Question Experience Performance of the vivo x80 pro and heating issues

Search This thread

ZarW

Jun 16, 2022
Wow, Thank you for your reply.

I am so glad to hear all these positive things about the phone.

However, I can't help but mention a review i was watching online where they used the camera on this phone for a while. Perhaps around 20+ minutes outdoors and it got super hot to the point where it was unable to perform.

Just wanted to see whether you've experienced anything like this using the camera?

Negative or Neutral experience (Origin OS, Dim9000 version):
1) Videocall with turned on selfie-cam (indoor) - phone gets really hot after 40min. I could not imagine having a videocall in the sun (>30°C) with turned on selfie-cam, the phone gets really hot.... See it positively -> this will be always an excuse to not share your background. :D
2) Using the speakers during the call: I noticed a worse quality than of my Oneplus 5 speakers - I'm not talking about the music but about the speaker when used during a phone call. Somewhere I read about the low codec?! My dad on the phone sounds like speaking under water or into a glass - switching to the earphones there was no problem anymore.
3) Miss the slider
4) Miss the LED light
5) Miss an e-sim function
6) Miss the audio jack

Surprisedly positive:
1) All for me necessary notifications are working
2) GPay is working
3) Getting used to the size/weight within 1 week
4) Battery Performance is better than expected
5) Set-up of the phone with support from XDA forum was easy
6) Bloatware uninstall was really easy
7) Great functions like Oneplus had (e.g. automatic turn on/off)
8) Ambientlight functions for notifications is a great alternative for LED light

Last edited:

enyaj

Jun 26, 2006
General Trias
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
I have the SD version and I can say this is a superb phone. Everything seem top notch except the refresh rate. I set it at 120hz and to my understanding it should stay there but it keeps going down up to 10. I also get stutters a bit even when just scrolling on the app drawer or some websites. Now since this is my first Vivo phone, software/security updates will be judged soon😁 Having said all of these, I still prefer my Google Pixel 6 Pro overall but of course this is purely subjective😁

Jun 19, 2022
Vivo X80 Pro
In what areas do you think the Google pixel 6 Pro is b
I have the SD version and I can say this is a superb phone. Everything seem top notch except the refresh rate. I set it at 120hz and to my understanding it should stay there but it keeps going down up to 10. I also get stutters a bit even when just scrolling on the app drawer or some websites. Now since this is my first Vivo phone, software/security updates will be judged soon😁 Having said all of these, I still prefer my Google Pixel 6 Pro overall but of course this is purely subjective😁
In what areas would you say the Google pixel 6 Pro is better? And would you suggest that I buy the vivo x80 pro?

enyaj

Jun 26, 2006
General Trias
HTC Leo
HTC One (m7)
In what areas do you think the Google pixel 6 Pro is b

In what areas would you say the Google pixel 6 Pro is better? And would you suggest that I buy the vivo x80 pro?
This is just my opinion the Pixel performance feels smoother in terms of overall usage. I don't know it might just be me but I experience a bit of stutters with my X80 Pro but it could also be coz the system is still optimizing my usage since I just got this over the weekend. Also I like the still photos output of the Pixel a tad better but again I'm no professional photographer so this is all subjective. I don't want to give you suggestions on which one to purchase haha but you won't go wrong buying either of the two. I can say this though the FP and face unlock in the X80 Pro is a god send compared to the Pixels FP unlock😁

Edit: X80 Pro design looks better to me. Also I feel like it's a bit narrower vs the P6PRO which I like. Fast charging is definitely better with the X80 Pro.

Derpling

May 10, 2015
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
Vivo X80 Pro
Mine Mate 40 Pro has a 50MP AI high res mode that makes AWESOME photos, really unrivaled by any other phone camera.

Now, i bought the Vivo X80 Pro and while the camera here is on par, slightly better and worse than the M40PRO, they have no such mode, but there is a huge potential to implant it.

Other than that, some in apps notification sound is very low, some stutters due to LPTO but other than that that's the best phone atm.

Reactions: tobias14

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010
Mine Mate 40 Pro has a 50MP AI high res mode that makes AWESOME photos, really unrivaled by any other phone camera.

Now, i bought the Vivo X80 Pro and while the camera here is on par, slightly better and worse than the M40PRO, they have no such mode, but there is a huge potential to implant it.

Other than that, some in apps notification sound is very low, some stutters due to LPTO but other than that that's the best phone atm.
It does have a high res mode. Open camera and it's to the left.

diopskill

Dec 26, 2010

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220622_111408.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622_111408.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67

kenajanek

May 17, 2022
Does the camera app in lower light conditons (e. g. darker rooms) also show you such slowly moving black stripes (really reminds me like video from filming on a display)?

Derpling

May 10, 2015
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
Vivo X80 Pro
Yeah the normal high res mode but not the AI high resolution that huawei uses.

It takes a 3 second of various pictures, then combine then into one eliminating the noise and sharpening naturally the pic.

It's unrivaled.

Also i noticed that super raw or raw files does not use the whole resolution.

khushvant

Jun 26, 2022
Funtouch OS 12 and you can try FunTouch os13 if you want.
So far it's very smooth outside the stock gallery app which lags a bit, but that can be easily replaced.
My phones software version is PD2185BF_EX_A_12.0.12.5.W30.V000L1 but is this the latest version ? , I have Snapdragon Indian version. is there any way where i know about a new update coming? Also there are no other updates in Trial version .

Derpling

May 10, 2015
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
Vivo X80 Pro
My phones software version is PD2185BF_EX_A_12.0.12.5.W30.V000L1 but is this the latest version ? , I have Snapdragon Indian version. is there any way where i know about a new update coming? Also there are no other updates in Trial version .
You just have to wait like me and everyone else.

I hope they'll release a new update this month.

Reactions: khushvant

BLINK777

Apr 26, 2020
Vivo X80 Pro
Wow, thank you so much for your comprehensive reply.

I will definitely take this into consideration.

However, I would also want input from a snapdragon user just for the peace of mind before I put all this money into purchasing this phone.
Bro am from India and i bought it via flipkart. You can definitely go for it. Yes the camera unit heats up when using but that doesn't affect the performance nor the camera output..
Superb speakers
Very good display with vibrant colors (viewing the cinematic portraits and cinematic videos in this aspect ratio is stunning)
8gen 1 doesnt heat up at all on daily usage(not a gamer)
You can dial down the display and refresh rate which can give you a whole day battery and then some.
If u have Jio sim try porting it for better connection.
80watt fast charger is a breeze.
For 80k its totally worth it.

Reactions: Derpling

Derpling

May 10, 2015
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
Vivo X80 Pro
Bro am from India and i bought it via flipkart. You can definitely go for it. Yes the camera unit heats up when using but that doesn't affect the performance nor the camera output..
Superb speakers
Very good display with vibrant colors (viewing the cinematic portraits and cinematic videos in this aspect ratio is stunning)
8gen 1 doesnt heat up at all on daily usage(not a gamer)
You can dial down the display and refresh rate which can give you a whole day battery and then some.
If u have Jio sim try porting it for better connection.
80watt fast charger is a breeze.
For 80k its totally worth it.

Would add that battery is better than the reviews claim, i can sometimes end the day with 7SOT and 25%.
Though for the last days some apps are a bit rogue so i need to tune it up a bit.
5000mah with SD8GEN1+ might have been better and if we could actually customize the soc profile more, we could squeeze out more performance.

I hope they'll soon release the updated Android 13 beta for everyone.

Reactions: BLINK777

BLINK777

Apr 26, 2020
Vivo X80 Pro
Would add that battery is better than the reviews claim, i can sometimes end the day with 7SOT and 25%.
Though for the last days some apps are a bit rogue so i need to tune it up a bit.
5000mah with SD8GEN1+ might have been better and if we could actually customize the soc profile more, we could squeeze out more performance.

I hope they'll soon release the updated Android 13 beta for everyone.
TBH, yes the battery is just superb. There was this one time It lasted even till the next day(around 11AM) it was was holding around 20-23%(use case can differ but just wow). I am surprisingly happy since am switching from a pixel 3xl. I heard x series have good s/w support from vivo. Right now am just waiting for a patch which can fine tune some areas. I hope they are listening.

Derpling

May 10, 2015
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
Vivo X80 Pro
TBH, yes the battery is just superb. There was this one time It lasted even till the next day(around 11AM) it was was holding around 20-23%(use case can differ but just wow). I am surprisingly happy since am switching from a pixel 3xl. I heard x series have good s/w support from vivo. Right now am just waiting for a patch which can fine tune some areas. I hope they are listening.

Their support is actually very chatty, the live one at least.
I hope they really improve upon it as i suggest a camera mode that was found on my previous Huawei device and it made a HUGE difference in photo quality.

X80 Pro is really unmatched at night, it's so fun to take pics with it.

BLINK777

Apr 26, 2020
Vivo X80 Pro
Their support is actually very chatty, the live one at least.
I hope they really improve upon it as i suggest a camera mode that was found on my previous Huawei device and it made a HUGE difference in photo quality.

X80 Pro is really unmatched at night, it's so fun to take pics with it.
What are your thoughts on the periscope lens? Have you tried the moon shot? For me it didn't come out very good. Should those be taken in a tripod? Just wanted to know if it's the same for everyone. I saw youtube videos in which the end result was salvagible .. I believe we need a clearer sky the least?

Reactions: Derpling

wimbawaya

Jun 20, 2016
I’m new to the forum (I’ve been loitering for some time but have never posted), but I just bought an X80 Pro (in Spain, so FuntouchOS) and wanted to add my 2 cents / pose a question of my own, as I think I may have gotten a lemon and wanted to ask whether some of the behaviours it’s exhibiting are normal.

I’d been waiting to upgrade for quite some time and had my mind set on the X70 Pro+, but asking prices were way too high, plus I prefer to buy on Amazon or from a well-established vendor, as I’ve had bad experiences with ebay and Aliexpress in the past. So I decided to hold out until the X80 series. Having watched and read every review out there on the X80 Pro, my mind was 100% made up.

So, I’ve had it for 3 days and unfortunately, the plan is to return it on Monday and either exchange it for another X80 Pro, or for another phone altogether.

My main issues are overheating and battery life. Granted, I’m in Spain and it’s summer, but I’m in the Pyrenees, rarely above 28º C, and have my old P30 Pro next to me for reference, which at the same ambient temperature, remains cool. (The X80 Pro heats up at night too, when ambient temperature is 15º C).

On day 1, I charged the phone to 100% before using it, then started the install/customization process (letting it download apps from the Play Store, signing into my apps, rearranging them on the home screen, etc.). After 1h20min of screen time, my battery was down to 49%.

Screenshot-2022-0708-150638.jpg

After 3h20” of screen-time, battery was down to 26%.

Screenshot-2022-0709-171445.jpg

This seemed out-of-the-ordinary, but I figured it was the intensive first-day use. The phone also got pretty toasty. After charging it (that 80W charging is FAST!), battery drain continued at an alarming pace. This stopped (and the phone cooled down) after Whatsapp finished downloading the chat backup. Battery drain with light use seems to be approximately 10% per hour of screen-time (as long as there's not networking activity going on).

Since then, I’ve noticed a pattern: any kind of network usage (cellular or WiFi) causes the phone to heat up and for battery to drain FAST (as in roughly 20-25%/hour). Downloading offline maps for Gmaps (WiFi, screen off), it became very warm, losing almost 10% battery to download 500 Mb (which took, for some reason, about 10’). The phone is even warm to the touch when idle and with the screen off (while my trusty old P30 Pro is cool to the touch).

After seeing this, I decided to try a more CPU-instensive task. Applying a filter to an 11’ 1080p video and exporting it in Power Director (same resolution) took 5’ 11” and drained 2 % battery. The phone got warm, but no warmer than when downloading or using the camera (which also causes it to heat up considerably).

So...battery seems to drain faster with network usage than with CPU-demanding tasks? Weird...

*Note: none of the testing has ever been done under direct sunlight, always in the shade.

Yesterday I went for a drive in the woods, using Gaia GPS (which has 3D terrain, so it’s somewhat GPU-intensive) on Android Auto, and the phone heated up so much it refused to charge (I tried both wired and wireless A.Auto). When trying to take photos, the camera app stuttered like crazy (the phone was in the shade and air condition was on). My old P30 Pro has always handled this without even a minor hiccup and has never overheated.

I get the impression that overall, the chip runs hot, especially for networking, but even under idle (background network activity?). From what I’ve read, the SD 8 Gen 1 runs hot in general and is a bit of a power hog, but…is it really this bad or did I get a lemon? Maybe it’s Vivo’s bad thermals, maybe bad CPU optimization, maybe a not-so-great chip in terms of power efficiency and thermals…maybe just a bad chip (no two chips are identical, of course)…

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I’m an intensive user, but I’m not even getting 3h screen-time (down to 20%; I’d probably get 4h if I drained down to near-empty, which I don’t do to preserve battery). And I haven't even been doing video or photo editing. And so far, draining down to 15%, I’ve never even gotten 4h of screen-on time.

Screenshot-2022-0708-163805.jpg

Starting the day at 8 AM with 100% charge, by 3 PM I’m down to 20% (with light usage), so there’s no way this phone could get me through a full day, even with light use. And even with the 80W fast charging, what about holidays and days in the countryside? I’m not sure I want a phone that makes me so dependent on having to plug it in to get me through the day. If this is normal for this phone, there’s no way it’s for me.

