[EOL] MultiROM v33(e) for OP3/3T [UNIFIED]

Search This thread

martinusbe

Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2011
Belgium / Flanders
martins-sclc.blogspot.com
vh3puLb.png

MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Oneplus 3. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, once they are ported to that device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
* Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

You can also watch a video which shows it in action.

Warning!

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation
Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is encrypted).

MultiROM has 2 parts you need to install:
  • Modified recovery - You cand download the unified IMG file here, or specific for OP3 from second post and use fastboot or TWRP or Flashify app to flash it.
  • MultiROM - download the unified ZIP file here, or specific for OP3 from second post and flash it in recovery.
  • Go into TWRP MultiRom settings and check "Enable No-KEXEC Workaround"
Your current rom will not be erased by the installation.
Download links for specific OP3 version are in the second post.

WORKAROUND for FCs
If you get FC's in your secondary, edit build.prop in that secondary's /system dir and set:

Code:
#ro.sys.sdcardfs=true

...to comment the line (don't delete, don't set to false).

Don't boot before editing this line (flash secondary, edit and then boot).

You can edit in your primary if you are rooted, looking into:

Code:
/sdcard/multirom/roms/<your_sec_rom>/system/build.prop

*You can also try using multiromfix.zip, available in this post, thx to @Startrek852 (to disable sdcardfs support in that secondary).

Adding ROMs
1. Android
Go to recovery, select MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm. As for the space, clean installation of stock 6.x after first boot takes 900+mb of space.​

Using USB drive
During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
  • Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
  • Go to MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
2. Secondary Android ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
  • Go to MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
  • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Source code

Thanks a lot to Tasssadar for creating this awesome utility.
And to @nkk71 for the No-KEXEC workaround

MultiROM, Tool/Utility for the OnePlus 3

XDA:DevDB Information
MultiROM OP3/3T, Tool/Utility for the OnePlus 3

Contributors
martinusbe, BitOBSessiOn

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 3.0.3-2
Beta Release Date: 2017-02-12

Created 2016-07-10
Last Updated 2019-09-10

Last edited:

martinusbe

Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2011
Belgium / Flanders
martins-sclc.blogspot.com
Reserved

Downloads
IT WILL NOT WORK WHEN ENCRYPTED
How-To by @bihariel
MultiRom for oneplus3
Recovery 08/03 Fixed usb-otg
multirom-20160814-v33b-UNOFFICIAL-oneplus3.zip
uninstaller
Update 11/26
Recovery 11/26
multirom-20161126-v33e-UNOFFICIAL-oneplus3.zip
Update 02/05/2017 op3
for new firmware 4.0.+, so older roms/kernels will not work on this!
AFH folder here
Update 02/20 by @BitOBSessiOn Unified
In post #1183
Update 03/10 Unified By BitOBSessiOn
recovery https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120713897
mr zip https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634752067
Update 08/07 by BitOBSessiOn
Post #1950

Flashable zip to fix your locksettings can be found here

MR Manager TBO 2016/08/17
Multirom Manager apk with oneplus support
Changelog:
- Darkened UI by @daveyannihilation #WhiteUImustDie
- Added icons for OOS, Tipsy, Tesla, Validus, Slim (needs the new zip flashed)
- Supports all Oneplus devices, Redmi2, Lux unoffically (to use the icons, the MR maintainer will need to update his MR zip)
MR Manager TBO 2017/04/21
Multirom Manager apk with added oneplus3T support

Flash recovery
Flash multirom zip
Enable kexec workaround in TWRP mr settings
Enjoy!

Last edited:

BitOBSessiOn

Last edited:

bihariel

Apr 9, 2010
Thank you,
Hope someone can add support for Oxygen OS and a kernel with kexec support.

C

cunc-cam

Hey, booted into a secondary ROM and now Oxygen is throwing an "incorrect pattern" error. I remember there were some files to delete to fix this, but I can't remember which ones. (Maybe add it to the OP to prevent confusion?) Thanks for your time!

bihariel

Apr 9, 2010
Hey, booted into a secondary ROM and now Oxygen is throwing an "incorrect pattern" error. I remember there were some files to delete to fix this, but I can't remember which ones. (Maybe add it to the OP to prevent confusion?) Thanks for your time!

I am unable to boot OxygenOs, what process did you folowed?

And for the incorrect patern just go to twrp- file manager, navigate into /data/system and delete the files:

password.key
pattern.key
locksettings.db-wal
locksettings.db-shm
locksettings.db

C

cunc-cam

I am unable to boot OxygenOs, what process did you folowed?

And for the incorrect patern just go to twrp- file manager, navigate into /data/system and delete the files:

password.key
pattern.key
locksettings.db-wal
locksettings.db-shm
locksettings.db
Thanks so much! By not being able to boot oxygen, do you mean as secondary or as primary? It must be unencrypted. Beyond that I don't know. It might be harder as secondary, I don't know if it would encrypt itself again.

I can boot into oxygen when it's the primary os through the given method, but it does take a few seconds of black before the boot animation shows.

bihariel

Apr 9, 2010
Thanks so much! By not being able to boot oxygen, do you mean as secondary or as primary? It must be unencrypted. Beyond that I don't know. It might be harder as secondary, I don't know if it would encrypt itself again.

I can boot into oxygen when it's the primary os through the given method, but it does take a few seconds of black before the boot animation shows.
My phone is decrypted and oxygen as primary. But i cant boot secondary roms, it always shows me the boot menu over and over.. when i select secondaries to boot.
I was able to boot only one time a sacondary rom. Must be there something am doing wrong.

C

cunc-cam

My phone is decrypted and oxygen as primary. But i cant boot secondary roms, it always shows me the boot menu over and over.. when i select secondaries to boot.
I was able to boot only one time a sacondary rom. Must be there something am doing wrong.

Huh. Be sure you checked the custom recovery setting related to kexec, I don't think that is supported on our device. Other than that, I'm as clueless as you :D

bihariel

Apr 9, 2010
Its checked kexec warkaround. Injected sector boot. When i select secondary to boot, the phone reboots but it always goes back to boot menu... Will investigate a bit more...

Reactions: ivanrom

bud77

Jun 29, 2011
Near Paris
Huge thanks for this port @martinusbe

FYI, I've tried all these roms as secondary, using the K-exec workaround. All are working very fine (device decrypted)
  • Beanstalk
  • ResurrectionRemix
  • Slim
  • Tipsy
  • Bliss

Thank you !

Edit : Just tried the MM apk, and it does not see the MM recovery, even tho it's already installed
Have you been in touch with Tassadar to have it official ?

Last edited:
Reactions: sshinde555

shizonic

Jul 2, 2012
Huge thanks for this port @martinusbe

FYI, I've tried all these roms as secondary, using the K-exec workaround. All are working very fine (device decrypted)
Beanstalk
ResurrectionRemix
Slim
Tipsy
Bliss

Thank you !

Edit : Just tried the MM apk, and it does not see the MM recovery, even tho it's already installed
Have you been in touch with Tassadar to have it official ?
does touchscreen working for you?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vh3puLb.png

MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Oneplus 3. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, once they are ported to that device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
    * Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
    * Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
    * Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

You can also watch a video which shows it in action.

Warning!

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation
    Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is encrypted).

MultiROM has 2 parts you need to install:
    • Modified recovery - You cand download the unified IMG file here, or specific for OP3 from second post and use fastboot or TWRP or Flashify app to flash it.
    • MultiROM - download the unified ZIP file here, or specific for OP3 from second post and flash it in recovery.
    • Go into TWRP MultiRom settings and check "Enable No-KEXEC Workaround"
    Your current rom will not be erased by the installation.
    Download links for specific OP3 version are in the second post.

WORKAROUND for FCs
    If you get FC's in your secondary, edit build.prop in that secondary's /system dir and set:

Code:
    #ro.sys.sdcardfs=true

...to comment the line (don't delete, don't set to false).

Don't boot before editing this line (flash secondary, edit and then boot).

You can edit in your primary if you are rooted, looking into:

Code:
    /sdcard/multirom/roms/<your_sec_rom>/system/build.prop

*You can also try using multiromfix.zip, available in this post, thx to @Startrek852 (to disable sdcardfs support in that secondary).

Adding ROMs
    1. Android
    Go to recovery, select MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm. As for the space, clean installation of stock 6.x after first boot takes 900+mb of space.​

Using USB drive
    During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
    If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
    If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
    Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
    Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
    • Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
    • Go to MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
    2. Secondary Android ROMs
    If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
    • Go to MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
    • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Source code

Thanks a lot to Tasssadar for creating this awesome utility.
    And to @nkk71 for the No-KEXEC workaround

MultiROM, Tool/Utility for the OnePlus 3

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiROM OP3/3T, Tool/Utility for the OnePlus 3

Contributors
    martinusbe, BitOBSessiOn

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 3.0.3-2
    Beta Release Date: 2017-02-12

Created 2016-07-10
    Last Updated 2019-09-10
    Reserved

Downloads
    IT WILL NOT WORK WHEN ENCRYPTED
    How-To by @bihariel
    MultiRom for oneplus3
    Recovery 08/03 Fixed usb-otg
    multirom-20160814-v33b-UNOFFICIAL-oneplus3.zip
    uninstaller
    Update 11/26
    Recovery 11/26
    multirom-20161126-v33e-UNOFFICIAL-oneplus3.zip
    Update 02/05/2017 op3
    for new firmware 4.0.+, so older roms/kernels will not work on this!
    AFH folder here
    Update 02/20 by @BitOBSessiOn Unified
    In post #1183
    Update 03/10 Unified By BitOBSessiOn
    recovery https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120713897
    mr zip https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634752067
    Update 08/07 by BitOBSessiOn
    Post #1950

Flashable zip to fix your locksettings can be found here

MR Manager TBO 2016/08/17
    Multirom Manager apk with oneplus support
    Changelog:
    - Darkened UI by @daveyannihilation #WhiteUImustDie
    - Added icons for OOS, Tipsy, Tesla, Validus, Slim (needs the new zip flashed)
    - Supports all Oneplus devices, Redmi2, Lux unoffically (to use the icons, the MR maintainer will need to update his MR zip)
    MR Manager TBO 2017/04/21
    Multirom Manager apk with added oneplus3T support

Flash recovery
    Flash multirom zip
    Enable kexec workaround in TWRP mr settings
    Enjoy!
    The steps were already written but here you have.

I asume you are running Oxygen os.

1- Make a backup of all your internal storage (SD) data via usb MTP on PC.
    2- Your device must have the bootloader unlocled, if not, search on xda how to do it. At this step you will need to install adb driver and fastbooot as described on the unlocking tutorial.

3- Reboot into bootloader and type on CMD on windows "fastboot format userdata"

4- Install multirom Twrp from fastboot " fastboot flash recovery multiromrecovery.img"

5- Reboot into twrp and copy all your backed up data via usb mtp to your phone.

5- Open cmd and type "adb shell chown -R media_rw:media_rw /data/media"

6- Flash supersu to avoid re-encryption by OOS

7 - Flash multirom.zip and reboot system. mr menu will appear, select Internal and leave oxegen to fully boot. Go to settings, fingerprint and security and check if it says device decrypted.

8- Reboot to twrp and Add the secondary rom from multirom menu in the twrp.

9- In multirom settings activate the option no exec warkarroun, also you can set in autoboot tab the option to boot always the rom you want.

9- Reboot and enjoy
    Reserved

Please read all about the no-kexec workaround from the author directly, (to avoid duplicity and get latest information), thanks to @nkk71
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64248526&postcount=4

*Updated MultiROM Manager APK available here.

*FCs in secondaries should have been fixed in latest TWRP-MROM versions.
    I created a flashable zip that could sovle the wrong pin/pattern error occurred after boot in both primary ROM and secondary ROM.

Flash this zip in recovery (For your secondary ROM, boot in TWRP>multirom>list rom>select your wrong-pin/pattern-ROM>install zip>flash this zip)

This zip will delete:
    gatekeeper.password.key,
    gatekeeper.pattern.key,
    locksettings.db,
    locksettings.db-shm,
    locksettings.db-wal.

This will reset your lockscreen to "Slide", but your saved fingerprints will NOT be deleted. Just set a new security lockscreen after boot.