• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[EOL][RECOVERY][Android 8 / 9][Stock/SODP][XZ2/C/P/3] TWRP 3.3.1-0 [UNofficial]

Should I continue this project?

• Yes, for the XZ2.

Votes: 177 35.5%
  • Yes, for the XZ2C.

Votes: 201 40.4%
  • Yes, for the XZ2P.

Votes: 65 13.1%
  • Yes, for the XZ3.

Votes: 105 21.1%
  • No.

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Ok, thank you. But shouldn't there currently be three TWRP-versions? One for Android 8, one for 9 and one for 10? Where should I have an eye on to get the information if the TWRP-migration was successful? Will there be a post somewhere or is there another way to get informed?
Yes but I only support the newest android version
If previous ones work it's a nice side effect

Please stay tuned In the twrp 10 thread :)

Harry500

Jan 12, 2019
Yes but I only support the newest android version
If previous ones work it's a nice side effect

Please stay tuned In the twrp 10 thread :)
Ok, so I suppose I would have to test this on my own? If so, could it lead to damage or data loss of any kind if the TWRP version is not compatible with the Android 8 ROM you provided? Or could I just re-flash with the provided version 3.2.3?

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Ok, so I suppose I would have to test this on my own? If so, could it lead to damage or data loss of any kind if the TWRP version is not compatible with the Android 8 ROM you provided? Or could I just re-flash with the provided version 3.2.3?
You don't need to flash it to test
"fastboot boot twrp.img" is enough
And if it works you can follow the instructions to install it on the phone :)

avaie

Nov 9, 2014
I tried to restore from a twrp backup and it resorted to a bootloop. What is to be wiped and what is to be restored? Dalvik, System and Data was wiped and Boot, System and Data was restored. This is Android 9 installed on H8216.

I wrote on the other thread - the duplicate is unintended.

ssdnvv

Sep 30, 2015
I unfortunately didn't read carefully enough (even though it is clearly stated on both the OP and the lineage how to page :() and unlocked the bootloader before updating it to the latest android. The phone is still on 8.0
So question is - what are the implications of that mistake? My goals were to install TWRP, LineageOS and Magisk... - can I still reach this goal?

Last edited:

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
I unfortunately didn't read carefully enough (even though it is clearly stated on both the OP and the lineage how to page :() and unlocked the bootloader before updating it to the latest android. The phone is still on 8.0
So question is - what are the implications of that mistake? My goals were to install TWRP, LineageOS and Magisk... - can I still reach this goal?
Yes
You just killed the DRM for the stock Rom
But if you ignore the stock Rom, youst flash and Boot the newest stock 10 until you reach the desktop apps.

ssdnvv

Sep 30, 2015
Yes
You just killed the DRM for the stock Rom
But if you ignore the stock Rom, youst flash and Boot the newest stock 10 until you reach the desktop apps.

Thanks alot :eek:- yes, I don't care about stock ROM. Anyway thanks for answering - seems I posted in the wrong thread and will aks my other questions in your maintained thread.

kira770927

Nov 10, 2020
Boot hang on Sony logo

Hello Sir
I have a question after update TWRP . I could following steps to install TWRP on my XZ2

Fastboot devices (check device ready)
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img (flash file without secure check)
fastboot flash boot twrp.img (flash boot img to phone)
fastboot boot twrp.img (boot to twrp)
Install recovery ramdisk twrp.img (install)

I think above all steps are right ? if so , I would want to flash lineage-17.1 or PIXEL EXPERIENCE ROM via TWRP install mode
But after I install it finish , I would stuck SONY logo (if use lineage-17.1 would present my system data is broken)
Could you do me a favor that help me to check which steps is not correct ?

levone1

Dec 28, 2014
Having touch screen issues on Xz2 compact. Touch works fine with 'fastboot boot' but no touch when installed to ramdisk. Test version links are dead...
Thanks

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Boot hang on Sony logo

Hello Sir
I have a question after update TWRP . I could following steps to install TWRP on my XZ2

Fastboot devices (check device ready)
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img (flash file without secure check)
fastboot flash boot twrp.img (flash boot img to phone)
fastboot boot twrp.img (boot to twrp)
Install recovery ramdisk twrp.img (install)

I think above all steps are right ? if so , I would want to flash lineage-17.1 or PIXEL EXPERIENCE ROM via TWRP install mode
But after I install it finish , I would stuck SONY logo (if use lineage-17.1 would present my system data is broken)
Could you do me a favor that help me to check which steps is not correct ?
Having touch screen issues on Xz2 compact. Touch works fine with 'fastboot boot' but no touch when installed to ramdisk. Test version links are dead...
Thanks

Please use the TWRP for Android 10
This one isn't supported anymore.

Reactions: levone1

tonev

Nov 10, 2008
I swiped the dust out of my xz2 and decided to start tinker with it again. I installed the latest firmware but when i flash vbmeta i get in to bootloop :/ I can start the recovery but after that nothing. I then have to restore the phone using emma and everything is fine with the phone. I just want to figure out what I am doing wrong.

AnotherSeeker

Aug 21, 2021
Greetings. This is amazing work.
There's a little problem I can't wrap my head around.
(XZ2c H8314, Android 8, bootloader unlocked on Android 10)

- Bootloop occurs if I input command:
"fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img"
- Omitting it & following the rest of instructions works
- Upon first firmware boot, all's good except the camera preview (DRM keys missing)?
- XperiFix executes, however, the camera preview issues etc. remain
- (Is XperiFix not working bc. of lacking vbmeta command?)