So, so far my experience with this phone hasn’t been too great, and I’ll definitely be returning it. What I’m not too sure about, is whether to get another X80 Pro or a different phone. I really want to like this phone and give it another shot but…I’m not sure I’m sold (especially at this price point).

While the main selling point for me was the camera, I can’t say I’m as impressed as I expected to be. Detail is excellent and colour consistency between the lenses is pretty good, and it IS an amazing camera. But performance is proving rather inconsistent. Sometimes pictures feel a bit flat for my liking (I know this is subjective), as if the HDR were a bit overzealous and eliminated the punch/depth. It’s also a bit hit-and-miss in my experience so far: Snap the same picture twice and in one photo it lights up the shadows just right, so they’re not too dark, but contrast is retained; snap it again and it “lights them up” too much, creating a very flat image, lacking contrast. I guess it depends on what the AI deems appropriate for that specific moment.

In terms of colour profiles, the standard is way too saturated for my liking (Samsung-style), which I didn’t expect. And the Zeiss natural colour mode…is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it’s spot-on, other times it’s a bit dull and flat and I find myself wishing for a more balanced middle ground. Although this is very dependent, from what I’m finding, on which lense you use:

Main camera, “Vivo colour”:

IMG-20220710-140351.jpg

Punchy, attractive image if you like this style, with red tones actually very true-to-life but green tones fairly over-saturated for my liking.

Main camera, Zeiss colour:

IMG-20220710-140832.jpg

True-to-life greens, reds are a bit muted (the building to the left is red stone, with a few grey stones here and there, but it appears much less red in this photo than it actually is).

Ultra-wide, Vivo colour:

IMG-20220710-140828.jpg

As before, very punchy and vibrant. Greens are more saturated than in real life, reds are spot-on.

Ultra-wide, Zeiss:

IMG-20220710-140832.jpg

Strange balance here. The green on the trees is more life-like, but the different tones of green (lighter leaves/darker leaves) are lost to this snapshot. The green of the grass is muted, with a more reddish tint; in real life it appears greener. The red building appears less red than in real life, yet it’s given a red tint to the shaded part of the building behind it, which is actually grey.

2X zoom, Vivo:

IMG-20220710-140638.jpg

The colour is actually fairly accurate here: a bit more over-saturated than in real-life, but pleasing to my eyes. Which proves my theory that colours are more muted on the 2X tele.

2X zoom, Zeiss:

IMG-20220710-140643.jpg

Also visually pleasing, IMO, even if the colours, overall, are a bit muted compared to real life, particularly on the grass.

5X zoom, Vivo:

IMG-20220710-140654.jpg

Colours are way off. Greens are very oversaturated, the house’s stone wall has a very unnatural, over-sharpened, too-contrasy look and the roof tiles have an odd orange tone to them (they’re redder in real life).

5X zoom, Zeiss:

IMG-20220710-140659.jpg

Much more natural greens, but muted reds (the wall looks too grey, especially in the shadowy part) and again, a more orange tint to the roof.

But of course, much of this is down to personal preference and I realise I’m nitpicking. I just thought I’d post this for reference. This phone has an impressive camera setup which I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend. For stills, that is.

The video…I’ve found myself fairly disappointed with. The colour profile is WAY TOO saturated for my liking, and there’s no option (that I’ve been able to find) to switch to the Zeiss colour profile. Stabilization is good, except for a little jittering when panning. The gimbal on the 2X zooms works wonders, but I really find myself wishing it were on the main camera or the ultra-wide instead of the tele. I really can’t think of any cases where I’d want a gimbal on a 2X tele for video (a gimbal is meant for video use), and for stills, normal OIS would have been sufficient, and the gimbal could have been used for video on a lense people might use while walking around (which is rarely, to not say never, going to be using a 2X zoom factor).

My main gripe, though, is the inability to switch lenses during video recording. If you start recording with the ultra-wide, you’re stuck with the ultra wide—there’s no option to zoom at all. If you start recording with the main camera, you’re offered the possibility of zooming in up to 5X, but this is digital zoom. Beyond 2X, it starts to get grainy, and beyond 3X the footage is, IMO, unusable. If you start recording at 2X, it’s also the main camera (with 2X digital zoom); it will let you zoom out to 1X, or zoom in all the way to 10X, which is pointless because past 3.5X, the footage looks like something recorded on a digital point-and-shoot from 20 years ago.

The cinematic mode…honestly, is very aesthetically pleasing, but nothing that can’t be done in post, and not nearly as useful as being able to switch lenses during recording—so, IMO, more of a gimmick than a truly useful feature. I didn’t realise how important being able to switch lenses while recording was to me on my P30 Pro (even if the colour profile differed greatly from one lense to another) until I found myself trying to record my dog on the X80 Pro, seeing how much the image quality degrades when zooming in, and missing the possibility of switching to ultra-wide when he sits in front of me to give me the stick I’ve thrown for him. It just makes the camera so much less versatile for video—it’s such a waste to not take advantage of such high-quality hardware.

This missing feature might be enough to sway me towards returning the Vivo altogether. I actually think I’d prefer an S22 Ultra, even if its photos can’t compete with the Vivo’s, for its versatility in this sense—I get a feeling that even if it doesn’t excel at any one thing (except zoom, of course), it’s a more balanced overall package. But after ordering and returning an S20 and an S21+ and being very disappointed by the lackluster Exynos performance (stuttering video, very slow to export video, bad battery life), I’ve sworn I won’t buy another Samsung that packs an Exynos chip in it.

So back to the Vivo…as I write this, I’m realizing this phone might not be for me. I could maybe overlook the missing video features, but the battery life is a bit of a deal-breaker. Even if I could get 6h of screen time…that’s with a brand-new phone. My P30 Pro is 3 years old and outlasts by a mile, still getting more than 7h screen-time. I don’t even want to know how the X80 Pro will perform in a year or two…

What do you guys think?

On the other hand, even if I could overlook that, for 1199€, I’d expect a flagship experience and level of polish which the Vivo certainly does not have. A first update solved the inconsistencies in the dark mode (black text on a black background), but overall, the notifications issue is something that shouldn’t happen on a phone this price. I don’t get notifications from Protonmail or Signal, or the Mercedes Me app, and I’m a power user who’s gone through all the settings (allow background usage, unrestricted power usage, notifications, etc.).

So…after writing this…as much as I like the Vivo for stills, and as much as I’d like to love it,
I think I’m going to return it. And as things are, I don’t think there’s anything on the market that meets what I’m looking for. I think the SD 8 Gen 1 is too power-hungry a chip, and a SD 888 or 8+ Gen 1 would probably be better choices. Maybe I’ll get a previous-gen phone or just wait for new phones packing the 8+ Gen 1, which seems to be more power-efficient (by 30%).

So I think I’ve answered my own question and will stick with the P30 Pro for now—even with the failing microphone and fingerprint reader. It still performs as well as the day I bought it and if I’m going to spend this kind of money on something new, I want it to really meet my needs (battery, camera, UI & polish, reliability—and storage: I think 512 Gb of storage would be the wiser, more future-proof option). And further down the road…we’ll see. I just don’t feel like being the guinea pig for companies that keep pumping out phones like this, using consumers as beta-testers for unpolished products (I’m not refering to any brand in particular; they all do the same…).

Or does anyone who owns it think I'm being too harsh and should give it a second chance? (Another unit). Do you think I can get at least 6h of screen-time on a different (non-faulty) unit? Do you think Vivo might polish the UI and fix the missing notification issue? (I can't say I like the notification style either though).

Anyway, sorry to all for the rant, but I hope that in exchange I provided some information that’s useful for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ticoss and tobias14

tobias14

Feb 15, 2009
Koper
I’m new to the forum (I’ve been loitering for some time but have never posted), but I just bought an X80 Pro (in Spain, so FuntouchOS) and wanted to add my 2 cents / pose a question of my own, as I think I may have gotten a lemon and wanted to ask whether some of the behaviours it’s exhibiting are normal.

I’d been waiting to upgrade for quite some time and had my mind set on the X70 Pro+, but asking prices were way too high, plus I prefer to buy on Amazon or from a well-established vendor, as I’ve had bad experiences with ebay and Aliexpress in the past. So I decided to hold out until the X80 series. Having watched and read every review out there on the X80 Pro, my mind was 100% made up.

So, I’ve had it for 3 days and unfortunately, the plan is to return it on Monday and either exchange it for another X80 Pro, or for another phone altogether.

My main issues are overheating and battery life. Granted, I’m in Spain and it’s summer, but I’m in the Pyrenees, rarely above 28º C, and have my old P30 Pro next to me for reference, which at the same ambient temperature, remains cool. (The X80 Pro heats up at night too, when ambient temperature is 15º C).

On day 1, I charged the phone to 100% before using it, then started the install/customization process (letting it download apps from the Play Store, signing into my apps, rearranging them on the home screen, etc.). After 1h20min of screen time, my battery was down to 49%.

This seemed out-of-the-ordinary, but I figured it was the intensive first-day use. The phone also got pretty toasty. After charging it (that 80W charging is FAST!), battery drain continued at an alarming pace. This stopped (and the phone cooled down) after Whatsapp finished downloading the chat backup. Battery drain with light use seems to be approximately 10% per hour of screen-time (as long as there's not networking activity going on).

Since then, I’ve noticed a pattern: any kind of network usage (cellular or WiFi) causes the phone to heat up and for battery to drain FAST (as in roughly 20-25%/hour). Downloading offline maps for Gmaps (WiFi, screen off), it became very warm, losing almost 10% battery to download 500 Mb (which took, for some reason, about 10’). The phone is even warm to the touch when idle and with the screen off (while my trusty old P30 Pro is cool to the touch).

After seeing this, I decided to try a more CPU-instensive task. Applying a filter to an 11’ 1080p video and exporting it in Power Director (same resolution) took 5’ 11” and drained 2 % battery. The phone got warm, but no warmer than when downloading or using the camera (which also causes it to heat up considerably).

So...battery seems to drain faster with network usage than with CPU-demanding tasks? Weird...

*Note: none of the testing has ever been done under direct sunlight, always in the shade.

Yesterday I went for a drive in the woods, using Gaia GPS (which has 3D terrain, so it’s somewhat GPU-intensive) on Android Auto, and the phone heated up so much it refused to charge (I tried both wired and wireless A.Auto). When trying to take photos, the camera app stuttered like crazy (the phone was in the shade and air condition was on). My old P30 Pro has always handled this without even a minor hiccup and has never overheated.

I get the impression that overall, the chip runs hot, especially for networking, but even under idle (background network activity?). From what I’ve read, the SD 8 Gen 1 runs hot in general and is a bit of a power hog, but…is it really this bad or did I get a lemon? Maybe it’s Vivo’s bad thermals, maybe bad CPU optimization, maybe a not-so-great chip in terms of power efficiency and thermals…maybe just a bad chip (no two chips are identical, of course)…

I’m an intensive user, but I’m not even getting 3h screen-time (down to 20%; I’d probably get 4h if I drained down to near-empty, which I don’t do to preserve battery). And I haven't even been doing video or photo editing. And so far, draining down to 15%, I’ve never even gotten 4h of screen-on time.

Starting the day at 8 AM with 100% charge, by 3 PM I’m down to 20% (with light usage), so there’s no way this phone could get me through a full day, even with light use. And even with the 80W fast charging, what about holidays and days in the countryside? I’m not sure I want a phone that makes me so dependent on having to plug it in to get me through the day. If this is normal for this phone, there’s no way it’s for me.

So, so far my experience with this phone hasn’t been too great, and I’ll definitely be returning it. What I’m not too sure about, is whether to get another X80 Pro or a different phone. I really want to like this phone and give it another shot but…I’m not sure I’m sold (especially at this price point).

While the main selling point for me was the camera, I can’t say I’m as impressed as I expected to be. Detail is excellent and colour consistency between the lenses is pretty good, and it IS an amazing camera. But performance is proving rather inconsistent. Sometimes pictures feel a bit flat for my liking (I know this is subjective), as if the HDR were a bit overzealous and eliminated the punch/depth. It’s also a bit hit-and-miss in my experience so far: Snap the same picture twice and in one photo it lights up the shadows just right, so they’re not too dark, but contrast is retained; snap it again and it “lights them up” too much, creating a very flat image, lacking contrast. I guess it depends on what the AI deems appropriate for that specific moment.

In terms of colour profiles, the standard is way too saturated for my liking (Samsung-style), which I didn’t expect. And the Zeiss natural colour mode…is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it’s spot-on, other times it’s a bit dull and flat and I find myself wishing for a more balanced middle ground. Although this is very dependent, from what I’m finding, on which lense you use:

IMG-20220710-140351.jpg

Punchy, attractive image if you like this style, with red tones actually very true-to-life but green tones fairly over-saturated for my liking.

IMG-20220710-140832.jpg

True-to-life greens, reds are a bit muted (the building to the left is red stone, with a few grey stones here and there, but it appears much less red in this photo than it actually is).

Ultra-wide, Vivo colour:

IMG-20220710-140828.jpg

As before, very punchy and vibrant. Greens are more saturated than in real life, reds are spot-on.

