EOL [ROM][Unofficial][9.0.0][signed]LineageOS 16.0 for Osprey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2019
As indicated above, I will stop providing the build variant A for LineageOS 17.1 - people who were using my build variant A for LineageOS 16.0 should switch to the official builds of 17.1.
M:

I was surprised to see that LineageOS are once again supporting the Moto G3 as they dropped this model some time ago. Are you creating their official build, or has someone else at XDA recently acquired this phone?

When LineageOS dropped the Moto G3, I picked up your custom ROM but went with Variant A since I didn't think I needed the added features of Variant B and so I opted for "simplicity". However, now that you are standardizing on the microG build, I'm thinking that maybe I should simply switch to this version, and stay the course with the tried and tested, rather than go back to LineageOS and have them drop support at some point.

I realize that developers move on from time to time, and that some phones will inevitably lose support at some point. It's just that I'm happy to keep my Moto G3 alive for as long as possible and I have found your builds to be very efficient in this regard.

Alan

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
Frankfurt Rhine-Main metropolitan region
M:

I was surprised to see that LineageOS are once again supporting the Moto G3 as they dropped this model some time ago. Are you creating their official build, or has someone else at XDA recently acquired this phone?

When LineageOS dropped the Moto G3, I picked up your custom ROM but went with Variant A since I didn't think I needed the added features of Variant B and so I opted for "simplicity". However, now that you are standardizing on the microG build, I'm thinking that maybe I should simply switch to this version, and stay the course with the tried and tested, rather than go back to LineageOS and have them drop support at some point.

I realize that developers move on from time to time, and that some phones will inevitably lose support at some point. It's just that I'm happy to keep my Moto G3 alive for as long as possible and I have found your builds to be very efficient in this regard.

Alan
Hi Alan,
I use the official LineageOS device config, kernel and blobs of 17.1 for my Osprey "microG" build. This means, that if I did also a "build variant A", it would be identical (except for the build signature) with the official 17.1 build of LineageOS, and that does not really make a lot of sense.
I *may* (not sure, yet) consider working on an own kernel fork to apply additional patches - but even that would not really justify to publish an own build variant A. (In that case, I could e.g. consider to simply offer a boot.img to be flashed via TWRP or similar, if there was a real interest).
If however - for whatever reason (which I don't believe for the moment) - LineageOS decides to drop the official Osprey support in the future, I will be happy to step in again.
Regards, M.

Reactions: jemail

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
LineageOS 17.1 thread created

Hi all,

I have just posted a new thread for my hardened 17.1 microG buld for the Osprey device:

It contains a 17.1 hardened microG build with the January 2021 ASB patches included.
As explained in this thread before, I would like to summarize the below information:
  • I will stop providing 16.0 builds in this thread
  • The hardened 17.1 microG build from the referred thread can simply be "dirty-flashed" over the latest version of the build variant B from this thread - this is what I recommend to do in the near future
  • People having used the 16.0 build variant A so far should switch to the official LineageOS 17.1 Osprey ROM. I have explained here the details.
  • People already using my 17.1 test build should be offered an OTA update via the Updater app
I would like to use the opportunity to thank you for your interest in these builds and look forward to seeing you in my new 17.1 thread.

In the meantime, I will keep this thread open for a while to answer further topics to my LineageOS 16.0 builds and/or to help migrating to 17.1, if needed.

Cheers, all the best
M.

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
Thank you very much @MSe1969 for your hard work on this builds. Your builds are always high quality one !
I would like to thank you with a few beers/coffees (what's your preferred way of transfert) !?
Many thanks for the positive feedback and for considering making a donation, much appreciated - but don't worry.
I am referring you to an answer, which I have given in another thread about that topic; it outlines my point of view:

Cheers, M.

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
Heading towards EOL
Hi all,
as announced already before, there is now a LineageOS 17.1 successor thread for the "microG" build variant B. Btw, an update with February '21 ASB patches has been published there. Also, a "howto" for folks using the 16.0 build variant A to migrate to the "official" LineageOS 17.1 builds has been provided. Further, no additional questions and/or comments to the 16.0 builds have been posted here.

So I think it's time to declare the EOL of this thread. I will soon ask the forum admins to close this thread - if you have any questions on how to migrate, please feel free to ask them in my successor thread.
A last time here, thanks for your interest and hope to see you in my LineageOS 17.1 thread.
Cheers, M.

Status
Not open for further replies.