• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Esim plan for Galaxy LTE watch4 in US

Search This thread

sjgoel

Hello, I want to buy a cheap US phone plan for my Watch4. I am seeking:

- esim capability
- without requiring to have the smartphone plan. I do not want to change my current carrier.
- Could be Prepaid or postpaid
- Since a watch hardly uses any data, even a 500MB per month will be enough.

Any suggestions?

en6ads

Nov 28, 2021

- esim capability
- without requiring to have the smartphone plan. I do not want to change my current carrier.

Any suggestions?
I just set this up today. I have a Google pixel phone with Google Fi and wanted a standalone LTE watch with a separate phone number to my phone.

Steps:

- I purchased a Watch 4 LTE at Samsung store then walked to the nearest T-Mobile store. At that point I was not a T-Mobile customer.

- I asked to get the $5 per month Wearables 500mb plan (unlimited talk, messages, 500mb data). They did a trans union credit check and set it up. It took about 15 minutes.

-They took my watch's EID number to connect the watch to my new plan

-I then set up my T-Mobile online account and added the new phone number of the watch

- Once logged in to my T-Mobile account online, I got the esim QR code data from here: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/t-mobile-esim#heading4. The activation code is what the QR code contains, this is what you need to paste into the watch: LPA:1$T-MOBILE.GDSB.NET$

- Next step is to enable access to the watch's esim as standalone is not officially supported by Samsung:

- Open Galaxy Wearables app on your phone; go top left menu and click "About Galaxy Wearable"; tap "Galaxy Wearable" text about 5 times to open the developer options; Tap "Test ESIM Feature"; Tap "Current QR TestMode : off" to turn it on.

- In Wearables App go to "Watch Settings" and tap "Mobile Plans" and tap QR scanner; enter activation code manually - paste the esim qr data obtained in above step

-Watch will connect to T-Mobile and ask to download something to finish setup.

- In Google Messages on the watch I can switch between my pixel phone number and watch number to view, send and receive texts.

Reactions: spart0n and sjgoel

sjgoel

I just set this up today. I have a Google pixel phone with Google Fi and wanted a standalone LTE watch with a separate phone number to my phone.

Steps:

- I purchased a Watch 4 LTE at Samsung store then walked to the nearest T-Mobile store. At that point I was not a T-Mobile customer.

- I asked to get the $5 per month Wearables 500mb plan (unlimited talk, messages, 500mb data). They did a trans union credit check and set it up. It took about 15 minutes.

-I then set up my T-Mobile online account and added the new phone number of the watch

- Once logged in to my T-Mobile account online, I got the esim QR code data from here: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/t-mobile-esim#heading4. The activation code is what the QR code contains, this is what you need to paste into the watch: LPA:1$T-MOBILE.GDSB.NET$

- Next step is to enable access to the watch's esim as standalone is not officially supported by Samsung:

- Open Galaxy Wearables app on your phone; go top left menu and click "About Galaxy Wearable"; tap "Galaxy Wearable" text about 5 times to open the developer options; Tap "Test ESIM Feature"; Tap "Current QR TestMode : off" to turn it on.

- In Wearables App go to "Watch Settings" and tap "Mobile Plans" and tap QR scanner; enter activation code manually - paste the esim qr data obtained in above step

- In Google Messages on the watch I can switch between my pixel phone number and watch number to view, send and receive texts.
Thanks for your effort in writing this detailed, lengthy post.
Very helpful.

CrazyCypher

Oct 19, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4

- esim capability

Any suggestions?
Dent Wireless is perfect for those kind of things

Reactions: sjgoel

sjgoel

Steps:

You have one number on your mobile and another on watch. Are they connected together in some way, ie a call on phone can be answered from the watch?
Are you connected through digits or not?

en6ads

Nov 28, 2021
You have one number on your mobile and another on watch. Are they connected together in some way, ie a call on phone can be answered from the watch?
Are you connected through digits or not?
-My phone has a google fi number. My watch has a separate t-mobile number

-With 2 separate lines like I have, ideally you'd want to forward phone calls to the watch number when the phone is off, out of range or doesn't pick up; and similarly watch calls to the phone number when off, etc

-Text messages for watch and phone just work. They only need a data connection and are both routed to the watch via bluetooth tether, wifi or LTE data. With watch bluetooth and wifi disabled, I receive text messages to both numbers, and when I reply they show as coming from the number they were sent to. However, watch 4 notifications only seem to work for the watch number with only lte enabled (I get all phone texts, just not notified about them, still testing this one)

-Not sure what digits is. To set this up, the store employee added my watch's EID number to my account, then at home I pasted t-mobile's esim activation code (LPA:1$T-MOBILE.GDSB.NET$) into the watch at "enter activation code manually" step. You don't need the QR code once you know what it contains.

- My use case:
  • In the "phone" app on the watch 4, Settings -> Preferred number -> "Always ask"
  • In the "phone" app on the watch 4, Settings -> Supplementary services -> Call waiting enabled
  • On the watch: Settings -> Connections -> Mobile Networks -> set to "Auto"
  • I have conditional forwarding enabled for the watch number: with watch LTE on, in the "phone" app on watch, dial *004*phone's number#, and select watch number to dial from (more details on MMI codes here: https://www.androidauthority.com/call-forwarding-android-870778/)
  • Google Fi does not support conditional call forwarding. When I type the *004* MMI code I get an error saying not supported by google Fi.
  • Google Fi does have unconditional forwarding, however. I have this enabled (setting in their app).
  • When watch and phone are paired (LTE off):
    • I receive calls sent to both phone or watch numbers
    • I can place a phone number call, but not a watch number call (LTE is off)
  • When I'm out without my phone (LTE on):
    • I receive calls sent to both phone or watch numbers
    • I can place a watch number call, but not a phone number call
  • When the watch only has wifi on (so LTE and bluetooth disabled)
    • I cannot receive any calls
    • I cannot place any calls
    • Looks like VoWifi is not working

Last edited:
Reactions: sjgoel

sjgoel

Interesting. I am glad I someone finally made this work. I have been trying to find a way to get on T-Mobile $5 watch plan while my phone is on AT&T.
I am in the same boat.
On my watch4, LTE internet works fine with $5 T-mobile plan, but calling/SMS does not. Call or SMS does not go through. Have tried lot of options, while spending hours on phone with tech support.

sjgoel

Steps:

Finally LTE works with $5 T-mobile plan, but calling/SMS from watch does not (when not paired with phone). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reactions: galaxys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- esim capability

Any suggestions?

Steps:

That sounds correct, But you could go to a T-Mobile store for options...
    My first smartwatch, GW, I bought a plan on T-Mobile for stand-alone while I was on Sprint. This was way before they merged. I just went into a T-Mobile store and purchased a plan, at that time, for $15.00 a month.
    Who's your Carrier?

I'm good with TMobile unlimited plan w/ Digits esim addon ....
    I am on at&t.
    I don't think I can have digits without t-mobile phone plan.
    I am on at&t.
    I don't think I can have digits without t-mobile phone plan.
    That sounds correct, But you could go to a T-Mobile store for options...
    I hear there are some $5 plans, but did not find one with esim.