Ultra-wide, Zeiss:

IMG-20220710-140832.jpg

Strange balance here. The green on the trees is more life-like, but the different tones of green (lighter leaves/darker leaves) are lost to this snapshot. The green of the grass is muted, with a more reddish tint; in real life it appears greener. The red building appears less red than in real life, yet it’s given a red tint to the shaded part of the building behind it, which is actually grey.

2X zoom, Vivo:

IMG-20220710-140638.jpg

The colour is actually fairly accurate here: a bit more over-saturated than in real-life, but pleasing to my eyes. Which proves my theory that colours are more muted on the 2X tele.

2X zoom, Zeiss:

IMG-20220710-140643.jpg

Also visually pleasing, IMO, even if the colours, overall, are a bit muted compared to real life, particularly on the grass.

5X zoom, Vivo:

IMG-20220710-140654.jpg

Colours are way off. Greens are very oversaturated, the house’s stone wall has a very unnatural, over-sharpened, too-contrasy look and the roof tiles have an odd orange tone to them (they’re redder in real life).

5X zoom, Zeiss:

IMG-20220710-140659.jpg

Much more natural greens, but muted reds (the wall looks too grey, especially in the shadowy part) and again, a more orange tint to the roof.

But of course, much of this is down to personal preference and I realise I’m nitpicking. I just thought I’d post this for reference. This phone has an impressive camera setup which I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend. For stills, that is.

The video…I’ve found myself fairly disappointed with. The colour profile is WAY TOO saturated for my liking, and there’s no option (that I’ve been able to find) to switch to the Zeiss colour profile. Stabilization is good, except for a little jittering when panning. The gimbal on the 2X zooms works wonders, but I really find myself wishing it were on the main camera or the ultra-wide instead of the tele. I really can’t think of any cases where I’d want a gimbal on a 2X tele for video (a gimbal is meant for video use), and for stills, normal OIS would have been sufficient, and the gimbal could have been used for video on a lense people might use while walking around (which is rarely, to not say never, going to be using a 2X zoom factor).

My main gripe, though, is the inability to switch lenses during video recording. If you start recording with the ultra-wide, you’re stuck with the ultra wide—there’s no option to zoom at all. If you start recording with the main camera, you’re offered the possibility of zooming in up to 5X, but this is digital zoom. Beyond 2X, it starts to get grainy, and beyond 3X the footage is, IMO, unusable. If you start recording at 2X, it’s also the main camera (with 2X digital zoom); it will let you zoom out to 1X, or zoom in all the way to 10X, which is pointless because past 3.5X, the footage looks like something recorded on a digital point-and-shoot from 20 years ago.

The cinematic mode…honestly, is very aesthetically pleasing, but nothing that can’t be done in post, and not nearly as useful as being able to switch lenses during recording—so, IMO, more of a gimmick than a truly useful feature. I didn’t realise how important being able to switch lenses while recording was to me on my P30 Pro (even if the colour profile differed greatly from one lense to another) until I found myself trying to record my dog on the X80 Pro, seeing how much the image quality degrades when zooming in, and missing the possibility of switching to ultra-wide when he sits in front of me to give me the stick I’ve thrown for him. It just makes the camera so much less versatile for video—it’s such a waste to not take advantage of such high-quality hardware.

This missing feature might be enough to sway me towards returning the Vivo altogether. I actually think I’d prefer an S22 Ultra, even if its photos can’t compete with the Vivo’s, for its versatility in this sense—I get a feeling that even if it doesn’t excel at any one thing (except zoom, of course), it’s a more balanced overall package. But after ordering and returning an S20 and an S21+ and being very disappointed by the lackluster Exynos performance (stuttering video, very slow to export video, bad battery life), I’ve sworn I won’t buy another Samsung that packs an Exynos chip in it.

So back to the Vivo…as I write this, I’m realizing this phone might not be for me. I could maybe overlook the missing video features, but the battery life is a bit of a deal-breaker. Even if I could get 6h of screen time…that’s with a brand-new phone. My P30 Pro is 3 years old and outlasts by a mile, still getting more than 7h screen-time. I don’t even want to know how the X80 Pro will perform in a year or two…

What do you guys think?

On the other hand, even if I could overlook that, for 1199€, I’d expect a flagship experience and level of polish which the Vivo certainly does not have. A first update solved the inconsistencies in the dark mode (black text on a black background), but overall, the notifications issue is something that shouldn’t happen on a phone this price. I don’t get notifications from Protonmail or Signal, or the Mercedes Me app, and I’m a power user who’s gone through all the settings (allow background usage, unrestricted power usage, notifications, etc.).

So…after writing this…as much as I like the Vivo for stills, and as much as I’d like to love it,
I think I’m going to return it. And as things are, I don’t think there’s anything on the market that meets what I’m looking for. I think the SD 8 Gen 1 is too power-hungry a chip, and a SD 888 or 8+ Gen 1 would probably be better choices. Maybe I’ll get a previous-gen phone or just wait for new phones packing the 8+ Gen 1, which seems to be more power-efficient (by 30%).

So I think I’ve answered my own question and will stick with the P30 Pro for now—even with the failing microphone and fingerprint reader. It still performs as well as the day I bought it and if I’m going to spend this kind of money on something new, I want it to really meet my needs (battery, camera, UI & polish, reliability—and storage: I think 512 Gb of storage would be the wiser, more future-proof option). And further down the road…we’ll see. I just don’t feel like being the guinea pig for companies that keep pumping out phones like this, using consumers as beta-testers for unpolished products (I’m not refering to any brand in particular; they all do the same…).

Or does anyone who owns it think I'm being too harsh and should give it a second chance? (Another unit). Do you think I can get at least 6h of screen-time on a different (non-faulty) unit? Do you think Vivo might polish the UI and fix the missing notification issue? (I can't say I like the notification style either though).

Anyway, sorry to all for the rant, but I hope that in exchange I provided some information that’s useful for you.
Thanks for your detailed post although now I'm a little bit worried. I sold my S22U yesterday and pre-ordered X80 pro which I should get it next Friday.
I was pretty undecided whether to sell S22U for Vivo or not and same as you, I also watched and read many reviews. Ultimately, I decided to go for it mostly due to Vivo's much praised cameras.

I think (but ofc I might be wrong,) that you got a lemon because many reviewers did not have a problem to reach 6-7 hours SOT.

Reactions: wimbawaya

wimbawaya

Jun 20, 2016
Thanks for your detailed post although now I'm a little bit worried. I sold my S22U yesterday and pre-ordered X80 pro which I should get it next Friday.
I was pretty undecided whether to sell S22U for Vivo or not and same as you, I also watched and read many reviews. Ultimately, I decided to go for it mostly due to Vivo's much praised cameras.

I think (but ofc I might be wrong,) that you got a lemon because many reviewers did not have a problem to reach 6-7 hours SOT.

