Question Experience any bugs on the Vivo X80 Pro? Let's share and help each other!

Search This thread

tobias14

Feb 15, 2009
Koper
Vivo X80 Pro
BT streaming, will try today and report back.

Concerning notifications, try to enable these options as per attached screenshots (under notifications and under privacy as well). It works for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220724_074306.jpg
    Screenshot_20220724_074306.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20220724_074324.jpg
    Screenshot_20220724_074324.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20220724_074046.jpg
    Screenshot_20220724_074046.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20220724_074022.jpg
    Screenshot_20220724_074022.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49

ZarW

Jun 16, 2022
Battery drain over night tip: use the automatic turn off and on function for the phone - settings/shortcuts. Turn off time 24:00, turn on time 5:45. Your battery will say thank you.

Battery drain tip: close all your background applications to save energy.

Spotify and other music apps: turn off energy saving option and allow background usage - switching off your screen should then work while listening to music via BT.

Reactions: kurokokk

wimbawaya

Jun 20, 2016
Concerning notifications, try to enable these options as per attached screenshots (under notifications and under privacy as well). It works for me.
Thanks! 👍

Unfortunately, that didn't work. So I set them all to "no notifications", rebooted the phone, set them as they were before (the same as in your screenshots), rebooted and... Still nothing.

This might be more of an Android thing though, since it happened on my P30 Pro after factory resetting and updating to the latest EMUI. And persisted even after factory resetting again. So I'm thinking this is either an Android thing, or some glitch during the "restore data" process. I know it's preferable not to have Android restore data and settings but I use A LOT of apps and it's convenient for it to remember their settings so I don't have to tinker with them one by one. It's time consuming as hell and I have a lot of work lately...

Will keep searching, see what I can find...(hoping the solution isn't a factory reset). 🤞

Reactions: tobias14

wimbawaya

Jun 20, 2016
Battery drain over night tip: use the automatic turn off and on function for the phone - settings/shortcuts. Turn off time 24:00, turn on time 5:45. Your battery will say thank you.

Battery drain tip: close all your background applications to save energy.

Spotify and other music apps: turn off energy saving option and allow background usage - switching off your screen should then work while listening to music via BT.
Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately, the power on/off option isn't something I feel comfortable doing (same with airplane mode): I once missed an important call (family emergency) so now I disable data and wifi and leave it in Do not Disturb mode so that calls from favourite contacts come through.

Restricting Google Photos' background power usage has helped a lot though. Lately I've been getting progressively more SoT.

The day before yesterday I got 5h15m SoT (100% ↘️ 5%), and that was with 2h30m of Google Maps navigation.

Screenshot-2022-0724-121417.jpg

And yesterday, 5h30 SoT from 100 to 20%.

Screenshot-2022-0724-121609.jpg

About Spotify, it has unrestricted background power usage enabled so... Who knows.... Although I suspect it's more of a Bluetooth thing. I'll do some more testing and see what I can figure out

chilavert_gr

Mar 13, 2009
Athens
I'm trying to use battery guru without root. So I tried LADB to grand permissions, but I can't connect. Can someone help me with this?

Sorry for the off-topic

wimbawaya

Jun 20, 2016
I
I'm trying to use battery guru without root. So I tried LADB to grand permissions, but I can't connect. Can someone help me with this?

Sorry for the off-topic
Where did you get stuck? Have you activated developer options?

If so, when you plug your phone to your PC you should get a prompt on your phone asking you if you want to allow that device for debugging. In my case, it didn't pop up, I had to check my notifications (it was there, it just didn't pop up) and tap on it. Same goes for notifications for Bluetooth pairing, they don't appear in a pop-up. To avoid this happening in the future, long-tap on the notification, then on the "settings" icon on the top right corner of the notification box, the look for the option "Pop on screen" and enable it.

I hope this helps! If not, don't hesitate to ask!

MtiusыDR

Jul 25, 2022
It looks like I got a brick... When transmitting data through the vivo proprietary application, the smartphone froze and the screen went out. After that, he did not respond to any manipulations. Is there anything else you can do or just put it on the shelf? Chinese version, on OriginOS

Last edited:

tobias14

Feb 15, 2009
Koper
Vivo X80 Pro
Strange.. can see it if I search settings for 'trial' , but it is actually hidden under system update..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220726_202116.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726_202116.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20220726_202315.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726_202315.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 27

wimbawaya

Jun 20, 2016
Looks promising!

