Eris cracked screen help

Search This thread

Palmbxr

Apr 5, 2010
Belchertown
so i dropped my phone just the outer glass broke the lcd is find i was wondering where i can get the cheepest replacement for that i realy dont know what the price goes for but id rather not spend 500 on a retail andriod phone. my upgrade is like 3 months

V1215

Jun 29, 2010
Report it broken, pay $90 for a replacement through Asurion. Cheaper than $500, y'know?

Sent from my FroyoEris

Prefader

Sep 10, 2010
If you don't mind the long shipping times, you can get a digitizer + the entire housing together for around $60 on ebay. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

#EDIT#
Zombie post . . . sorry about that. Need to remember to look at dates before replying.

Last edited:

AndroidAaron

Dec 2, 2010
so i dropped my phone just the outer glass broke the lcd is find i was wondering where i can get the cheepest replacement for that i realy dont know what the price goes for but id rather not spend 500 on a retail andriod phone. my upgrade is like 3 months

I just replace mine, and is wasn't too bad. There is videos on YouTube about how to do it. It took me about an hour, and the part costs about 40 bucks. If you need any help with it, feel free to email me xda@studertech.net

Aaron

groovel76

Mar 22, 2010
Arnold

I'm going through the same thing. Amazon has some digitizers for about $40. I decided to spend the extra $20 and get this instead
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F5CEDW
It's the whole casing. I didn't want to bother with stripping the digitzer off the frame which is glued on. With replacing the whole body, you just move the mainboard over and plug everything back in. At least this is my hope. I'll post here again when the thing actually arrives. I ordered it two weeks ago and it probably won't be here until mid March.

Good luck with whatever you decided to go with.

UPDATE. hmmm october was the post date. I guess this guy has long taken care of his problem

roscuthiii

Jul 7, 2010
Pac NW
Are there any particular tools needed? I swear my other half is on a mission to destroy her phone. It'd be good to know how to do some of the possible DIY stuff.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Are there any particular tools needed? I swear my other half is on a mission to destroy her phone. It'd be good to know how to do some of the possible DIY stuff.

There's Youtube videos for disassembly. I haven't watched them myself, but I know they exist, so they probably tell you what tools you need there. From what I remember hearing, just some small torx screwdrivers, or maybe some small phillips, too, but don't quote me on those. :D

groovel76

Mar 22, 2010
Arnold
Here is a link to the teardown video I followed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHwm-32BI0w

The amazon link in my previous post is what I bought. It was the whole body. There are just screen replacements but I didn't want to mess with that because the digitizer is glued to the front piece. I didn't want to risk warping or breaking the front piece and completely screwing myself over. Anyway, what I bought came with the tools you need to perform the teardown and an extra screwdriver that was not needed.

I am glad I did this. However, it came with it's share of issues.

-The very top of my digitizer does not work. As a result, I can't pull down the notification bar. I can get to it through the menu button but it is annoying.

-I had to move the ear speaker and loudspeaker over. They were glued to some foam which was stuck/glued to the chassis. That foam absorbed the vibration. When my phone rings loud it is nasty because the speaker is bouncing around. I tried to cut some foam myself to replace what was stuck in the old case. It helped but it's not perfect.

-There are some rubber buffers? Isolators? Not sure what their called which also needed to be moved over form the old case.

-It took a month to ship to my house. After discovering these issues, I am kind've stuck with them because it would take a month to send the parts back and another month to get a replacement. By then I'll be due for a new phone.

So that's my experience of replacing the whole case.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Prefader

Sep 10, 2010
To add to this, because I'm sure there are others out there like me who intend to use their Eris until it gets run over, dropped in lava, drawn, quartered, and defecated upon . . .

I ordered the same replacement housing and digitizer as mentioned above, and had 2 small problems:

1. The housing I got had a nut in it that came loose, so that one of the corners wasn't able to reassemble properly.
  2. There was something different in the new housing that caused the proximity sensor to function incorrectly.

For #1, I just used some super glue to weld the nut into place. This appears to have worked OK, but I fear that the point is weakened now and I will need to be very gentle if I disassemble the phone again.

For #2, The problem was that the housing was allowing bleed through inside the case from the proximity flasher to the light sensor, which caused the sensor to determine that there was something close to it when in fact there wasn't. I placed a small (oh so small) piece of electrical tape into the housing between where the IR flasher and sensor are located, and the problem was resolved.

If presented with the option of purchasing a new digitizer alone, or a new digitizer and housing together, follow groovel76's suggestion; it's well worth the time and money to go with the latter. The hassle of cleaning the old adhesive off of the new housing, and the risks of getting new adhesive in places where you don't want it far outweigh the cost of just getting a housing with adhesive pre-applied. I tried to do just a digitizer first, and ended up with a small amount of super glue (DO NOT RECOMMEND) getting on the new screen and the edge of the housing, as well as a screen that didn't seat properly because I didn't get quite all of the old bits out of the old housing. This resulted in dust getting under the screen and another crack when I attempted to fix what I'd screwed up the first time.

Between the availability of parts and ROMs for this phone, I see it being in my family for a LONG time yet.

MBL85

Feb 9, 2012
Virginia Beach
Yes! Buy a digitizer online (most come with the tools you need such as the torx screwdrivers, mine did) and search for videos on youtube. That's what I did and it only cost me $37 for the digitizer and about 30 minutes of my time. And it worked perfectly as new when I got it all back together.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a link to the teardown video I followed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHwm-32BI0w

The amazon link in my previous post is what I bought. It was the whole body. There are just screen replacements but I didn't want to mess with that because the digitizer is glued to the front piece. I didn't want to risk warping or breaking the front piece and completely screwing myself over. Anyway, what I bought came with the tools you need to perform the teardown and an extra screwdriver that was not needed.

I am glad I did this. However, it came with it's share of issues.

-The very top of my digitizer does not work. As a result, I can't pull down the notification bar. I can get to it through the menu button but it is annoying.

-I had to move the ear speaker and loudspeaker over. They were glued to some foam which was stuck/glued to the chassis. That foam absorbed the vibration. When my phone rings loud it is nasty because the speaker is bouncing around. I tried to cut some foam myself to replace what was stuck in the old case. It helped but it's not perfect.

-There are some rubber buffers? Isolators? Not sure what their called which also needed to be moved over form the old case.

-It took a month to ship to my house. After discovering these issues, I am kind've stuck with them because it would take a month to send the parts back and another month to get a replacement. By then I'll be due for a new phone.

So that's my experience of replacing the whole case.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.