EX Kernel for Pixel 4/XL

Search This thread

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Does Aaron post updates anywhere? I get that the Pixel 4 isn't "officially" supported so I'm on the fence regarding proceeding with root and all if it doesn't look like I'll gain astronomy mode and HBM at the end of it all and retain face unlock. Thanks!
Best place to check is EXKM. When it is available, it will be there. That and check the "rom and kernel" section for a new post. FYI there are already a few good kernels updated for December with face unlock working just fine. I'm getting super-good active/idle drain using KiriSakura atm. Why not give one of them a shot while you are waiting? Cheers. :good:

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks, will keep an eye out there. I purchase EXKM but I believe astronomy mode will only work with his kernel so pretty much stuck as that is my greatest need.

Astronomy mode will work with every kernel that has KCAL/KLAPSE built in as far as I’m aware. It’s just a toggle in the app for specific KCAL settings, so the display emits mostly red light.

Reactions: CyberpodS2
ElementalX It is ready to download with December security patch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191220-233556.png
    Screenshot_20191220-233556.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 349

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
Why can't we get hbm to be on all the time? I have an eye issue, and need the extra brightness. Hbm always turns off after screen turns off.

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Why can't we get hbm to be on all the time? I have an eye issue, and need the extra brightness. Hbm always turns off after screen turns off.
I suggest you go to the dedicated EX Kernel thread under P3XL. Aaron (Dev) is frequently commenting there and answering questions because he started that thread. He has not started one for our phones yet. Answers you get there will apply to the 4XL too. It's probably related to power consumption. Battery life would absolutely nosedive were the screen to be in HBM all the time. Likely to also be a MTBF issue for the display.

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
I suggest you go to the dedicated EX Kernel thread under P3XL. Aaron (Dev) is frequently commenting there and answering questions because he started that thread. He has not started one for our phones yet. Answers you get there will apply to the 4XL too. It's probably related to power consumption. Battery life would absolutely nosedive were the screen to be in HBM all the time. Likely to also be a MTBF issue for the display.

I'm ok with less batt life. People are being dumb with complaining about batt life. Its just fine, and would lose 25% if it meant hbm all the time. MTBF??? Another non issue, I'm sure this screen will outlive the rest of the phone. Thanks, I will check over there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

so there is ElementalX Kernel for Pixel 4 now available.
    I noticed an updated ex Kernel Manager App and within the app you can download and flash the Kernel.
    Changelog says "Initial release".
    The website has not been updated yet.

I flashed the kernel this morning and it works pretty good.
    How is ElementalX running for you guys so far? Any stability issues?

Runs like a champion here for me.
    I'm not sure, I really can't tell a difference with any kernel lol

I can tell now, I've been using Franken for more than a week and suffered a lot of freezes and random reboots.
    Ex is much more stable (no problem at all) and battery life is far better! :good:
    ElementalX It is ready to download with December security patch.
    Huh. I just tried going from Kiri 2.3.0 to EX 1.02 from within EXKM and after the reboot went to a dead robot with "No command" screen. I'm guessing my slots did their thing because it booted up normal after a power reset. I'm tempted to try applying the update again but before I do, can anyone think of anything I might be doing wrong or why that happened?

spez: Forgot to mention I selected the custom install rather than express. Express worked fine, I suppose I can just use the app the make any customizations now.

The reason you went to stock recovery was due to the fact that you selected "custom install" rather than express. Custom install requires a custom recovery, which we don't have yet on the P4XL. Going forward, always select the express option :good: