• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Excellent Tempered Glass for Pixel 2 XL

Search This thread

Haz3

Jan 24, 2016
LG G7 ThinQ
OnePlus 6T
Question regarding WhiteStone Dome screen protectors, the loca glue.

After applied and set, is it easy to remove it?

Will it be pita to remove and might damage the screen?

If it can be removed, will the actual screen still good (no damage whatsoever)?

Those are my concerns with WhiteStone Dome, in case it needs to be replaced because of broken or whatnot.

Thanks.
I literally just watched a video about this!!! It appears it's as easy as lifting the screen from one corner under constant smooth pressure.In the video I watched it didn't even leave residue behind and stayed in one piece.... Here the link

Reactions: gogol

jnclocker

Mar 8, 2010
Worcester
I recently bought a Pixel 2 XL and spent some time on Amazon looking for a well reviewed tempered glass screen saver. Could not find one. So, decided to check with a company that I have used previously for all my phones- MIME Ghost GLass.
Thankfully they have one for the Pixel 2 XL!! It is slightly curved and provides excellent coverage. Excellent adhesive, no dot matrix, a completely quality product. Have always had excellent experience with Mime, very highly recommend.
Link: https://mime-usa.com/product/pixel-2-xl-ghost-glass-screen-protector/
Perfect. Have been looking for one. Even Google's is dot matrix but at least it works well.

chetj

Dec 3, 2012
I want to thank those 2-3 senior members who wrote and basically explained my experience of using the Mime Ghost Glass. Also, want to thank them for their kindness. It is a high quality product. So, it was not until after I posted the pictures that I realized that the dot matrix actually existed. As soon as i realized that it existed, I immediately wrote confirming it's existence.
Do not have much to say about the members who resorted to name calling and assuming the worst in people.
I still have the protector on my phone and still cannot tell the existence of the dot matrix. If you are interested in buying it, do not let the dot matrix deter you.
Thank you again.

Reactions: Hellonphones

Voicebox

Sep 5, 2010
I want to thank those 2-3 senior members who wrote and basically explained my experience of using the Mime Ghost Glass. Also, want to thank them for their kindness. It is a high quality product. So, it was not until after I posted the pictures that I realized that the dot matrix actually existed. As soon as i realized that it existed, I immediately wrote confirming it's existence.
Do not have much to say about the members who resorted to name calling and assuming the worst in people.
I still have the protector on my phone and still cannot tell the existence of the dot matrix. If you are interested in buying it, do not let the dot matrix deter you.
Thank you again.
It's good you're being reflective.

As someone who was late to the party but there on the first day, I think your 2nd post, #4 in the thread was the real problem. I thought you had cut and pasted the "Adheres to the whole screen" line from their website, since it was bold and set apart from what you wrote below.

After reading that post I clicked the link because that would be something new. After poking around there, I saw absolutely nothing on their website saying that, or anything similar, particularly in the product description. Again, I was expecting that exact line to be somewhere. So I came back to the thread (very skeptical at that point), and when I got to the pics, I saw the dot matrix right off the bat in the first picture. And I mean instantly. At that point I thought WTF? (By the way, those are great pictures.)

Then I clicked to the 2nd page and saw others had noticed the dot matrix. I would not have posted anything, since there are already similar protectors for half the price, and I was done. But I do understand why people reacted so strongly given how unequivocal your response was on a key factual issue. Also your first post says "no dot matrix", and not something like "I can't see any dot matrix". Anyway, I did think some posts were overboard.

jrbxx7

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 18, 2011
Thank you again.

It is also not full adhesive as u reported and has less adhesive than several others i have used. I highly recommend NOT purchasing for the ridiculous price vs quality.

Reactions: sportytony

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
It happens! Let's not be so hard on the guy I definitely was a genuine mistake! As for the better solutions right now I'd say amfilm and the Zagg are the best until the dome glass comes out.

praveenvj

Aug 26, 2008
How is the glass protector offered on Google Store?

I already spent money on a glass protector and it had all the issues listed .... adhesive only on ends, rainbow color, etc. Also it cracked on day 1 itself just by falling off the laptop table, (but luckily screen was protected... so i guess it did its job). Then the only other feasible option was the film protectors, but not too happy with the feel on the screen. Looking for a good screen protector. I thought the one sold by Google would be good, but there is no reviews and someone mentioned it is also with edge adhesive. So not sure how effective it will be.

No where on the Dome site is Pixel 2 XL listed. Is it sure it is getting launched soon and is it good? Amazon seems to have many with just 3* ratings.

an21281

How is the glass protector offered on Google Store?

I already spent money on a glass protector and it had all the issues listed .... adhesive only on ends, rainbow color, etc. Also it cracked on day 1 itself just by falling off the laptop table, (but luckily screen was protected... so i guess it did its job). Then the only other feasible option was the film protectors, but not too happy with the feel on the screen. Looking for a good screen protector. I thought the one sold by Google would be good, but there is no reviews and someone mentioned it is also with edge adhesive. So not sure how effective it will be.

No where on the Dome site is Pixel 2 XL listed. Is it sure it is getting launched soon and is it good? Amazon seems to have many with just 3* ratings.

Yes the Whitestone Dome was scheduled to be released 12/23. I think they sell though Amazon mostly.

Last edited:

praveenvj

Aug 26, 2008
It appears to have launched in Amazon as Dome Glass. Is this the same? I still don't see it on Whitestone site. Any reviews?
Also will I need a new case to use with this cover?

noranyan

Apr 21, 2011
MIME Screen Protector - my experience

I guess few people care about this MIME tempered glass screen protector but I feel I might as well share my experience with this product after a month or so of use and before I move on to the InvisShield.

Long-story-short verdict:
Great partially-adhesive glass protector plagued by pocket lint.

Good:

- Dummy-proof installation process
Easy as shown in the installation video on their website.
Love their anti-dust film (it's not just small strips of tape but the size of the whole screen. I think it should be included in every screen protector product)
Just place the film on the screen, tear it off, align and place the glass on the screen, let the glass "adhere" (I know it's not full adhesive) onto the screen by
itself, rub and push the air bubbles (which I didn't have) towards the edge and MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

- Smoothness and sensitive screen touch
Of course it doesn't feel like it isn't there but it feels smooth and pleasant to touch and no unregistered touch for a month of use.

- Fingerprint resistant
You can see your own fingerprint if your hands are greasy but for normal, not-so-dirty hands, you don't.
Instead of fingerprints it attracts something else...

So-so:

- Occasional rainbow effect
Occasionally I can see some weird colourful swirls in the middle of the screen and I guess that's what people call rainbow effect, but it disappears soon.
It didn't appear right after installation, but two weeks or so after that all out of a sudden.
I thought it was the humidity or temperature difference since I took my phone with me to bath, but the next time it appeared was at room temperature
and humidity so I assume that's not the direct cause of the rainbow effect.
But it should be noted that it went away in no time and I guess it's inevitable for partially-adhesive protectors.

- Dot matrix almost invisible except under bright sunlight
Another thing you have to stand for this kind of glass protectors is dot matrix.
Yes it's there, but well I can stand for it.

- The shape of the glass with the "horns" is not for everyone
Another personal preference. I'm fine with it.

What I hate - It's a pocket lint blackhole

This is what drove me nut and decided to get a LOCA protector.
As people mentioned for other glass protectors of similar types, the pocket lint eventually finds their ways into the edge of the glass filling the gaps all around your screen. (I am not sure if it has something to do with my case, Caseology Parallax, coz I have dust and lint stuck on the inside of the edges of the case too)
The surface of the glass also likes a share of the lint and I hate that sometimes I have to try to get rid of the mess when I pull my phone out of my pocket.

Whether I will get another one if my InvisShield fails?
I might as well try out amFilm, which is much cheaper and looks similar.
But I still think that this is a quality screen protector with one annoying but probably inevitable flaw.

Hope my two cents help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some pictures

Here are some pictures
    I get that the OP was just trying to help. I just feel if your going to review something on a public forum you better know the answers to the most basic of questions. Adhesive only on the edges and a dot matrix pattern are pretty basic things to miss. Some may have purchased this based on his review and will be really pis*ed when it arrives.

You guys that want full adhesive and a glass protector that will likely last longer than the phone, really need to wait for the WhiteStone Dome Glass. I have this on my Note 8 and you can't even tell it's here. It comes with a liquid glue called "Loca" as well as a UV light to cure it and a jig for the phone that makes it very east to install in a low dust area.

Below is a video I found on YouTube showing the application. I'm expecting Amazon will have the Pixel 2 XL version around the 15th according to WhiteStone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta9ydmenZr0
    Here are some pictures

Is it just me, or does those pictures show a dot matrix?
    I recently bought a Pixel 2 XL and spent some time on Amazon looking for a well reviewed tempered glass screen saver. Could not find one. So, decided to check with a company that I have used previously for all my phones- MIME Ghost GLass.
    Thankfully they have one for the Pixel 2 XL!! It is slightly curved and provides excellent coverage. Excellent adhesive, no dot matrix, a completely quality product. Have always had excellent experience with Mime, very highly recommend.
    Link: https://mime-usa.com/product/pixel-2-xl-ghost-glass-screen-protector/
    It's so amusing to see how fast people are to jump at others throats. I feel that he genuinely was trying to help and thought there was full adhesive. The higher quality glass protectors (Zagg as well) it's hard to spot the dot matrix unless it's under certain lighting conditions. I remember Mime from back in the day and they do have excellent feeling glass and excellent customer service.