European (specifically German) phone not getting any updates?

Search This thread

alextsil

Aug 30, 2018
Hi,

i bought the M31 from amazon.de in March 2020 and since then i haven't even received a single update.
The current security revision is at February 2020 which is just sad.

Anyone else witnessing the same issue?

EDIT: This issue occurs when the SIM inserted is from a country where the specific phone model is not supported by samsung (therefore they don't publish updates for that country.).

Screenshot_20201130-113140_Software update.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9636854

I had the same issue on 2 phones. Softwareinformation was AUT/DBT, AUT/DBT. Had to insert German SIM in first slot, do a full wipe data/cache and start setup from scratch. At begin there comes a message that SIM was changed and if to adopt the phone to this, confirm and check after first boot. My software information now is DBT/DBT, AUT/DBT and I get all updates.

PS: Someone suggested before doing this to remove the Google accounts and to clear cache/data of "Google-Dienste-Framework" (you find them in Apps when you select to show system apps). I have done it but do not know if it is really needed.

Good luck.

alextsil

Aug 30, 2018
Hi thanks a lot for you reply: It led me to do some research and i think the issue is that the phone is being used on another European country (CSC -> EUR) but the firware is German. On top of that, it seems that there is no available firmware for my CSC (EUR) (picture attached).

So it seems that the OTA updater is looking for a firmware with the "EUR" CSC code and can't find anything, right?

Is there a way to force the "active CSC" to be "DBT" so i can get the updates? Unfortunately i can't easily get my hands on a German SIM card (i've ordered one off of ebay.de, i'll update this post once i get it).

1607039306000.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9636854

You are correct. In my case AUT stands for a Swiss SIM (open provider).

What you still could do is manually update using ODIN and the latest DBT firmware. But it would not change the CSC settings in your phone.

Once you have your SIM (or can even just borrow a SIM for that process) this is my proposal to change the CSC settings:

- insert German SIM in slot 1 and start phone
- sign out of Google accounts
- wipe memory in system app Google-Dienste-Framework
- factory reset and restart
- first thing, skipping all sign in to Google or anything, again wipe memory in system app Google-Dienste-Framework
- delete data and cache in recovery
- factory reset and restart and check CSC information
- if it changed to DBT/DBT for slot 1 you should get OTA updates from now on

Important: whenever asked to accept changes because new SIM was detected then yes
Later, when you put your non German SIM in slot 1 and similar message appears - do not accept a modification

Reactions: alextsil

alextsil

Aug 30, 2018
Update for anyone having the same issue or my future self:
Finally my German SIM arrived and it all worked out. I am now receiving OTA updates.

Steps done:
- Inserted German SIM to slot 1
- Factory reset phone
- Phone booted up, skipped the setup procedure, only connected to wi-fi
- Checked for updates: They were finally found, installed and the phone rebooted
- Inserted my "regular" SIM into slot 2 and turned-off SIM 1 (from "SIM manager" in settings) since i don't want to use it.

So now, the phone's service provider SW version is DBT/DBT,EUR/DBT, and therefore should keep receiving updates from the German (DBT) region.

Special thanks to @xdausr11

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 9636854
    I had the same issue on 2 phones. Softwareinformation was AUT/DBT, AUT/DBT. Had to insert German SIM in first slot, do a full wipe data/cache and start setup from scratch. At begin there comes a message that SIM was changed and if to adopt the phone to this, confirm and check after first boot. My software information now is DBT/DBT, AUT/DBT and I get all updates.

PS: Someone suggested before doing this to remove the Google accounts and to clear cache/data of "Google-Dienste-Framework" (you find them in Apps when you select to show system apps). I have done it but do not know if it is really needed.

Good luck.
    D
    Deleted member 9636854
    You are correct. In my case AUT stands for a Swiss SIM (open provider).

What you still could do is manually update using ODIN and the latest DBT firmware. But it would not change the CSC settings in your phone.

Once you have your SIM (or can even just borrow a SIM for that process) this is my proposal to change the CSC settings:

- insert German SIM in slot 1 and start phone
    - sign out of Google accounts
    - wipe memory in system app Google-Dienste-Framework
    - factory reset and restart
    - first thing, skipping all sign in to Google or anything, again wipe memory in system app Google-Dienste-Framework
    - delete data and cache in recovery
    - factory reset and restart and check CSC information
    - if it changed to DBT/DBT for slot 1 you should get OTA updates from now on

Important: whenever asked to accept changes because new SIM was detected then yes
    Later, when you put your non German SIM in slot 1 and similar message appears - do not accept a modification
    Update for anyone having the same issue or my future self:
    Finally my German SIM arrived and it all worked out. I am now receiving OTA updates.

Steps done:
    - Inserted German SIM to slot 1
    - Factory reset phone
    - Phone booted up, skipped the setup procedure, only connected to wi-fi
    - Checked for updates: They were finally found, installed and the phone rebooted
    - Inserted my "regular" SIM into slot 2 and turned-off SIM 1 (from "SIM manager" in settings) since i don't want to use it.

So now, the phone's service provider SW version is DBT/DBT,EUR/DBT, and therefore should keep receiving updates from the German (DBT) region.

Special thanks to @xdausr11