Search This thread

shadowstep

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
never owned a op phone, do you recommend them?
im torn between the 5t vs 6.
wondering which does better when it comes to battery life..

and they cost almost the same so.. :l
though the one thing that does separates them is the 845 chip , i heard the 845 is better.

Since the cost is pretty much same, I think it's a no brainer that you should go for OP6. The newer, the better is my thumb rule. You'll also get updates to newer versions of Android for sure, if you go with the newer model, obviously. You won't be disappointed with speed or battery life when it comes to either though, I'm sure of that. Both SD 835 and SD 845 are great chipsets. :)

Reactions: leondestiny

leondestiny

Jan 12, 2013
Seinegald
Since the cost is pretty much same, I think it's a no brainer that you should go for OP6. The newer, the better is my thumb rule. You'll also get updates to newer versions of Android for sure, if you go with the newer model, obviously. You won't be disappointed with speed or battery life when it comes to either though, I'm sure of that. Both SD 835 and SD 845 are great chipsets. :)

sounds good thx, i could though get a s8+ for cheaper than a op6, so yeah.
or even a s9+ for alittle bit more of the op6 price..
but not sure if i should, because i prefer stock android :l

shadowstep

Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
sounds good thx, i could though get a s8+ for cheaper than a op6, so yeah.
or even a s9+ for alittle bit more of the op6 price..
but not sure if i should, because i prefer stock android :l

I'll never go with Samsung, even though they're good with their hardware, but the software just makes it a no-go for me. I'll always stick to phones which have a stock/close-to-stock android (just like you) and have/will have a good development community.

leondestiny

Jan 12, 2013
Seinegald
I'll never go with Samsung, even though they're good with their hardware, but the software just makes it a no-go for me. I'll always stick to phones which have a stock/close-to-stock android (just like you) and have/will have a good development community.

im probably going to go for a op phone..
wanted a pxl2 but they are way too expensive for my budget.

shadowstep

Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
im probably going to go for a op phone..
wanted a pxl2 but they are way too expensive for my budget.

Good choice! And that was the case with me too. Even though I would've loved a Pixel, the cost was too high to be justified and hence I went with OnePlus. I just hope Google either brings the Nexus line back in addition to keeping the Pixel line too (I know this isn't happening, but wishful thinking :p) or provides a third mid-ranged Pixel (which might happen, but let's see). :fingers-crossed:

shadowstep

Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
Any updates for Android P ?

Since Android Pie won't be officially coming to the Nexus 6P, there isn't any updated thermal config file for me to re-base this mod on. However, feel free to use the zips made for Android Oreo on Android Pie ROMs and they should still work. I recommend using the Magisk modules, so that in the rare case of something not working, you can easily uninstall it from Magisk manager. :)

tellusaflame

May 23, 2017
Hi guys!
This night I had some strange situation. Put my 6P on a original charger (8.1 + sigma kernel + UTM, it was the first time I put 6P charging through night with UTM installed) to charge it through the night, and fall asleep. 3 hours later I woke up, took phone, and here is the strange part - 6P was 100% charged, and hot af. What was that? Once I disconnected phone from charger - the phone began to cool down.
P.S. half a year ago I replaced battery.

Last edited:

shadowstep

Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
Hi guys!
This night I had some strange situation. Put my 6P on a original charger (8.1 + sigma kernel + UTM, it was the first time I put 6P charging through night with UTM installed) to charge it through the night, and fall asleep. 3 hours later I woke up, took phone, and here is the strange part - 6P was 100% charged, and hot af. What was that? Once I disconnected phone from charger - the phone began to cool down.

1. The mod increases the temperature thresholds at which the thermal driver kicks in and starts doing whatever it has to do to get the temperatures down (for example, hotplugging cores, reducing frequencies, etc.). Therefore, the phone might get warmer than usual occasionally.

2. I don't recommend charging the 6P overnight. It already has a bad history when it comes to battery problems, so it's just not worth it.

tellusaflame

May 23, 2017
1. The mod increases the temperature thresholds at which the thermal driver kicks in and starts doing whatever it has to do to get the temperatures down (for example, hotplugging cores, reducing frequencies, etc.). Therefore, the phone might get warmer than usual occasionally.
Well, the thing is, that phone was fully charged, as far as I understand the more perc phone charged -> lower current -> more time to charge it full -> less heat. Phone was hot like it was charging on a lower percentage, screen was on, and some intense stuff was going on, this is what sacred me the most, because at the time a woke up 6P has to be fully charged at least for an hour.
Maybe today I would try to charge it up again the same way, but not at night, just to get some clarification on this situation.

shadowstep

Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
Well, the thing is, that phone was fully charged, as far as I understand the more perc phone charged -> lower current -> more time to charge it full -> less heat. Phone was hot like it was charging on a lower percentage, screen was on, and some intense stuff was going on, this is what sacred me the most, because at the time a woke up 6P has to be fully charged at least for an hour.
Maybe today I would try to charge it up again the same way, but not at night, just to get some clarification on this situation.

Sure thing! Also, from what you've described, it seems like something is keeping your phone awake and doing something in the background, which is using a lot of CPU and thus leading to heat. Could be a rogue app, could be your ROM, could be a mod, could be anything. This mod doesn't do any kind of processing in the background or during charging that would lead to the phone being hot, especially near the full charge capacity (as you rightly pointed), so its very unlikely that the issue you're facing is because of this mod. :)

shadowstep

Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
Is there is anyway to use UTM Thermal mod with Android 9 ROMs on N6P??

This:

Since Android Pie won't be officially coming to the Nexus 6P, there isn't any updated thermal config file for me to re-base this mod on. However, feel free to use the zips made for Android Oreo on Android Pie ROMs and they should still work. I recommend using the Magisk modules, so that in the rare case of something not working, you can easily uninstall it from Magisk manager. :)

aousaf43

Sep 5, 2018
I don't understand the term Overlocked and Non-overlocked.... I am using latest build of Pixel Experience Custom rom in my nexus 6P, running in Android 9.0. Karnel 3.87

Gearswar

Jan 24, 2018
@shadowstep This is what I needed omg thank you so much. No heat no lag on my end. Now it charges rapid on aosip rom. Before I was getting charging slowly on the original charger and with this mod I'm getting rapid charging. Charges faster too.

Reactions: shadowstep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction
    Hello everyone! Some of you might recognize me from the Xthermal Fast Charge thread, where I had earlier created and posted unified zips for modifying the stock thermal config file on the Nexus 6P, combining the work of two different mods, namely CTTMod and Xthermal Fast Charge Mod.

Since I was earlier maintaining my unified zips in the Xthermal Fast Charge Mod thread, I have now decided to create a separate thread for them since there is still interest and I don't want to unnecessarily clutter somebody else's thread. Let's get straight to it then!

Detailed Information
    CTTMod - Thread Link
    • When CTTMod was initially released, it changed certain values in Nexus 6P's stock thermal file to raise the temperatures at which the phone would start to use thermal throttling. This change led to an increased overall performance and the phone could be used for a longer period of time without any crippling of performance due to thermal throttling, at the cost of heat. Therefore, after using this mod, the phone would feel slightly warmer as compared to how it would've felt if this mod had not been used, but with higher sustained performance.
    Xthermal Fast Charge Mod - Thread Link
    • When Xthermal Fast Charge Mod was initially released, it also changed certain values in Nexus 6P's stock thermal file to raise the temperatures which prevented the charging current to exceed a certain value (usually ~1500 mAh to 1700 mAh) even though the stock OEM charger was capable of delivering a current upto 3000 mAh. This change led to an increased average current drawn (~2600 mAh to 2800 mAh), thereby leading to a decrease in the time taken by the phone to charge, again, at the cost of heat. Thus, a faster fast charge.
    Unified Thermal Mod
    • Since both the base mods target the same stock thermal file, they can't be used together and using one would override the changes done by the other. In other words, one can only use CTTMod or the Xthermal Fast Charge Mod, exclusively. My unified thermal mod provides a workaround for this by taking the best from both of the above mentioned mods and combining their changes into one file, packaged into a Magisk module/TWRP flashable zip, so that one can take the advantage of both, increased performance due to an increase in thermal throttling temperature limits as well as a faster fast charge.

Compatibility
    Device(s)
    • Nexus 6P
    ROM(s)
    • All ROMs
    Android Version(s)
    • Android Marshmallow 6.x.x
    • Android Nougat 7.x.x
    • Android Oreo 8.x.x
    • Android Pie 9.x.x
    • Android Q 10.x.x

Download

Important Read-Me Points
    Installation/Uninstallation
    • In case you wish to install the modified libraries directly in the system partition and not as a Magisk module, then add "sysover" (without the quotes) to the zip name and flash it via TWRP.
    • The zip will abort the installation if you try to flash it on any other device except the Nexus 6P and if you aren't running Android Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo, Pie or Q.
    • The zip auto-detects your Android version and installs the correct modified thermal configuration file automatically.
    • To uninstall the mod, just reflash the zip via TWRP and it will undo any changes it did (whether installed as a Magisk module or directly in the system partition).
    General
    • The mod only works with the stock OEM charger. If you're using a third party charger (irrespective of the fact whether it supports Qualcomm QuickCharge or any other fast charge capability) this mod won't work.
    • The lower your battery percentage is, the faster your phone will charge, i.e. as the battery charge percentage increases, the current drawn by the phone will decrease. This is stock behaviour.
    • The mod doesn't change the USB charge current. That is controlled by the kernel.
    • Regarding the thermal driver, it is preferred that you enable msm_thermal and disable core_control for effective results. However, if doing that causes issues for you (for example, cores don't come online automatically after going offline while using msm_thermal), then disable msm_thermal and enable core_control via a kernel tuning app, like EX Kernel Manager.
    • If possible, avoid playing games/use performance heavy apps while the phone is charging. Doing so won't cause any issues, but it is preferred not to do so while the phone is on charge.

Disclaimers
    • I am not the original developer of the base mods used, i.e. CTTMod and Xthermal Fast Charge Mod. I merely combined the two since they couldn't be used together. I take no credit for the original work. Please direct all your thanks and/or donations towards @Robshr and @ravinder0003, the original developers of the mods.
    • You are doing this at your own risk. I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you are unsure of how to go about something.

Thanks To
    • @Robshr, for his work on the original CTTMod
    • @ravinder0003, for his work on the original Xthermal Fast Charge Mod
    • @Zackptg5, for Unity Installer and all the work he's ever done for the community
    • @topjohnwu, for Magisk and all the work he's ever done for the community
    • All of you guys for viewing this thread and using the mod

Changelog
    • v1.0 - Initial release for Magisk v14.0
    • v1.1 - Updated to include changes from CTTMod's latest release for Android 8.x Oreo
    • v2.0 - Update for Magisk v15.0
    • v3.0 - Update for Magisk v17.0
    • v4.0 - Updated the zip base to the Unity Installer template
    • v5.0 - Added support for Android 10, updated the base template to Unity v4.4 and EOL update

OP Information
    Thread Update Information
    • Created: September 15, 2017
    • Last Updated: September 29, 2019
    Source Code
    Hi guys - OP updated! Bumped the version to v5. Changes include an updated base Unity template (v4.4) and addition of support for Android 10. :)

Unfortunately, this will also be the final update to this mod, and it is now EOL. It's been fun doing this for you all! See you on the other side.
    Hi guys - OP updated! Changes include addition of more information regarding Android Pie compatibility. :)
    I know asking for ETA isn't allowed but could you do a fast charge only version for Oreo? I really dislike the thermal mod but would love to have the fast charge one :confused::(

Sure thing! I just made one (using Oreo's stock thermal configuration as base and incorporating Xthermal Fast Charge's modified values) and am attaching it with this post. Enjoy! :)
    Stay tuned - update coming soon! Also, added a poll for everyone. Please do vote, it'll be helpful! :)