Search This thread

rdboyce

Jul 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
So from a one person to another, I can't believe I read this entire thread. I feel like my IQ dropped 10 points reading people defend Win-Mo.

Its very simple. Win-mo is dead. I've had the opportunity to play with some Win-mo 7 on decent hardware for my company. Its crap just like win-mo.

The truth is everyone tends to favor what they have. I left Win-mo for iPhone . The left my iPhone for the Evo. Guess what?!? I love my Evo like I loved my iPhone and my various Win-mos(ok TBT, I hated all of my old win-mo phones except my HTC Prophet).

If you want to wax poetic about your superior Win-mo OS great. Enjoy it. I'm glad you have a tool that works for you. But Android has one thing that Win-Mo never had; the real ability to scale outside of a specific market of users.

iPhone and Android has brought new smartphone users into the fold; smartphone users that are learning the full power of there new tools and out pacing the Win-mo learning curve in leaps and bounds.

The next time you say OSa can't do what OSb can, take the time to know what you are saying before you put fingers to keys.

Don't speak unless you can improve the silence.

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
All your claims...mean nothing.... Prove it. Also any1 who shows any strong feelings over this thread.... Find something more important to be passionate about.

I have no doubt it can be done.... Android will be great. But I'm talking the present.

Like I said I love the EVO....but for now.....it is not ready. Apple and Android has only made smartphones more simple...period. Don't give them more credit than they are due. Ooooh you rooted the phone..okay. But the question is what did YOU actually do with your WinMo? Cause sure isn't what I do if you believe that. Also your phone is rooted? B4 the OTA update or after? Your IQ? Hah, if it was high enough you'd be able to see the point here. As for IQs, the new OSs have brought users with lower IQs. You are gonna have people with these phones that most will never use the features for. But from a marketing standpoint that is good business. True wisdom moves a person to speak non-offensive. I can post what I want. It is just crazy that people take offense to bad talking technology and software. What is that about? I could see if you were the creator then.....so chill out man. Besides, you still read it so.... you know this thread interests you.

But I'm all for it....If you can do a lot then share it. But don't come on here just talking about it. Prove it... So you really should post again and post useful stuff like where I am wrong and how you did it cause just saying I'm wrong is empty rhetoric. If you have stuff somewhere online then post links. If you can play AVI files with AC-3 audio and the Xvid encoding on your EVO then show people how u did it. Because this is THE purpose in all my postings...

Last edited:

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
So from a one person to another, I can't believe I read this entire thread. I feel like my IQ dropped 10 points reading people defend Win-Mo.

Its very simple. Win-mo is dead. I've had the opportunity to play with some Win-mo 7 on decent hardware for my company. Its crap just like win-mo.

The truth is everyone tends to favor what they have. I left Win-mo for iPhone . The left my iPhone for the Evo. Guess what?!? I love my Evo like I loved my iPhone and my various Win-mos(ok TBT, I hated all of my old win-mo phones except my HTC Prophet).

If you want to wax poetic about your superior Win-mo OS great. Enjoy it. I'm glad you have a tool that works for you. But Android has one thing that Win-Mo never had; the real ability to scale outside of a specific market of users.

iPhone and Android has brought new smartphone users into the fold; smartphone users that are learning the full power of there new tools and out pacing the Win-mo learning curve in leaps and bounds.

The next time you say OSa can't do what OSb can, take the time to know what you are saying before you put fingers to keys.

Don't speak unless you can improve the silence.

Oh and I have WInMo 7 too and it is just too early to make comments on it...

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
Oh may I add?..... Lets see:

How is it I can play videos at a higher framerate on say a Hero phone than the lovely EVO 4G? This is what I am talking about. HTC, Google, Apple, can make the stuff but it is the community that makes it better. Now the iphone 4 is coming out with its "retina display"? Duh, sounds like Apple trying to make another WiFi technology and calling it Airport or Sony taking a firewire port and calling it ilink.

Come on people. Never have too much faith in a software OS or a phone. You think you are bad cause you have the dum! dum! dum! EVO 4G? A copy is already coming to verizon....Droid X. If it is truth. We have 1.3 1.5Ghz processors...oh! look!......dual core....for a phone....wow. I think my money would be more well spent on these phones.

EVO 4G is only the beginning so stop sounding like Apple people that walk around with 2 boards on the left and right side of their face. Lose some of your EVO greatness feeling and lets see who can put WinMo on an EVO because this regardless of WinMo's reliability would be the Tour De Force of the moment.

rdboyce

Jul 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Oh may I add?..... Lets see:

How is it I can play videos at a higher framerate on say a Hero phone than the lovely EVO 4G? This is what I am talking about. HTC, Google, Apple, can make the stuff but it is the community that makes it better. Now the iphone 4 is coming out with its "retina display"? Duh, sounds like Apple trying to make another WiFi technology and calling it Airport or Sony taking a firewire port and calling it ilink.

Come on people. Never have too much faith in a software OS or a phone. You think you are bad cause you have the dum! dum! dum! EVO 4G? A copy is already coming to verizon....Droid X. If it is truth. We have 1.3 1.5Ghz processors...oh! look!......dual core....for a phone....wow. I think my money would be more well spent on these phones.

EVO 4G is only the beginning so stop sounding like Apple people that walk around with 2 boards on the left and right side of their face. Lose some of your EVO greatness feeling and lets see who can put WinMo on an EVO because this regardless of WinMo's reliability would be the Tour De Force of the moment.

Wow man. SMH... Three posts and you found a Lao Tzu quote. Two words; less caffeine. If you really want it done so badly, get off the boards and port it yourself. Or you can try YXPlayer. I frankly haven't tried it myself because all my stuff is h.264.

chart

If you have tried it and it didn't work for you; I tried to be helpful. I realize that you may have taken a lot a flame for this thread but dude chill. Everyone one has a right to his or her opinion. You included. But know that when you express your opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.

You grow up, suck it up and flame off. Your other option is this tit for tat, 'yes I'm a FanBoy and YOU'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG TOO WAAAAA' thing you have been doing versus engaging is a conducive discourse.

I'm already sure you are 'Flame On' already but dude chill. A better way to approach your same inquiry would have been to ask, what are the barriers to getting Windows Mobile ported to an EVO.

See how that starts a discussion.

exstatica

Dec 6, 2004
West Coast
ninja_unmatched, Lets break this down.

You're saying windows mobile is no different then Android.

First some History. I was a windows mobile user back in 2004 when the Blue Angel was released. From there I was hacking phones left and right. I get a new phone every year and I've had every upgrade of hardware that exists.

There is no smartphone (hardware wise) that is going to make winmo any better. Its bloated, it hangs, it doesn't implement bluetooth correctly, its well, old.

Now Android you say, you have to install all these applications to do anything. Thats the way it is with any phone. Oh just because winmo came with remote desktop makes it a better? I like my phones to come with very little installed, and I'd like to install what I want.

So lets just break out some of the important things

Task Manager, Windows mobile doesn't have one, how do you switch between applications? oh you have to get an addon, with the evo 4g hold down the home key. Battery usage? The Android shows a clear detail of what is consuming battery. If you want something better then download one of the many free apps in the store.

Music Player, never mind the player on winmo, try playing an mp3 and then getting a phone call, or browse the web. It makes your phone crawl.....

Camera, hardware or not, just try to take a decent clear picture. If you ask anyone who has winmo how you take a picture this is the response. "Oh you launch the program, and you tell everyone to stay still for 10 seconds. When i snap the picture it may be delayed..... ok cheese... wait.... wait... wait ok got it."

the list goes on and on. Every issue you have with it, the stock winmo does not do. You're looking at winmo from a Cooked rom standpoint. Of course if you're running a cooked rom you're going to see fancy task managers, and cool video players, and a better performance.

Go look at the Android rom forums, you'll see the same thing.

For the future of Android? Its only going to get better, Do you release Android is a year and a half old? Windows mobile is what 10 years old? Android did what winmo couldn't do in 6 months.

I recommend you watch the Google IO presentation on Froyo, and see whats coming in the next few months. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a46hJYtsP-8

Look its this simple....

I came from a windows mobile background, I then switched to WebOS, and now with Android. Windows Mobile is dying, and if you think winmo 7 is going to be anything like the old winmo you have a lot to learn. Its not going to be anything like the old system, its going to be like what Apple and Google are doing with phones. Not to mention its not going to run any of the old windows applications. They are positioning themselves to become a new platform, with new revenue, a new app store, and the days of winmo warez is over.

Either you change the way you use a smartphone or the smart phone will force you too. Its up to you how fast you want to make that change. Either way... Its coming.

