[EOL] Nexus 5X Bootloop of Death (BLOD) - Andorid Oreo Monthly Security patches & fix

• Thread starter Deleted member 7280252
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 7280252

September fix:
https://mega.nz/#F!ZGIBnSwB!eIFyiL9KVntqVglOgqRm9g

Same procedure as always. These are tested on my 5X, but it's blod is not too stable to be sure!

I will continue support as long as Google does, but my updates will be slow as I'm only home on some weekends. Please be patient!

More:
I'm quite sure that there is no much change going on in the ramdisk now that there is only security updates, so in case I'm late, one can try to use any old version of boot.img.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: monzer

sody_1

Apr 5, 2008
Thanks a lot...Just doesnt work for me ..Stuck in the Android animation....But thanks for the effort anyway Pavel

wlad0

Jan 9, 2014
Prešov
September fix:

Same procedure as always. These are tested on my 5X, but it's blod is not too stable to be sure!

I will continue support as long as Google does, but my updates will be slow as I'm only home on some weekends. Please be patient!

More:
I'm quite sure that there is no much change going on in the ramdisk now that there is only security updates, so in case I'm late, one can try to use any old version of boot.img.

Thanks. I'll try to flash these images but could you please provide more informations about: "... but it's blod is not too stable to be sure!"?

D

Deleted member 7280252

Thanks. I'll try to flash these images but could you please provide more informations about: "... but it's blod is not too stable to be sure!"?

I meant that my device does have the issue, but not always. If I start using it daily, it will go to the bootloop after a while (when not using fixed software), but it does not happen immediately, which makes testing the images more difficult.

D

Deleted member 7280252

To be sure I am on September build I sideloaded September OTA. Wiped the Cache in Recovery menu...
Isnt the issue the same as there was with the original August release that didnt work and had to be fixed ?

This build should be fine. It boots on my device without issues.
How did you sideload the ota?

sody_1

Apr 5, 2008
This build should be fine. It boots on my device without issues.
How did you sideload the ota?

Classical Recovery and ./adb sideload filename...

I migrated to Nokia 8 right now as my primary phone. I will try to do frash factory install once more on Nexus for kids..

Thanks a lot anyway..It helped me a lot....

Pavel

D

Deleted member 7280252

Classical Recovery and ./adb sideload filename...

I migrated to Nokia 8 right now as my primary phone. I will try to do frash factory install once more on Nexus for kids..

Thanks a lot anyway..It helped me a lot....

Pavel
But how did you install the update? Ota?

sody_1

Apr 5, 2008
But how did you install the update? Ota?

I thought that the update have installed via OTA. As the fixed boot image kept stuck in Android animation, I sideloaded OTA image from Google web to bu sure which version I am at, and applied fixed boot and recovery. and wiped cached. Still didnt help...

wlad0

Jan 9, 2014
Prešov
September fix:

More:

Thx. For me works. I used procedure described there

smoke_007

Jan 8, 2008
Thanks T1mb3, September fix worked great for me. I don't ever wipe cache.

Step by step directions to flash monthly update:
Current support URL - https://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/general/nexus-5x-bootloop-death-blod-andorid-t3683926

To do monthly security patch updates, visit the top of the current URL. Download 3 required files: System Image .zip, boot .img file, and recovery .img file. Unzip the system image zip file. Copy the folder with all these files locally to your ADB folder.

Navigate within extracted zip file folder to find flash-all.bat file and edit. Find "fastboot -w update" line and delete -w so phone is not wiped on update. Only skip this step if you do want the phone to be wiped on update.

Boot phone into bootloader mode by pressing and holding volume down and power button from powered off state. From command prompt window, run flash-all.bat file to install update. Once done, the phone will bootloop again.

Boot phone into bootloader mode again by pressing and holding volume down and power button. Flash updated boot .img by running command with current boot .img file name, example:
fastboot flash boot boot-fixed.img

Flash updated recovery .img, if new one was provided this month, by running command with current recovery .img file name, example:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-fixed.img

Boot phone normal using Start onscreen option.

Last edited:

pc-jedi

Nov 2, 2018
@T1mb3 Could you update for October security patch? Our just double check the version of wlad0.
@wlad0 What about recovery?
As far as I know this will be the last security update anyway :-/

D

Deleted member 7280252

@T1mb3 Could you update for October security patch? Our just double check the version of wlad0.
@wlad0 What about recovery?
As far as I know this will be the last security update anyway :-/
If there is November update, I will release it. If not, I will release October soon! Sorry, I have been away again.

Recovery is almost always the same. You can use older build without issues.

Reactions: pc-jedi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 7280252
    [EOL] Nexus 5X Bootloop of Death (BLOD) - Andorid Oreo Monthly Security patches & fix

Warning:
    DO NOT TRY TO APPLY ANY MODIFICATION HERE IF YOUR PHONE ISN'T A BOOTLOOPING DEVICE.

Read first:
    This thread is based on the following thread & If you are new to the bootloop issue, please refer the below thread by @XCnathan32 to get your device fixed.
    Nexus 5X bootloop of death fix (BLOD) | 7/30 Huge performance update! By @XCnathan32

What this thread is about?
    This thread is about BLOD fixes for monthly security updates (Probably OTA). I decided to start a separate thread for these updates since there are no BLOD fixes uploaded for update releases of the Oreo

Disclaimer
    I do NOT hold any responsibility for bricking devices or any other harm on your devices by using my content since this work isn't based on any kind of monetization. Just to be simple, I do build these images for my device and just sharing with you all since everyone doesn't have the ability to build these images their-own. Each of the files I have uploaded here are tested on my device before posting (only partly, I don't have the time to test all functionality as bullhead is not my daily driver).

General pre-conditions (Pre-Requirements)
    1. General knowledge about using fastboot & adb
    2. A booltoop fixed device (with an unlocked bootloader/OEM unlocking enabled), as per the original thread by @XCnathan32
    3. fastboot & adb installed on the system (Windows platform preferred)
    4. Downloaded files of your choice for the fix
    5. Refer the pre-conditions in each update for more requirements

Guides/Downloads
    Please refer the 1st post of this thread

Information
    - Please let me know if you are unclear about anything regarding the process, steps or files. I will try to optimize the guide to make it user friendly with the time.
    - Let me know if the provided links are not functioning. (I'm looking for a reliable hosting platform to upload future files)
    - Please be kind-enough to share the knowledge with the community if you find any easy methods, workarounds or any other tricks while doing the process.

Good luck guys. :)

Source code: https://github.com/T1mpp4/4Core-Android-5X
    D
    Deleted member 7280252
    December- 8.1

--------------

November - 8.1

--------------

September - 8.1

--------------

August - 8.1

Required files

--------------

July - 8.1

Required files

--------------

May - 8.1 (bullhead-opm4.171019.016.a1, May 2018)

Required files

--------------

June - 8.1 (OPM6.171019.030.B1, Jun 2018)

Required files

--------------

April - 8.1 (OPM2.171019.029, Apr 2018)

Required files

--------------

March - 8.1 (opm3.171019.016, Mar 2018)

Required files

--------------

February - 8.1 (OPM5.171019.015, Feb 2018)

Required files

--------------

January - 8.1 (OPM3.171019.013, Jan 2018)

Required files

--------------

December - 8.1 (OPM1.171019.011, Dec 2017)

Required files

--------------

December - 8.0.0 (OPR4.170623.020, Dec 2017)

Required files

--------------

November - 8.1 Developer Preview 2 (OPP6.171019.012, Nov 2017)

Process for System image
    1. Download the complete system image from the download section (or from Google)
    2. Flash the downloaded image via fastboot (refer the original thread by @XCnathan32)
    3. Flash the boot-img-4core-opp6.171019.012
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot-img-4core-opp6.171019.012.img
    4. Reboot the device to the system.

Required files

--------------

November - 8.0.0 (OPR6.170623.023, Nov 2017)

Update pre-condition
    • October security patch installed on the device (up and running)
    • All required downloads for November - 8.0.0 (OPR6.170623.023, Nov 2017)
    Process for OTA
    1. Copy the required files to the adb directory in the PC
    2. Boot the device into bootloader and flash the boot-img-unmodified-opr4.170623.009.img [The update script verify the boot image]
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot-img-unmodified-opr4.170623.009.img
    3. Flash recovery-img-4core-opr4.170623.009.img to get the stock recovery (4 core version)
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery-img-4core-opr4.170623.009.img
    4. Boot into the recovery & hold power button and press volume up together (You will see the recovery menu)
    5. Select 'Apply update from ADB' from the recovery menu
    6. Open the command prompt (locate to the adb directory) and sideload the update-opr6.170623.023.zip
      Code:
      adb sideload update-opr6.170623.023.zip
    7. After the update is installed successfully, reboot into the bootloader and flash the boot-img-4core-opr6.170623.023.img
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot-img-4core-opr6.170623.023.img
    8. Reboot the device to the system.