All of the things it (supposedly) addresses area things I've actually been having problems with: apps randomly crashing for no reason, Bluetooth connection losses...

They don't mention battery life though and lately I've noticed something a little alarming:

Screenshot-2022-0726-134216.jpg

Vivo services are causing that much background battery drain? Their power management is whack...

Screenshot-2022-0727-032756.jpg

What's concerning is that the main subprocesses involved are ambient sensor, accelerometer and proximity sensor which shouldn't be doing squat in the background because I have "raise to wake" and "tap screen to wake" disabled. 🤷‍♂️

And 3 & 1/2 background CPU usage since I last unplugged the phone from the charger? That sounds excessive to the point of the kind of fishy days collection other Chinese manufacturers have been involved in in the past. Either that, or the worst power management implementation I've ever seen on en Android phone...

My battery life seemed to be improving but it's gotten worse again the last two days. Last night battery level dropped by 8% with (wait for it...) ✈️ mode on, Bluetooth off and battery saver mode on. 8%!

Seeing the Vivo services background drain, I really think a lot of this could be addressed with software fixes... I really hope they get their $#!7 together because I'm this close to returning the damn thing. If it weren't for the AMAZING pics I definitely would have returned it already but...DAMN! 🤣

I think I'll opt for the "beta" versions and see how that pans out

Last edited:
Reactions: kurokokk

Derpling

May 10, 2015
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
Vivo X80 Pro
I use the GMS battery to monitor the battery usage, and at times it seems to indicate different finding than what vivo battery usage have.
I wonder why there is this discrepancy between those two, but i hope vivo can really resolve it.

So far testing the new update and i'll update soon.

Reactions: wimbawaya

vratnik

Sep 12, 2015
1. Today morning the notification ringtone changed itself to some long melody. It started playing something i didn't recognize, then I noticed the ringtone for notifications was set to something else.
2. Accessibility agents of apps are being disabled regularly. Apps are in "don't restrict power usage" under Battery-background something management.
3. There is another battery management of apps, under settings - apps - <app name> - battery - unrestricted which makes no effect so far. Unnecessary duplicate confusing menu.

Reactions: wimbawaya

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you using Origin OS? Could you post a screenshot of your settings if it wouldn't be too much a hassle? I have Funtouch OS 12 and there's no option to choose the refresh rate for each app and if you set it globally to 120 Hz, it drops to 60 Hz or less in most apps and even at 60 Hz the display feels slower and laggier than older phones.
    Of course. Here they are. Yes I have a Chinese model on Origin OS. The 60Hz isn't laggy, on mine at least.
    yeah, that's my experience as well
    really happy with phone, W10 variant
    120Hz works anywhere I want too (as you can see in youtube)
    seems like OriginOS is better optimized than Funtouch
    Have you notice poor graphic quality in android auto connected to a car? I have check today 3 phones (X80Pro, s21 ultra, zenfone 8) on 3 cars (ford Kuga, ford fiesta, vw arteon) and only on vivo i have graphic glitches (it looks like artifacts in JPG with very high compresion) and low resolution. I tried also developer settings in AA and force highest resolution but it doesnt help. I have also cleared all AA data in phone and nothing change. Can you check how it looks in your cars and compare to other (than x80 pro) phones?
    This latest update seems pretty good
    I can confirm that.. right now I'm @37% battery left with 5h 23m sot.. could easily got 6 or maybe 7 hour.. just using my phone casually (browsing/tiktok/youtube)
    I also get 6-7h sot with android 13.
    New trial update:

Screenshot_20220726_154822.jpg
    The phone would sometimes open the lock screen as if I touched it without actually touching it, waking the phone and canceling the deep sleep mode.

There are some annoying lags when switching between apps at times, it's probably due to bad LTPO3 implantation.

Battery is really the biggest issue here, it sometimes last 4.5hr before going to 25% battery, sometimes 5hr, it's very not consist despite that I use the phone the same way.
    Same bugs here. Overall, the UI feels like a rushed and unpolished effort. A good example is the duplicate power management options. If you go to an app's app info >> menu >> battery and choose "unrestricted", what you set there doesn't change the settings for that app in Settings >> Battery >> Background power consumption management. Which one applies?

Overall, the implementation is whack. For Facebook, I have background power usage restricted in both menus, yet last night, it took place number 4 in background battery usage, responsible for 4.5% of the phone's battery drain overnight. On the other side of the spectrum, there are certain apps that the system closes way too aggressively: if you switch to another app for 30" and go back, it's put it to sleep and when it reopens, you're back to the home screen, not the specific page/tab you were on. Sometimes this is extremely annoying.

There are apps that I don't use often, that would cause considerable background battery usage if left unchecked, so I have to keep them "restricted" (in both settings menus), then switch to "unrestricted" (in both places, which makes it doubly annoying) when I'm going to use them so they aren't killed by the system when I switch apps to quickly reply to a message, for example.

Or my banking app: It uses a lot of background CPU if left unchecked, . so I'd like to restrict it, but that kills all notifications (for transactions, which are important). I've tried "Smart control" but it seems like it switches between all or nothing: sometimes the system lets it do as it pleases, and it uses a ton of battery in the background, other times it completely kills it and I don't receive notifications at all. Not sure what kind of algorithms "Smart control" uses, but they aren't very smart...

Overall battery drain continues the same here. The max. I ever get, like you, is 4.5-5h SoT, and background battery drain is awful. Last night it dropped from 80% to 67% in flight mode and with battery saver on. Android system + Kernel amounted for 47% of all battery drain. 🤦‍♂️

Another small thing: Am I the only one who finds it annoying that in notifications, all app icons are all the same color (system accent color), instead of the colour the app's icon would usually be?

So far the X80 Pro is a great phone with big potential but buggy software and poor battery life, have to say i'm considering the ROG6 phone due to the battery mainly.

For me, it's a FANTASTIC camera and a very mediocre phone. Great specs, yes, but as a daily driver, not up to the task. Bad battery life, a CPU that might shine in intensive applications but is very power-hungry, an unpolished UI that's laggy (defeating the purpose of such a powerful CPU), unpolished and feels dated, bugs-galore...

Personally, I would not recommend this phone, especially at this price-point, and I won't be buying a Vivo again.

Now that Samsung's confirmed that the S23 series will be shipping with SD globally, and Qualcomm has confirmed that all their chips will be manufactured by TSMC (and no longer by Samsung), I think I might try my luck the the S23 Ultra come February. I've been staying clear of Samsung for years because of the terrible Exynos chips, but with these news, and after having experienced Funtouch OS and what a truly unpolished OS looks like, I think I'll switch. Maybe their camera still won't beat the X80Pro's, but to me a phone needs to be the whole package, and this phone falls short in way too many aspects. Ah, I wish the Huawei ban would come to an end... 😭

Another lesson learned: This is the last time I give reviews any credibility (neither Youtubers nor sites like GSM Arena, Tech Advisor, PC Mag, etc.). And if I do check out any reviews, I think it's important to focus on what they don't say, or what they only hint at subtly, and remember that reality is going to be a magnified version of that. "Average battery life" means "terrible battery life" and "a few slightly annoying bugs" means "a UI that makes you want to throw the phone out the window" 🤣
    Why run at 60hz when you can at 120hz? it's one of the best features of any flagship phone.
    Other than that, sounds good.

I did a bit of test today, i put youtube on an 1440p video for an hour and half with poweramp playing in the background, lost 7% with wifi.

That's not bad at all.
    have you tried?? i am getting a 9-10 hours SOT if i don't use the camera and 6-7 if i use the camera

Unfortunately, it limits too many background services I rely on the get my notifications. It would be nice if it offered the option to choose which apps we want to remain active in this mode...
    First week with my X80 pro I'm still on vacation so cannot really compare battery life now to my typing usage.
    With ambient temperatures around 32-35°C, average 20-30 photos and 2 videos per day, poor wifi and 4g, I'm getting around 5 hrs SOT. Overnight drop is 3-4% with wifi and data off.