Epo file download fails

Search This thread
Jul 8, 2014
where is Data/Misc folder ?

hello,

Can you please tell me where is the DATA/MISC folder?
Is it under internal storage or SD card?
I can only see data folder under internal storage but there is no MISC folder.
DO I need to create one ?

thanks in advance

cshadow

May 9, 2010
hello,

Can you please tell me where is the DATA/MISC folder?
Is it under internal storage or SD card?
I can only see data folder under internal storage but there is no MISC folder.
DO I need to create one ?

thanks in advance

It should be under root/data/misc/.
What you see is probably mounted somewhere like /storage/sdcardx/data or /storage/data.
You need a rooted phone and a file manager that supports browsing the whole folder tree.
Try installing x-plore or something like that.

Reactions: nirmalabhi2611
Jul 8, 2014
It should be under root/data/misc/.
What you see is probably mounted somewhere like /storage/sdcardx/data or /storage/data.
You need a rooted phone and a file manager that supports browsing the whole folder tree.
Try installing x-plore or something like that.

Sorry could not reply you early as didn't get notification.
anyways, I downloaded xplore as you said. I can see root folder there, and inside there is data folder, but there is no misc folder.
I think my phone is not properly rooted. noe suppose even if I root my phone , and then connect my phone to the PC, will I be able to see the root folder on my PC. right now i can only see microsd card and internal storage - both as different drives.
thanks a lot.

cshadow

May 9, 2010
Download root checker. In x-plore go to confuguration and enable root access. Then check if you see misc folder.

alexpu1u

Aug 14, 2012
Constanta
Thanks to a tip from @ultrasound191, we now have a different source: the current EPO files can be found at

epodownload.mediatek.com/EPO.DAT
epodownload.mediatek.com/EPO.MD5

Just tried it, and it works perfectly - no delays, and files are always up to date. Cheers!

Thank you very much, your post was very usefull beca use i tryed with MT gps epo downloader or some app named like that and it made my files 0kb, the links you gave worked like a charm :)

Reactions: herc2k
Jul 8, 2014
Download root checker. In x-plore go to confuguration and enable root access. Then check if you see misc folder.

Hello. I downloaded root checker it says "Sorry! this device does not have proper root access".
in X-plore i can see root as main drive and inside there is data folder, but there is no subfolder for misc.
As I can see the "root" drive does that mean my device is rooted but may be not completely rooted?
thanks

doongoo

Aug 30, 2011
Szombathely
Hello. I downloaded root checker it says "Sorry! this device does not have proper root access".
in X-plore i can see root as main drive and inside there is data folder, but there is no subfolder for misc.
As I can see the "root" drive does that mean my device is rooted but may be not completely rooted?
thanks
You re wrong, try to root at first.

Tapatalked from a MIUI powered phone

Jul 8, 2014
You re wrong, try to root at first.

Tapatalked from a MIUI powered phone

HI,

I have now rooted my phone.
Yes, i can see the root/misc/folder on my phone (only) with the xlporer app .
But I cannot see these folders on PC?
Currently, when i look into the misc folder on my phone it has epo.dat and eop.md5 but still gps doesn't work.
Any solution please?

Jul 8, 2014
Thank you very much, your post was very usefull beca use i tryed with MT gps epo downloader or some app named like that and it made my files 0kb, the links you gave worked like a charm :)

HI,

How can I download these EPO files direct on my phone ?
If I connect my phone to the PC it does not show the data/misc folder..
But I can view this folder on the phone via the ROOT BROWSER app.
Please let me know as I want to copy these epo files on to the misc folder.
thanks in advance!!

alexpu1u

Aug 14, 2012
Constanta
Download http://epodownload.mediatek.com/EPO.DAT

And http://epodownload.mediatek.com/EPO.MD5

Then overwrite them to your data/misc folder via root explorer.
Open settings-location access-gps satellites-epo settings- an if at the download time you see curent date and time, you did it right, and you have the latest epo files.
If not you probably need to reboot.

HI,

How can I download these EPO files direct on my phone ?
If I connect my phone to the PC it does not show the data/misc folder..
But I can view this folder on the phone via the ROOT BROWSER app.
Please let me know as I want to copy these epo files on to the misc folder.
thanks in advance!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: hdaackda and herc2k

cshadow

May 9, 2010
That app failed to do anything on my phone and you have no indication it downloaded epo files. Better get fixed epodownloader.

emfox

Mar 16, 2011
I managed to change the download URL by tweaking ftpDownload method a little but for that I had to deodex everything and disassemble/reassemble mediatek-framework. Attached is a patch for MtkEpoClientManagerService.smali which can be applied after baksmaling mediatek-framework.

There is also another way which is proven to work. You can setup your own ftp server hosting epo files which are periodically updated from mediatek sites. All you have to do is use epo_alps as username/password and edit /etc/hosts on you phone adding:

Code:
<YOUR FTP SERVER IP> epo.mediatek.com

...and your phone should download from your ftp server instead of real mediatek servers.

Hello, thanks for the method to solve the problem, I tried to serve EPO.* files via my own ftp server, and add the ip to /etc/hosts, now while I click download in setting --> gps --> epo setting, it responsed fast, with a "File not found(remote or local file)" error.

Is there any other file I should serve on my ftp, beside epo.dat and epo.md5?

hdaackda

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks to a tip from @ultrasound191, we now have a different source: the current EPO files can be found at

Just tried it, and it works perfectly - no delays, and files are always up to date. Cheers!

Thank you SO much!!

I get the RED satellites in YGPS immediately now (after updating EPO files), but they dont turn GREEN!! (dont catch satellite)
Mobile data is ON, AGPS is ON etc (i've tried GOOGLE and NOKIA profiles in AGPS).. dont seem to work. Warm/Full/Agps restart, tried everything :(

Any other suggestions?