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
Finally people something useful... Oh and your camera comment. It is no different on the EVO 4G. The picture stabilization (on a phone) you are referring to doesn't exist yet. Like I said earlier my GF has the EVO and taking pictures and recording videos on it is no different.

Last edited:

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
Wow man. SMH... Three posts and you found a Lao Tzu quote. Two words; less caffeine. If you really want it done so badly, get off the boards and port it yourself. Or you can try YXPlayer. I frankly haven't tried it myself because all my stuff is h.264.

chart

If you have tried it and it didn't work for you; I tried to be helpful. I realize that you may have taken a lot a flame for this thread but dude chill. Everyone one has a right to his or her opinion. You included. But know that when you express your opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.

You grow up, suck it up and flame off. Your other option is this tit for tat, 'yes I'm a FanBoy and YOU'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG TOO WAAAAA' thing you have been doing versus engaging is a conducive discourse.

I'm already sure you are 'Flame On' already but dude chill. A better way to approach your same inquiry would have been to ask, what are the barriers to getting Windows Mobile ported to an EVO.

See how that starts a discussion.

Actually the thread has gone off course anyways. People somehow took the idea of WinMo on the EVO personal which I find very funny. I also find it funny that people still continue to omit my actual neutrality in the matter. Just look back on my posts. I'm quit sure there are solutions for Android like Logmein Ignition for Android whenever they go public with it. The the player you suggested seems okay I'll try it later. but like I said the Android Market has a lot. Only thing I will say is can Android get away from being too linux-like. Linux's look is always pretty much the same from Distro to Distro. The graphics always have an almost generic look (VESA graphics) even when you get 3d going. Kubuntu alters the KDE bar which improves it a lil but other aspects are still the same. I still like it though. Android's still has that linux look.

If I had not taken my chosen approach I doubt the thread would have as many posts as it does now. So the end of this approach has come since finally someone has been smart enough to see it.

Now back to the topic: Who cares to take on the trouble of porting WinMo to the EVO? HTC I know uses the same hardware a lot across different phones. (CDMA vs. GSM of course being different as far as the radio is concerned)

Oh and my LaoTzu quote I have been using on different sites like Sprintusers but never paid attention on XDA enough to notice I was not using it here.

Last edited:

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
ninja_unmatched, Lets break this down.

You're saying windows mobile is no different then Android.

First some History. I was a windows mobile user back in 2004 when the Blue Angel was released. From there I was hacking phones left and right. I get a new phone every year and I've had every upgrade of hardware that exists.

There is no smartphone (hardware wise) that is going to make winmo any better. Its bloated, it hangs, it doesn't implement bluetooth correctly, its well, old.

Now Android you say, you have to install all these applications to do anything. Thats the way it is with any phone. Oh just because winmo came with remote desktop makes it a better? I like my phones to come with very little installed, and I'd like to install what I want.

So lets just break out some of the important things

Task Manager, Windows mobile doesn't have one, how do you switch between applications? oh you have to get an addon, with the evo 4g hold down the home key. Battery usage? The Android shows a clear detail of what is consuming battery. If you want something better then download one of the many free apps in the store.

Music Player, never mind the player on winmo, try playing an mp3 and then getting a phone call, or browse the web. It makes your phone crawl.....

Camera, hardware or not, just try to take a decent clear picture. If you ask anyone who has winmo how you take a picture this is the response. "Oh you launch the program, and you tell everyone to stay still for 10 seconds. When i snap the picture it may be delayed..... ok cheese... wait.... wait... wait ok got it."

the list goes on and on. Every issue you have with it, the stock winmo does not do. You're looking at winmo from a Cooked rom standpoint. Of course if you're running a cooked rom you're going to see fancy task managers, and cool video players, and a better performance.

Go look at the Android rom forums, you'll see the same thing.

For the future of Android? Its only going to get better, Do you release Android is a year and a half old? Windows mobile is what 10 years old? Android did what winmo couldn't do in 6 months.

I recommend you watch the Google IO presentation on Froyo, and see whats coming in the next few months. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a46hJYtsP-8

Look its this simple....

I came from a windows mobile background, I then switched to WebOS, and now with Android. Windows Mobile is dying, and if you think winmo 7 is going to be anything like the old winmo you have a lot to learn. Its not going to be anything like the old system, its going to be like what Apple and Google are doing with phones. Not to mention its not going to run any of the old windows applications. They are positioning themselves to become a new platform, with new revenue, a new app store, and the days of winmo warez is over.

