Everything About Anti Roll-back [Whyred]

Search This thread

Alice.Dee

Aug 22, 2016
I have a question plz ,,
I am on miui 10 beta " 8.8.16 " ,, If I flashed " PixelExperience_whyred-9.0-20180817-1919-OFFICIAL.zip " Via twrp recovery .
The question ,, It's safe or will brick my phone ?

PUSH!
That would be exactly my question, please can someone reply about that?

Thanks in advance

Ismail88

Jan 20, 2017
Dhaka
One of my friend's RN5 already updated to latest version but he didn't knew about ARB.
But now he wants to unlock phone and Root it then flash several roms.
Can he do it?

aetmgh

Nov 29, 2015
Hi All...
20 days ago I bought my phone and once I bought it I applied for unlocking permission and I got the permission but still didn't unlock, I'm planning to unlock and flash custom treble Android P , my scenario is once I find a fully stable custom Android 9 I will unlock and flash... In case I wanna go back to the fully stock phone (locked with the latest MIUI installed) Can I go as the following...
1- Wipe everything using TWRP
2- Flash LATEST stock fastboot rom of MIUI -preventing ARB blah- using XiaoMiFlash.exe with the option clean all and lock.

please advise if this safe or not...

Last edited:

MeDoOoS

Aug 20, 2013
Yes, you can with custom rom. Just dont go back to older MIUI version. See first page.

You meant that ,, I can install any AOSP ,, but when I back to miui ,, should flash last version or version that newer than last miui that I flashed before flash AOSP ?

taco9

Oct 13, 2013
You meant that ,, I can install any AOSP ,, but when I back to miui ,, should flash last version or version that newer than last miui that I flashed before flash AOSP ?
From first page:
3- Flashing Custom ROMs:
Flashing AOSP/LOS ROMs should be easy, flash twrp, wipe data & flash ROM
Flashing Miui based ROMs is a bit tricky, you have to make sure they didnt include bootloader inside the Zip, check for firmware-update inside Zip's before flashing or just ask other users

It depends on which version of MIUI. Some older versions dont have ARB, but if you flash new ones (9.5.19 and above or miui 10 betas), you will get ARB4, in which case you will be stuck with ARB4 and must be careful not to go back to earlier versions unless you flash MIUI without firmware (no bootloader) as mentioned above. I am a new RN5 owner with 9.5.19, so not experienced with older versions, some of which have ARB3, pls confirm with others.

simon3sce

Sep 17, 2017
Yes, you can with custom rom. Just dont go back to older MIUI version. See first page.

1: When I will to install the custom ROM, what should to wipe? ( I usually wipe all except Micro SD, it's that ok?) (Have any risk?)
2: Return to MIUI it's safe?, probably in the future when i will change my phone will try the MiFlash using the option "Clear all and lock" and install the newest stable ROM, should be this a problem with the ARB 4 ?
3: Can I install TWRP after install a custom ROM or this could brick my device (i'm very afraid of the ARB 4 ), or it's better lauch TWRP from the ADB comands always?
4: And the kast question: It's safe to install Magisk on MIUI? (Probably I will get only customs ROM, but i want to know that).

dlghowk

Aug 11, 2018
1: When I will to install the custom ROM, what should to wipe? ( I usually wipe all except Micro SD, it's that ok?) (Have any risk?)
2: Return to MIUI it's safe?, probably in the future when i will change my phone will try the MiFlash using the option "Clear all and lock" and install the newest stable ROM, should be this a problem with the ARB 4 ?
3: Can I install TWRP after install a custom ROM or this could brick my device (i'm very afraid of the ARB 4 ), or it's better lauch TWRP from the ADB comands always?
4: And the kast question: It's safe to install Magisk on MIUI? (Probably I will get only customs ROM, but i want to know that).

1. Normally the OP leaves the instructions to do anything, like the wipes, flash instructions, etc. But is very common to wipe only system, data, cache. Just follow the instructions.

