• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Evo 3D Blue LED swap

Search This thread

M37R01D

Apr 20, 2008
Hi all.
Im back again to show off my LED swap for the Evo 3D along with some comparison pics of the Evo 4G and Hero LED swap.

I changed not only the bottom LEDs but also the charge LEDs to blue/white

The Evo 4G wasn's as nice as the 3D as the LEDs didn't shine through as nicely but here are some pics for you to check out
cimg2992m.jpg

cimg2993.jpg

and here are my old phones for comparison

cimg2948small.jpg

jayharper08

Retired Senior Moderator - The Troll Whisperer
Jan 7, 2008
The Dirty
That is nice! Awesome work. +1 on the how to please :)

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

felacio

Apr 16, 2007
Fayetteville
www.idle-handz.com
Yougot some BALLS, son. Awesome. I don't think I have the nerve to void this things warranty lol

....and I'm a man who likes to void his warranties!

Kudos!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

M37R01D

Apr 20, 2008
Thank you all,

yea most my friends dont know why i open stuff the second i get them to tweak them out. lol

as for a tutorial its pretty strait forward take the phone apart, and their are 2 boards with LEDs, on them the top and bottom.
unsolder the old LEDs and solder in the new ones

their is a video on youtube i just found if you cant take apart the phone,even though its pretty simple, 6 screws, pop the case apart and another 2 on the inside holding down the top board with the camera. you also have to take out some ribbon cables and such to remove the motherboard of the Evo.

If you are not familiar with soldering SMD components then i do not suggest this is for you.
the top board is actually a flex board which you can damage pretty easily.

On the flex board is a single bi-color LED in which i just swapped out for 2 single color LEDs

Reactions: nebenezer

nebenezer

Dec 2, 2009
M37R01D, great post! Thank you.

The mod looks great but soldering on that scale is still a little intimidating, to me :p

I found a great video on soldering surface-mount devices:

M37R01D

Apr 20, 2008
The first part of that video with the 0603 size resistor they solder is the same size as the LEDs needed for this.
But look more on desoldering as that part is a bit harder and their is more risk screwing up the solder pads then the actual installation of the LEDs

Reactions: nebenezer

phatmanxxl

Dec 30, 2008
LG V20
Nokia Lumia 520
I did that with my old blackberry curve, I colored the LEDs red with a Sharpie to match the housing, so I had red back lighting on the keyboard. This looks way cool, but warranty is now void right?

I'd pick red or amber to its not as bright.

Aug 5, 2010
Thank you all,

yea most my friends dont know why i open stuff the second i get them to tweak them out. lol

as for a tutorial its pretty strait forward take the phone apart, and their are 2 boards with LEDs, on them the top and bottom.

their is a video on youtube i just found if you cant take apart the phone,even though its pretty simple, 6 screws, pop the case apart and another 2 on the inside holding down the top board with the camera. you also have to take out some ribbon cables and such to remove the motherboard of the Evo.

If you are not familiar with soldering SMD components then i do not suggest this is for you.

On the flex board is a single bi-color LED in which i just swapped out for 2 single color LEDs

Damn.....I'll just paint mine lol

I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet

Ruki_Uki

May 7, 2010
Springfield
I did that with my old blackberry curve, I colored the LEDs red with a Sharpie to match the housing, so I had red back lighting on the keyboard. This looks way cool, but warranty is now void right?

I'd pick red or amber to its not as bright.

Lmao that's what I did with mine! Put some tape over the light and colord the tape :)

Sent in 3D fashion

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all.
    Im back again to show off my LED swap for the Evo 3D along with some comparison pics of the Evo 4G and Hero LED swap.

I changed not only the bottom LEDs but also the charge LEDs to blue/white

The Evo 4G wasn's as nice as the 3D as the LEDs didn't shine through as nicely but here are some pics for you to check out
    cimg2992m.jpg

cimg2993.jpg

and here are my old phones for comparison

cimg2948small.jpg
    Thank you all,

The first part of that video with the 0603 size resistor they solder is the same size as the LEDs needed for this.
    But look more on desoldering as that part is a bit harder and their is more risk screwing up the solder pads then the actual installation of the LEDs