Desmanto

Apr 2, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Thanks for the alternate download server.
The original server at epo.mediatek.com is a FTP server, and doesn't have enough resource to handle all mediatek devices from all around the world. When I shark the connection, it shows error 421 There are too many connected users, please try later.. Seems they need to raise the ftp server limit. The alternate epodownload.mediatek.com is a HTTP server, and seems to have more resources (or still less people access it), it always success to download at first try.
Hello, thanks for the method to solve the problem, I tried to serve EPO.* files via my own ftp server, and add the ip to /etc/hosts, now while I click download in setting --> gps --> epo setting, it responsed fast, with a "File not found(remote or local file)" error.

Is there any other file I should serve on my ftp, beside epo.dat and epo.md5?
Can you ping to your ftp server? Do you set the ftp to have username/password as epo_alps?
Since u r rooted, you can also download the EPO.dat at certain folder at sdcard, and use server ultimate to host FTP at port 21, with the username/password as epo_alps. Then redirect the hosts to 127.0.0.1. It will then download the EPO from the local FTP, which doesn't need extra server beside the phone itself.
That app failed to do anything on my phone and you have no indication it downloaded epo files. Better get fixed epodownloader.
R u rooted? It needs root for 3rd party app to access the /data/misc, in order to replace the EPO.dat manually.
The app seems not optimized, 2,1 MB for a one-trick-pony app?
VTS tell me, it embedded too much google library (for ads) inside the apk.
Thank you SO much!!
I get the RED satellites in YGPS immediately now (after updating EPO files), but they dont turn GREEN!! (dont catch satellite)
Mobile data is ON, AGPS is ON etc (i've tried GOOGLE and NOKIA profiles in AGPS).. dont seem to work. Warm/Full/Agps restart, tried everything :(

Any other suggestions?
I don't know much with the built-in YGPS, but I always try it outdoor using Androits. More information and detail. Remember that mediatek GPS is not as powerful as qualcomm GPS.

=========================================
After I know this, I come out with the idea to download the EPO.dat manually from the alternate server at epodownload.mediatek.com using tasker. And it works using the tasker http GET. So we can actually download it using tasker, and copy it through the task to /data/misc. We can even set the schedule to automate the download every week or trigger manually every time we use a GPS map. Of course, root is still needed.

Desmanto

Apr 2, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Yes. rooted miui rom android 4.2.2. As i said, epodownloader works fine.
The app have too much bloat inside. And both the app dan epodownloader don't check for the MD5. And they delete the previous EPO before downloading the new one. So in case of failure, we lose our previous EPO too.

Using tasker and a little knowledge of bash script (from googling result), It can check for the last modified (download time) of the EPO and trigger the download automatically (for example every weeek). Then it will calculate the checksum of the EPO.DAT, matches it with the EPO.MD5. Only if they match, then copy the EPO.DAT to the /data/misc/ replacing the current EPO.DAT. Much safer since we keep our previous EPO, until we are sure that the new EPO is properly downloaded.

TziMmysGr

Nov 23, 2011
Ok, that would be great. Try to keep it as clean as possible, asking only for needed permissions.

eben80

Feb 17, 2010
Kosice
Ok, that would be great. Try to keep it as clean as possible, asking only for needed permissions.
Try this and tell me what you think.

Needs root..
It has no GUI, it basically just downloads the files from epodownload.mediatek.com and copies them to /data/misc and tells you when done.
b75fd82c3eb1d34a80dd8a6971f9e0c0.jpg
9eaaf34025f8d515d837b2b2b19b2a59.jpg
548406adf404f3336c2fff56afe63587.jpg

Attachments

• epodl.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 246
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Final solution?

FTP server: epo.mediatek.com
    Port: 21
    Login: epo_alps
    Password: epo_alps

There are two files:
    EPO.DAT
    EPO.MD5

Both files are updated on the server once per day, usualy around 7:51(GMT+2).
    They should be downloaded to the folder: /data/misc .

When you try to download them from phone "EPO settings", you see message "EPO FILE INFO DOWNLOADING", than you see (50%). That 50% status appears and disappears around 3 times, and some time after that you receive error message "Download files invalid".

The reason is, that they have always wrong MD5 checksum in file EPO.MD5. So your phone download and compare/calc checksum for few times, but every time the checksum is incorrect. And that is reason, why it is not working.

I have tried to connect to the epo.mediatek.com ftp server manually from PC. Every time i download EPO.DAT file, the MD5 checksum is the same, but in EPO.MD5 file is another one (also still the same).
    I have calculated correct MD5 checksum, and changed it to correct value to the file EPO.MD5. Than I have uploaded both files to my private FTP server. And than, through "Engineering Menu" (you can enter there by calling number *#*#3646633#*#* and then select "EPO" item) in the phone I have changed FTP connection/login/password to my server, and tested that. And when I have there correct MD5 checksum in file EPO.MD5, everything works as it should be.

So someone should tell Mediatek, that they have some serious problem with MD5 calculation on their FTP server.
    Is there someone new Epo?
    I'm trying to download it 2 days, but do not go
    download
    http://ge.tt/4kklvs81/v/12

and see other posts in this forum thread...
    I Trying two days with computer with FileZilla and nothing.

"Anyway, to get gps working correctly, is necessary to download EPO files every days"

Is this true??? It says it's worth a 30 days.
    Really I need to often download Epo?

Oopss, sorry, I didn't know this, I suposed everydays system download EPO files. Here is January files, copy EPO.DAT, EPO.MD5 and LEGAL.txt on /data/misc folder:

https://mega.co.nz/#!NYlBFApL!Hrh57yPOTsbt7FZXn2RT3FhEXoE4knbBr61nd5E2gTg

regards!