Epo file download fails

Search This thread

shoosh84

Oct 21, 2013
Does anyone know how to change download URLs in location engineer mode? Is it reasonable to contact Mobile Uncle Tool's developers?
Is there anyone who can implement standalone application to automatically update EPO.DAT?

####
UPD already asked one comrade to write a simple app

Last edited:

cddf

Mar 25, 2014
Does anyone know how to change download URLs in location engineer mode?

The download server is hardcoded in the file:
Code:
/system/framework/mediatek-framework.odex

But it's a binary file, so I tried to simply change the server with a binar editor.
It didn't work, when I restarted my phone it hung up. That's typically for Android, refuses to work but without any message...

Maybe it's necessary to change a checksum located somewhere. I don't really know the mechanisms working with Android, Java and these odex files.

I hope that can help somebody to have more success...

Edit: Oh it's a HTTP server, not FTP. It can't work to connect, what I tried. But there must also be another problem, connecting is not possible with both entries...

Last edited:

BlaY0

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2007
Medvode
Success

The download server is hardcoded in the file:
Code:
/system/framework/mediatek-framework.odex

But it's a binary file, so I tried to simply change the server with a binar editor.
It didn't work, when I restarted my phone it hung up. That's typically for Android, refuses to work but without any message...

Maybe it's necessary to change a checksum located somewhere. I don't really know the mechanisms working with Android, Java and these odex files.

I hope that can help somebody to have more success...

Edit: Oh it's a HTTP server, not FTP. It can't work to connect, what I tried. But there must also be another problem, connecting is not possible with both entries...

I managed to change the download URL by tweaking ftpDownload method a little but for that I had to deodex everything and disassemble/reassemble mediatek-framework. Attached is a patch for MtkEpoClientManagerService.smali which can be applied after baksmaling mediatek-framework.

There is also another way which is proven to work. You can setup your own ftp server hosting epo files which are periodically updated from mediatek sites. All you have to do is use epo_alps as username/password and edit /etc/hosts on you phone adding:

Code:
<YOUR FTP SERVER IP> epo.mediatek.com

...and your phone should download from your ftp server instead of real mediatek servers.

Attachments

• epo_download.patch.gz
    545 bytes · Views: 563
Last edited:

speedieeCK

Oct 17, 2013
Finally my GPS start working but... I can't use it with my Sygic :|
Loosing road, spinning on crossroads... madness.

Any ideas guys?

Sorry for my English :)

simsalonaut

Oct 19, 2013
Heidelberg
This app from the Play Store downloads the EPO files, stores them at the right location and provides instructions to get GPS working. Did a fine job for me :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chxdev.mtgps

Never worked for me. Downloading from epodownload.mediatek.com (EPO.DAT & EPO.MD5) has been my only solution. Maybe it only works on certain phones/chipsets?

darko150

Dec 7, 2012
They say: Only for phones with MT6577/MT6589(T)/MT6592 chipset!
Works and on my MT6572 chipset.

zizolec

Jul 2, 2013
That works it downloaded those while in 5 sec which I could not download from phone last 2 days.

1. From the MediaTek website

MediaTek seems to have heard the users, because you can now get the current EPO files at these locations:

epodownload.mediatek.com/EPO.DAT
epodownload.mediatek.com/EPO.MD5
Put the files EPO.DAT and EPO.MD5 into /data/misc.

Reboot.

TziMmysGr

Nov 23, 2011
1. From the MediaTek website

MediaTek seems to have heard the users, because you can now get the current EPO files at these locations:

Put the files EPO.DAT and EPO.MD5 into /data/misc.

Reboot.

That is perfect, but can we change it somehow at our devises, so we download these directly at our phones and not our pc's?

Jeewan Deep

Jun 2, 2013
kolkata
Epo network unavailable

bro..!! i have Mmx a114 and even without epo phone gps is ok..! buy the thing is i want it to be fixed..!! in epo download.. even after pressing it.. it nt even showing % nd no. of how much hv been download.. so.. i went to engineer mode.an saw that.... its says network. unavailable.... everything i press download. !! i never faced this kinda issue before... nd i tried to fo factory. reset 2-3 ties no use..!! i now use MT GPS fix... but still i want a fix for it..!! is it a hardware prob or smtng.. "! How does our phone use epo though..???? plz help..frnds....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Final solution?

Thanks to a tip from @ultrasound191, we now have a different source: the current EPO files can be found at

Just tried it, and it works perfectly - no delays, and files are always up to date. Cheers!
    FTP server: epo.mediatek.com
    Port: 21
    Login: epo_alps
    Password: epo_alps

There are two files:
    EPO.DAT
    EPO.MD5

Both files are updated on the server once per day, usualy around 7:51(GMT+2).
    They should be downloaded to the folder: /data/misc .

When you try to download them from phone "EPO settings", you see message "EPO FILE INFO DOWNLOADING", than you see (50%). That 50% status appears and disappears around 3 times, and some time after that you receive error message "Download files invalid".

The reason is, that they have always wrong MD5 checksum in file EPO.MD5. So your phone download and compare/calc checksum for few times, but every time the checksum is incorrect. And that is reason, why it is not working.

I have tried to connect to the epo.mediatek.com ftp server manually from PC. Every time i download EPO.DAT file, the MD5 checksum is the same, but in EPO.MD5 file is another one (also still the same).
    I have calculated correct MD5 checksum, and changed it to correct value to the file EPO.MD5. Than I have uploaded both files to my private FTP server. And than, through "Engineering Menu" (you can enter there by calling number *#*#3646633#*#* and then select "EPO" item) in the phone I have changed FTP connection/login/password to my server, and tested that. And when I have there correct MD5 checksum in file EPO.MD5, everything works as it should be.

So someone should tell Mediatek, that they have some serious problem with MD5 calculation on their FTP server.
    Is there someone new Epo?
    I'm trying to download it 2 days, but do not go
    download
    http://ge.tt/4kklvs81/v/12

and see other posts in this forum thread...
    I Trying two days with computer with FileZilla and nothing.

"Anyway, to get gps working correctly, is necessary to download EPO files every days"

Is this true??? It says it's worth a 30 days.
    Really I need to often download Epo?

Oopss, sorry, I didn't know this, I suposed everydays system download EPO files. Here is January files, copy EPO.DAT, EPO.MD5 and LEGAL.txt on /data/misc folder:

https://mega.co.nz/#!NYlBFApL!Hrh57yPOTsbt7FZXn2RT3FhEXoE4knbBr61nd5E2gTg

regards!