Evo LEDs Flashlight application found

Search This thread

phobos512

Mar 1, 2009
I like the adjustablility of LED Desire Light, but it's still not as bright as the "Flash" setting of FlashApp. The widget included with LED Light is super handy as well, so now I have three different flashlight apps installed. If only one of them could combine the features of all three...

LED Desire Light now has a widget as well (though it is just a light bulb with a transparent background vice a more widgety look like LED Light). The brightness is set by using the app (whichever setting you had in the app when last you used it, the widget will use that brightness).

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
I've been looking since yesterday, and I finally found an app that lets you use your dual LEDs on the back of your Evo to use it as a flashlight[like many apps on the market for Droids and Nexus Ones]

They're are two apps that we know work for sure:
LED Light [Includes Sense-like toggle Widget for quick on/off]

thorpe24 has found another App that allows you too adjust the brightness, but doesnt have a widget

Actually LED Desire Light most assuredly has a widget. I have it installed and it's what I use.

This is all going to be such a mess once Froyo rolls out with its standardized flashlight API instead of the manufacturer-specific ones that are in use now. I don't know why Google didn't consider this feature and standardize it earlier, it seems pretty obvious in retrospect.

supdawg

Dec 13, 2007
Nashville
Actually LED Desire Light most assuredly has a widget. I have it installed and it's what I use.

This is all going to be such a mess once Froyo rolls out with its standardized flashlight API instead of the manufacturer-specific ones that are in use now. I don't know why Google didn't consider this feature and standardize it earlier, it seems pretty obvious in retrospect.
It didnt used to have a widget. The widget is only on the newest version.

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
Ugh LED Desire light just isn't bright enough! My Nexus is so much brighter with NexusTorch! I need a way to make the brightness as bright as the flash in FlashApp...

I'm gunna talk to the dev, see how he controls the flash and I may write an app for it.

murdocthc

Mar 29, 2010
Unfortunately, this does not work with hacked kernels due to the current camera fails...can't wait for source to be released so we can get that working :)

Minjin

Nov 22, 2008
Ugh LED Desire light just isn't bright enough! My Nexus is so much brighter with NexusTorch! I need a way to make the brightness as bright as the flash in FlashApp...

I'm gunna talk to the dev, see how he controls the flash and I may write an app for it.
These LEDs are being way overdriven at it is. Why would you want to sacrifice even more of their lives for a very small increase in brightness? It takes an exponential increase in current to get a linear increase in brightness. And...our eyes can only perceive exponential increases in brightness. That means that you have to radically increase the current and hence decrease the LED's lifetime to get a noticeable increase in light output. You're probably thinking that the lifetime doesn't matter because you won't keep the phone that long. Well, that isn't how lifetime for LEDs work. When overdriven, their output over time continuously goes down. It's called lumen maintenance. While they may not fail before 1k-10k hours, they may be severely down in brightness in as early as a dozen hours. If you really need a bright light, I recommend something like this:

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=255

80 lumens at high and it'll disappear on your keychain. For reference, that's about as bright as a 3d Maglite.

I use the LED Desire nearly every night when I go to bed. But I only use it at the lowest level. If I'm out and about and need a light, that's what my keychain light is for as that's what it's made for and I'd rather not break the Evo stumbling around in the dark.

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
These LEDs are being way overdriven at it is. Why would you want to sacrifice even more of their lives for a very small increase in brightness? It takes an exponential increase in current to get a linear increase in brightness. And...our eyes can only perceive exponential increases in brightness. That means that you have to radically increase the current and hence decrease the LED's lifetime to get a noticeable increase in light output. You're probably thinking that the lifetime doesn't matter because you won't keep the phone that long. Well, that isn't how lifetime for LEDs work. When overdriven, their output over time continuously goes down. It's called lumen maintenance. While they may not fail before 1k-10k hours, they may be severely down in brightness in as early as a dozen hours. If you really need a bright light, I recommend something like this:

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=255

80 lumens at high and it'll disappear on your keychain. For reference, that's about as bright as a 3d Maglite.

I use the LED Desire nearly every night when I go to bed. But I only use it at the lowest level. If I'm out and about and need a light, that's what my keychain light is for as that's what it's made for and I'd rather not break the Evo stumbling around in the dark.

I understand that there may be risks, but I'm willing to take them. I used my Nexus light at full brightness for probably a dozen hours in the 4 months I had it, and I never noticed any decrease in brightness from its LED. It was really bright, and it worked perfectly when I needed it. I'm willing to risk that with my Evo too.

Project D

Jul 4, 2010
Bay City, CA
Hahaha, fantastic! I wasted a little under three days looking for flashlight apps (half-heartedly, admittedly) before finding both of these, and here you are with both in one post. I wish I'd found this forum sooner!