• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Essential Layout Whitelist Editor

Search This thread

tw1tch175

Dec 28, 2010
This is an app made by a reddit user to manage the ESSENTIAL_LAYOUT_WHITELIST setting.
You can use this app to only whitelist apps that you need, instead of whitelisting all apps.
Note that you will still need ADB to grant permission to this app:
adb shell pm grant in.tsdo.elw android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
You only need to do this once, then you can use the app normally.
This app only shows user apps. Please do give feedback if you find any system app that behaves differently than it was.
Google Play
Download(Github)
edit: credits to oracleicom

All credit for this app goes to /u/TsFreddie over on the /r/essential subreddit.

Last edited:

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
How'd you guys get ADB drivers to work. I can't locate any that'll work for some reason. Could be my current adb drivers are messing with it. It works fine for my LG and Samsung phones but my adb won't show the Essential phone...

tardis_42

Dec 9, 2014
Sony Xperia 1 III
How'd you guys get ADB drivers to work. I can't locate any that'll work for some reason. Could be my current adb drivers are messing with it. It works fine for my LG and Samsung phones but my adb won't show the Essential phone...
Assuming you're on Windows, reboot with driver signing disabled and force update drivers to the one Google distributes with the sdk.

Reactions: Dspeelj

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
I got some universal ones to work. However, now my issue is that the authorize PC pop up doesn't actually pop up when I connect. I've google and none of the solutions worked... I just want to swap out the app switcher and back buttons... :T

Last edited:

daverup

Apr 4, 2008

The older minimal adb packages won't work, and the failures look like driver issues.
Get the new adb and try again.

808phoneaddict

Dec 26, 2011
Deleted

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

this app worked perfectly! Love it when it's using the extra room! Thanks for the help!

vexx109

Feb 25, 2011
So, my question. Since I did the whitelist all (with the *) what's the remove command for that line? so that I can actually use this selective whitelist?

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
After you guys changed permissions, did you get the OTA update no problem? Did the hack stick or did you need to reapply the shell command?

bugsy

Jun 29, 2005
I did the mods via ADB and they have stuck after the upgrade, either that or Essential has added apps to their whitelist as part of this upgrade.

DROIDESP

Sep 21, 2010
San Diego
Thank you so much for this easy way to whitelist without having to wait for Essential!!

Curious what other apps you all have white-listed to full screen (I have only done Nova Prime) with good results...

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

I was wondering when will this get posted here since I can't post link.

But, just a heads up: the old package name got suspended by google. So the package name changed, and the ADB command should change correspondingly.
Code:

Thank you!

bugsy

Jun 29, 2005
I whitelisted Nova, Textra, calander and instapaper. Thinking of switching to the global whitelist, but haven't done that yet.

njgill05

Nov 5, 2007
This is so much nicer than fighting with the ADB permissions. I kept missing an app here or there editing it manually. Thank you brilliant lovely folks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an app made by a reddit user to manage the ESSENTIAL_LAYOUT_WHITELIST setting.
    You can use this app to only whitelist apps that you need, instead of whitelisting all apps.
    Note that you will still need ADB to grant permission to this app:
    You only need to do this once, then you can use the app normally.
    This app only shows user apps. Please do give feedback if you find any system app that behaves differently than it was.
    Google Play
    Download(Github)
    edit: credits to oracleicom

All credit for this app goes to /u/TsFreddie over on the /r/essential subreddit.
    I was wondering when will this get posted here since I can't post link.

But, just a heads up: the old package name got suspended by google. So the package name changed, and the ADB command should change correspondingly.
    Code:
    I seriously cannot believe what I am seeing. Essential just can't get out of their own way. I had the EP and returned it because of all of the stupid things Essential did with the phone and with the launch of the phone. One of those things was making a 5.7 inch screen seem like a 5.2 inch screen with the lost spaces at the top and bottom. I was so close to pulling the trigger on it again when it dropped in price and I read that the nav and status bar could be hidden with whitelist editor. To read that they have now crippled it is disappointing and stupid. I am so glad I did not order it. Like I said, they just keep tripping over themselves with stupid decisions. Too bad.

Calm down, they did it because now almost every app is full screen by default, no need to whitelist it. It is now up to the developers to use that space and not Essential. Also the whitelist app now is used to hide the nav bar.
    Personally, I think a whitelist would still be a better option. My replacement phone is on its way (bad microphone), so I've missed the switch from whitelist to post-whitelist Essential thus far, but I *know* there are going to be apps I have that won't fill the screen now. On the S8, Samsung has given the option to fill, and if it doesn't work properly, you can shrink it back down. Having that flexibility is a better solution to any potential issues than a function that app developers need to tap into, especially on such a niche device. We'll see in a few days if it's an issue as great as I think it may be, but regardless, taking flexibility *away* is seldom a good thing, in my opinion. Default to whitelisted and let us remove it, or have a button/spot on the screen to hit (like Samsung) to try it out... that seems better, to me.

I couldn't agree more. The iPhone X is going to have the same issue as our phone but Apple has also made the decision to force developers to accommodate for the new screen layout. The biggest difference though is Apple will sell tens of thousands of iPhone X models and Essential won't. To force developers to accommodate this special model is asking too much at this time.
    New essential update causes issues with notification popup. Doesn't expand fully when receiving

Systemui seems whitelisted, the notification is either their design choice or their mistake. Either way, this issue is not related to whitelist app. They removed manual whitelist settings in the latest build, the whitelist app now does nothing.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

The latest update of this app removed the whitelist. Does anyone know where the whitelist is stored? I had some apps set to full screen and now I want to make sure I can revert back.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Did some playing around and found settings database editor in the app store. Sure enough I can't get the whitelisted apps out now by doing a restore default from the layout app now. I think with this editor I can give the same permission and I can remove them. I'll try tomorrow.

You can revert all your settings follow the instruction here:
    https://github.com/TsFreddie/EssentialLayoutWhitelist/blob/master/README.md#reset-settings

However, there will not be any changes even if you revert your settings since they officially removed the manual whitelist setting. now the whitelist is always controlled by Essential.