2. Antirollback is going to react only if you are trying to flash older firmware. If you're anti 4 you can do: flash any anti 4 rom (or modified anti 3 roms without firmware) and upgrade to future anti 5 roms (Which would make your device anti 5 too)

3. Once you install TWRP you should boot it from the adb commands... Or just before it goes to MIUI try to open the recovery menu by pressing volume-up + power (It could be different). if you are going to keep MIUI you need to flash lazyflasher to keep TWRP permanently... or just install another rom while you are in TWRP.
TWRP or any other custom recovery doesn't include any kind of firmware update.

4. Well, being honest I don't know. I think is going to be fine but who knows.

Reactions: simon3sce

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta

Magisk on MIUI is totally fine. Been using it since bought the phone

Reactions: simon3sce

Alice.Dee

Aug 22, 2016
Thanks to all for answering my question before!
Now i've another last.. I am on mi-globe 8.8.16, give it any possibility that I can roll-back to an e.g. xiaomi.eu miui9 global stable? I've tried now all possible miui10 beta roms but I'm not satisfied with any of these, they all have still too many bugs for an daily driver!

Thanks

anas3a

Jun 5, 2018
Can I go from latest China beta to latest Global beta via mi flash? My current version is 8.8.16 and my bootloader is unlocked.

How can I check Anti RB version of my phone and a rom which I downloaded from official miui site?

Thanks.

amitroutray

Dec 31, 2011
Can I go from latest China beta to latest Global beta via mi flash? My current version is 8.8.16 and my bootloader is unlocked.

How can I check Anti RB version of my phone and a rom which I downloaded from official miui site?

Thanks.
You can flash farmware less miui ROMs which you can find here https://forum.xda-developers.c...note-5-pro-miui-roms-t3816343.

For check ARB version you have to type the command 'fastboot getvar anti'. Then you will be sure on how you should proceed.

Triggered from RN5pro

Last edited:
Reactions: anas3a

SunilSuni

Jul 5, 2017
Bengaluru
I have redmi note 5 ai,9.5.22,arb 4, china rom, can i flash global 9.6.3 of redmi note 5pro firmware.....please help me to change to global....

Yes you can flash it. But you have to use fastboot method to change China ROM to Global ROM

Download 9.6.3 fastboot ROM and flash it using MiFladh Tool
Just follow this en.miui.com/a-234.html

dlghowk

Aug 11, 2018
Reactions: daoducamay

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone

Xiaomi added Anti roll-back to latest Stable/Beta ROMs and many users bricked their phones because of it, i unlocked my bootloader yesterdays and started testing everything about Anti, and here is what i found so far:

As of right now, anything Beta 8.7.6 and above has it, and for Stable 9.5.19.0 and above, check Xiaomi announcement about it, in 2nd post you will find the last Miui builds without Anti Roll-back

• you can flash TWRP again
    • you can Root Anti ROMs with Magisk or Disable Encryption
    • you can switch from CN builds to Global builds or vise versa
    • you can switch between all anti 4 builds just fine, like from 8.7.12 to 9.5.19.0 or anything with anti 4
    • you can flash any AOSP/LOS based ROM
    • you can flash anti 4 fastboot ROMs
    • based on fastboot script we might get anti 5 in the future
    • how to bypass anti roll back lock in fastboot and flash/run anything

1- TWRP flashing method:

1. Boot Twrp or Redwolf using “fastboot boot XYZ.img”
    2. Copy img to device then flash Image file of XYZ.img again from recovery.
    3. Flash Lazyflasher Or Magisk
    4. Or you can just flash any AOSP/LOS based ROM
    5. or check #6 to unlock bootloader commands

2- Switching from CN Beta to Global Beta

1. Download Global Beta 8.7.12 Fastboot Here or Global Stable 9.5.19.0 Fastboot Here
    2. Make sure to backup your data first
    3. Run flash_all.bat to flash Global build and wipe everything
    4. Wait for system to boot up, and everything should be fine

