[EOL][MOD] BlackenedMod v4.0 (Pixel 4 / Pixel 4 XL)

Search This thread

1dopewrx05

Tbh, there's plenty of reasons to root. I found a really good addition to even use Xposed now that there's a way to get it working with Google Pay, but there's a module called FingerFace that lets you had your face as a fingerprint basically. Coming from the Taimen as well, I miss the fingerprint, but this was perfect. :p
What Xposed method are you referring to? I'm curious for myself

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
Tbh, there's plenty of reasons to root. I found a really good addition to even use Xposed now that there's a way to get it working with Google Pay, but there's a module called FingerFace that lets you had your face as a fingerprint basically. Coming from the Taimen as well, I miss the fingerprint, but this was perfect. :p

Heh. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but I will shortly. I've (finally!) found the GCam PX Mod I want to use. Now I *have* to root.

At least I'm stuck at home all the time. It's a lot easier to find the time to do these kinda things when I'm not having to run around and thus need my device up and working.

xFirefly93

Jan 10, 2018
Timrå
Update!

Note: It is recommended that you reboot your phone after you have applied v4.0 so the personal and fully customized changes takes full effect and is fully up & running as intended. Don't forget to also flash the Busybox Magisk module!

Version v4.0 (EOL Release):
- Final release for the Google Pixel 4(XL) line-up
- Configured and tuned everything for stability
- Some other additionally major & minor things

If you optionally want to donate a beer or five as a way to show your appreciation for all the dedicated hours and work that I am putting into this mod on a daily rate - then this link is the way to go:

Donations

Enjoy! :)

rickysidhu_

Apr 1, 2016
Vancouver
Update!

Note: It is recommended that you reboot your phone after you have applied v4.0 so the personal and fully customized changes takes full effect and is fully up & running as intended. Don't forget to also flash the Busybox Magisk module!

If you optionally want to donate a beer or five as a way to show your appreciation for all the dedicated hours and work that I am putting into this mod on a daily rate - then this link is the way to go:

Donations

Hey thanks for the update!

I just have a question regarding the EOL status,

Is this mod EOL because you feel this is the maximum amount of tuning that can possibly be done for this device? Or is it because you've moved on to another device/no longer wish to support the 4(XL) lineup?

Just curious! Thanks again.

xFirefly93

Jan 10, 2018
Timrå
Hey thanks for the update!

I just have a question regarding the EOL status,

Is this mod EOL because you feel this is the maximum amount of tuning that can possibly be done for this device? Or is it because you've moved on to another device/no longer wish to support the 4(XL) lineup?

Just curious! Thanks again.

BlackenedMod for Pixel 4(XL) is EOL:ed thanks to the fact that I've grown tired of pretending that this device was worth the 12000 SEK that I paid for it, no matter how much I now love some of the aspects of it - the camera is still the king of the hill among all the Android devices, the only true challenger to it is my iPhone 11 Pro Max which is my primary daily driver today. But for answering your question as properly as possible - the 4(XL) series is not that well-made and have a lot of issues that Google seems to not give a **** about - one of them is the inconsistent battery life that just have mind****ed me since Day 1 when it have shifted on a alarming rate from being good to awful and back to good again and so on, like if it is something that I can't see with apps like BBS that slowly eats up my battery life deeply in the background (and no, it's not an misbehaving wakelock or all-time running service because I would have noticed it then from the beginning.) Add the fact that Google seems to lack a vision about what they even want to do with their devices or how we, the users, should see and remember them as, which also turns me off to some additional extent.

This is just a few examples of why I am selling my 4XL. I hope that Google gets their stuff together on the 4a(XL?) series and finally delivers the same experience that the Pixel 2(XL) line-up was able to give me. If that now may happen, I will be all-in back, but instead on the 4a section of the green grass.

We'll see..

Madjax2020

Dec 7, 2019
Update!

Donations

Thank you sir for all you have done.

bradical711

Aug 26, 2017
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6
Update!

Donations

Noticed you have two different TCP congestion algorithms in place inside of the new script. BBR and Westwood. Don't know if this was intentional but I don't believe it is. Maybe you forgot to delete one of them? Your opinion.?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using XDA Labs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200524-163433.jpg
    Screenshot_20200524-163433.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 334

rickysidhu_

Apr 1, 2016
Vancouver
BlackenedMod for Pixel 4(XL) is EOL:ed thanks to the fact that I've grown tired of pretending that this device was worth the 12000 SEK that I paid for it, no matter how much I now love some of the aspects of it - the camera is still the king of the hill among all the Android devices, the only true challenger to it is my iPhone 11 Pro Max which is my primary daily driver today. But for answering your question as properly as possible - the 4(XL) series is not that well-made and have a lot of issues that Google seems to not give a **** about - one of them is the inconsistent battery life that just have mind****ed me since Day 1 when it have shifted on a alarming rate from being good to awful and back to good again and so on, like if it is something that I can't see with apps like BBS that slowly eats up my battery life deeply in the background (and no, it's not an misbehaving wakelock or all-time running service because I would have noticed it then from the beginning.) Add the fact that Google seems to lack a vision about what they even want to do with their devices or how we, the users, should see and remember them as, which also turns me off to some additional extent.

This is just a few examples of why I am selling my 4XL. I hope that Google gets their stuff together on the 4a(XL?) series and finally delivers the same experience that the Pixel 2(XL) line-up was able to give me. If that now may happen, I will be all-in back, but instead on the 4a section of the green grass.

