Staff member
Feb 20, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi 4a
Nokia 6.1 Plus (Nokia X6)
fetchimage

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
@mario0318 @IronTechmonkey Somebody put me out of my misery: Is the Attenborough quote a gag?

I don’t think it is a fully accurate quote. The writing style is very similar to that used in Attenborough’s nature documentaries, in fact the format and grammar is formulaic in its similarity and the first and last sentences seem real, but even though Attenborough can sometimes be abstract or poetic (and or sexist) especially in descriptions of domestic or mating behavior, the middle two sentences go beyond rational science, and are more flowery than even Sir A. tends to get, and I cannot find any reference to unique strings of text from the "quote" on line. So, IMO not an accurate quote. I’d be interested in seeing proof of its validity or hearing why such an imaginative fiction was written. Meanwhile here’s a genuine and verifiable quote, which has long been one of my favorites, about a small herd of female Wild Asses encountering a male Wild Ass at a watering hole.

Female Asses are mysterious creatures. They come and go as they please, and much of their behavior seems unfathomable to an outsider.” D. Attenborough.

Reactions: J.Michael

Top Liked Posts