Tried Flashing:
- permissive.zip (SELinux switch)
- [Pie]Camera_fix_by_MartinX3 & [Pie][Magisk]Camera_fix_by_Serajr
- Different Magisk versions (17.1, 18.1, 19.3)
- no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1.zip (desperate attempt)

Device's a replacement for the broken same-model phone. It all worked there (hardware issues emerged).
Staying on Android 8/w full functionality would be a dream.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Sony Open Devices Project is always happy about volunteers (coding, testing, etc) :)
    Also mainlining your favorite snapdragon powered xperia device into the mainline kernel is possible and we will be glad to help you!

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

FAQ:

Known Bugs:
    • The "fastboot boot twrp.img" doesn't work, if you use the hardware buttons to open the blue fastboot bootloader mode. Only use adb, twrp or the android system to reboot into blue fastboot bootloader mode or flash the twrp.img, boot the device, reboot into bootloader and flash the original boot.img back, before booting into twrp.
      You can also "fastboot reboot bootloader" in the blue fastboot mode.
      This is a bootloader bug, maybe it gets fixed with the stock Q bootloader.

Bugtracker:

Bugreport:
    • A bugreport needs your device name, dmesg, the /tmp/recovery.log and a way to reproduce the issue.
    • If the TWRP is stuck at the TWRP logo, the chances are high, that the decryption didn't succeed.
      • The TWRP should be still usable if you just "fastboot boot twrp.img" it.
    • To rescue a not responding phone:
      • VOLUP+POWER for 3 Seconds -> RESTART with one Vibration.
      • VOLUP+POWER for 20 Seconds -> SHUTDOWN with 3 Vibrations.
      • VOLUP+POWER+CAMERA for 30 Seconds -> HARDWARE SHUTDOWN by discharging a capacitor.

Thank you very much for your help, code contribution & testing! (Random order):
    • @dees_troy and his team of volunteers for the TWRP code
    • @M-ROM for his hint activating the touch in TWRP
    • @osm0sis
    • @nreuge
    • @FartyParty
    • @pandemic
    • @nasko_spasko
    • @VeixES
    • @Klaus N.
    • @old.splatterhand
    • @yanke928
    • @michele2
    • @niaboc79
    • @j4nn for hacking the kernel to make "fastboot boot twrp.img" possible
    • @shoey63 for testing @j4nn 's hack
    • @oshmoun for a better "fastboot boot twrp.img" solution
    • @dhacke thank your for providing a download server
    • Shame on me if I forgot someone after searching through the thread and my PM's!
    • And many thanks to the few donators! :)

A telegram group for technical SODP stuff:
    https://t.me/xda_tv

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP, ROM for the Xperia XZ2

Contributors
    MartinX3, oshmoun, Marijn, Sony
    Source Code: https://github.com/MartinX3-AndroidDevelopment

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Matching to firmware in twrp name
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.3.1-0
    Stable Release Date: 2019-08-10

Created 2018-07-26
    Last Updated 2020-10-23
    Download & Installation

Download:

Installation Android 9.0:
    1. Update to newest stock firmware before unlocking!!!
    2. Enter fastboot via software, not hardware buttons. See "Known Bugs".
    3. (Optional; If you modify the system or need the camerafix.zip)
      fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    4. fastboot boot twrp.img
    5. Advanced menu -> "Install recovery ramdisk" -> Choose twrp.img
    6. Reboot into installed TWRP
    7. Want Root? -> Magisk
    8. (Optional; Security degradation; Only if you know what you're doing) Switch SELinux to permissive (with my permissive.zip)

In case of touch issues on the XZ2 compact:
    1. Download (try the v10 zip first, if it doesn't work try v9 or v8)
    2. Do the same steps, but with the TWRP test release.

Installation Android 8.0:
    1. fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta-xz2(?).img
    2. fastboot flash boot twrp.img
    3. Install stockkernel-xz2(?)-installer.zip
    4. Install twrp-3.2.3-0-xz2-xz2c-xz2p-installer-xz?-installer.zip
    5. Install Magisk-v17.1.zip
    6. (Optional; Security degradation; Only if you know what you're doing) Switch SELinux to permissive (with my permissive.zip)
    @MartinX3 @sToRm// @modpunk
    I got drmfix working on enforcing selinux! ;)

How-to:
    After reboot into system (post #3 - First time installation of TWRP & after newflasher installation), open a shell window and type:
    Code:
    su
    mount -orw,remount /vendor
    magiskpolicy --load /vendor/etc/selinux/precompiled_sepolicy --save /vendor/etc/selinux/precompiled_sepolicy "allow init domain process { noatsecure }" "allow init secd process { noatsecure }"
    mount -oro,remount /vendor
    Enjoy it!
    (you may now add it in your scripts if you want to)
    stock twrp firmware 52.0.A.8.25 (april security patch level)
    fixed touch problems some people have.
    Twrp is now at version 3.3.0-0.
    September security patch level:
    Stock twrp 52.0.A.10.6

Smaller download size:
    Removed bundled magisk, since the newest one doesn't make bootloops anymore.
    Removed touch drivers from twrp, now a script greps them dynamically from the vendor partition.