The camera (for photos, IMO) is awesome. Thinking back to what I wrote earlier, the fact I'm holding it to such a high standard, checking the small details, is pretty revealing about its quality. There's no way I'd nitpick with my P30 Pro like that, it wouldn't hold up to such close scrutiny.

About the "flat looking photos" in HDR situations, disabling AI seems to help.

But about the battery...,I'm hoping I was unlucky and got a lemon and replacing it will solve the issue, as in another thread someone mentioned getting 8h screen-on time and 60% battery remaining by evening...

Reactions: tobias14

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I exchanged the phone for another X80 Pro...I really wanted to give this phone another chance. And so far, it’s…well, a bit of a mixed bag:

BATTERY LIFE:

Battery drain isn’t quite as bad, but it still isn’t great. Yesterday I got 3.5h SoT with 40% battery left, but this was with light use (a lot of brief screen-unlocks just to check notifications).

The screen is the main contributing factor (I’m using 2400x1080; I tried “smart” refresh rate for a couple of days and have now switched to 60Hz to see if it makes a difference), followed by networking: some of this can definitely be attributed to software—both the OS, Google Services with its background BS, and Vivo’s own [lack of] tweaking. Yesterday evening I was offered to update to 12.0.12.7, which I'm guessing focuses more on adquisition of cellular coverage. So far, I've been mostly on WiFi so I can't attest to any differences for the time being.

But there's definitely a software component to the battery drain and heat associated with networking (either wifi or cellular), because it's very much dependent on the app and use scenario: with YT and Spotify (streaming), there’s no out-of-the-ordinary battery drain or heating, while anything that involves downloading files (Gmaps offline maps, downloading music from Spotify, downloading files from Tresorit, uploading to G.Drive, etc) causes the battery to go down FAST and the phone to get very warm to the touch. When restoring Whatsapp chat backups from G-drive, for instance, even though it was downloading at a very slow rate (it took 2.5h to download 3 Gb, but I’m guessing it’s ‘cause the app is designed to use limited bandwidth for backup restoring), battery drain and heating were both very considerable.

I’ve disabled “raise to wake” and “tap to wake”, which were enabled on my previous X80 Pro, as I’m assuming they keep certain sensors awake. We’ll see if it makes a difference. Then again, I have all those features on on my P30 Pro and they don’t have enough of an impact on battery drain to warrrant disabling them.

Looking at screen wakelocks, I found that com.vivo.fingerprint:powerUtils woke up the phone 113 times (keeping it awake for 1m 43s) in the 2h since the last full charge. That’s nearly once very minute…

I’ve noticed (both on this unit and the one I returned) that with the phone sitting static on a table, the fingerprint unlock icon would randomly appear, waking the screen. And it did so quite often (once every 5-10”), so I’ve disabled “Show fingerprint icon on off screen”. Maybe this is a fingerprint sensor calibration issue (software, because it’s been present on 2 different units), and the fact it doesn’t wake the screen will only solve part of the associated battery drain, since the sensor remains active. If anyone knows of a way to disable this, so that fingerprint sensor only becomes active after hitting the power button and waking the screen, I’d like to give it a try and see if it has any effect on battery life.

Overall, idle battery drain seems pretty high (I’ll report percentages once I’ve had Battery Guru running for a few more days).

Based on the above, I get the impression that there’s a bad combo going on between power-hungry hardware and poor software optimization, with Vivo contributing to making Android’s poor power management (compared to Apple’s) even worse.

Also, not a fan of Vivo’s battery management: it’s either too aggressive to the point of killing notifications and functionality, or completely unrestricted, allowing too much battery drain.

We’ll see how it fairs over time, but with the 80W fast-charging, I’m willing to accept these battery numbers in exchange for the EXCELLENT camera, and overlook the less-than-ideal FunTouch OS, as long as my next main issue doesn’t become a total deal-breaker:

OVERHEATING:

As mentioned before, the heating issue is still there, although, granted, it’s been HOT here: from 35 to 38º C during the day.

Strangely enough, it heats up more during networking activities than during CPU-intensive tasks such as rendering video. 🤷‍♀️

But heating could be a deal-breaker for me based on something that happened yesterday. I went for a 1h bike ride and was using Gmaps Navigation for the route (phone locked and in my pocket, following audio guidance via my earbuds) and recording the ride with Relive. After about 1/2h, I took out the phone the take a few pics and it was so HOT the camera app was stuttering heavily. I tried recording a video and the result is as can be imagined. Even the home screen and menu were lagging heavily.

I’ll have to try again during a night ride when it isn’t so hot, but if this phone is going to heat up to the point of nearly freezing (and surely shortening the battery life), there’s no way I’m going to hold onto it when my trusty old Huawei never had such issues.

Wireless Android Auto also causes severe heating (in a shaded, cool area of the car), while wired AA doesn’t. I could understand if heavy 5G-use caused battery drain but also WiFi? (AA is known to be buggy, but this isn't an isolated case)

I’m really starting to wish they’d shipped globally with the Dimensity9000….

TBH, the only real reason I’m still rooting for this phone is the CAMERA.

The stills it takes are EXCEPTIONAL—the best photos on any phone I’ve used. Especially now that I’ve spent more time playing with it. It nails high-contrast HDR situations, and night photos (especially city-scapes) are STUNNING. The camera UI could use a little polish though (so many options, often in not-too-intuitive places).

The video is also very good, even though I find the colours a bit over-saturated and would have like to see a Zeiss colour mode there too. Correcting what I said in my previous, in-depth comment on the camera, it IS possible to change lenses when recording video, but only in 1080p—not in 4K or 8K—and not with AI enhancement turned on.

Transition from one lense to another is smooth enough when zooming in/out, but as is to be expected, there are very noticeable quality losses at certain focal lengths, between lenses, when digital zoom is being applied:

• At 0.6X, with the ultra-wide, quality is fantastic for an UW lense. At 0.7X the drop in quality isn’t noticeable, but at 0.8 and 0.9X, the digital zoom on the wide-angle yields grainy, pixelated results.
    • Once it jumps to the main camera, quality is top-notch, and respectable up to about 1.3X (30% digital zoom factor); at 1.4X the footage is still quite (despite the 40% digital zoom factor), but from 1.5X to 1.9X… Quality drops exponentially until it switched to the “portrait lense” at 2X.
    • Quality is still very acceptable up to 3X, gradually decreasing until it switches to the 5X periscope.
    • From 5X to 7X the quality is still very good; from there to the 9Xish mark, it’s still acceptable. But beyond 10X….you can imagine.
    Overall, I’m pleased with the video too. Or would be, if it didn’t heat up so much. With a 1min video at 1080p, 30 fps, cpuss-0 jumped from 49º C to 62º C and the battery reached 44º C. Battery dropped 1%. After letting it cool down again to baseline (during which time it dropped another 1%), I tried a [email protected] 4k60fps, and surprisingly, cpuss-0 “only” reached 56º (maybe the A1+ chip was doing the heavy lifting?), the battery hit 43º C and again, 1% drop in battery level.

But in the 5’ since then, with the phone idle and screen off, it’s dropped another 4% and is still very warm to the touch. I’m guessing that’s Google photos uploading the videos in the background…but still, that’s a 7% drop in 10’, of which only 3’ were active use…

So, overall, the main reason I’m holding onto this phone is the camera—which I suspect is the deciding factor for anyone who buys this phone. As a camera, it excels; as a phone—despite the gorgeous display, fantastic ultrasonic fingerprint reader and nice-sounding speakers—it’s, in my experience, a fairly poor package, especially at its 1199€ price point; both from a HW standpoint (CPU & battery life) and a SW one (Not-too-smooth 120Hz implementation, small lags in the OS and certain apps, poor HW optimization, bugs and issues with notifications, etc.). Maybe SW updates will solve some of the issues. Or maybe the SD 8 Gen1 is beyond fixable...
    By the way, are you guys reporting bugs/things that need improving via the Vivo.com app > Support > Feedback? I think we should really make some noise and submit all of our complaints so that maybe they'll address them

Very good feedback mate, we need to forward all of this to vivo together and separately.

Camera is top-notch but the animations bugs, notifications and battery needs a major rework.

Idle drain is bad unless you're on airplane mode or use the phone all the time, it seems vivo kernel combined with android causing some issues.

Wish we could have more control on cpu power, likely to reduce it without forcing the phone going to power save mode and have all other effect on.

Let's forward all of this to vivo via live chat and the feedback app.
    Is it mine or does registering multiple fingerprints slows the recognition rate? Having x2 prints seems to be much faster than having x4. Are you guys facing the same issue? Also, It doesn't seem to allow to register the same finger twice for better recognition as well.
    Yes - having 4 fingerprints the recognition is worse, especially when used for fingerprint secured apps (WhatsApp, telegram...).

Reducing the amount to 2 fingerprints solves the problem and the recognition is fantastic.
    So, I exchanged the phone for another X80 Pro...I really wanted to give this phone another chance. And so far, it’s…well, a bit of a mixed bag:

BATTERY LIFE:

Battery drain isn’t quite as bad, but it still isn’t great. Yesterday I got 3.5h SoT with 40% battery left, but this was with light use (a lot of brief screen-unlocks just to check notifications).

The screen is the main contributing factor (I’m using 2400x1080; I tried “smart” refresh rate for a couple of days and have now switched to 60Hz to see if it makes a difference), followed by networking: some of this can definitely be attributed to software—both the OS, Google Services with its background BS, and Vivo’s own [lack of] tweaking. Yesterday evening I was offered to update to 12.0.12.7, which I'm guessing focuses more on adquisition of cellular coverage. So far, I've been mostly on WiFi so I can't attest to any differences for the time being.

But there's definitely a software component to the battery drain and heat associated with networking (either wifi or cellular), because it's very much dependent on the app and use scenario: with YT and Spotify (streaming), there’s no out-of-the-ordinary battery drain or heating, while anything that involves downloading files (Gmaps offline maps, downloading music from Spotify, downloading files from Tresorit, uploading to G.Drive, etc) causes the battery to go down FAST and the phone to get very warm to the touch. When restoring Whatsapp chat backups from G-drive, for instance, even though it was downloading at a very slow rate (it took 2.5h to download 3 Gb, but I’m guessing it’s ‘cause the app is designed to use limited bandwidth for backup restoring), battery drain and heating were both very considerable.

I’ve disabled “raise to wake” and “tap to wake”, which were enabled on my previous X80 Pro, as I’m assuming they keep certain sensors awake. We’ll see if it makes a difference. Then again, I have all those features on on my P30 Pro and they don’t have enough of an impact on battery drain to warrrant disabling them.

Looking at screen wakelocks, I found that com.vivo.fingerprint:powerUtils woke up the phone 113 times (keeping it awake for 1m 43s) in the 2h since the last full charge. That’s nearly once very minute…

I’ve noticed (both on this unit and the one I returned) that with the phone sitting static on a table, the fingerprint unlock icon would randomly appear, waking the screen. And it did so quite often (once every 5-10”), so I’ve disabled “Show fingerprint icon on off screen”. Maybe this is a fingerprint sensor calibration issue (software, because it’s been present on 2 different units), and the fact it doesn’t wake the screen will only solve part of the associated battery drain, since the sensor remains active. If anyone knows of a way to disable this, so that fingerprint sensor only becomes active after hitting the power button and waking the screen, I’d like to give it a try and see if it has any effect on battery life.

Overall, idle battery drain seems pretty high (I’ll report percentages once I’ve had Battery Guru running for a few more days).

Based on the above, I get the impression that there’s a bad combo going on between power-hungry hardware and poor software optimization, with Vivo contributing to making Android’s poor power management (compared to Apple’s) even worse.

Also, not a fan of Vivo’s battery management: it’s either too aggressive to the point of killing notifications and functionality, or completely unrestricted, allowing too much battery drain.

We’ll see how it fairs over time, but with the 80W fast-charging, I’m willing to accept these battery numbers in exchange for the EXCELLENT camera, and overlook the less-than-ideal FunTouch OS, as long as my next main issue doesn’t become a total deal-breaker:

OVERHEATING:

As mentioned before, the heating issue is still there, although, granted, it’s been HOT here: from 35 to 38º C during the day.

Strangely enough, it heats up more during networking activities than during CPU-intensive tasks such as rendering video. 🤷‍♀️

But heating could be a deal-breaker for me based on something that happened yesterday. I went for a 1h bike ride and was using Gmaps Navigation for the route (phone locked and in my pocket, following audio guidance via my earbuds) and recording the ride with Relive. After about 1/2h, I took out the phone the take a few pics and it was so HOT the camera app was stuttering heavily. I tried recording a video and the result is as can be imagined. Even the home screen and menu were lagging heavily.

I’ll have to try again during a night ride when it isn’t so hot, but if this phone is going to heat up to the point of nearly freezing (and surely shortening the battery life), there’s no way I’m going to hold onto it when my trusty old Huawei never had such issues.

Wireless Android Auto also causes severe heating (in a shaded, cool area of the car), while wired AA doesn’t. I could understand if heavy 5G-use caused battery drain but also WiFi? (AA is known to be buggy, but this isn't an isolated case)

The stills it takes are EXCEPTIONAL—the best photos on any phone I’ve used. Especially now that I’ve spent more time playing with it. It nails high-contrast HDR situations, and night photos (especially city-scapes) are STUNNING. The camera UI could use a little polish though (so many options, often in not-too-intuitive places).

The video is also very good, even though I find the colours a bit over-saturated and would have like to see a Zeiss colour mode there too. Correcting what I said in my previous, in-depth comment on the camera, it IS possible to change lenses when recording video, but only in 1080p—not in 4K or 8K—and not with AI enhancement turned on.

Transition from one lense to another is smooth enough when zooming in/out, but as is to be expected, there are very noticeable quality losses at certain focal lengths, between lenses, when digital zoom is being applied:

• At 0.6X, with the ultra-wide, quality is fantastic for an UW lense. At 0.7X the drop in quality isn’t noticeable, but at 0.8 and 0.9X, the digital zoom on the wide-angle yields grainy, pixelated results.
    • Once it jumps to the main camera, quality is top-notch, and respectable up to about 1.3X (30% digital zoom factor); at 1.4X the footage is still quite (despite the 40% digital zoom factor), but from 1.5X to 1.9X… Quality drops exponentially until it switched to the “portrait lense” at 2X.
    • Quality is still very acceptable up to 3X, gradually decreasing until it switches to the 5X periscope.
    • From 5X to 7X the quality is still very good; from there to the 9Xish mark, it’s still acceptable. But beyond 10X….you can imagine.
    Overall, I’m pleased with the video too. Or would be, if it didn’t heat up so much. With a 1min video at 1080p, 30 fps, cpuss-0 jumped from 49º C to 62º C and the battery reached 44º C. Battery dropped 1%. After letting it cool down again to baseline (during which time it dropped another 1%), I tried a [email protected] 4k60fps, and surprisingly, cpuss-0 “only” reached 56º (maybe the A1+ chip was doing the heavy lifting?), the battery hit 43º C and again, 1% drop in battery level.

But in the 5’ since then, with the phone idle and screen off, it’s dropped another 4% and is still very warm to the touch. I’m guessing that’s Google photos uploading the videos in the background…but still, that’s a 7% drop in 10’, of which only 3’ were active use…

So, overall, the main reason I’m holding onto this phone is the camera—which I suspect is the deciding factor for anyone who buys this phone. As a camera, it excels; as a phone—despite the gorgeous display, fantastic ultrasonic fingerprint reader and nice-sounding speakers—it’s, in my experience, a fairly poor package, especially at its 1199€ price point; both from a HW standpoint (CPU & battery life) and a SW one (Not-too-smooth 120Hz implementation, small lags in the OS and certain apps, poor HW optimization, bugs and issues with notifications, etc.). Maybe SW updates will solve some of the issues. Or maybe the SD 8 Gen1 is beyond fixable...
    I share the same experience as you and i hope they can resolve it, the network drain seems to be the worst.
    I might exchange it in the future for a better device with at least SD8GEN1+ or Gen 2.
    How can they be sure that the next update will fix it?

Have you tried Vivo live chat as well?

You should direct them to this forum as well as they appear to take some notes.

I've got a new update on trial version that suppose to fix some lag and improve mobile data drain, just testing it but at least they do appear to try and solve those issues.

BATTERY LIFE:

OVERHEATING:

By the way, are you guys reporting bugs/things that need improving via the Vivo.com app > Support > Feedback? I think we should really make some noise and submit all of our complaints so that maybe they'll address them

Very good feedback mate, we need to forward all of this to vivo together and separately.

Camera is top-notch but the animations bugs, notifications and battery needs a major rework.

Idle drain is bad unless you're on airplane mode or use the phone all the time, it seems vivo kernel combined with android causing some issues.

Wish we could have more control on cpu power, likely to reduce it without forcing the phone going to power save mode and have all other effect on.

Let's forward all of this to vivo via live chat and the feedback app.

IMG-20220710-140351.jpg

IMG-20220710-140832.jpg

Ultra-wide, Vivo colour:

IMG-20220710-140828.jpg

Ultra-wide, Zeiss:

IMG-20220710-140832.jpg

2X zoom, Vivo:

IMG-20220710-140638.jpg

2X zoom, Zeiss:

IMG-20220710-140643.jpg

5X zoom, Vivo:

IMG-20220710-140654.jpg

5X zoom, Zeiss:

IMG-20220710-140659.jpg

What do you guys think?

That's a comprehensive report on the device, thank you for that.
    I myself coming from the mighty Mate 20 X and Mate 40 Pro and i have to say that there is NO Huawei replacement phone, not truly, they are legendary in all the possible ways, specially camera and battery life.
    About your X80 Pro, i think you got a lemon as the battery life are way poorer than it should be.
    While the battery life are not impressive at all( SD8GEN1 is the main culprit), you should be getting at least 3.5 to 4hr sot while remaining around the 50% mark.

Now, I believe there is a problem with network optimization, I've read the notes of the latest beta update, and they further optimized the network compatibility.

It would be helpful if you can submit your problems to vivo via live chat or the feedback program.
    This phone has the biggest potential to be the best on all terms, it is letdown by software, but it should be fixable.
    Just got the X80 Pro SD8G1 version and already got some nice updates as well as optinal updates(They call it Trial updates, though it acts like Beta).

On the first day, due to all the transferring I've done from mine legendary Mate 40 Pro, it got hot but not scorching hot.

The camera is SuperB as you've heard and seen thought the reviews, it's extremely versatile and the ISP is fast, yet again it did get hot but ever so slightly, nothing to worry about.

Battery is being tested so i don't have a conclusion yet, but it should be solid though probably nothing like iPhone 13 Pro Max or the Mate 20 X(best Android battery life EVER).

Speakers are very good but lacks some bass.

Overall performance are very solid and the charge speed is fast as hell.

Now, battery will get a hit over the year with heavy use and i'm unsure how this will unfold, but judging from my past you should not worry about it.

You'll have a blast with this phone, just wish it was bigger with bigger battery but well...
    At risk of going off-topic, what was it will the S22U that you didn't like?
    Mostly, the inconsistent camera. Sometimes photos would come up great, but sometimes they would be of a really disappointing quality for a flagship phone. And this even in perfect light conditions.
    Another issue was occasional lag / UI hiccups, even if situation improved a lot with updates and lag was mostly gone. Still, I'm positive that S21U which I had before S22U was more snappy.

Batt life was ok for me, somewhere around 6,5-7,5 hours SOT.

Also, I have the impression that device would overheat a lot in the summer. With outside temp around 28-30°C I already noticed some throttling.
    I had exynos version.

Other than that, it is a great device and I actually like OneUI experience a lot. Probably I would keep it till next year because, other than Vivo, I don't see anything appealing on the market right now. Ok, perhaps Oppo Find X5 pro, but this device has only 2x zoom camera and without OIS.