• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

EOL [ROM][Unofficial][9.0.0][microG][signed]hardened LineageOS 16.0 for Oneplus 3/3T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
LineageOS 17.1 successor thread and final 16.0 build with January 2021 ASB patches

Hi all,
a new build with January 2021 ASB patches is available for download and will soon be offered as OTA update:
  • ASB Security string 2021-01-05
  • Bromite Webview on 87.0.4280.131
  • Updated microG from upstream to 0.2.16.204713-10 (picked until 2f29b93)
  • Updated F-Droid to 1.10-alpha1-212
Please note, that this build is the final LineageOS 16.0 build. - As announced and as some of you may already have seen, I have opened a new thread for the LineageOS 17.1 successor build of this hardened microG ROM:

You can simply "dirty-flash" the "microG" LineageOS 17.1 build over the "microG" build of this thread. I recommend to go this path in the near future.

Of course, I will keep this thread open for a while and answer topics related to this 16.0 build and how to migrate to the 17.1 successor build. I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your interest in this build and look forward to seeing you in my new 17.1 successor thread.

Happy flashing, cheers - M.

Fallon9111

Jul 1, 2012
The Shire, Middle Earth
Cheers MSe1969 for keeping this rom going, and I appreciate the great communication you've provided in the forums. I've been using your rom for half a year now, and it works as well as any stock ROM I've used, with lots of added bonuses.

Keeping my 4 year old phone running a modern OS & degoogled is brilliant.

Reactions: MSe1969
I am a fan of your privacy friendly LinageOS. Now I have recently switched to a Oneplus 7T Pro. Are there any plans to make a Treble version?
You seem to be lucky ;) - I have indeed bought myself a used 7T Pro beginning of this month, so there will soon be a respective thread (this a/b partition thing enforced by G* to all devices initially shipping with 10 is really a p.i.t.a.) . . .

EDIT: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...rdened-lineageos-17-1-oneplus-7t-pro.4222945/

Last edited:
Reactions: EinsteinXXL

WM-Sef

Jan 30, 2009
You seem to be lucky ;) - I have indeed bought myself a used 7T Pro beginning of this month, so there will soon be a respective thread (this a/b partition thing enforced by G* to all devices initially shipping with 10 is really a p.i.t.a.) . . .

Does this mean that in a near future the builds for OnePlus 3(T) will get abandoned in favor of the OnePlus 7 Pro?

Thanks as always, I'll be flashing that build soon.

My question is: are microg for 16 and 17.1 compatible? What I'm really asking: would it be possible for me to extract microg apk from your 17.1 and manually drop it into 16.0 to update it?
Yes, that is possible - no issues.
But if your goal is to keep on 16.0 and just update microG, how do you want to easily extract it from the 17.1 zip w/o first flashing it?

Reactions: gonococcus
The same question:
How can I, staying on this ROM, update the microG app?
There are three options - each of them has their own advantages and disadvantages, depending on the specific situation and setup (the 1st step of all actions should be a nandroid backup of your current setup!):

1. TWRP: Backup - Flash - Copy - Restore - Replace
- Reboot to TWRP
- Make a full nandroid backup of your current 16.0 setup
- (Clean) Flash the most recent LineageOS 17.1 ROM
- Copy the file /system/priv-app/GmsCore/GmsCore.apk to your Internal memory
- Restore your nandroid backup
- Replace the file /system/priv-app/GmsCore/GmsCore.apk with the previously taken copy
- Restore ownership and file permissions, if needed (root:root 644)
- Reboot to LineageOS

2. Extract the GmsCore.apk from my LineageOS 17.1 ROM zip
This was the question from @gonococcus - you need Linux on your PC for this.
The basic approach is described here, the LineageOS 17.1 ROM zip for the OP3T is 'block-based'. We need the system.img file mounted (obviously, we don't want to "extract vendor blobs"), once mounted, you can copy the file /system/priv-app/GmsCore/GmsCore.apk.
Reboot to TWRP and replace that file and make sure, ownership and permissions are set (root:root 644)

3. Go back to the "original" microG
You could also download the original microG file from here and replace the file accordingly in TWRP (details see above).
However - replacing an apk file with another one having a different signature is like uninstalling the app and installing from scratch!
WARNING: If you do so, the following will happen:
- Your GCM registrations will be gone
- If you use a Covid tracing app, the bluetooth token database is empty again

You would need to re-enable the device registration and the cloud messaging and check, whether your apps will re-register. It may happen, that some of your apps can't re-register. If *#*#CHECKIN#*#* from the Dialer app plus reboot does not solve that issue, you would need to uninstall and re-install those apps, which may also require to find out about backing up and restoring the affected app's data . . .
Hence, this approach may (or may not) end up in a lot of follow-on issues.

Regards, M.

gonococcus

Apr 18, 2020
Yes, that is possible - no issues.
But if your goal is to keep on 16.0 and just update microG, how do you want to easily extract it from the 17.1 zip w/o first flashing it?
Thanks for good news. As for your question: extract the FS image and mount it, then grab APK - just like you answered to @zhenev .

BTW, regarding microG. I was under impression that you merge quite a lot of patches when you build microg and also that official microg is not being built very often to reflect the changes commited. So the question is: how much does your build differ from official build? Did they start to build more often since project /e/ started submitting the patches? A bit in the dark here about microG current situation. I'd rather keep up with your build extracted from 17.1, not that big of a deal to extract it from time to time. but also wondering if they've sped up their release cycle.

BTW, regarding microG. I was under impression that you merge quite a lot of patches when you build microg and also that official microg is not being built very often to reflect the changes commited. So the question is: how much does your build differ from official build? Did they start to build more often since project /e/ started submitting the patches? A bit in the dark here about microG current situation. I'd rather keep up with your build extracted from 17.1, not that big of a deal to extract it from time to time. but also wondering if they've sped up their release cycle.
I don't know more than you. When you look at their tags (see my link from previous post), it seems that the frequency has improved a lot. I usually look, what is available, when I build the next version to be included in my monthly builds.
When you look at the last three tags, it seems a 3-week cycle meanwhile, at least a decent update frequency. Before, it hasn't been that way, and at the time, when I wanted to publish my monthly builds, there were important commits available, which I did not want to miss.

guywitht679

Feb 18, 2015
hi all, great thanks to mse for developing and maintaining this rom. been using since late december, havent been able to get gps working tho. location is On, permissions have been granted (OsmAnd~; SatStat; several others); nothing can find me. A-GPS data has been repeatedly downloaded but seems to never work. have tried it outside, while driving, same thing. tried FasterGPS, no effect (reverted now). SatStat and GPSTest once picked up a glonass fwiw. im rooted. have checked forums for these different programs to no avail, so im hoping im not wasting your time with this question.

i just dirty flashed the newest 16.0, but it hasnt affected the problem (phone recognizes that the wifi network it's connected to has internet now tho, yay). many thanks for any guidance; gps is very crucial for my job.

EDIT: vendor image out of date, will have to check into it tomorrow. would delete this reply if i could to read into that first.

Last edited:
Heading towards EOL

Hi all,
as already explained in various previous posts, I have created a LineageOS 17.1 Successor thread for this ROM, where I have recently published a new ROM version containing the February 2021 ASB patches. I have also explained, how to migrate and that I have stopped providing the LineageOS 16.0 builds.

Based on the received feedback, I have also explained, how to extract microG updates from my 17.1 builds to apply them to the 16.0 builds for people, who do not want yet to migrate to 17.1, which of course is everybody's individual decision. Nevertheless, I recommend to migrate to 17.1.

I have updated the OP to indicate the EOL of this thread. I'll keep it still open for some time, as announced already.
Thanks for your interest and contributions to this thread, looking forward to seeing you in my LineageOS 17.1 thread.

Cheers, M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread is discontinued: Please visit the my LineageOS 17.1 successor thread

This thread is dedicated to provide hardened Lineage-OS 16.0 builds with microG included for the OnePlus 3/3T with current security patches.

It is the successor of my Lineage 15.1 thread.
    It may be worth to also look there, if you are looking for information.

Features of this ROM
    Download here
    • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid like LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • OTA Support
    • eSpeakTTS engine
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Access to /proc/net blocked for user apps
    • Bundled netmonitor app to allow network monitoring
    • Enhanced Privacy Guard: Switches for motion sensors and other sensors
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking
    • Optional disabling of captive portal detection
    • Firewall UI
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google/Sony when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
    • Additional restrictions for secondary users
    • Increased password length
    • Kernel kept up to date with ASB patches and Google kernel/common 'android-3.18' branch
    • Debloated from Oneplus blobs for Alipay, WeChatpay, Soter and IFAA
    • Native Wireguard support in shipped kernel
    • Hardened bionic lib and constified JNI method tables

Current release levels
    Security string: 2021-01-05
    AOSP tag: 9.0.0_r46
    Bromite System Webview: M87

Source-code and build instructions
    Kernel: https://github.com/lin16-microg/android_kernel_oneplus_msm8996/tree/lin-16.0-mse2
    Build manifest: https://github.com/lin16-microg/local_manifests/tree/lin-16.0-microG

Installation Instructions

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE SOLELY YOURSELF FOR ANY ACTIONS YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE !!!

Please note - I won't explain any single aspect (e.g. how to install 'fastboot' on your PC or troubleshoot USB connectivity issues under Windows). Search the net and consult the search engine of your choice or look here in XDA, there is plenty of information available.

Pre-Requisites
    • Have fastboot and adb installed on your PC and make sure, you can connect via USB to your device in fastboot mode and via adb
    • An unlocked bootloader (see e.g. LineageOS install instructions)
    • Flash the OxygenOS 9.0.x firmware, which is needed for LineageOS 16.0 - READ THE OP OF THIS THREAD CAREFULLY !
    • Download the most current .ZIP file of the ROM and place it to your phone's internal memory

OxygenOS 9.x Firmware
    Once again: READ THE OP OF THIS THREAD CAREFULLY !
    I can't explain it better and I am not going to repeat or summarize this. It really is in your interest to carefully read it - you have been notified and warned.
    Please also pay attention to the last section named "Alipay, WeChatpay, Soter and IFAA" - I strongly recommend to use the debloated firmware

Install TWRP recovery
    If you come from stock ROM and have just unlocked your boot loader, this is the next thing to do. I recommend to use the TWRP recovery for the OnePlus 3/3T. The following instructions are based on TWRP.
    To install TWRP, download the twrp-x.x.x-x-oneplus3.img file (Note: replace "x.x.x-x" in the following instructions with the respective values from the real file name) to your PC, connect the phone via USB to your PC, get it into 'fastboot mode' and enter the following command on your PC:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-x.x.x-x-oneplus3.img
    Afterwards, directly boot into 'recovery mode' (enter fastboot reboot on your PC and hold Power and vol.down) - DO NOT boot into the phone's Android system after having flashed TWRP! Once TWRP has been launched, you may decide to reboot your phone and install the ROM at any time later. But the first boot after flashing TWRP must be TWRP in recovery mode.

Advanced Wipe
    ONLY perform the steps described here, if you come from Stock ROM or a different Custom ROM!

Boot into recovery mode. In TWRP, choose "Wipe", "Advanced" and spefify "Dalvik", "System", "Cache" and "Data" to be wiped. Make sure NOT to wipe "Internal memory". Swipe to confirm the deletion and get back into the main menu.

DO NOT flash Gapps!
    This ROM comes with pre-installed microG. So don't attempt to flash Gapps.

Install ROM
    In the TWRP main menu, choose "Install". A file manager appears to let you navigate to your internal memory (path /sdcard). Choose the .ZIP file of our ROM and swipe to flash.
    If you update from a previous version of my ROM, including my LineageOS 15.1 build, you don't need to perform a wipe. If you come from a different ROM (or stock firmware), make sure that you have performed the Wipe steps above.
    When finished flashing, return to the main menu, choose "Reboot" and then "System", which will cause your phone to boot into Lineage OS 16.0 - be patient, the first boot after flashing a new ROM takes quite long!

Dealing with signed builds
    Please note, that this builds is signed with an own key. When you come from a different build, you cannot directly "dirty-flash" this build. You have to perform a "clean flash" (recommended), or - you do this on your own risk - you may try the below steps.

This happens at your own risk - make a backup with TWRP before!
    • Download and extract the file migration.sh from this archive
    • This file helps you to migrate from a build signed with the publicly available test keys (i.e. all builds around, which do not state that they are signed). If you come from another signed build (e.g. official LineageOS), you have to adapt the file accordingly (see below links).
    • boot into TWRP
    • push the migration.sh file to the directory /data/local on your device and mount the /system partition in TWRP (you can do so using the dedicated TWRP's menu entry)
    • launch the built-in terminal in TWRP, cd into /data/local, make migration.sh executable (chmod +x) and execute the command ./migration.sh official
    • (In case you receive an error, try sh ./migration.sh official instead)
    • flash the ROM .zip
    • wipe Cache and Dalvik/ART Cache
    • reboot system
    More background information and the "theory behind" can be found in the LineageOS wiki and AOSP reference.

Bug reports:
    If you have a problem, please create a post with these informations:
    Original Kernel shipped with this rom:
    Build Date:
    And try to get log as described here
    Please note that I can't and won't support issues with builds using a different kernel or Xposed.
    In regards to microG, I will try my best to help when it is related to this ROM (I use it myself), but any questions of the type "the YXZ-app can't do <some sort of fancy xyz Google functionality> properly" are better asked in the respective microG forums.

Credits
    AOSP project
    LineageOS project
    microG project
    Graphene OS project
    csagan5 (Bromite)
    WhyOrean (Aurora)
    nvertigo67 (for the modded 9.x firmware)

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][Unofficial][9.0.0][microG][signed]hardened LineageOS 16.0 for Oneplus 3/3T, ROM for the OnePlus 3T

Contributors
    MSe1969
    Source Code: https://github.com/lin16-microg/local_manifests/tree/lin-16.0-microG

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Testing
    Stable Release Date: 2020-12-11

Created 2020-01-14
    Last Updated 2020-12-13
    Hi all,
    a new build is available for download and will soon be also offered via OTA update:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/li...NOFFICIAL-microG-signed-oneplus3.zip/download

• ASB Security string 2020-07-05
    • Kernel: Wireguard tag v1.0.20200623 (of course, as every month, kernel is upstreamed from here)
    • microG: updated prebuilt GmsCore fom /e/ project (fixed FCM registration issues and delay with Signal app)
    • F-Droid updated to 1.8 / F-Droid privileged extension updated to 0.2.11
    • Aurorastore updated to 3.2.9 / AuroraServices updated to 1.0.6

Happy flashing, regards M.

P.S.: Meanwhile, there is TWRP 3.4.0 available for our device, I recommend to update it as well (not a requirement, but recommended)
    February ASB update

Hi all, a new build is available for download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/li...NOFFICIAL-microG-signed-oneplus3.zip/download

• Security string 2020-02-05
    • Bromite System Webview 79.0.3945.139
    • AuroraStore 3.1.8

It is also offered by the updater up as OTA update.
    Regards, M.
    LineageOS 17.1 successor thread and final 16.0 build with January 2021 ASB patches

Hi all,
    a new build with January 2021 ASB patches is available for download and will soon be offered as OTA update:
    Please note, that this build is the final LineageOS 16.0 build. - As announced and as some of you may already have seen, I have opened a new thread for the LineageOS 17.1 successor build of this hardened microG ROM:

You can simply "dirty-flash" the "microG" LineageOS 17.1 build over the "microG" build of this thread. I recommend to go this path in the near future.

Of course, I will keep this thread open for a while and answer topics related to this 16.0 build and how to migrate to the 17.1 successor build. I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your interest in this build and look forward to seeing you in my new 17.1 successor thread.

Happy flashing, cheers - M.
    Change log

January 17th, 2021

December 13th, 2020
    • ASB Security string 2020-12-05
    • Kernel: Upstreamed to tag ASB-2020-12-05_3.18
    • Bromite Webview on 87.0.4280.106
    • Updated microG from upstream to 0.2.14.204215-15 (picked until 720b089)
    • Updated F-Droid to 1.10-alpha1-114

November 08th, 2020
    • ASB Security string 2020-11-05
    • Kernel: Upstreamed to tag ASB-2020-11-05_3.18
    • Kernel: Fix of bug causing crashes with Wireguard in native mode
    • Fix of AOSP E-Mail widget
    • Fix for CVE-2020-15999
    • Bromite Webview on 86.0.4240.181
    • Updated microG with fixes in GCM and EN API
    • Replaced weak F-Droid signatures with ROM's V2 signatures

October 08th, 2020
    • ASB Security string 2020-10-05
    • Bromite Webview on 86.0.4240.73
    • Kernel: Upstreamed to tag ASB-2020-10-05_3.18
    • microG 0.2.12.203315 - including "Exposure notification API" for use of Covid tracing apps
    • Additional hardening (bionic and constified JNI method tables)

September 12th, 2020
    • ASB Security string 2020-09-05
    • Bromite Webview updated to 85.0.4183.86
    • Kernel: Upstreamed to tag ASB-2020-09-05_3.18
    • Kernel: Wireguard tag v1.0.20200908
    • Kernel: Fix USB-OTG unplug crash (thanks to @nvertigo67)
    • Added eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)

August 8th, 2020
    • ASB Security string 2020-08-05
    • Bromite Webview updated to 84.0.4147.113
    • Kernel: Upstreamed to tag ASB-2020-08-05_3.18
    • Kernel: Wireguard tag v1.0.20200729
    • Kernel: qcacld-2.0 merge of CAF tag LA.UM.7.6.r1-07800-89xx.0
    • Location of the firewall functionality has moved to Network > Data usage in Settings (latest cherry-pick from here)

July 10th, 2020
    • ASB Security string 2020-07-05
    • Kernel: Wireguard tag v1.0.20200623
    • microG: updated prebuilt GmsCore fom /e/ project (fixed FCM registration issues)
    • F-Droid updated to 1.8 / F-Droid privileged extension updated to 0.2.11
    • Aurorastore updated to 3.2.9 / AuroraServices updated to 1.0.6

June 10th, 2020
    • ASB Security string 2020-06-05
    • Kernel: Wireguard tag v1.0.20200520
    • Bromite Webview on 83.0.4103.101
    • Sepolicy: Netmonitor exception f. "Tracker Control" app

May 6th, 2020
    • ASB Security string 2020-05-05
    • Telephony: Option to set different ringtones in case of Dual SIM
    • Kernel: Native Wireguard support
    • Kernel: Merged CAF tag LA.UM.7.6.r1-07400-89xx.0 (also f. WLAN)
    • Kernel: Misc. optimizations
    • Bromite Webview on 81.0.4044.127
    • AuroraStore updated to 3.2.8

April 10th, 2020
    • ASB Security string 2020-04-05
    • Fix for CVE-2020-8597 (external/ppp)
    • Kernel: CVE-2019-10638 siphash 128bit for IP generation
    • Bromite Webview on 81.0.4044.76
    • AuroraStore updated to 3.2.4

March 16th, 2020 - interim release
    • Vendor blob update to reflect OOS 9.0.6 - vendor sec. patch level now 2019-10-01
    • Debloated from Alipay, WeChatpay, Soter and IFAA

March 7th, 2020
    • Security string 2020-03-05
    • Bromite System Webview 80.0.3987.118
    • AuroraStore 3.2.0
    • Added Netguard app (F-Droid) to SELinux domain allowing /proc/net

February 19th, 2020 - interim release
    • Kernel fix for crash when doing VoIP telephony

February 7th, 2020
    • Security string 2020-02-05
    • Bromite System Webview 79.0.3945.139
    • AuroraStore 3.1.8

January 14th, 2020
    Initial feature list:
    • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid same as the LineageOS for microG project
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore (Version 3.1.7) with AuroraServices 1.0.5
    • OTA Support
    • Access to /proc/net blocked for user apps
    • Bundled netmonitor app to allow network monitoring
    • Enhanced Privacy Guard: Switches for motion sensors and other sensors
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking
    • Optional disable captive portal detection
    • Firewall UI
    • No submission of IMSI/IMEI to Google/Sony when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView 79.0.3945.107
    • Additional restrictions for secondary users
    • Increased password length