• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Essential Phone lock-out after factory reset

Search This thread

Nekomancer.exe

Aug 27, 2019
Hello,

For context: My friend bought an essential phone a while back that her and her sister used for a while until supposedly an update released requiring them to sign into their google account. None of their credentials seemed to work and so they gave up on the phone all together and got new devices. My ancient LG G4 needs to be replaced and she offered me the phone if I could figure out how to get around the lock-out. At first I thought it'd be as simple as performing a factory reset or rooting the phone, etc.

Well, it turns out that they had already tried that. The lock-out persists even after a full factory reset was performed. I double-checked all of their credentials with them to make sure none of them worked. Nothing. Since I am locked out and the phone has been reset, installing rooting programs is much more difficult and I really don't know what options I have left. My only hunch at the moment is that there might be some way to use the shell on the fast loader to interface with the phone, but I doubt I'd have many permissions. I've scoured lots of forums and videos looking for new approaches, but many of them assume I have access to the phone and can install apps, etc. Does anyone have advice? Let me know if you need more info. Thank you!

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
Are you getting a message like "This Device was reset. To continue, sign in with a Google Account that was previously synced on this device"

If so, that is Factory Reset Protection (FRP). If the password on the Google account used on that phone was changed, it makes it even harder to solve.

I don't know if FRP can be bypassed on a PH-1. You could try searching for it.

Last edited:

Nekomancer.exe

Aug 27, 2019
Are you getting a message like "This Device was reset. To continue, sign in with a Google Account that was previously synced on this device"

If so, that is Factory Lockout Protection (FRP). If the password on the Google account used on that phone was changed, it makes it even harder to solve.

I don't know if FRP can be bypassed on a PH-1. You could try searching for it.

Yes, that is exactly the message I received. At least now I know what that security measure is called. That might help me on my search. Thanks!

jabashque

Feb 17, 2017
Yes, that is exactly the message I received. At least now I know what that security measure is called. That might help me on my search. Thanks!

I was able to bypass FRP on a used Essential Phone I got from eBay, which was running PPR1.180610.091 (August 2018 Pie release, the first one ever). Most instructions seem to involve using TalkBack or GBoard input settings to navigate to the online Help & Support activity, then searching for a help page that has a YouTube video to launch Chrome from there and download a replacement Google Account Manager and another app to force browser sign-in for Google accounts.

Hopefully, those hints will be enough to help figure out which instructions you find online are legitimate.

Reactions: IronRoo and ktmom

IronRoo

Aug 4, 2014
I was able to bypass FRP on a used Essential Phone I got from eBay, which was running PPR1.180610.091 (August 2018 Pie release, the first one ever). Most instructions seem to involve using TalkBack or GBoard input settings to navigate to the online Help & Support activity, then searching for a help page that has a YouTube video to launch Chrome from there and download a replacement Google Account Manager and another app to force browser sign-in for Google accounts.

Hopefully, those hints will be enough to help figure out which instructions you find online are legitimate.

Good to know that can work on Essential Pie, I thought it was a fake video the 1St time I saw someone doing that on some other phone!

Nekomancer.exe

Aug 27, 2019

I appreciate your advice, but I've seen that one before and it no longer works with my release. The video never loads in, can't actually be clicked on to open. I'd need a more modern approach unfortunately.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.