Prague
FTP server: epo.mediatek.com
Port: 21
Login: epo_alps
Password: epo_alps

There are two files:
EPO.DAT
EPO.MD5

Both files are updated on the server once per day, usualy around 7:51(GMT+2).
They should be downloaded to the folder: /data/misc .

When you try to download them from phone "EPO settings", you see message "EPO FILE INFO DOWNLOADING", than you see (50%). That 50% status appears and disappears around 3 times, and some time after that you receive error message "Download files invalid".

The reason is, that they have always wrong MD5 checksum in file EPO.MD5. So your phone download and compare/calc checksum for few times, but every time the checksum is incorrect. And that is reason, why it is not working.

I have tried to connect to the epo.mediatek.com ftp server manually from PC. Every time i download EPO.DAT file, the MD5 checksum is the same, but in EPO.MD5 file is another one (also still the same).
I have calculated correct MD5 checksum, and changed it to correct value to the file EPO.MD5. Than I have uploaded both files to my private FTP server. And than, through "Engineering Menu" (you can enter there by calling number *#*#3646633#*#* and then select "EPO" item) in the phone I have changed FTP connection/login/password to my server, and tested that. And when I have there correct MD5 checksum in file EPO.MD5, everything works as it should be.

So someone should tell Mediatek, that they have some serious problem with MD5 calculation on their FTP server.

Last edited:

the_underdog

Nov 5, 2008
As of today the problem still persist, however it's not caused by wrong MD5 check sum anymore. I've checked and it's correct, but I still get the same massage when trying to download the file from the Mediatek's server: "Download files invalid"
I've updated the EPO file on my phone by using my FTP server and it worked.

jago25_98

Jul 17, 2007
mine failed few times, switched to wifi and managed to get it to work. thanks for the engineering menu tip - very useful and interesting, especially with the agps reset, warm/full and timer options. Now looking for something similar for other phones

xexexexexexe

Jul 14, 2011
Oporto
EPO files not downloadable

I have tried to connect to the epo.mediatek.com ftp server manually from PC. Every time i download EPO.DAT file, the MD5 checksum is the same, but in EPO.MD5 file is another one (also still the same).
I have calculated correct MD5 checksum, and changed it to correct value to the file EPO.MD5. Than I have uploaded both files to my private FTP server. And than, through "Engineering Menu" (you can enter there by calling number *#*#3646633#*#* and then select "EPO" item) in the phone I have changed FTP connection/login/password to my server, and tested that. And when I have there correct MD5 checksum in file EPO.MD5, everything works as it should be.
Hi.
I've been having this problem since my UMI X1 arrived (MTK6577). I goes till 25% or 50%, and then restarts.. repeating until failure. Worse than that:
- If I download the files from the PC, and put them on /data/misc, it doesn't recognize them
- My engineering menu, on the EPO tab, doesn't have a field to let me choose the FTP server...

Do you know if there's other way of updating the EPO files, or forcing the EPO FTP settings?
Thank you

Reactions: hdaackda

jago25_98

Jul 17, 2007
I don't have a mediatek phone anymore - I sold it to replace it with something with sourcecode.

Can someone please scan thier /data/misc folder with ls -l to see what permissions the EPO file should have

xexexexexexe

Jul 14, 2011
Oporto
Finally

Hi.
I finally managed to get my EPO settings working.
It was a permissions problem, that didn't allow the phone to process the EPO.DAT (either downloaded from the PC and moved to /data/misc, either downloaded directly).

So, I just gave the EPO.DAT and EPO.MD5 files (under /data/misc) full permissions, and it just worked!

And I confirm that my MTK engineering menu doesn't have the option to change the EPO server settings.

Reactions: unibangalore

darko150

Dec 7, 2012
2013/12/24 I was able to download the last Epo file. After that the server is unavailable. What now?
Is there any way that someone told MediaTek to the problem?

ercea

Dec 12, 2012
Cádiz
I think server is very busy, I've downloaded EPO files from this month (I can't remember if was on 2nd or 3th of January), via PC with Filezilla :p. Now, I'm at work, when go back my home I will upload the files (mega?) .

Anyway, to get gps working correctly, is necessary to download EPO files every days :S.

Regards!

darko150

Dec 7, 2012
I Trying two days with computer with FileZilla and nothing.

"Anyway, to get gps working correctly, is necessary to download EPO files every days"

Is this true??? It says it's worth a 30 days.
Really I need to often download Epo?

ercea

Dec 12, 2012
Cádiz
I Trying two days with computer with FileZilla and nothing.

"Anyway, to get gps working correctly, is necessary to download EPO files every days"

Is this true??? It says it's worth a 30 days.
Really I need to often download Epo?
Oopss, sorry, I didn't know this, I suposed everydays system download EPO files. Here is January files, copy EPO.DAT, EPO.MD5 and LEGAL.txt on /data/misc folder:

https://mega.co.nz/#!NYlBFApL!Hrh57yPOTsbt7FZXn2RT3FhEXoE4knbBr61nd5E2gTg

regards!

petesimon

Aug 5, 2013
Oklahoma
www.facebook.com