[EOL] [KERNEL] [I9300] [Lineage14/CM13,12,11,10/Omnirom] Boeffla-Kernel (28-03-2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

just4u32

Jan 3, 2013
Hey @Lord Boeffla,
First, I'd like to thank you for your kernel and sound modifications (which I've been using for a long time).

I'm having some issues with all CM11 version roms (Temasek's, Probam, clean Omni and some more). I'm getting very bad battery life with either temasek's kernel or your omnirom kernel.
I have no idea what's wrong. I've UC to 1200, and UV both CPU and GPU quite heavily. Running zzmove (on various battery saving settings). I have also greenified all apps that were running in the background beside BBS and Whatsapp.
FastDormancy is off as well.

I am losing a lot of battery with very little screen on time.

I'll be also posting this on Temasek's thread as he might have different thoughts. You can watch it here (on page 5568) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=50188341&postcount=56674

Here are two BBS dumps of a full (or nearly full) cycle. Hope you can help with what's wrong as I want to maximize my battery life for a trip I'm going to very soon. Thanks!!!

http://www.pasteall.org/49378 or on dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohk2ekcfrw6ylr2/BetterBatteryStats-2014-02-08_092357786.txt
http://www.pasteall.org/49379 or on dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg9aovgiqlyi18z/BetterBatteryStats-2014-02-09_224627414.txt

Last edited:

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
www.boeffla.de
@Lord Boeffla
Hi Andi,
Is there any option to disable dynamic fsync on this kernel?
I'm asking since afaik there is a risk of curreption on a hot reboot if dynamic fsync is enabled (I actually faced this problem in the past on another kernel)

Thanks!!!

Not in the app. You would need to use an init.d script doing the following:

echo 0 > /sys/kernel/dyn_fsync/Dyn_fsync_active

I never heard of issues from users so far, that is why it is not configurable in the app and switched on by default.

simple issue : skipping frames in youtube & facebook videos & imdb videos..... etc is it kernel issue or the rom issue is thier any fix ?

i9300 temas v41 & Boeffla

I do not know. How is it going with kernel that comes with Temasek?

I am using them as Cm build. I have tried using version 2.2.1 and have a stutter when using this kernel. (like a freeze frame type effect) I refreshed the rom and all was fine, went back to 2.1.10 and still stutters, again refreshed rom and all fine.
Anyone else had this issue? What can be causing it?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

What rom are you using?
I recommend for almost all roms to use the Omnirom kernel, unless you are on pure Cyanogenmod 11.

Hey @Lord Boeffla,
First, I'd like to thank you for your kernel and sound modifications (which I've been using for a long time).

I'm having some issues with all CM11 version roms (Temasek's, Probam, clean Omni and some more). I'm getting very bad battery life with either temasek's kernel or your omnirom kernel.
I have no idea what's wrong. I've UC to 1200, and UV both CPU and GPU quite heavily. Running zzmove (on various battery saving settings). I have also greenified all apps that were running in the background beside BBS and Whatsapp.
FastDormancy is off as well.

I am losing a lot of battery with very little screen on time.

I'll be also posting this on Temasek's thread as he might have different thoughts. You can watch it here (on page 5568) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=50188341&postcount=56674

Here are two BBS dumps of a full (or nearly full) cycle. Hope you can help with what's wrong as I want to maximize my battery life for a trip I'm going to very soon. Thanks!!!

http://www.pasteall.org/49378 or on dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohk2ekcfrw6ylr2/BetterBatteryStats-2014-02-08_092357786.txt
http://www.pasteall.org/49379 or on dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg9aovgiqlyi18z/BetterBatteryStats-2014-02-09_224627414.txt

You are having all sort of issues I can see.

First, your ProximitySensor was active for 40 minutes. I read something about it on other threads for Temasek rom, but I did never pay attention a lot.

Then you are having wakelocks caused by the modem. This can be an improper modem for your provider, or a RIL mismatch, oder just bad signal etc.
Threads are full on that issue everywhere and what all to try (switch off fast dormancy etc.)

Hope that helps.

Andi

Reactions: coto39 and 2rgman

Yank555

Sep 18, 2009
if dynamic fsync is enabled (I actually faced this problem in the past on another kernel)

This is not quite true...

A hotreboot is just a Dalvik VM restart, so OS (Linux, kernel) is not involved and not restarting, so no risk from dyn. fsync.

