Epic GB kernel sources! (11/22/11 EI22 keyfix kernel)

Search This thread

mkasick

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 10, 2009
11/22/11 Update: Added "reboot bml8 recovery" patch for ROM Manager suppport.

11/8/11 Update: Updated keyfix kernel with the EI22 initramfs. Also, Samsung has placed the previous official (and now labeled EI22) source tarball on their opensource site.

10/24/11 Update: It appears that Samsung has removed the "official" Epic GB source tarball from their website. I've mirrored it for anyone interested in the original release. For anyone actually looking to build with the sources, you're probably better off using Rodderik's GitHub

10/19/11 Update: As everyone's found out by now, Samsung released official Epic GB sources last night. There's not that many changes to our device in the official source tree compared to the previous, but a few appear to be subtlely important (see abbreviated deltas). It still needs some work to get into a buildable state, but it does appear to work great on EH17!

I've updated most of my patches for GB, conveniently packaged together. I've also uploaded a new EH17 kernel that works on stock (rfs) EH17 ROMs and includes the keyboard fixes with optimized values, along with userdebug and kexec support. Feel free to give it a try.

Meanwhile Rodderik is updating his GitHub repo to include all these patches for folks to clone from, stay tuned.

Happy hacking!

So apparently when Samsung released the kernel sources to the Mesmerize's Gingerbread update a month-and-a-half ago, that source tree contained almost-buildable kernel sources for our device as well.

I've patched the sources (removed modemctl definition, added tfsr driver, compile right camera driver) to build for the Epic. I've also built a custom EH17 kernel combining these sources with the EH17 initramfs. It's essentially stock EH17 with ro.debugging=1, adbd always-spawning during recovery, and testkey signature verification. I'll get to porting over some other patches (like the dropped key fix) soon.

As for compatibility with EH17, the source tree itself appears to have been checked out on 8/30 and looks to include everything EH17 does. I ran "strings Image | sort -u" on both kernels to make sure there weren't any obvious strings/symbol differences between them. The ones that remain appear to be minor, but legitimate fixes.

Thanks to jt1134 & Rodderik for pointing out that the Mesmerize source released contained Epic code, and Tortel & ugothakd for testing.

GitHub repo, thanks Rodderik!

To build:

Grab SCH-I500_USCC_Opensource_Update3.zip SPH-D700_GB_Opensource.zip from opensource.samsung.com, extract.
Run "make mrproper" to get rid of atlas (Mesmerize) config junk.
Patch to complete Epic support.
Build with EH17 initramfs as usual, use victory_8G_defconfig for kernel configuration.

Mirror links:
Official GB sources: SPH-D700_GB_Opensource.zip (originally posted on opensource.samsung.com, since removed.)
Epic GB source patches: kernel-GB-3a-patches.tar.gz
Source-compiled, keyboard fix EI22 kernel: kernel-GB-3a.tar.md5
(URLs for Mesmerize tree patches removed, although they're still valid.)

Attachments

• kernel-GB-3a-patches.tar
    70 KB · Views: 1,808
  • kernel-GB-3a.tar
    5 MB · Views: 5,030
Last edited:

Ceelos09

Apr 18, 2011
Hmmmm...who would of known part of our kernel source was right under our noses :p

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

mkasick

Aug 10, 2009
Hmmmm...who would of known part of our kernel source was right under our noses :p
Ideally there would be one Samsung Android kernel source tree that would contain code for our device as well as all their others. However, I've been checking somewhat recently and code for Epic never appered in the GT-I9000 sources (which have been updated recently) nor in the Stratosphere ones.

It didn't occur to me to check the Mesmerize sources sooner, but as the only US device with an official GB release (still?) it shouldn't have been much of a surprise. It's also worth nothing that there appears to be GB sources for the Indulge in there as well. I'm not sure of their buildability though.

mkasick

Aug 10, 2009
Do the cm7 guys know about this, or is already used in the build we have?
I believe JT was the one who discovered the Mesmerize sources were pertinent to us. He might've been able to compile something, but at least Rodderik was stuck on the missing tfsr driver without the right debugging bits.

I discovered this worked somewhat haphazardly when Rodderik mentioned the Mesmerize sources to me. They booted the first time with EH17 on SD, but wouldn't boot from flash. Since I was able to get it to boot off SD, debugging was a good deal easier.

In any event, it's a drop-in replacement for the current kernel used by the Epic CM7 build, so I'm sure they'll make good use of it sooner or later.

Actually what I'm curious about is if the reboot problems still persist with this. I haven't had one yet, but they haven't been a problem with stock EH17 on my device either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    11/22/11 Update: Added "reboot bml8 recovery" patch for ROM Manager suppport.

11/8/11 Update: Updated keyfix kernel with the EI22 initramfs. Also, Samsung has placed the previous official (and now labeled EI22) source tarball on their opensource site.

10/24/11 Update: It appears that Samsung has removed the "official" Epic GB source tarball from their website. I've mirrored it for anyone interested in the original release. For anyone actually looking to build with the sources, you're probably better off using Rodderik's GitHub

10/19/11 Update: As everyone's found out by now, Samsung released official Epic GB sources last night. There's not that many changes to our device in the official source tree compared to the previous, but a few appear to be subtlely important (see abbreviated deltas). It still needs some work to get into a buildable state, but it does appear to work great on EH17!

I've updated most of my patches for GB, conveniently packaged together. I've also uploaded a new EH17 kernel that works on stock (rfs) EH17 ROMs and includes the keyboard fixes with optimized values, along with userdebug and kexec support. Feel free to give it a try.

Meanwhile Rodderik is updating his GitHub repo to include all these patches for folks to clone from, stay tuned.

Happy hacking!

So apparently when Samsung released the kernel sources to the Mesmerize's Gingerbread update a month-and-a-half ago, that source tree contained almost-buildable kernel sources for our device as well.

I've patched the sources (removed modemctl definition, added tfsr driver, compile right camera driver) to build for the Epic. I've also built a custom EH17 kernel combining these sources with the EH17 initramfs. It's essentially stock EH17 with ro.debugging=1, adbd always-spawning during recovery, and testkey signature verification. I'll get to porting over some other patches (like the dropped key fix) soon.

As for compatibility with EH17, the source tree itself appears to have been checked out on 8/30 and looks to include everything EH17 does. I ran "strings Image | sort -u" on both kernels to make sure there weren't any obvious strings/symbol differences between them. The ones that remain appear to be minor, but legitimate fixes.

Thanks to jt1134 & Rodderik for pointing out that the Mesmerize source released contained Epic code, and Tortel & ugothakd for testing.

GitHub repo, thanks Rodderik!

To build:

Grab SCH-I500_USCC_Opensource_Update3.zip SPH-D700_GB_Opensource.zip from opensource.samsung.com, extract.
    Run "make mrproper" to get rid of atlas (Mesmerize) config junk.
    Patch to complete Epic support.
    Build with EH17 initramfs as usual, use victory_8G_defconfig for kernel configuration.

Mirror links:
    Official GB sources: SPH-D700_GB_Opensource.zip (originally posted on opensource.samsung.com, since removed.)
    Epic GB source patches: kernel-GB-3a-patches.tar.gz
    Source-compiled, keyboard fix EI22 kernel: kernel-GB-3a.tar.md5
    (URLs for Mesmerize tree patches removed, although they're still valid.)
    Win. Tomorrow I have internet hooked up at my apartment. Tomorrow we do some work.
    I'm flatted, but honestly JT, Rodderik, and everyone else must get their due too.

I maintain that Rodderik would've had this working on his own in a day or two. I just happened to be a bit less busy today.

:D I'm glad you happened to stumble upon what i was stuck on and got it working. I got taken away the past week from working on it having to move 10 websites to a new server...stupid hoster with their crappy hardware. I'm sure we will be able to use this to help with cm7. There are a handful of people working on it but the main cm7 people are deca and jt atm. I'll have prepatched/forkable sources up on github soon for the work mkasick has done to get it working.
    Ideally there would be one Samsung Android kernel source tree that would contain code for our device as well as all their others. However, I've been checking somewhat recently and code for Epic never appered in the GT-I9000 sources (which have been updated recently) nor in the Stratosphere ones.

It didn't occur to me to check the Mesmerize sources sooner, but as the only US device with an official GB release (still?) it shouldn't have been much of a surprise. It's also worth nothing that there appears to be GB sources for the Indulge in there as well. I'm not sure of their buildability though.
    mwuhahahahahaha

knew someone would get it booting lol

good thing samsung always bundles fascinate/epic source code together ;)