General Even MKBHD Says He’s Done With the Pixel 6 Pro

Search This thread

prohibido_por_la_ley

Nov 21, 2011
Chicago
at the risk of putting a big ol fat bullseye on my back....

when I buy a phone, I dont sign up to be a 'public release version beta tester'(thank you for that, EA, with Anthem). I expect a product thats been tested, had those tests QC reviewed by professionals, and vetted fully by a select group(or groups..not all users are gonna use it for the same things) of individuals from the target audience.

clearly this has not happened with the P6P...and from the reviews I've been reading and watching, I'm VERY happy I did not pull the trigger on this when it released.

I have enough stress in my life without fighting a piece of tech I depend on for a connection to the outside world.
Guess you didn't read there previous posts. Every product has issues at launch and are fixed later on in an update. The P6/P is no different yet people are treating it like it is.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

when I buy a phone, I dont sign up to be a 'public release version beta tester'(thank you for that, EA, with Anthem). I expect a product thats been tested, had those tests QC reviewed by professionals, and vetted fully by a select group(or groups..not all users are gonna use it for the same things) of individuals from the target audience.

clearly this has not happened with the P6P...and from the reviews I've been reading and watching, I'm VERY happy I did not pull the trigger on this when it released.

I have enough stress in my life without fighting a piece of tech I depend on for a connection to the outside world.
You're a goner now🤣
I don't think it's that simple with Androids.
Apples run right out of the box more or less but are destined to never be greater.
Androids are very customizable. So you need to come up to speed to get the most out of them.

When I got my Note 10+ it wasn't near close to optimized out of the box. It was a hot running, bandwidth hungry battery hog. Some betaware stuff going on to be sure.
So I played with it... a lot.
Today it's hard to believe it's that same phone with the same firmware. My second N10+ was a snap to set up even though it's running on Q vs Pie. Almost no learning curve on the second one's setup because I now understand the methods behind (what first seemed to be) the madness.
There are usually workarounds for most Android issues. Or it's as simple as not enabling power management. I used settings, a package disabler and a firewall to bring it in line.

Shrinking violets who aren't willing to learn though probably should stick to Apples and die of boredom. A certain level of tech savvy is needed to use Androids effectively. Same goes with a set of wet stones for knife sharpening.
The only limit to the rewards is how deep down the rabbit hole you're willing to go with Androids.

That's not to say that some hardware and firmware releases aren't betaware. Lack of testing becomes painfully obvious when no work arounds can be found like with color shifting displays* for example. Perhaps they just didn't give a fk... if so the manufacturer deserves to be held accountable. Consequences.
And as always, buyer beware.

*a common problem with most of the variable rate displays. With some it's bad enough that it's an obvious defect, in others barely noticeable.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

johninsf

I like Marquees Brownlee. Good reviews, good success story. However, we all make our own buying decisions. I hate the new word/job title "Influencer" but he is with so many followers.

I have experienced connectivity issues but the January update resolved them. Bluetooth is weird now, while it was not before the latest update.

Maybe Google will send Mr. Brownlee a gift basket and 100gb of free storage (for 3 years) to smooth things over.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
@blackhawk unsure if Google is into banning. They actually offer "free" services to collect the disinformation bring spread + market data storage, and attorney services to those spreading it. 😆
Just joking (sort of) as he's on Twitter.
Either platform will ban you if you don't post the right (left) things. Zero trust in those two platforms as they are heavily and biasly censored now.
Lol, as trustworthy as wiki🤣

MArtyChubbs

When I buy the pixel line I usually wait to the Black Friday special deal before I purchase. In this case with the pixel bud 2A incentive I bought day one. You can't predict how things are going to go but looking back I wish her waited even longer. However, I can't lie. I would about the phone anyways for many of the reasons others have posted. Flexibility to do what I want by rooting, block ads and with Google's feature drops I don't know any better in those areas.

MArtyChubbs

Not the forum for this discussion .. but those businesses can do whatever they choose re: who uses their platform according to US law. Like it or not. We have the luxury in the US of finding whatever outlet of truth or lies we desire. Choose wisely, I say. :)
Yeah, but when they collude with other platforms to destroy any alternate platform i.g. Parlor. I don't think it's in the spirit of US law. However, you're right, this is the wrong forum for this...

Reactions: blackhawk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been a huge fan of the Pixel since the original XL. Dealing with this phone from day one has been a struggle. The voice dictation is terrible. The worst I've ever had on a pixel. Also the phone is my daily driver and sometimes I can't even work with this phone. Really holding out for an update to fix the phone so that I can love it, but I think I'm more patient than most. I feel like replying with a real world experience to every made by Google tweet, but I'm not out to jeopardize their business and I understand new tech takes a little while to achieve its full potential. But there needs to be some heads rolling at Google. There's been issues with every Google Pixel launch and this I think is the worst from my experience. I'm glad some others aren't experiencing what I'm going through. Lucky dogs 😁

I'm one of those lucky dogs, I guess :geek:

Side note: I don't pay much mind to reviewers such as MKBHD...I like to judge things for myself (y)
    I'll say the same thing I said in another thread...

The Pixel 6 is a new platform on new hardware. There are going to be teething issues. Expecting perfection isn't realistic. Google has been using Snapdragon SoC's since the Nexus 4, and this is their first foray using their own hardware. When Apple introduced the A7 in the iPhone 5S, they had the same problem - a lot of stability and feature issues.

Remember that OEMs have to make compromises in order to get everything they want into a reasonable package. Bigger battery means less space for the electronics, and heat becomes a bigger problem. Bigger display and more powerful processor means more battery drain. With handheld devices, weight and size are significant issues as well.

If you want stability, there are other OEMs to choose from that are sticking to established hardware - such as Samsung, using both Qualcomm and their own Exynos systems. The Pixel series has been pretty solid up to this point, so while the 6 and 6 Pro have certainly had a lot of issues, the next generation will be improved, as will the next after that, and so on.

When you buy a Pixel, it's for vanilla Android with the Google experience. Don't expect much more than that.
    The amount of people kissing his backside on Twitter saying thank you MKBHD we have an update thanks to you is laughable.
    Frankly even being "bug free", I'm sympathetic to people with problems. I've gotten to a place in life where I always have a fairly recent phone in a drawer somewhere. So if I end up with a phone that isn't performing right I can send it back without a second thought. I always have a comfortable fall back.

Then you have folks that have traded in their only working phone to get one that then doesn't play right it can be certainly a frustrating experience. Is this everyone's experience? Nope, never said it was. But we can't claim it doesn't happen.

I just don't get all the "that's weird, mine doesn't do that", it's not weird at all. It's always been that way. It's why there is a means to return and repair devices, sometimes people get a dud.

It's a fact of manufacturing, and when you don't invest enough as a cost saving
    measure then you raise the rate of failure. So the rate of failure means some won't fail. Some will fail. It's not some strange phenomenon.

So people having bugs and experience breaking problems isn't new. The rate at which it happens isn't a constant though but it can certainly be related to a business's investment into quality control. But good quality control costs money which lowers the bottom line.

Add on top of that the state of a12 and its own problems. I have no problem with someone wanting a smooth experience out of the box.

Someone choosing to wait for an update that may or may not fix something bothering your phone is a choice when you are in a return window. It's a choice that isn't really consumer friendly and puts us in a space where it makes more sense for a company to push phones to capitalize on a release window that's more profitable than releasing a device that works out the door. I need to sell you this phone before someone releases the next best thing.

Being mad at people for not being happy with something they spent their hard earned money on is what I don't get. If yours works. Good on you. Enjoy it. If yours doesn't work. I hope there is enough feedback through official channels to get them to pull their head out their arse. I have zero sympathy for a faceless company.

I have allegiance to my dollar.
    I'm one of those lucky dogs, I guess :geek:

Side note: I don't pay much mind to reviewers such as MKBHD...I like to judge things for myself (y)
    Who? Twitter? 🤣🤣🤣 I never go there, same as FB, Instagram etc.
    Purveyors of disinformation and censorship, at the best.

Really this is Google's doing and not singularly the P6 Pro itself; Android 12 is a huge part of the problem. Android 11 was no gem either.
    Following Apple's lead like a lost puppy was one of their biggest mistakes. Google Android degrades their market edge by doing so and ultimately fails their customers.
    A large part of Google's problem is that they are also control freaks. They want to push their cloud services at all costs even if it conflicts with the customer's best interests. They learned that from MS.
    Who needs another bloody iPhone knock off?