Also if the kernel panics, still should be fine, fsync will catch it and flush the outstanding write operations before the kernel reboots the device.

Only things that would be a bad idea is a plain battery pull while screen is on or a very hard kernel crash still while screen is on, which really happens extremely seldomly, really.

Also a regular Nandroid is never a bad idea, whatever dyn.fsync is set to.

JP.

Send from my 'proudly eFused' Note 3 (n9005) running Yank555.lu AOSP v0.91-beta2 kernel.

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
www.boeffla.de
2.2-beta2

Hi all,

time for a new beta (both Omnirom and CM11 versions):

2.2-beta2

Change log

• zzmoove updated to version 0.8-beta10 (credits to ZaneZam) + Profiles reworked
  • Compiled with Google gcc 4.8 (instead of gcc 4.7)
  • su updated to version 1.93 (credits to Chainfire)
  • Fixed permissions in Boeffla-Config app fixing app permissions in /system/app and /data/app now
  • Omnirom version: Initramfs updated to version of 09.02.14
  • CM11 version: Initramfs updated to version of snapshot M3 from 10.02.14
Enjoy
Andi

cheese458

Jul 27, 2013
Hi all,

time for a new beta (both Omnirom and CM11 versions):

2.2-beta2

Change log

• zzmoove updated to version 0.8-beta10 (credits to ZaneZam) + Profiles reworked
  • Compiled with Google gcc 4.8 (instead of gcc 4.7)
  • su updated to version 1.93 (credits to Chainfire)
  • Fixed permissions in Boeffla-Config app fixing app permissions in /system/app and /data/app now
  • Omnirom version: Initramfs updated to version of 09.02.14
  • CM11 version: Initramfs updated to version of snapshot M3 from 10.02.14
Enjoy
Andi

Installed safely!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

limitedMUSCL

Nov 23, 2013
San Giuseppe dei Campi
Hi, I'm running cm11 latest nightly, and would like to enhance sound.

I've seen that omnirom original kernel has the sound engine available. Does CM have the same? I couldn't find it clearly here, so I'm guessing it does not, but I would like to confirm this really.

And, how does one set the sound parameters in omni? Using the kernel config v2 too? I didn't quite get it in the post from @f0xy here...

And I may be veeery incompetent with the search in this forum but does the kernel need to be reflashed at every new nightly update?

Thanks

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

f0xy

Aug 23, 2010
Manchester

I've seen that omnirom original kernel has the sound engine available. Does CM have the same? I couldn't find it clearly here, so I'm guessing it does not, but I would like to confirm this really.

And, how does one set the sound parameters in omni? Using the kernel config v2 too? I didn't quite get it in the post from @f0xy here...

And I may be veeery incompetent with the search in this forum but does the kernel need to be reflashed at every new nightly update?

Thanks

If your using the omni kernel, I haven't tried the boeffla v2 app to adjust just the sound so I can't comment

I used the boeffla sound app which was enough to enable the engine but could not make use of all the features as the app may need updating, bear in mind that the sound app isn't made by Andi.

Someone may be able to give you a more clear concise answer here and also may correct anything I have said if it's incorrect

The easiest method would be to use boeffla kernel with the v2 app as it is perfect ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: limitedMUSCL

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
www.boeffla.de

Thanks

Very simple - all my kernels for S3 (Samsung, Omnirom, CM11) and n80xx (Samsung) have the same sound engine on board - Boeffla-Sound 1.6.5.

I recommend clearly to install the free Boeffla-Config V2 app as this will give you access to all configuration options of the kernel, of course also sound.

After you flashed an Omnirom update, you need to reflash the kernel, yes.
If you flash Omnirom in CWM, you can directly flash the kernel afterwards before you reboot again.
This is due to the fact, Omnirom replaces the installed kernel always by it's own one.

Andi

limitedMUSCL

Nov 23, 2013
San Giuseppe dei Campi
Very simple - all my kernels for S3 (Samsung, Omnirom, CM11) and n80xx (Samsung) have the same sound engine on board - Boeffla-Sound 1.6.5.

I recommend clearly to install the free Boeffla-Config V2 app as this will give you access to all configuration options of the kernel, of course also sound.

After you flashed an Omnirom update, you need to reflash the kernel, yes.
If you flash Omnirom in CWM, you can directly flash the kernel afterwards before you reboot again.
This is due to the fact, Omnirom replaces the installed kernel always by it's own one.