Either you change the way you use a smartphone or the smart phone will force you too. Its up to you how fast you want to make that change. Either way... Its coming.

Winmo 7?.......Too early to say. I know of all the restrictions they have placed on this new OS. If they keep that up then I will be moving eventually to Android but I see they will have to budge. I'm saying....no cut copy and paste because they feel most will not need it.

red man

Oct 31, 2008
I wish winmo would have worked out but I think its crap, I had the hd2 beautiful phone but it was winmo coveted with sense, I had winmo osx and now my first Android phone and I love it wish hd2 was Android love its hard buttons and back plate

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Look, this thread needs to die. It has gone so far askew.

To answer the OP's question: never going to happen. This is regardless of the relative merits of Windows Mobile or Android, or the fact that one may be better than the other or whatever. The problem is that Windows Mobile is closed source and the EVO 4G does actually have a lot of hardware that is significantly different from the HD2. Drivers for all this hardware would have to be rewritten and somehow hacked into a closed-source OS.

The scope of this task is so large that even if you could find a team that is motivated to do it, you won't be able to finish it by the time Windows Phone 7 is released. At that point, your work will become instantly obsolete. Not to mention that the EVO will be dated by then so any remaining will to port Windows onto it will drop to zero.

I think this about summarizes it (and I hope we can close out this thread, which is the fourth or fifth one on this topic):

75990.strip.gif

Last edited:

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
if u r so unhappy with android learn to program and make ur own winmo rom

Not unhappy about it yet I am optimistic about it but at same time I speak facts.

Now Froyo on the other hand has possibilities. Auto updating of apps...... Exchange support up to get this: the Global Catalog. Now that can make my life easier at work. Iphone cannot do that and ppl have to sync phone separately in a sense to backup contacts.

There are other features I saw have promise and I would use like the addons for the browser to say send links to the phone or actually send your map direction search to the freakin phone. Plus Google keeps it Open so who knows what will come out that will use this ability.

No 1 will really ever know my standpoint on the subject because I stay objective on the subject. Been in it too long to get hyped up by new stuff that ends up crashing like Amp'd mobile and Helio.

Jul 16, 2009
I feel like this thread certainly has merits on all sides but I feel like chimming in with 2 cents here.

WinMo on EVO will not happen, I completely agree with rdude that the development of that is just a bit too much for it to really be feasible. With that aside I don't see why you couldn't make an android rom closely resembling something you might find in a WinMo OS.

Another thing is that ninja, you see the potential in android but it's not quite here yet. Something I noticed when I moved from my HTC Touch Pro to my Evo is that WinMo was at 6.1 when i got it. All their piecemeal bullshit pissed me off. WinMo 6.5, 6.5.1, .2, .3, the list goes on. Rather than giving out little updates I was waiting for WinPhone7. I've seen some of the details and specs and must say they are quite impressive. But for the present I will stick with Android because I have not found something winmo does better for my own purposes.

If you look at the dev. cycles on android they have been releasing updates quite frequently and recently have discussed having about 2 update cycles a year. Another aspect of this is that the WinMo 6.5 updates all have some minor fixes but not all that much additional content compared to android. Froyo makes phones faster, adds flash support, wifi tethering (which I'm sure sprint will fight but should be easy enough to unlock), and several other features. I'm sure android will slow down as far as new features goes as dev cycles continue but for the time being android has been able to catch up to winmo in 3-4 years and arguably does more than winmo has done in its 10 years.

Just some thoughts, don't really care if you all agree or disagree cuz as it was pointed out we are all entitled to opinion but I figured I'd share mine.

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
I feel like this thread certainly has merits on all sides but I feel like chimming in with 2 cents here.

WinMo on EVO will not happen, I completely agree with rdude that the development of that is just a bit too much for it to really be feasible. With that aside I don't see why you couldn't make an android rom closely resembling something you might find in a WinMo OS.

Another thing is that ninja, you see the potential in android but it's not quite here yet. Something I noticed when I moved from my HTC Touch Pro to my Evo is that WinMo was at 6.1 when i got it. All their piecemeal bullshit pissed me off. WinMo 6.5, 6.5.1, .2, .3, the list goes on. Rather than giving out little updates I was waiting for WinPhone7. I've seen some of the details and specs and must say they are quite impressive. But for the present I will stick with Android because I have not found something winmo does better for my own purposes.

