release
    * Increase ZRAM to 1 GB
    * Disable Speaker Protection
    * Disable Auto Brightness and Live Display on first boot
    * Fix Safetynet temporarily : Use walleye's (Google Pixel 2) build fingerprint.
    * Enable Spectrum Support and port Lightning Blade to Oreo
    * Add sound control (maybe broken)
    * Allow home button to be changed for various actions.
    * Add more CPU frequencies.
    * Disable Wakelocks by default
    * TCP Congestion Avoidance controls ( not tested )
    * Update VoLTE properties
    * Use LZMA Compression for Recovery Ramdisk
    * Disable add_random from kernel. Not required on SSDs. (eMMCs in our case)
    * Enable Arch Power
    * Adreno idler ramps down more aggressively now
    * Enhance linux topology for multicore decision making
    * Enable Arch Power
    * Some speed and time efficient changes :3 hard to explain here.
    * Changes from CandyROMs' and AOSP source
    * Use latest HALs from CAF release LA.BR.1.3.7-03810-8976.0

Download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ca...ne-8.1b-UNOFFICIAL-20180312-1431.zip/download

Thanks to Vivek Rai for testing the ROM. I have not personally tested this build due to lack of time. Anyways, if you face errors other than those mentioned in the OP, report them here itself. Babyfish kernel might also get an update soon by the weekend. Cheers! :D
    CandyROM 8 Oreo Update:

Test whatever you can ?

Download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ca...eta.1.0-UNOFFICIAL-20171205-1458.zip/download

Changelog:

Ships with BabyFish kernel (upstreamed it to 3.10.108)
    Fingerprint boost driver added from Kenzo (Agni Kernel)
    Added sound control by flar2
    Kernel side fixes
    Lots of new stuff in CandyShop
    Fixed RIL (Calls and Messaging work fine now, even VoLTE)
    Fixed 5 GHz WiFI
    Fixed trash quality audio Playback from Google Play Music
    Magisk 14.5 beta now works fine.
    Alarms now ring properly.
    ROM boots with Open Gapps. I have tried aroma (about a week old). Booting time also depends on how many apps you've installed.

More changes:
    https://gerrit.bbqdroid.org/#/q/status:merged
    up till 6.30 PM 5 Dec 17 IST

Things that are broken:
    Camera and flashlight
    SE Linux
    Safetynet

Next week I will experiment with SDClang 4.0 , I have disabled it as of now..
    For reporting bugs please use an app like Matlog or use adb for taking logs and report them in proper etiquette.