• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question eSim vs Physical sim

Search This thread

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
OnePlus Nord N100
Hi all,

I was wondering if it's worth moving to an eSim from a physical sim. Are there any specific advantages with eSims over a physical sim? I've tried researching this online but there's not much write-up on this...if there's anyone who's using an eSim exclusively, pls do share your thoughts..

I've only been using normal SIMs, but I thought about eSIMs for a while now and this is the way I see it:
SIM:
- easier to change in case you shuffle between more than 2 providers
- can break easier (I've seen a couple of broken SIMs over the years)
- maybe harder to get hit by fraudulent swap
- faster to switch between phones
eSIM:
- all the advantages/disadvantages above become disadvantages/advantages here

Personally I would only go for an eSIM in the following 2 situations:
- my provider forces me to
- my phone has more radios than SIM slots (like iPhones seem to have)

Anyone know if the eSIM can have an impact on regional limitations?

I.e, can one use an eSIM to unlock certain limitations like "Good Lock", "Beta Enroll" etc? Especially if paired with the correct CSC (and VPN if it has to be).

It's incredible to think that all this depends on these four lines that require root to change

Code:
gsm.sim.operator.numeric
gsm.operator.numeric
gsm.sim.operator.iso-country
gsm.operator.iso-country

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
OnePlus Nord N100
I've only been using normal SIMs, but I thought about eSIMs for a while now and this is the way I see it:
SIM:
- easier to change in case you shuffle between more than 2 providers
- can break easier (I've seen a couple of broken SIMs over the years)
- maybe harder to get hit by fraudulent swap
- faster to switch between phones
eSIM:
- all the advantages/disadvantages above become disadvantages/advantages here

Personally I would only go for an eSIM in the following 2 situations:
- my provider forces me to
- my phone has more radios than SIM slots (like iPhones seem to have)
Oh...I was thinking if there would be better reception through eSim or better battery life given that it's part of the phone's hardware...Any thoughts on this line?

tim2london

Mar 12, 2013
i've been using an eSim only since i got my s21
is a bit of a headache to transfer it - but once its done - is so much easier
i dont need to ever take the sim out or whatever not
and i had better reception and less heating or battery drain

also is easier to control it if someone steals your phone etc

I tend to disagree with @tim2london on a couple of aspects:
- The SIM card is just a means of authentication. SIM or eSIM, the radio transmission is done by the SAME radio module. It makes no sense that one would impact the operation of the said radio module.
- The difference in consumption should be very, VERY small. I'm talking maybe 1-2 mAh per battery cycle. Something impossible to notice even in lab conditions.
So unless the above two paragraphs can be disproved via strict lab tests, I consider them true.

@tim2london how is it easier to control the eSIM in case someone isstealing your phone? As far as I know the procedure would be the same: call your provider and ask for the SIM to be disabled.

Oh, yeah, moving an eSIM to a different phone (for whatever reason) is cumbersome at best.

tim2london

Mar 12, 2013
so you've only used SIM but you seem to know everything and be super sure about it when it comes to esim
even tho i only used esim for nearly a year and i speak from experience

im not interested in justifying what i just said - you want to believe it believe - you dont - DONT
the man asked a question and i answered it - as someone who is only using esim atm

as for the safety thing - someone can easily take the sim out and use it - they cant do that with an esim - they'd have to steal the phone together - they also cannot remove the sim from a phone to avoid tracking as removing an esim is not that easy either

all in all - there are no massive differences - and is mainly about convenience - you can use multiple esim profiles - from different networks - all you need to do to change is click a button

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Oh...I was thinking if there would be better reception through eSim or better battery life given that it's part of the phone's hardware...Any thoughts on this line?
I dont think esim will be better on battery or reception for the simple fact that esim/physical sims have to provide just a number to the phone to catch a signal and register on network which is similar in both cases

Reactions: amirage

calbrs

Aug 7, 2010
Bay Area
I don't know how it is now, but I used esim in the past on project fi and it was a pain in the butt when doing a factory reset. With the physical Sim, it would just my number a text to verify, whereas the esim would not be recognized until the phone was done setting up. Had to use the backup codes.

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
OnePlus Nord N100
@tim2london @aj7400 @calbrs @daniel_loft thanks for the inputs. I didn't think my post would generate so much interest. From what I've read so far, eSims are good to lock the phone completely and even help in tracking in the event of pilferage along with the ease of adding providers based on service - call vs data...there seem to have no battery advantage or network coverage with eSims over physical sims...

Thanks all once again..

I tried to enable 2 eSIM at the same time, that does not work !
So if you are using more then one provider then you will need to leave at least one real sim inside !

Also eSIM it a bit of a pain in my country, because i cannot transfer it to another phone without disabling it and asking the provider (KPN) for a new real SIM, when send i can then replace it for a eSIM.

WelshPaul

Mar 29, 2011
Swansea
www.ukvoipforums.com
I have been using an eSIM with Vodafone UK for almost a year now, and I can confirm that there is no difference in signal or battery performance compared to using a physical SIM. Personally, I prefer to use a physical SIM over eSIm's as eSIM's can be a pain to setup! They are supposed to be easy, but the networks make it extremely difficult and its common place on Vodafone UK for things to go wrong, and when they do, expect to be without phone service for some time.

eSIM Swap FAILURE

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I dont think esim will be better on battery or reception for the simple fact that esim/physical sims have to provide just a number to the phone to catch a signal and register on network which is similar in both cases
    The reason why I use esim is so that someone can't just take the simple out in case I lose my phone. Unless the person knows my password, he can't turn off mobile data, nor can they disable the Sim, which means I have a higher chance of relocating my device.
    Thanks all for your valuable inputs.
    Dual Sim guarantees Multi-Network capabilities. Not all Service Provider's offer the e-Sim Profile which is required even when the device is e-Sim capable.