Error when trying to login to mi unlock tool

Search This thread

ArcIsTheBest

Nov 28, 2020
Hello, i wanted to unlock my xiaomi redmi 8's bootloader because i wanna install root on it. I completely understand the risks and im willing to unlock it. I don't care if it takes months for xiaomi to approve my mi account. So, when i tried logging in into mi unlock tool with my mi account, first thing i noticed is that its quite slow. Anyway i entered my details when i was at the account login page, and then a few seconds later the page turned white. At first i thought it was just simply loading however after i checked the logs, i see this message: WARNING: account loading error: -188. Ive done some research why it isnt working. They suggested that i should disable my antivirus and run the tool with administrator priviliges. However that didnt help either. Ive also noticed that after i clicked add account and device in mi unlock state, (i enabled mobile data and turned off wifi) it said my mi account had been added. However when i exit out of mi unlock state and go back it says to add my account again. I dont know if thats intentional or not. If somebody can help me i'd gladly appreciate it.

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
if youve failed unlocking it, your phone is still safely under guarantee, have no fear (IMHO)

i remembered ~2Y ago when i tried unlocking it i was also sent in a loop. i followed the usual guides and all and was also reverified on my phone and PC again. sometimes the mi server can be buggy, and we had to wait for a bit.

make sure your phones SIM 1 (in the middle) has both SMS and data kuota available, as thats how they verify your device and account. IIRC 1 SMS to their servers, and 1 verification data from network to your phone.

ArcIsTheBest

Nov 28, 2020
I haven't gotten to unlock my device yet. So far i'm at the logging in into mi unlock tool stage. And also yes, i have all of those things that you mentioned.

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
yep it looks like youre stumped after waiting a day. for references, which guide are you following? does windows and ADB|fastboot detect your phone and driver?

usually an account is verified after a few days when creating a new xiaomi account, and 1 week after using the phone.

from what i remembered that most guides dont state is that my friend told me to locate my device first via i.mi.com first. after locating the device in normal system mode, follow the usual steps. as i said i too remembered how buggy mi unlock can be. hopefully others can also chime in.

my mi unlock tools an ancient 4.5.514.47, newer versions should be preferred for security|bugfixes, but im just saying i unlocked it with that version in case it might help.

ArcIsTheBest

Nov 28, 2020
Good news, i managed to unlock and root my phone! I guess i was just lucky because i tried logging from day to day and i finally got it to work.