eSIM?

Search This thread

mindseye0803

Nov 29, 2020
Weird. Never seen that screen before. Idk but I flashed Verizon firmware on my xaa to try and get certain features, also flashed back to unlocked firmware with no problem. I'm also not rooted tho, so idk.
Changing CSC to Verizon doesn't provide you all features? Do you really need to flash firmware? Just curious. What additional features does one get by flashing firmware that you wouldn't get by changing CSC?
Or Is it because u had XAA firmware?
FYI i have unlocked Tmobile branded Note20U and then when i moved to ATT, i changed CSC to ATT and get all features, no need to flash ATT firmware unless im missing features im not aware of.

Fatmonk8

Changing CSC to Verizon doesn't provide you all features? Do you really need to flash firmware? Just curious. What additional features does one get by flashing firmware that you wouldn't get by changing CSC?
Or Is it because u had XAA firmware?
FYI i have unlocked Tmobile branded Note20U and then when i moved to ATT, i changed CSC to ATT and get all features, no need to flash ATT firmware unless im missing features im not aware of.
RCS does not work in samsung messages on unlocked Verizon no matter what you do. I had also followed another thread to get RCS working but it turns out it's a Verizon thing that is blocked on unlocked USA phones. Flashing Verizon firmware gave me that feature, but I eventually went back to XAA because I just use Google messages now.

Reactions: mindseye0803

Maksim78

Feb 24, 2011
www.empirehomeautomation.com
After unsuccessfully trying to root latest DUB5 firmware form T-mobile with Magisk - found a solution:
Samsung apperently changed vbmeta in ONE UI 3.1 so we need to wait from vbmeta 3.1 disabled.

1. Patch original T-mobile AP with Magisk.
2. Replace BL_N986USQU1DUB5_CL20936746_QB38027387_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 with other BL image from Android 11 (One UI 3.0 XAA will work).
3. If you do not repalce BL file, you will get an error "vbmeta_fail" and your phone will get locked.

Last edited:
Reactions: VICosPhi

Mdyche82

Dec 7, 2020
The t mobile euicc is looking for 30.0.6 version before it will install and run correctly.
I can't mount it as editable to look for just 30,
Any ideas, unpack on my laptop and edit that way...
If I put it to look for 29 and up it should work. I got it to back door install but it's,not writing profile cause version it's looking for ain't there yet

Mdyche82

Dec 7, 2020
After unsuccessfully trying to root latest DUB5 firmware form T-mobile with Magisk - found a solution:
T-Mobile apperently locks vbmeta to official state only in latest firmwares.

1. Patch original T-mobile AP with Magisk.
2. Replace BL_N986USQU1DUB5_CL20936746_QB38027387_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 with other BL image from Android 11 (Latest XAA will work).
3. If you do not repalce BL file, you will get an error "vbmeta_fail" and your phone will get locked.
I can attest to that , briked mine 5 times

Maksim78

Feb 24, 2011
The t mobile euicc is looking for 30.0.6 version before it will install and run correctly.
I can't mount it as editable to look for just 30,
Any ideas, unpack on my laptop and edit that way...
If I put it to look for 29 and up it should work. I got it to back door install but it's,not writing profile cause version it's looking for ain't there yet

What exactly are you trying to mount? What is 30.0.6? Verison of euiccservice?

Mdyche82

Dec 7, 2020
What exactly are you trying to mount? What is 30.0.6? Verison of euiccservice?
looking into the tmb euicc file i got from you, you know how thye look for version of android to run and install on, this one is looking for 30.0.6 to install on, open up the installer package and in the android manifest, in complie version sdk it says 30.0.6 for version name r.0x1 android:versionName "30.0.6" like its looking for highr version than is installed as om sdk 30
i found a retorfit installer inside the package that writes the kotlin to metadada but looking at install log it freezes after it sees im only on sdk 30...was thinkingif i could modify the version it was looking for to 29 and up that it might install correctly maybe 30 and up because file system is way different, i cant edit the file though , im going to try to open on my laptop and see if i can modify...but thats project for tommorow...theyre laying foundation to enable but this should have been back in 10 like they promised, i got it halfway working and it found and added my plan but wont make or recive callss as it cant fine imei for esim ......

Maksim78

Feb 24, 2011
looking into the tmb euicc file i got from you, you know how thye look for version of android to run and install on, this one is looking for 30.0.6 to install on, open up the installer package and in the android manifest, in complie version sdk it says 30.0.6 for version name r.0x1 android:versionName "30.0.6" like its looking for highr version than is installed as om sdk 30
i found a retorfit installer inside the package that writes the kotlin to metadada but looking at install log it freezes after it sees im only on sdk 30...was thinkingif i could modify the version it was looking for to 29 and up that it might install correctly maybe 30 and up because file system is way different, i cant edit the file though , im going to try to open on my laptop and see if i can modify...but thats project for tommorow...theyre laying foundation to enable but this should have been back in 10 like they promised, i got it halfway working and it found and added my plan but wont make or recive callss as it cant fine imei for esim ......

I have euiccservice running on TMB DUB5 firmware natively. 30.0.6 is the actual verison of euiccservice.apk, NOT SDK. Min SDK is 30 and Taget SDK is 30 as well. Still cannot get eSIM to work, it gives me "Invalid chip on eSIM" whne trying to add plan.

Last edited:

Maksim78

Feb 24, 2011
Ok ive seen a lot about the esim but what about the dual sim option? or does the snapdragon model not have the slot for that? I know it doesnt com with the dual sim tray and its obviously not as easy to just get a new tray and pop your sims in. But is it a software or hardware issue for it?

I flashed AP from 9860 into 986U1 and it does appear with 2 physical IMEI numbers. BUT the SIM is not recognized in secondary slot (I bought a tray with DUAL-SIM from Exynos verision) so no LUCK.

Last edited:

rjohnstone

I flashed AP from 9860 into 986U1 and it does appear with 2 physical IMEI numbers. BUT the SIM is not recognized in secondary slot (I bought a tray with DUAL-SIM from Exynos verision) so no LUCK.
A dual SIM tray will fit, however there are no SIM contacts for the second slot. Only contacts for an SD Card.
First IMEI is for the physical slot, second is for the eSIM.

Reactions: VICosPhi
Do you guys have anything in this UE menu (LTE BANDS & CA COMBINATION)? I'm trying to set aggregations and don't find a way to do it. On recent firmware update I see 4G+ sign is way less often and using NSG app I can see that phone tries to connect to 2xCA finds second tower and then disconnects.

Screenshot_20210305-144337_Service mode RIL.jpg

What carrier/ country are you in. I can get you CA up to 3dl and carrier features by modification of the sx55 fusion modem file.
This is my map carrier list, bri chc and tgy only have 4 options by default. All the same. But I can add NA SA and some euro carriers with simple copy and paste inside mdm files.

Would you mind sharing these files with me?

I've been trying to enable CA combos. Unfortunately Snapdragon 865 and it's sx55 modem is not using 00028874 file anymore for carrier aggregations and I've found that TGY (Hongkong region CSC) and CHC (China) firmwares have different CA combinations in /nv/Item_files/modem/lte/rrc/cap/prune_ca_combos files. Also TGY firmwares have additional folder /ca_band_combos with ca_bands_454_06 (45406 is the MNC of SmarTone mobile operator) and it's having same format for CA something like that:

e-3AA-mAll;e-3CA-mAll;e-3CC-mAll;e-3AA-3A-mAll;e-3AA-3A-7A-mAll;e-7C-20AA-mAll;e-20AA-7A-3AA-mAll;e-38CC-mAll; etc.

I`ve created my own prune_ca_combos list and ca_bands_ files for 25001, 25002, 25099 - I live in Russia and those are Russian MTS, Megafon and Beeline MNCs. I can see my newly uploaded combos in *#9900# logs and also in UE Menu *#*#27663368378#*#* Protocol state - AS info - LTE PRUNE CA COMBOS page they are there but looks like my phone is not really using them. I have an old Samsung S10e Exynos as well and it always gets LTE 3xCA if I check *#0011# code while my Note 20 Ultra 9860 Snapdragon only connects to LTE 2xCA sometimes and doesn't use ULCA. It's weird and I thought maybe someone here knows where we can read more about it or where to dig in the modem or firmware together?

Would you guys be able to post your prune_ca_combo files from different firmwares of different 986x phones you have? You need QPST for that.

Top Liked Posts

Yes, that's right, 9860 is dual sim but technically it has eSIM chip and this is just a matter of editing some files. No problem if second sim slot will become just a card reader for the sake of esim.
    That may work then as long as you are using two SIMs total. May need some tinkering to get 2nd physical SIM slot's IMEI tied to eSIM's to use as eSIM's IMEI
    Nope. No one is trolling , here I am. Esim on main number physical Sim. On 2,

Have to use tmb 986u firmware and install user data
    Hey folks,

I've decoded the cscfeatures*.xml files and added the necessary change there *and* have also created a quick magisk module to splice in the EuiccService.apk file to /system/priv-app (will upload shortly, it's on another device) but here's my (likely rather simple to solve) question:

How can I force eSIM options to appear in the Settings app to actually make use of this mod? I have both an exynos N20 Ultra and a Snapdragon N20 Ultra (SM-N9860) - this is the last piece of the puzzle preventing me from migrating to the Snapdragon phone entirely so would love to solve it. Some report success with the US variant but wondering if anyone has got this working with the HK variant (N9860)?

I'd greatly appreciate any help! :)
    Making changes to cscfeatures alone wont enable eSIM. You need working euiccservice working propertly in priv app, which still wont install properly. You need to enable Sim card manager in build.prop and most important thing - EID would still show none in status of the phone. You need a working EID in order to get eSIM to work.
    Trolling? :) Now I understand why one of our senior members never loled so much as reading this thread. So much talks and nothing concrete here...
    Not trolling. eSIM support is actually here with March security patch for T-mobile USA branded Note 20 ultra SD version
    Wow! Hopefully someone could get their hands on to this firmware and would port it to Hong Kong SM-N9860 Snapdragon too! Would you mind sharing info on the firmware number and confirming if I understand correctly are you talking about SM-N986U, right?
    Sure, it is firmware N986USQU2DUC8
    HK variant already has dual physical SIMs right? I am not sure if it will work with eSIM in addition to two physical SIMs since there will be only two IMEIs on that phone due to two physical SIMs.
    Yes, that's right, 9860 is dual sim but technically it has eSIM chip and this is just a matter of editing some files. No problem if second sim slot will become just a card reader for the sake of esim.
    That may work then as long as you are using two SIMs total. May need some tinkering to get 2nd physical SIM slot's IMEI tied to eSIM's to use as eSIM's IMEI
    Nope. No one is trolling , here I am. Esim on main number physical Sim. On 2,

Have to use tmb 986u firmware and install user data
    Ok. I reset my phone back to stock, took notes.
    I'm on 986u1. Android 10 ui2.5 magisk patched.

Remove your simcard before you flash your phone. You don't want it to pick a carrier yet.

Start with root folder. Vendor. Default.prop
    Change active sim from 1 to 2
    And ss to dsds

Go next into optics. Go into wwd carrier , customer.xml scroll down and change esim from false to true
    Go into network.xml and add the same line csc feature ril support esim true.......

Change any other settings you wish to activate like real time net speed call recording etc...

Next find your carriers folder and copy the omc and any other files except customer.xml and network.xml , move those into wwd folder but rename the ones already in there or delete them which ever you want to do

Next. Rename the folder of your carrier to anything you want. Then rename the wwd folder to the name of your carrier. In my case I'm t-mobile. So the tmb I names to t1 and wwd to TMB.
    Go to prison and swap names of folders in same fashion

Go into where your modem firmware and in oem file change xxxxxxxxxx....la/ss....to xxxxxx./dsds/...

Then go into imei folder and set the carrier from xaa to whatever it you use

Thats quick and dirty of it.

Power off phone after you modify files. Insert sim card and power back on,

After it loads you should now have sim manager under connection settings, when you first boot it will ask you to search for mobile plan
    You have to go into root into your optics prism and what ever your service provider is rename that folder to anything. Then go into the wwd folder. It's,only xmls that are written in plain English. Change settings you need. Then rename the wwd folder to same name as your service provider so when it loads it loads the renamed wwd folder. The other option is to swap files from wwd to your carriers folder. This is easiest way to edit as it's all English.
    For 986u1 go to build.props change Sim count to 2, then multi Sim option from ss to dsds

Go to modem firmware, image modem hw,
    Copy same text as ss but change ss to dsds then link it to multi image mbn hw.bin

Reboot phone. You get pop up as soon as phone boots into os after you put in your pin asking if you want to search for your new mobile plan or scan qr code for it

I have tried thousands of different things. Brick phone. Lost radio. I just played and played with settings files folders etc...
    eSIM is CSC feature, In case it is disable then two possibilities to enable
    1.If device is non rooted - Try changing one of available CSC that have it enabled
    2.In case device is rooted you need a line to add/edit below line

Code:
    <CscFeature_RIL_SupportEsim>TRUE</CscFeature_RIL_SupportEsim>
    I cracked it. I got esim on my n9860

Whoot whoot
    i just put my phone stock and am going to do over and take notes and then post
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone