eSIM?

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix
Bought S21 ultra because Samsung USA site says eSIM is supported.

I will return it if it is not supported. Samsung will have to deal with depreciation on the "open box/used" returned phone if the eSIM support is false advertising.

rjohnstone

Jan 31, 2011
Phoenix, AZ.
I'll join in on that, where do you file?
fcc.gov
You can file a complaint there... AT&T rep got back to me after FCC contacted them.
They claim eSIM in the Note 20 series doesn't work with their system.
I told them that's utter BS since eSIM is an industry standard that all manufacturers use and if you can provision an eSIM on Apple devices, you can provision them on Samsung devices.
I got nowhere... oh and don't hold your breath on the S21 either.
Samsung's website claims it's active on all models, however the AT&T rep stated it will not be enabled on devices sold by AT&T's.
I wonder how much Apple paid US carriers to keep eSIM restricted primarily to Apple devices and a handful of Android Wear and Samsung watches.

rjohnstone

Jan 31, 2011
Phoenix, AZ.
Bought S21 ultra because Samsung USA site says eSIM is supported.

I will return it if it is not supported. Samsung will have to deal with depreciation on the "open box/used" returned phone if the eSIM support is false advertising.
It's not. See my previous post. AT&T rep from the office of the President (AT&T) said it will "most likely" not be enabled.

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix
It's not. See my previous post. AT&T rep from the office of the President (AT&T) said it will "most likely" not be enabled.
I want to believe in Santa! Taking screenshot of the product specs now so I can file FCC complaint if it lacks eSIM support. As for these phone reps and Samsung reps, they could be playing it safe this time by saying it doesn't have eSIM support, since last couple times they said it did and turned out it did not.

Take it with grain of salt but there seems to be someone in US that says he has eSIM working on S20 running U1 unlocked firmware. Link below:

Reactions: rjohnstone

Mdyche82

Dec 7, 2020
i unlocked all modem bands by copying 986u1 modem files into my 9860 modem files, line by line to mach, ini files mount , optics, prisim, and so on so i now have nr66 nr71 nr 260 and so on every modem band, added dozen lte and carrier agg but still need esim client, theres good info from android devlopers on euicc and lpa client, if i can decrypy firmware files i think i can get what i need from another phone, s20 esim client,

side note on 986u1, lost google phone ue menu with recent update 27663368378 dont work, i downgraded to android 10 and works again so daddy sammy dont want us in there

post side note on 986u1 theres new esim files in recent update we might get it, its same modem as fold z2 s20 and iphone12...its sammy turning it off

rjohnstone

Jan 31, 2011
Phoenix, AZ.
i unlocked all modem bands by copying 986u1 modem files into my 9860 modem files, line by line to mach, ini files mount , optics, prisim, and so on so i now have nr66 nr71 nr 260 and so on every modem band, added dozen lte and carrier agg but still need esim client, theres good info from android devlopers on euicc and lpa client, if i can decrypy firmware files i think i can get what i need from another phone, s20 esim client,

side note on 986u1, lost google phone ue menu with recent update 27663368378 dont work, i downgraded to android 10 and works again so daddy sammy dont want us in there

post side note on 986u1 theres new esim files in recent update we might get it, its same modem as fold z2 s20 and iphone12...its sammy turning it off
I've decrypted the latest CTLB firmware and reviewed all the partitions and XML files. This includes decoding CSCFeature and CSCFeatureNetwork xml files.
Any mention of eSIM is completely removed from the device.
The second IMEI can be retrieved through the Diagnostics menu.
Did it once by accident and I'm unable to remember how I got to it. So the IMEI is viewable to the OS.

Edit... found it.
Service Menu (Google Dialer)
*#*#27663368378#*#*
[2]UE SETTING & INFO
[2]INFORMATION
[1]SW VERSION
[1] READ IMEI

Last edited:

rjohnstone

Jan 31, 2011
Phoenix, AZ.
I don't recall seeing eSIM support listed on Samsung US website for Note20. For S20, they had an asterisk saying eSIM is supported in some regions.

For S21, there is no asterisk and it says on Samsung US website that eSIM is supported.
Looks like AT&T is being AT&T.

According to AT&T Website, no eSIM for S21 or S21+ (Only lists Nano), and the S21 Ultra lists "Trio" as the SIM type... why on earth would they list a resizable physical SIM in the spec?

Under Wireless Tech in the specs section. Only Nano SIM is listed.

Under Wireless Tech in the specs section. Trio is listed.

Verizon website only says it comes with a pre-installed SIM. No mention of eSIM under tech specs either.

And of course on the Samsung community page, they say it won't be enabled on US devices.

Reactions: VICosPhi

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix
Looks like AT&T is being AT&T.
The optimist in me wants to believe both Samsung and the carriers. Maybe unlocked S21s will have eSIM and Carrier versions will be single SIM.

Wow this is great. So if you purchased a physical dual SIM Hong Kong version of the Note you could swap the modem files to enable US LTE and 5G bands and have a dual SIM phone?! Do you need to root to replace the modem files?

mindseye0803

Nov 29, 2020
I got my Note 20 ultra US unlocked version (SM-N986U) recently. There is a requirement to register IMEI(s) of every device with Telecom Regulatory Authority and pay the taxes here in my country (Pakistan). I provided the IMEI written on the box, unfortunately the system generated an error saying "The phone you are registering is Note 20 Ultra 5G. Please enter Second IMEI". I launched a complain saying the system might have confused with the global Exynos variant. They told me their system is connected with GSMA and they will check with Samsung. Within 24hrs I got the reply saying your Second IMEI is: 358XXX. Where as my physical SIM starts with 356XXX. This does confirm the second IMEI is there, Samsung needs to just unlock it. What are you waiting for SAMSUNG???
On ur note 20 ultra 5G, you can access Service Menu using (Google Dialer) to dial *#*#27663368378#*#*

and follow options

[2]UE SETTING & INFO

[2]INFORMATION

[1]SW VERSION

[1] READ IMEI

then two IMEIs are shown.

Reactions: phib3r

Mdyche82

Dec 7, 2020
I've decrypted the latest CTLB firmware and reviewed all the partitions and XML files. This includes decoding CSCFeature and CSCFeatureNetwork xml files.
Any mention of eSIM is completely removed from the device.
The second IMEI can be retrieved through the Diagnostics menu.
Did it once by accident and I'm unable to remember how I got to it. So the IMEI is viewable to the OS.

Edit... found it.
Service Menu (Google Dialer)
*#*#27663368378#*#*
[2]UE SETTING & INFO
[2]INFORMATION
[1]SW VERSION
[1] READ IMEI

in the optics of 986u1 in wwd csc it has ril_ support esim_false all the other csc are in binary and jarbled. but in features and network features it mention esim as false, I went through each one and wwd is only xml that is readable as plain text weird

side note esim client is there in your apps menu if you select syste. apps, also with quick shortcut manager under call settings it has esim profiles, remove all esim profiles , all of its there just set to false

on pre-order of my 986u1 I spoke to Samsung tech..not sales and I was promised dsds by esim and nano sim thats why I'm so mad as they lied... its in there one line of code to enable it

everyone keeps says carriers don't want it but if that was case why did fold z2 and s20 and iPhone 10 11 12 and so on have esim....they gave us shaft on 1500 buck phone and locked bootloader so we couldn't even do what we please with what we paid for

I'm tired of Samsung lies I will Crack the esim or die trying not that I even need it but its the fact they lied and when I crack it I will post for the world to have ,

Reactions: rjohnstone

Mdyche82

Dec 7, 2020
On ur note 20 ultra 5G, you can access Service Menu using (Google Dialer) to dial *#*#27663368378#*#*

and follow options

[2]UE SETTING & INFO

[2]INFORMATION

[1]SW VERSION

[1] READ IMEI

then two IMEIs are shown.

on my 9860 I have 2 imei and digging around i found imei number 3 for esim but can't remember where I found it in my 986u1 google phone app ue menu is now disabled cand even do pre-config...the Jan 17 update killed it

Mdyche82

Dec 7, 2020
The optimist in me wants to believe both Samsung and the carriers. Maybe unlocked S21s will have eSIM and Carrier versions will be single SIM.

Wow this is great. So if you purchased a physical dual SIM Hong Kong version of the Note you could swap the modem files to enable US LTE and 5G bands and have a dual SIM phone?! Do you need to root to replace the modem files?

yes I have modded the files and have nearly every band unlocked and full 5g on t-mobile, it took hours and hours staring at my laptop in split screen fs file explorer open in both windows 9860 rooted in 1 window 986u1 in other can't modify 986 files but can still see system files

I want to decrypt a s20 or fold z2 modem files my biggest help was using Qualcomm net manager instead of Samsung I found in one ini file that disabled Qualcomm modem net manager set to disable and under it set samsung netmanager as enabled 0661 .

I have bricked and bricked and had to start over numerous times also even if you erase nand and cache there's still a resident file that shows every reboot and refresh reason mine is very vary very long lol

Reactions: VICosPhi

Mdyche82

Dec 7, 2020
yes I have modded the files and have nearly every band unlocked and full 5g on t-mobile, it took hours and hours staring at my laptop in split screen fs file explorer open in both windows 9860 rooted in 1 window 986u1 in other can't modify 986 files but can still see system files

I want to decrypt a s20 or fold z2 modem files my biggest help was using Qualcomm net manager instead of Samsung I found in one ini file that disabled Qualcomm modem net manager set to disable and under it set samsung netmanager as enabled 0661 .

I have bricked and bricked and had to start over numerous times also even if you erase nand and cache there's still a resident file that shows every reboot and refresh reason mine is very vary very long lol

second reply the hk is hybrid dual sim by default either 2 sim cards or 1 sim 1 SD card thats why I'm hell bent on getting my esim on. I carry 9860 with 1tb sd card for 1.5tb total ....in theory lol....477 and 910gb after formatting...lol but I want my work and personal numbers on same phone and still have option for SD card

they dropped SD card even from ultra s21 BTW its 2200 for 512gb version of ultra it might be able to use spen but no hole to stick it in and must be,purchased separately thats why I'm note user I use spen daily during work so I'd lose it if I didn't have hole for it

Mdyche82

Dec 7, 2020

here is pic of system apps on my 986u1 on 11 with 3.0 on jan 17 update
and pic of csc feature in wwd csc xml in optics

Attachments

TheRedScorpion

May 17, 2008
Have any of you guys thought of flashing to Canadian SM-N986W?

I think the Canadian variant SM-N986W allows esim and it is very similar to SM-N986U in bands and same processor 😀

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix

Sounds like a lot of effort and dedication! Nice work...
I'd be glad to donate (and maybe others too) if you share the file names and steps.