If you look at the dev. cycles on android they have been releasing updates quite frequently and recently have discussed having about 2 update cycles a year. Another aspect of this is that the WinMo 6.5 updates all have some minor fixes but not all that much additional content compared to android. Froyo makes phones faster, adds flash support, wifi tethering (which I'm sure sprint will fight but should be easy enough to unlock), and several other features. I'm sure android will slow down as far as new features goes as dev cycles continue but for the time being android has been able to catch up to winmo in 3-4 years and arguably does more than winmo has done in its 10 years.

Just some thoughts, don't really care if you all agree or disagree cuz as it was pointed out we are all entitled to opinion but I figured I'd share mine.

No comment there but you really cannot compare WinMo and Android in that sense. Different times... WinMo and earlier OSs have paved the way for Android. Mistakes have to be made in order to learn a new. Not that WinMo is a mistake but there has to be a start somewhere for something new to improve upon.

As for Android/linux....it is a pain in ass to code on. I like linux but too many non-standards. I like Open source but they need more standardization.....much like the internet needing a Standard Video format. (hint........ VP3....right?)

Last edited:

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
On a different note....

How about a 3G only EVO? I'll take that... I'm sorry yall but 4G makes no difference to me. When I am at home I'm at 1x more often and my phone drops calls a lot. My GF has the EVO and it is the same for her. When we at home have 2 use WiFi to do anything without waiting. The signal out here sucks. Trying to go on the internet here is the same. A lil less wait due to not having to wait as long for the processor. My GFs 4g stays turned off. No need 4g is not here but is "projected" to be here soon and even when the radio is on it serously kills the battery life. Froyo will not change this...may make it a lil better though.

The sprint coverage map here shows it as being Voice "Good" and 3G but tis not the case.....for years now and Sprint has never seen fit to improve it. I like Sprint but feels a lil like a kick in anus. I've tried music and video streaming and around here the network is good only for music streaming. Video streaming was only annoying..too much buffering. Even the audio would drop in the better area as you moved around town. there are like holes within the better coverage area... a lot of them actually. Anyone from Connecticut with Sprint should know. So in my area (I'm sure there are others.) the Explain The Fee concept would hold true and Sprint would be charging people for the phones hardware features, definitely not for 4G. I hope Sprint does come out with some solution such as this because it will only hurt them in the long run in areas such as this. Some type of explanation is needed as to the fee even though it is still cheaper then the competition (for now) because as new phones come out with the new hardware and not 4g (this is no doubt gonna happen.) are people gonna get charged the extra for having the new hardware too? We all know companies will do whatever they think they can get away with. (i.e. A.I.G.)

I want the phone for its hardware specs only minus 4g. I use GF's phone at times and I just can't stay attached to it for long because it still takes long regardless to surf and let facebook refresh its data. Hardware wise it moves, i like, but overall.....disappointed. Also I noticed how sensitive the screen is then I see articles noting a problem with the screen and a fix for it. Since seeing that I've been paying more attention to her phone (she doesn't really know what to look for. I'm saying she put 1 of those mirror screen protectors on it now when you look at it you can't see the phones true quality, colors all funny looking.) and the weather here changes like crazy. On those hot and humid days the phone gets real annoying to type on. Feels like you could touch it with a feather. I'm not that easy to please, son, especially since I know how 4g is supposed to perform. Not paying extra for something I won't get much of anyways.

Last edited:

akrod2as

Jun 11, 2010
Winmo 7?.......Too early to say. I know of all the restrictions they have placed on this new OS. If they keep that up then I will be moving eventually to Android but I see they will have to budge. I'm saying....no cut copy and paste because they feel most will not need it.

I like how you ignored EVERYTHING else that he had to say.

Jul 16, 2009
Different times... WinMo and earlier OSs have paved the way for Android. Mistakes have to be made in order to learn a new. Not that WinMo is a mistake but there has to be a start somewhere for something new to improve upon.

Thats really what I am talking about. WinMo started off great one of the first well made mobile OS's. But I feel that WinMo has been slacking off lately which kind of annoyed me.

Android definitely learned a lot from WinMo but right now I feel like they are making vast leaps in advancement (partly to catch up, partly because androids road map is likely quite different from WinMos) compared to the small baby steps of WinMo.

All that is likely to change with WinMo 7 and if I am wowed enough by the relaunch of Windows Marketplace along with some new features, then odds are that come upgrade time I will switch back. But for now I'm enjoying riding the android wave. Thats all. I feel like you have very valid points I'm just voicing why, while I agree in aspects I also disagree.