Ethernet vs AC WiFi

Search This thread

russiandivxclub

Feb 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hi guys I have a quick question. What do you think about Ethernet vs WiFi in terms of performance of internet.
Obviously Ethernet is better and solid option but can I go with WiFi and expect 100% of Game Streaming, 4K streaming etc. Shield is AC compatible I picked up Linksys 1900AC today for OpenWRT and well ...this guy. And thinking right now if I should run a wire (Router will be in a separate room from Shield) or stick with WiFi.
My internet is 50 by 25 and because right now I do not have AC router I am using N router and I am getting around 15Mbps (out of 50) when using phone standing in same place where my Shield will be.
Thinking 1900AC will give me better speeds will I be able to do whatever I want ?
I know it's a tough say because unless you try you will not know but in general what is your experience with Shield ? Ethernet or WiFi ?

P.S.

I have this HUUUUGE movie library on PC and I would love to access it with Shield. I am not sure yet on what I'll use as streaming server. I really hope I can use my new 1900AC router with some sort of Streaming server on OpenWRT platform so I don't have to turn on my main computer every time I want to watch something from my library. I mean there is KODI but let's say I want my own BluRay rips ... what is best method right now for Streaming such videos ? (most rips are in MKV)

HansWursT619

Jan 11, 2011
A wired connection is always superior. If you have the option to run a cable, do it.

That doesn't mean you can't be happy with ac wifi. With good conditions it's totally fine for streaming.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Reactions: NiHaoMike

xd4d3v

Jun 18, 2009
my experience with wifi has always been bad (maybe because i live in a block of units with lots of routers around)
I don't trust it for anything as intensive as streaming.

pmerritt

Dec 17, 2007
I have no issues whatsoever besides an occasional microstutter when streaming games. I need to explain that i have a pretty optimal setup though. smaller home, centrally placed router, and 110mbps internet.

cookiehead2

Apr 30, 2014
Georgia
Using 802.11AC will probably help. I have my router in another room in my apartment, and there's a lot of 2.4GHz wifi traffic, but 5GHz is a lot more sparse. For 5GHz, I've found that line of sight isn't as important as an unobstructed path. For example, there's already a wall between the router and my TV setup, but if I close the door between the rooms, the signal drops by 5dB.

NiHaoMike

May 6, 2012
Austin, TX
I have Devolo homeplugs in my house, but I got terrible results with the Shield TV. I had trouble using Geforce Now with really crappy performance.

I unplugged it and went to wifi when trying out an FTP program (you can't have both wifi and ethernet connected), and performance went way up with WIFI.
Try updating the firmware for the homeplugs. That can make quite a difference. If you're good with electronics, you can hack them to run over phone line and get nearly all of the advertised speed.

tonkemaskin

Oct 14, 2010
copenhagen
Try updating the firmware for the homeplugs. That can make quite a difference. If you're good with electronics, you can hack them to run over phone line and get nearly all of the advertised speed.

They are all updated. The managing program reports 200 Mbit connection between that one and the base that's connected to the router, so it should be plenty to pass my 100 megabit line along.

-chrizz-

Nov 22, 2015
Hi everybody,

does anybody know how to setup at the nvidia shield tv, that it is prefering 5 ghz wlan (AC)?
I have one SSID with bgn 2,4 ghz and ac with 5 ghz.. The Shield is always connecting to 2,4 ghz.

The Problem is then that i cant stream 4k uhd content with 2,4 ghz - with 5 ghz no problem...

Thanks!
chrizz

cookiehead2

Apr 30, 2014
Georgia
Hi everybody,

does anybody know how to setup at the nvidia shield tv, that it is prefering 5 ghz wlan (AC)?
I have one SSID with bgn 2,4 ghz and ac with 5 ghz.. The Shield is always connecting to 2,4 ghz.

The Problem is then that i cant stream 4k uhd content with 2,4 ghz - with 5 ghz no problem...

Thanks!
chrizz

The easiest way is to split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs into different names.

-chrizz-

Nov 22, 2015
Well i know that it will work when i use different ssids.
But i dont want to do that.. Because i want one SSID for all my devices to use up and downstairs..

Is there a way if i want to use only one SSID?! Thanks

jsox79

Jul 8, 2009
80211ac will run whatever you throw at it content wise. 50mbps is decent but tcp overhead will eat about 8mbps and then you have to split that between all devices on the network. To stream say uhd, that's not gonna cut it, even if it's hevc. But 720 and below should be fine.

Well i know that it will work when i use different ssids.
But i dont want to do that.. Because i want one SSID for all my devices to use up and downstairs..

Is there a way if i want to use only one SSID?! Thanks

Sideload this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dzitrone.wifi.five

Not sure if it will work on the Shield but I use it on my phone and it works fine, it briefly sets the wifi preference to 5GHz after a couple of minutes when connecting to the wifi and forces the devices to swap to 5GHz. I've had no issues with it.

I have both gigabit and ac wireless at home, and for streaming, I have not noticed any difference between the two. I still use wired anyway as I already have a gigabit switch to serve everything around the TV.

As for powerlines, they're only as good as your home electrical wiring. They offer better latency than wireless, but I found in poorly wired homes, they gave poor speeds.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A wired connection is always superior. If you have the option to run a cable, do it.

That doesn't mean you can't be happy with ac wifi. With good conditions it's totally fine for streaming.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk