• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[EOL] CM-12.1 [22 Sep 2016]

Search This thread

chipsugar

May 13, 2013
What is Bluetooth like nowadays for cm12? I'd like to switch to lollipop but I use Fire Nexus for taking and retro gaming so no Bluetooth gamepad is a deal breaker for me.

Oh and thanks to ggow & co for setting this device free.

DerMarder

Mar 20, 2015
Bielefeld
Can anyone help me? I Need to use usb tethering but it is not available in the settings menu. Its just not where it normally would be. :(
I would like to have a Usb Network Connection between my computer and my tablet.
Thank you very much!:D

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
How can I switch to this version from CM11 ?
Are you running CM 11 under Safestrap? If so the bootloader on your device is likely locked. You can unlock using the procedure here but it's not for the inexperienced. Unlocking the bootloader is a prerequisite to installing a custom recovery and most ROMs for this device. Unless you have a solid technical background (and lots of time) I suggest remaining on CM11 until a simplified bootloader unlock procedure becomes available.

Reactions: XtheWiz

XtheWiz

Jan 27, 2011
Are you running CM 11 under Safestrap? If so the bootloader on your device is likely locked. You can unlock using the procedure here but it's not for the inexperienced. Unlocking the bootloader is a prerequisite to installing a custom recovery and most ROMs for this device. Unless you have a solid technical background (and lots of time) I suggest remaining on CM11 until a simplified bootloader unlock procedure becomes available.

Ah, thank you very much. I decide to stay with CM11. :)

Antonntminh

Dec 30, 2011
Flashed this ROM after others get my wi-fi connection simultaneously disconnect, and don't have any problem so far. Just drop this in case anyone have the same issue with mine, kudos to OP :)

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Flashed this ROM after others get my wi-fi connection simultaneously disconnect, and don't have any problem so far. Just drop this in case anyone have the same issue with mine, kudos to OP :)
Been using this ROM in lieu of CM-13 for several months and have yet to experience a significant WiFi issue. Sometimes takes a few seconds to connect when emerging from sleep; no longer than some of my other devices. Toss in Nova, GravityBox and Greenify and you have a ROM that cosmetically and functionally mirrors the most appealing features of Marshmallow.

kr428

Folks; I'm carefully inspecting buying a Kindle 8(?) tablet, looking for an "inexpensive" device to run cm on. Is cm12.1 (or even a latter variant) available for the *current* generation of Kindle 8.9 devices? Which device to get if I want to have this system successfully installed?
TIA,
K.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Folks; I'm carefully inspecting buying a Kindle 8(?) tablet, looking for an "inexpensive" device to run cm on. Is cm12.1 (or even a latter variant) available for the *current* generation of Kindle 8.9 devices? Which device to get if I want to have this system successfully installed?
TIA,
K.
Current (4th gen) HDX devices can sometimes be rooted (depends on FireOS build) but not unlocked. No custom ROMs available. You'll need to go with a 3rd gen device all of which can be sucessfully unlocked. That opens the door to the full suite of custom ROMs including KitKat, Lollipop and Marshmallow variants.

From a hardware perspective there is little difference between 3rd and 4th gen devices. Cost, warranty, customizability and battery age (non-replaceable) are the primary considerations IMHO.

Reactions: kr428

kr428

Current (4th gen) HDX devices can sometimes be rooted (depends on FireOS build) but not unlocked. No custom ROMs available. You'll need to go with a 3rd gen device all of which can be sucessfully unlocked. That opens the door to the full suite of custom ROMs including KitKat, Lollipop and Marshmallow variants.

Ok, thanks for your explanation. So I'll see whether I can find an older variant of this device. I'm looking mainly for a playground / minimal "working" device for kids where I neither want to spend money on buying high-end hardware nor want to have *all* the Google stuff on, that's why I am looking into an "inexpensive" solution to run CM. Let's see how far this gets me. :)
Thanks,
K.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Ok, thanks for your explanation. So I'll see whether I can find an older variant of this device. I'm looking mainly for a playground / minimal "working" device for kids where I neither want to spend money on buying high-end hardware nor want to have *all* the Google stuff on, that's why I am looking into an "inexpensive" solution to run CM. Let's see how far this gets me. :)
Thanks,
K.
Also consider a 5th gen Fire which retails for $50 USD (new) and often can be had for <$30 USD from Amazon Warehouse. Runs CM 12.1 like a champ. You will sacrifice screen size/resolution which is most noticeable with text based apps/pages; less so with games and many types of video playback. You'll gain SD card and OTG support which could be a deal breaker on HDX which does not offer either. Obviously age/needs/expectations of intended users (kids) comes into play. Good luck.

binhdroid

Nov 20, 2016
Hey guys,,

I tried updating after the tablet told me there was a new update avaible (18th November), after download it booted into TWRP and then rebootet. Now I am kinda stuck at the loading Screen (blue cyanogenmod face) going on and on until the battery is depleted.
Shut it down and tried to get into recovery mode to use a older, working backup, but it doesnt load into recovery (power and volume up at kindle fire Screen, wasnt it?).
This whole thing is kinda learning by doing for me, so I guess this was some simple user error

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hey guys,,

I tried updating after the tablet told me there was a new update avaible (18th November), after download it booted into TWRP and then rebootet. Now I am kinda stuck at the loading Screen (blue cyanogenmod face) going on and on until the battery is depleted.
Shut it down and tried to get into recovery mode to use a older, working backup, but it doesnt load into recovery (power and volume up at kindle fire Screen, wasnt it?).
This whole thing is kinda learning by doing for me, so I guess this was some simple user error
- daily updates are not available for this rom; ignore in the future
- you will need to reload last stable build posted in OP
- power down device (long press power button if needed)
- boot into TWRP using <power>+<vol-up>
- transfer rom zip to device via usb tether
- recommend wiping system partition; leave data alone
- reflash CM from install menu

claywd

Sep 8, 2010
Houston
I can't get this thing to finish booting.

I wiped the system/data/dalvik/cache
flashed the .zip
reboot

and it is just stuck at the boot logo.

I did go through the procedure to unlock the bootloader though and it said it was unlocked on the fastboot screen but it doesn't seem to matter. Suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1oXkC6z.png

Code:
    [COLOR="gray"]
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */
    [/COLOR]

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Must have an unlocked bootloader
    - Must have working TWRP

Known Issues
    - MINOR - On Apollo there is a small glitch in rotation animation when screen transitions between on->off state - Fixed
    - MEDIUM - Bluetooth, GPS and LTE need to be debugged

Fresh Installation
    - Factory Reset
    - Flash the ROM File
    - Flash Open Gapps of your choice.
    - Reboot
    - On first boot it will take about 15-30 seconds before the boot animation appears

Upgrading to new Version
    - Flash the ROM File
    - Reboot

Downloads
    - APOLLO rom
    - THOR rom
    - Open Gapps

Source Code
    - Kernel Source is here.

Historical Record (Old thread contents)

Hi !

Here is cm-12.1 (lollipop 5.1.1) for the Apollo and Thor kindle fire hdx ! This is the work of @dpeddi, @ggow, @Hashcode and me.

The Apollo version is not ready yet but should be available soon.

Requirements
    - Unlocked Bootloader

Installation
    - See cm-11 threads for now

Bugs
    - WiFi can't be enabled if disabled (reboot required)
    - BT crash on disable
    - LTE data should or will work @dpeddi fix merged manually may contains errors, and may need matching ril/fw/bl)
    - BT should work

Downloads / Changelog
    - cm-12.1-20150815-UNOFFICIAL-thor.zip
    - Latest CM sources
    - Uses Amazon .4.5.5 binaries

- cm-12.1-20150814-UNOFFICIAL-thor.zip
    - Latest CM sources

- cm-12.1-20150522-UNOFFICIAL-thor.zip
    - Latest CM sources
    - Landscape locking bug fix
    - Enable multi-user support (up to 5 max)

cm-12.1-20150508-UNOFFICIAL-thor.zip
    - Camera fixed
    - Updated to 5.1.1
    - See github for more details.

cm-12.1-20150403-UNOFFICIAL-thor.zip
    - Fixed lock rotation in landscape bug

cm-12-20150312-UNOFFICIAL-thor.zip
    - fix lte
    - fix drm (netflix, google video...) by using libwvdrmengine blob from LG G3 D855 5.x blob
    - disable google video codecs (fix netflix...)
    - remove audio.primary.msm8974 blob dependency

Credits
    - Cyanogen
    - CAF
    - Hashcode, Cpasjuste and dpeddi who are awesome

XDA:DevDB Information
    cm-12.1 apollo/thor , ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
    Cpasjuste, ggow, dpeddi, Hashcode
    ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Unlocked Bootloader
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2015-03-09
    Last Updated 2017-06-01
    Hi guys,

I had some time to work on the new kernel this weekend and I *think* it's is decent shape for testing. I let the active HDX devs know I had pushed the fix for the camera and hopefully I can get some solid debugging on Apollo to fix the display soon.

For those curious, the sources are currently here:
    https://github.com/KFire-Android/kernel_amazon_hdx-common (cm-12.1 branch)

I'm also going to try and get the RIL fixes pulled into my cm-12.1 device branches, so we can get ready for official CyanogenMod device builds.

- Hash
    Thanks, is there something I can fix? or does it need a new rom build?

- Needs a new build
    - I have spent the last however much time learning how to fix issues with CM-12 on Apollo
    - I think I now have enough info up update Github with the latest changes
    - I have revised Amazon's Synaptics Driver so that the touch rotation is no longer 90 degrees askew from the framebuffer
    - This also means for Apollo the natural screen orientation will be landscape - which makes sense given where the camera is and the hardware buttons.
    - I have added a new attribute in the DeviceTree Bindings so that the mod can be enabled selectively, so as not to effect the thor implementation
    - This means no more patches to the framework to handle rotation properly
    - The video issues no longer exist
    - After I have got through a few things I will make the required changes, fork the bits of CM-12 that need special attention for our devices
    - Then will rebuild and release
    - I can't say exactly when I will get it done by but it won't be too far from now.
    - I'll make new build for both thor and apollo
    Update

New build on OP - cm-12.1-20150508-UNOFFICIAL-thor.zip
    Hi everyone, I have been extremely busy at work - and everything else life throws at us including the bursts of sunshine which have to be enjoyed- so have not had much time recently. Pretty much the same for the other guys.

We'll get back to it and progress very shortly I'm sure.