• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Error: "nandroid-mobile.sh restore" from console!

Search This thread

lorsoblu

Nov 8, 2009
Austin
Hello everyone,

(Note, I did do a nandroid backup before I did ANYTHING, right after rooting)

I was having some issues with Modaco 1.0 when it was first put out, and like everyone else, got trapped in a reboot loop. Once I saw that the fix was repartitioning to FAT32, I did so, re-flashed the ROM, and I was back in. All was good.

But when 1.1 came out, I really wanted to restore to my backup to start fresh with the new ROM, but it did not work out. When I tried to do so in the recovery console, I got this error - Error: "nandroid-mobile.sh restore" from console! -

What am I supposed to do with that? I went ahead and went through with 1.1, but I am worried I accidentally closed my backdoor at some point. I noticed I lost some things from the basic ROM (such as the default wallpapers, and I had issues with Google Maps), and I am just generally worried something is fishy in there.

Any suggestions?

thecodemonk

Oct 23, 2009
Spokane, WA
Hello everyone,

I was having some issues with Modaco 1.0 when it was first put out, and like everyone else, got trapped in a reboot loop. Once I saw that the fix was repartitioning to FAT32, I did so, re-flashed the ROM, and I was back in. All was good.

But when 1.1 came out, I really wanted to restore to my backup to start fresh with the new ROM, but it did not work out. When I tried to do so in the recovery console, I got this error - Error: "nandroid-mobile.sh restore" from console! -

What am I supposed to do with that? I went ahead and went through with 1.1, but I am worried I accidentally closed my backdoor at some point. I noticed I lost some things from the basic ROM (such as the default wallpapers, and I had issues with Google Maps), and I am just generally worried something is fishy in there.

Any suggestions?

Your Nandroid backup was on that SDcard...I don't suppose you saved it before formatting it?

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
Hello everyone,

Any suggestions?

nah. The happens sometimes. Could be your nandroid backup got corrupted or you are low on battery power. Two most common causes. I would make sure the nandroid backup is on the sd card. if so, simply try plugging it in to a power supply. Let us know if you get it working.

lorsoblu

Nov 8, 2009
Austin
All right... I did not want to admit it but I believe what you said is probably true, and I either corrupted or simply deleted the nandroid backup during all the flashing and repartitioning. I am not seeing it at all when I mount the SD card. It crossed my mind a little too late that I should have pulled it off the card.

What are my options here? On the one hand, it is working fine for now. I had just got the Hero earlier that day (did an exchange due to dead pixels and network issues), so it was not like I lost anything important. Is there an easy way for me to go all the way back, such as flashing the original ROM to the phone, and essentially starting over, like I just opened the box and turned the phone on? That way I can do it right from the very beginning. I just worry that in all my partitioning things got scrambled, and I am not seeing the repercussions from it yet, other than Google Maps.

lorsoblu

Nov 8, 2009
Austin
Thanks for the link.

Is there some process to this? I mean, I understand the whole update.zip concept of flashing the ROM, but would I also need to do a complete wipe of the SD card to achieve the fresh start I am looking for? Should I partition it at only FAT32, or go ahead and setup the ext2 partition before flashing the original ROM?

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
Thanks for the link.

Is there some process to this? I mean, I understand the whole update.zip concept of flashing the ROM, but would I also need to do a complete wipe of the SD card to achieve the fresh start I am looking for? Should I partition it at only FAT32, or go ahead and setup the ext2 partition before flashing the original ROM?

convert sd card to "SDPART:fat32 only" from custom recovery

et the official RUU wipe your phone

enable USB debugging in settings>applications

reroot your phone using asroot exploit

make any partition changes you want

do a nandroid backup

do a nandroid restore to verify it works

backup on your workstation /sdcard/nandroid

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR SD PARTITION TYPE AT THIS POINT

get to modding in confidence

lorsoblu

Nov 8, 2009
Austin
convert sd card to "SDPART:fat32 only" from custom recovery

et the official RUU wipe your phone

enable USB debugging in settings>applications

reroot your phone using asroot exploit

make any partition changes you want

do a nandroid backup

do a nandroid restore to verify it works

backup on your workstation /sdcard/nandroid

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR SD PARTITION TYPE AT THIS POINT

get to modding in confidence

All right, I am having issues already, from the very beginning.

The RUU ROM .exe will not recognize the HTC Hero. It throws an error 170 at the step where it is trying to pull information from the phone. I think this has something to do with ADB, and the fact the computer did not have the SDK on it. (I originally set up the root with my Mac.)

So, where do I go? I have a Boot Camp partition and another computer both running Windows 7, but my attempts to put the SDK on those computers and then have the phone drivers properly recognized failed on both, and the .exe still cannot complete. Is there something I am missing here, or can I somehow do this on the Mac side? I'll take anything!

Edit: Just cause I can see someone asking, yes, I tried to do this on both of my Windows 7 computers, not the Mac. I recognized that the .exe would not run on OSX pretty quickly. :p

Last edited:

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
can you put your phone into fastboot (power+vol down) and get to the point where windows basically sees your phone

what you are looking for is when you type adb devices it shows your hero

fastboot might not work because it's a seperate program but try custom recovery main menu.... enable usb.... or something to that extent

I appologize I don't have my main computer in front of me so I can't tell you EXACTLY where to go

once I do, I'll find which one to hit.... it does work though because I had to do the same thing with my godly preaching of backups :blush:

it's one of the recovery areas though i promise

fastboot will see the hero as the same device as adb will in fastboot
adb will see the hero as recovery device in custom recovery

attempt both of these I'm certain one of these work

if absolutely all else fails.... after you "install" sprint ruu search your computer for rom.zip it should be in your START>RUN>%TEMP% in here somewhere

rename rom.zip it to HERCIMG.ZIP and put it at root of your sd card and boot into hboot and it should automatically find it and press action to flash it

Last edited:

lorsoblu

Nov 8, 2009
Austin
I'll give some of that a shot. I can confirm that adb devices was not showing the hero connected cause I tested that, so I have a feeling correcting that is my primary concern. What happened when I connected the Hero the first time was that it applied the drivers, but it could not find the ADB one, even after I added the SDK. So if anyone knows what that means (Windows 7 doesn't really give you an easy way to point and say, "Hey, I know what you are looking for, it's right here!" apparently, at least I haven't found it) it would be appreciated.

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
I'll give some of that a shot. I can confirm that adb devices was not showing the hero connected cause I tested that, so I have a feeling correcting that is my primary concern. What happened when I connected the Hero the first time was that it applied the drivers, but it could not find the ADB one, even after I added the SDK. So if anyone knows what that means (Windows 7 doesn't really give you an easy way to point and say, "Hey, I know what you are looking for, it's right here!" apparently, at least I haven't found it) it would be appreciated.

go to htc's website and get htc sync under support>sprint hero it has the drivers built in.... should fix driver issue

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
Actually, I do have one more question.

Following your instructions back on page 1, wouldn't I want to make the nandroid backup BEFORE repartition to fat32+ext2, so I could recover it all the way back to the standard ROM without partition alterations? Or is it necessary for me to repartition before creating a backup?

you'd think so.... but from my own experience if you do a backup on a partititon then convert it... it screws with the backup and you can't recover from it.... just in case... do 2 backups.... store the normal fat32 nandroid backup on your workstation (the entire nanddroid folder) and copy it back to sd after you convert it to fat32+ext2 .... you'll see what I'm talking about....

I don't quite understand why it does that... but for me I was only successful in recovering from a partition that I made a backup to not copied to (if that makes any sence)

also if you don't want to experiement yet... just leave it fat32... you can always change it later after you see it working (sorta confidence builder before tinkering)

thecodemonk

Oct 23, 2009
Spokane, WA
Actually, I do have one more question.

Following your instructions back on page 1, wouldn't I want to make the nandroid backup BEFORE repartition to fat32+ext2, so I could recover it all the way back to the standard ROM without partition alterations? Or is it necessary for me to repartition before creating a backup?

Think about it this way, you do a nandroid backup...it places it on the sdcard.

Then you go and change the format of the sd card (potentially blowing away or corrupting any data on it, including the nandroid backup you just made).

Thus why it's better to do it afterwards (besides, nandroid doesn't back up your sd card, just your phone's OS and such)

Aug 20, 2010
solved for me

i had that problem its cuz the back up is brocken get anthoer copy of it if u hav 1 then restore it again it worked for me:D