Andi

Wow, answer directly from the master! :) honoured!

I'm using CM here, but I guess it'll be the same, I'll need to reflash kernel at every nightly update, right? Omni has automatic flash after, I guess CM does not...

And from the answers I can also assume that the CM *own* kernel does not include your sound engine (like omni does), right?

Just for curiosity, I didn't get it: The sound engine in the omni *own* kernel (not boeffla kernel) requires v2 config app too?

Thanks

2rgman

Apr 15, 2012
Not in the app. You would need to use an init.d script doing the following:

echo 0 > /sys/kernel/dyn_fsync/Dyn_fsync_active

I never heard of issues from users so far, that is why it is not configurable in the app and switched on by default.

Thanks!
Do I need to set it on every boot (with init.d or something)? or this settings are saved?

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
www.boeffla.de
Hi!

Yes, same for CM. Also after a CM update, the kernel needs to be flashed again.

The CM own kernel does not have a hardware sound engine included. Omnirom developers however have cherry picked my sound engine, yes.

If you want to use the kernel that comes with Omnirom, you cannot use Boeffla-Config as this requires a full-blown Boeffla Kernel to be installed.
For this, I guess, you would need to fall-back to the 3rd party app "Boeffla Sound" by Simone. But expect some limitations as the app was not updated for more than half a year.

Andi

2rgman

Apr 15, 2012
This is not quite true...

A hotreboot is just a Dalvik VM restart, so OS (Linux, kernel) is not involved and not restarting, so no risk from dyn. fsync.

Also if the kernel panics, still should be fine, fsync will catch it and flush the outstanding write operations before the kernel reboots the device.

Only things that would be a bad idea is a plain battery pull while screen is on or a very hard kernel crash still while screen is on, which really happens extremely seldomly, really.

Also a regular Nandroid is never a bad idea, whatever dyn.fsync is set to.

JP.

Send from my 'proudly eFused' Note 3 (n9005) running Yank555.lu AOSP v0.91-beta2 kernel.

Sorry, I guess I used the wrong term, I mean when the phone stuck and I need to click 10 seconds on the power button the device will reboot. (I guess it's the same as battery pull). Anyway, thanks for the clarification!

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

:confused: Well, I wrote:

Not in the app. You would need to use an init.d script doing the following​

So, yes, this needs to be set during every restart in init.d :)

Andi

Ooops...

didn't see that, sorry...
Thanks again!

f0xy

Aug 23, 2010
Manchester
Hi!

Yes, same for CM. Also after a CM update, the kernel needs to be flashed again.

The CM own kernel does not have a hardware sound engine included. Omnirom developers however have cherry picked my sound engine, yes.

If you want to use the kernel that comes with Omnirom, you cannot use Boeffla-Config as this requires a full-blown Boeffla Kernel to be installed.
For this, I guess, you would need to fall-back to the 3rd party app "Boeffla Sound" by Simone. But expect some limitations as the app was not updated for more than half a year.

Andi

This is the more in depth answer I was looking for you :)

Reactions: andip71

gitlygit

Feb 27, 2011
What rom are you using?
I recommend for almost all roms to use the Omnirom kernel, unless you are on pure Cyanogenmod 11.

I am using Tamaseks unofficial CM 11, both build 42 & 43 suffered the stuttering.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

mad_ady

May 8, 2008
@Lord Boeffla: I wonder if you could explain it to me how the USB mass storage mode works internally in your kernel/app .
I know that for S3 one needs usb gadget support (activated by echoing the device path to /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file for instance), but the problem I experienced with it was with unmounting the sd card before switching to UMS mode. I use a tasker script and I used to do it through the umount command ( checking that there aren't open files with lsof), and it works, but just the first time. After remounting the sd card (and running vold) I am unable to unmount it cleanly with the umount command. Also, any apks that use the .android_secure mount point stop working until I reboot.

I'd like to know what you are doing differently (because using the UMS checkbox in your app works fine all the time) and how you are managing the sd card being remounted (I might learn a thing or two).

I'm asking mostly out of curiosity - I'll probably retire my tasker scripts anyway...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** Note: This kernel is end-of-life and will no more be maintained. There will be no LineageOS 15.1 or newer kernel be available anymore **

Hi all,

this is the thread about the CM version of the well-known Boeffla-Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 international.

Note: This kernel is only for CM based roms!!! Do not install it on a Samsung based rom!!!
    For Omnirom, please do not use the CM kernel but the separate Omnirom kernel I also provide.

Difference NG kernels to normal kernels:
    NG = next generation, it does use pure Samsung source codes only, not the smdk4412 kernel sources of the CM or Omnirom team anymore.

If you are unsure whether to use the NG or the normal kernel, I recommend NG kernel always! Try it first if it works fine for you.

For the Samsung Boeffla-Kernel, please go HERE.

If you have questions to settings, presets, others configuration and wanna share your configuration, head over to the unofficial Boeffla-Config App Config sharing thread:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2621308

Important notes

When using new anykernel concept Boeffla-Kernel: Flash stock kernel of rom first !

Compatibility

Important: This kernel is only meant to be compatible with official Cyanogenmod and nothing else.
    So when the kernel does not run on custom rom XYZ, do not even bother me with it or ask hundred times in the thread for compatibility.
    I could not care less about it !!

Support

First read the FAQ section on the Homepage !!!

Click here to learn about all possible kernel settings in the config app.
    Click here to learn about using the config app.

I will refuse any support if you do any undervolting and experience freezes or hot reboots.

I will also not provide any support if you do not use Boeffla-Config app to tweak the kernel, other 3rd party tweaking apps are known (and intended) to cause issues.

I will refuse to give support if you have xposed framework installed and reporting any kind of weird issues. My opinion to xposed it quite clear: too powerful for >90% of the users that just mess up their system with it.

Change logs

(you can also access them directly in Boeffla-Config V2 by pressing menu and selecting "change log...")

Change log for CM12.0: KLICK HERE

Change log for CM11.0 NG: KLICK HERE
    Change log for CM11.0: KLICK HERE
    Change log for Omnirom: KLICK HERE

Change log for CM10.2: KLICK HERE
    Change log for CM10.1 kernels: KLICK HERE

Features

* Support of anykernel concept (only latest kernels) - flash stock kernel before flashing Boeffla
    * To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from here: DOWNLOAD
    * Support for generic framework naming convention framework-2.jar instead of proprietary rom framework names
    * Upstreamed to Linux 3.0.101(www.kernel.org)
    * CPU "soft" overclocking to 1500 or 1600 MHz
    * CPU undervolting interface
    * GPU frequencies configurable (underclocking, overclocking up to 700 MHz)
    * GPU voltages configurable (undervolting, overvolting)
    * Configurable zRam
    * Configurable touch-to-wake
    * Configurable touch boost frequency
    * Configurable early suspend time (for screen off animations, 100ms default)
    * Configurable LED for fading mode, speed and brightness
    * Softkey touch button LEDs controllable
    * Configurable charger rate for AC, USB and wireless (default increased to 1100 mA for ac charging)
    * Charge information display support via Boeffla-Config V2 app
    * Charging logic supports ignore unstable power and remove safety margin
    * Boeffla-Sound engine V1.6.5 to unleash the power of the Galaxy S3 audio chip
    * Additional governors: zzmoove 0.7d, pegasusqplus, smartassv2 and lulzactiveq
    * Governor profiles for pegasusq, pegasusqplus and zzmoove for performance, battery saving etc. (2 more zzmoove profiles added - credits to Yank)
    * Additional schedulers: ROW, ZEN, BFQ (v6r2) and SIO
    * Schedulers configurable separate for internal and external SD memory
    * Hardcore speedmod sharpness fix implemented (default is off)
    * Black crush fix for better balanced display
    * SD card read ahead buffer configurable separate for internal and external SD memory (default increased to 256 kB)
    * Ext4 File system tweaks (default to on, can be disabled)
    * System Tweaks predefined supported (default is off, new Mattiadj tweak set included)
    * WIFI Multicast filter for better battery life
    * WIFI wakelock times reduction
    * Proportional rate reduction for TCP
    * TCP congestion changed from Cubic to Westwood
    * Wifi mac address change support
    * Dynamic fsync 1.2 implemented
    * Timeout for external SD card changed to improve handling of crappy SD cards
    * Swap supported (but not recommended, use zRam instead)
    * init.d support (in /system/etc/init.d - set correct permissions!)
    * NTFS (read-only access only!) compiled as a module
    * CIFS compiled as a module
    * NFS compiled as a module
    * XBox controller support as module
    * exFat support (if supported by used firmware)
    * Battery monitor wakelocks reduced
    * Android logger can be disabled
    * Disabled various debug logs and traces
    * Frandom compiled as a module (for mods like Crossbreeder)
    * Triangle away supported
    * Automatic EFS backup to external (priority) or internal SD Card (fallback) - now compatible with tools like kTool
    * Kernel initialisation log file (with history of 3 log files)
    * Emergency reset script automatically placed into /boeffla-kernel-data folder of your internal memory
    * Compatibility to common standard apps (Voltage Control, SetCPU, System tuner etc.)
    * Compiled with Google arm 4.7 toolchain
    * Internal kernel busybox version 1.21.1

Download

For all information and downloads (stable AND testing versions), visit the Boeffla-Kernel homepage:
    www.boeffla.de

History

Basically I created the Samsung version of Boeffla-Kernel as there was no kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 around that had exactly the mix of functionalities that I wanted. I wanted to have full flexibility in undervolting and charge rates for instance, but did not like the sharpness and/or brightness tweaks many kernels have implemented as per default.

Hence, I began to create my own kernel after a while, adding all the features I like. This is the result of my work, which in the end I decided to share with you. I hope you like it as much as I do.

The objective of this kernel is to have a kernel for daily use. It does not aim for best battery life, or best smoothness or best benchmark scores. It aims more for a good mix of all, not sacrificing stability and functionality in the end.
    And - most important: It aims to stay quite close to stock !!! Which in fact for the CM kernel means now... close to CM kernel sources.

This said, I will definitely NEVER implement:

• dual boot (I do not need it)
    • color "calibration" (I do not like it, but I like the crispy stock colours)
    • real hard overclocking higher than 1600 MHz as this is outside of Exynos specs
    • f2fs - it is known to cause various issues and compatibility problems
    • a CAF based kernel
    • anything that requires upstreaming of kernel parts to a higher kernel major version
    So do not even ask for it. Everything else I am happy to check and decide.

Compatibility

To reiterate it again: This kernel is only for CM10.1 and CM10.2 based firmwares. It is not designed to run on Samsung based roms!

Configuration of the kernel

To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from the downloads section on www.boeffla.de.

Donation

If you like my work, feel free to donate: Donation-Link

You will receive a personal donation code which unlocks some nice comfort functions in Boeffla-Config V2 on top.

Source code

All sources can be found in my Github repository: http://github.com/andip71

Credits to developers

Of course, I had never been able to create all that by my own. So I want to give credits to the really good developers around, that have given me all the inspiration and from which I cherry picked lots of the implemented functionalities:

* Yank555
    * ZaneZam
    * Hardcore
    * Chainfire
    * Harunjo
    * AndreiLux
    * Netarchy
    * Gokhanmoral
    * Simone201
    * Supercurio
    * Mialwe
    * Entropy512
    * Faux

... I just hope I did not forget someone. If so, please let me know and I will add you of course.
    Thanks to all of you for your great work !!!

Disclaimer

*** As always - Flash on our own risk! ***

Make sure you flash the correct version depending on your firmware version!

I can and will not take any responsibility for bricked phones or lost data.

It is generally recommended to run a complete Nandroid backup in CWM recovery and safely store your personal data before you flash a new kernel.

Cheers and enjoy
    Andi
    A picture...

A picture says more than 1000 words.

Andi
    2.2 stable

Hi all,

finally it is there - 2.2 stable (both Omnirom and CM11 Kernels).

Version 2.2 stable

• Slight correction to zzmoove Yank profiles (credits to Yank555)
    Will change OP soon.

Cheers
    Andi
    Kernel updates for CM13 and a very last CM11 one

Hi all,

I am back from my x-mas holidays, so I release a new CM13 Boeffla-Kernel for you in beta4.

At the same time, CM11 is finally "dead" now (in terms of CM builds), so also two last CM11 kernels (NG and normal) are finally released.

CM13 -- Version 5.0-beta4

• Important: You need at least Boeffla-Config V2 in version 2.2.16 or higher on this kernel !!!
    • Update: Updated with latest official CM kernel commits
    • Update: Ramdisk of official CM13.0 build of 28.12.15

CM11 (NG and non-NG) -- Version 2.13 stable - Final

• Updated ramdisk to version of nightly 13.12.15
    • Changed compiler switches

Enjoy
    Andi
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android