3- Flashing Custom ROMs

• Flashing AOSP/LOS ROMs should be easy, flash twrp, wipe data & flash ROM
    • Flashing Miui based ROMs is a bit tricky, you have to make sure they didnt include bootloader inside the Zip, check for firmware-update inside Zip's before flashing or just ask other users

4- based on fastboot new script we might get anti 5 in the future, so dont keep flashing newer bootloader/modem unless ROM developer tell you to do so

here is how the new script works:

• it check for Anti vlaue
    • if Anti is smaller than 4, then it flashes normally, but your device will be anti 4 also
    • if Anti is 4, it flashes dummy to anti roll-back pass, then proceed to flash ROM, after flashing is done you will have the same Anti 4 vlaues
    • if Anit is bigger than 4, like 5 or something else, the script will abort and tell you to get Anti 4 ROM

5- Unlocking Fastboot:
    • This method let you flash twrp or run fastboot commands again
    • Download fastboot-unlock-anti-4-whyred from attachments or Drive
    • Flash from fastboot running this command
    • fastboot flash antirbpass dummy.img
    • Now flash twrp, run any fastboot command

arb-pass.png

you have to flash dummy/unlock every time you go into fastboot, or ARB will block your commands

ill keep this thread updated, make sure to follow up with updates
    The Last builds without Anti Roll-back

The last builds without anti roll-back

Recovery/TWRP builds

Stable is Miui 9 9.5.17.0

Beta is Miui 10 8.7.5

Fastboot Builds

Stable is Miui 9 9.5.17.0

Beta is Miui 10 8.7.5

and this just in case
    I am on 9.5.13 Global stable but I cannot figure out how to install 8.7.5 from it...

Wipe Data & Flash it with TWRP, it doesnt have ARB

That is annoying that we can't flash older MIUI versions with Mi Flash, does it only apply to more recent version?

Does NON-HLOS.bin also contain bootloader files, which would mean we can not update the modem without triggering ARP?

I didnt test myself, but some said they were not able to flash older anti 4 builds

And NON-HLOS.bin is modem doesnt affect anything ARB related, anti 3 users already flashed it and stayed anti 3

My friend as I said in the other thread:
    I'm on China Stable 9.5.21 and I wanna flash Global Stable + root, but I don't know how to flash twrp too.
    My bootloader will be unlocked in 4 hours. Little help? ?

Flash Miui Global Stable 9.5.17.0 with fastboot, just use flashall.bat, but backup your data first because it will wipe

i am talking about downgrade miui.
    fastboot and edl are diffrent right? so can we flash full rom(with firmware and all stuff) via edl may brick phone?
    i was thinking may be this will gonna work i had locked bootloader on RN3 so i was unable to flash rom(miui) then i do same with edl and it work (it takes more time then fastboot to flash rom),i didn't try that with ARB it's just a thinking may b work or not don't know.

Even Flashing with EDL could brick it, Xioami already found a way to block edl flashing without permission , so i wouldn't recommend doing it

in the OP about flashing custom roms instruction. On #3

Just a normal WIPE, no need to format your internal storage

I'm on 10.8.7.12 I tried to install 9.5.19 via updater, but it said can't update from unofficial rom. What to do to go to stable rom instead of the long term 10 beta?

9.5.19.0 should be fine, try to download again and flash, you might downloaded edited build

There is something I don't get...
    Is it necessary to unlock Fastboot with the script no matter which ARB version is installed?
    I thought unlocking the bootloader is sufficient to be able to install TWPR via Fastboot?!

This dummy.img was added in latest MIUI fastboot ROMs to Enable fastboot commands on anti 4, then the flashing script start

and No its not at this point, because Xiaomi blocked most commands :\

Great, I didnt look that automatic updates are enabled by default. After nights charging Im now anti 4. Remember to disable them if you dont want them. Luckily all I want is TWRP+custom ROM, so its not that bad... Unlock timer isnt affected.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah its safe, because both builds are anti 4

I'm currently on Global Beta MIUI 10 8.7.17 build. I want to switch to Global Stable. Since my ROM is with anti roll back I want to be sure if flashing global stable MIUI 9 9.5.19 using flashall.bat will not brick my phone.