Process for System image
    1. Download the complete system image from the download section
    2. Flash the downloaded image via fastboot (refer the original thread by @XCnathan32)
    3. Flash the boot-img-4core-opr6.170623.023.img
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot-img-4core-opr6.170623.023.img

Required files

Optional files

--------------
    October - 8.1 Developer Preview (OPP5.170921.005, Oct 2017)

Process for System image
    1. Download the complete system image from the download section (or from Google)
    3. Flash the boot-4core-bullhead-opp5.170921.005
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot-4core-bullhead-opp5.170921.005.img

Required files

--------------

October - 8.0.0 (OPR4.170623.009, Oct 2017)

Update pre-condition
    • September security patch installed on the device (up and running)
    • All required downloads for October - 8.0.0 (OPR4.170623.009, Oct 2017)
    Process for OTA
    2. Boot the device into bootloader and flash the boot-img-unmodified-opr-170623.006.img [The update script verify the boot image this time]
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot-img-unmodified-opr-170623.006.img
    3. Flash recovery-img-4core-opr4.170623.006.img to get the stock recovery (4 core version)
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery-img-4core-opr4.170623.006.img
    4. Boot into the recovery & hold power button and press volume up together (You will see the recovery menu)
    5. Select 'Apply update from ADB' from the recovery menu
    6. Open the command prompt (locate to the adb directory) and sideload the update-opr4.170623.009.zip
      Code:
      adb sideload update-opr4.170623.009.zip
    7. After the update is installed successfully, reboot into the bootloader and flash the boot-img-4core-opr4.170623.009.img
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot-img-4core-opr4.170623.009.img
    8. Reboot the device to the system.

Process for System image
    3. Flash the boot-img-4core-opr4.170623.009.img
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot-img-4core-opr4.170623.009.img

Required files

Optional files

--------------

September- 8.0.0 (OPR4.170623.006, Sep 2017)

Update pre-condition
    • All required downloads for September- 8.0.0 (OPR4.170623.006, Sep 2017) (Root users: If you downloaded the update via OTA it is located in root/data/ota_package)
    Process for OTA
    2. Flash recovery-img-4core-opr4.170623.013.img to get the stock recovery (4 core version)
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery-img-4core-opr4.170623.013.img
    3. Boot into the recovery & hold power button and press volume up together (You will see the recovery menu)
    4. Select 'Apply update from ADB' from the recovery menu
    5. Open the command prompt (locate to the adb directory) and sideload the bullhead-ota-opr4.170623.006-98637094.zip
      Code:
      adb sideload bullhead-ota-opr4.170623.006-98637094.zip
    6. After the update is installed successfully, reboot into the bootloader and flash the boot-img-4core-opr4.170623.006.img
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot-img-4core-opr4.170623.006.img
    7. Reboot the device to the system.

Process for System image
    1. Download the complete system image from the download section
    3. Flash the boot-img-4core-opr4.170623.006.img

Required files

Optional files
    Step by step process to install the monthly security updates and BLOD fix

Current URL for updates
    https://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/general/nexus-5x-bootloop-death-blod-andorid-t3683926

To do monthly security patch updates, visit the top of the current URL. Download 3 required files: System Image .zip, boot .img file, and recovery .img file. Unzip the system image zip file. Copy the folder with all these files locally to your ADB folder.

Navigate within extracted zip file folder to find flash-all.bat file and edit. Find "fastboot -w update" line and delete -w so phone is not wiped on update. Only skip this step if you do want the phone to be wiped on update.

Boot phone into bootloader mode by pressing and holding volume down and power button from powered off state. From command prompt window, run flash-all.bat file to install update. Once done, the phone will bootloop again.

Boot phone into bootloader mode again by pressing and holding volume down and power button. Flash updated boot .img by running command with current boot .img file name, example:
    fastboot flash boot boot-4Core-bullhead-opm3.171019.013.img

Optional, flash updated recovery .img by running command with current recovery .img file name, example:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-img-4core-opm3.171019.013.img

Boot phone normal using Start onscreen option.

Thank you T1mb3 for the continued monthly fixes!

Thanks to this thread and others I managed to fix my bootlooping 5x, which is now working fine again. However I have had the automatic update notification for a couple of weeks now, prompting me to update to 8.1.0 which I understand I can't do without going back to bootlooping again.

I'm struggling to understand what I need to do now to get this update installed manually, and I'm hoping someone can explain steps by steps?
    8.1 Working boot.img

8.1 boot.img:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=17x50uNBszznaOonIRc8IIaPswKRE4aFq

TWRP 3.2.0-0:
    [Removed] I've seen multiple complaints in other places that there are issues with 3.2 on the 5x right now. I haven't done enough testing to see it for myself, but i'd rather avoid spreading a file that will cause people issues.

I tried modifying the latest elementalX Kernel also, but I can't get it to boot.

Changes are the same as were made here:
    https://github.com/xcnathan32/4Core-Android-O-5X/commit/a4814e7e9c05e09d41ad1621f9d95f7eea409d77

Also, make sure that you are flashing all of the new images when updating. 8.1 includes a new bootloader, radio, vendor.img, system.img, boot.img, and recovery.img.
    Hi,

I have created a small Python script to automate the process of modifying the boot image to reduce the chance of human mistakes and also make it easier to apply the same fix to future versions.

You can find it at https://github.com/pawitp/nexus-5x-blod-fix

Feel free to use, take, modify, etc.