We'll see..
I actually have similar feelings especially with battery life but mine is just consistently below average. I'm charging multiple times a day.

I wanted to switch to the OnePlus 8 Pro but I recently purchased a new laptop so I'm financially unable. As soon as I am, I'm getting rid of this myself!

And yeah hopefully that 4a is something us users will actually appreciate and enjoy!!

Thanks for your time and effort with this mod, I will continue rocking the last version for the foreseeable future! :highfive:

Neejay

Jul 29, 2009
Atlanta, GA

We'll see..
It's been a while since I used this, but I've always respected you for keeping this up, over a couple of pixels. :cowboy:

Lawmanhkven

Jul 5, 2020
Hi guys! I followed the instruction on the first page but there's no any log files after rebooting... Have tried a few times but still got the same result. Dunno if the mod has run successfully.

I am using stock ROM and Elemental X 1.09 kernel. Thanks!

Update!

Donations

Where to download ?

Magnufire2

Nov 23, 2022
Why are these old threads not marked as obsolete? Searching the internet for info on kernel tweaks for optimum battery life seems like sites and posts all lead back to reach other like a loop. I guess I followed the wrong trail of posts and now I'm in alternate timeline. A bizarro world of you will. Old posts. Internet stating there are no results matching my terms. Misleading or just plain wrong info. This world changed so quickly. So....uhm..... where is the download link?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction:

Hello everyone!

This script is created with the goal of improving both battery life and performance on our Google Pixel 4 / Pixel 4 XL devices, and should be seen as a fully simple, and customized, under-the-hood kernel configuration with a lot of neat, and carefully selected, adjustments for a notable better device experience, ideal as a top-notch daily driver.

Note: This script is not recommended to be modified or customized by the user.

The latest release can be found here.

Features:
    • Reduced battery consumption
    • Device specific enhancements for best possible balance between battery life & performance
    • Disabled a lot of useless stuff at kernel level (Improves battery life as well as performance)
    • Power efficiency enhancements
    • Wide IO block tuning (Reduces the possibility of hiccups, lags and overhead)
    • Possibly other miscellaneous things I've forgotten to write down here, both big and small.

Requirements / what you need for getting this script fully working:
    • An unlocked bootloader
    • Your own specific choice of kernel
    • Latest supported version of Magisk
    • Busybox for Android NDK Magisk Module by @osm0sis
    • Patience

Installation / How-To use & abuse:
    • 1) Download the attached ZIP
    • 2) Extract the script(s)
    • 3) Move the script to the following location;
      /data/adb/service.d and give it the following & needed file permissions (0775)
    • 4) Reboot your phone, let Android boot to the launcher and let Magisk boot service do its crucial magic (takes a few seconds before the scripts is fully up and running around behind the scenes)
    • 5) Enjoy!

Telegram:
    If you want to try out betas / previews of my script before they are officially released, or just hangout and chat a little, then join the official Telegram group here

Disclaimer:
    This is presented as "what if". If this modification screws up or breaks anything for you, I am not the one to be held responsible. It's a free will to try out this kind of changes / modifications / addons / tweaks, just don't blame the inventors for eventual bad results and/or screw-ups.

Credits:
    • @pkgnex for inspiring me walking into this partially unknown territory.
    • @flar2 for his excellent EXKM application
    • @osm0sis for his Magisk Busybox module
    • Everyone that I've forgotten to mention here

To-Do list:
    • Optimize and properly tune things even further for best possible balance between battery life, system responsivness and performance

Contributors:
    @xFirefly93

Created: 2019-11-03
    Last updated: 2020-05-24
    Update!

Note: It is recommended that you reboot your phone after you have applied v3.5 so the personal and fully customized changes takes full effect and is fully up & running as intended. Don't forget to also flash the Busybox Magisk module!

Version v3.5 (Minor release):
    - Tuned Schedutil across every cluster in a non-orthodox way for both performance as well as battery life reasons
    - Turned off the ulps_suspend_feature_enable display flag (it makes no sense and just only destroys your battery life)
    - Some additional miscellaneous adjustments and reverts

Donations

Update!

Note: It is recommended that you reboot your phone after you have applied v2.0 so the personal and fully customized changes takes full effect and is fully up & running as intended. Don't forget to also flash the Busybox Magisk module!

Version v2.0 (Major release):
    - Disabled some additional loggers and useless bloat
    - Reverted mem_sleep state to default 's2idle' value
    - Fully disabled monitoring of kernel perf sample rate
    - Optimized the maximum allowed frequencies on the performance clusters for improved power efficiency
    - Updated the readme with some newer instructions
    - Some additional (minor) high quality customizations

Donations

Update!

Note: It is recommended that you reboot your phone after you have applied v1.0 so the personal and fully customized changes takes full effect and is fully up & running as intended. Don't forget to also flash the Busybox Magisk module!

Version v1.0 (Initial release):
    - Initial release for the whole Google Pixel 4 (XL) line-up
    - Customizations for both performance and battery life
    - Added a neat readme on how-to apply BlackenedMod
    - Properly customized the filesystem mounts options for overall improved system responsivness and UI fluidity
    - Blocked a couple fully safe-to-block kernel wakelocks
    - Set Westwood as the default TCP congestion algorithm
    - Enabled panel ULPS props (reduces power consumption)
    - Adjusted IO block behaviour (improves UI responsivness)
    - A few additional adjustments both here as well as there

Donations

Update!

Donations