And if any advices regarding switching to stable would be highly appreciated.

Hello there... I own a Redmi Note 5 Global (Pro in India), I was wondering: Is it safe to downgrade from MIUI 10 8.7.12 Global Beta to MIUI 9.5.19.0 Global Stable through the Updater App? My bootloader is locked... I have downloaded MIUI 9 zip from Xiaomi's website.

from anti 4 to anti 4 is safe

I'm on miuipro 8.7.5 And I want to go on masik miui. 8.7.19 Do I need this before changing the rom?
    Does it only apply miuipro?
    I'm afraid of a brick

Use latest Masik, they removed BL files from it

Can you still touch the vendor partition (flashing treble roms, GSIs etc...) with anti 4 triggered?

Yes

@AL_IRAQI Is someone using your antirbpass dummy.img tool in this toolkit without crediting your work.

[Tools, Tips & Tutorials] FALSHER TOOLKIT TWRP & UNLOCK ANTI ROLLBACK REDMI NOTE 5/PRO (WHYRED)

From what I can make out, it is just a tool to flash TWRP.

Hi, this file was uploaded by Xioami in latest fastboot ROMs, so its okay to use it

I'm asking about Redmi 5 Plus aka Indian Redmi Note 5
    Sarfaraz Habib:
    I've checked on Redmi 5 Plus MIUI 10 Beta 8.7.19 is Anti: results blank & want to ROLLBACK to MIUI 9 Stable 9.6.2 didn't checked for Anti Results.
    Is it possible to rollback
    Please answer
    Vince doesnt have anti roll back

Stupid question:
    I updated to last version (because I'm dumb) and got the anti rollback.

I managed to installe TWRP recovery with the dummy.img method.

Now, if I install, let's say, Lineage OS, I will get rid of the antirollback? or is permanently installed on the device with no way of removing it?

You can remove ARB at all, just stick to newer miui builds or AOSP/LOS builds

hi! i just want a confirmation since i'm really afraid of bricking my device. My Miui version is 9.5.19.0, i can still unlock the bootloader and root it right??

Yes

Hi i am on miui 9.5.17 also unlocked boatloader and have anti roll back-3, So i can flash TWRP via PC by Fastboot method or i need to follow other method can anyone guide me on flashing recovery...?

Just flash it normally, anti 3 ROMs doesnt need extra steps

So just to clearify if I understood the first post: When I flash your unlock image in fastboot, I can install TWRP with no restrictions and flash every custom ROM I want?

Yes, just make sure not to flash older bl/fw

just updated to CN rom 9.5.22, can i downgrade to global rom 9.5.19?

Yes, both ROMs are anti 4

I'm trying to flash the same fastboot rom (8.7.12) I was on before but mi flashtool says "anti rollback check fail". any solution?

what is your current miui veriosn ?

Can i install china rom on my redmi note 5 pro

Yes, but check your anti first

is Anti roll-back (ARB / ARP) in here means Quallcomm Qfuse?
    if true there is no downgrade from bigger version
    cos the qfuse all ready tripped every time ARB going up (on LG G4 is like there 3 step Qfuse, or 2)
    and no fix for this, the qfuse is on the processor (i think)
    i want to try this phone but ARB is scare me .... ( im just killed my LG G4 couple times, only motherboard change can fix this)

we dont really know, because edl flashing worked after taking edl permissions from Xiaomi

Can I install xiaomi eu 8.7 latest from global 9.5.17 with twrp? Arb i change to 4 or 3?

I think EU team removed Bootloader from their latest ROMs, you can ask them before flashing

Can I flash Global Stable 9.5.19.0 from China Stable 9.5.22.0 on my Redmi Note 5 AI, Have it any Anti Rollback Issue/Does this make hard brick??

You can, because both builds are anti 4, try to flash 9.5.19 fastboot images
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone