• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

External backup battery

Search This thread

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
I'm looking for a backup battery. Has anyone come across any that have enough juice to put a good charge on the nook? I know those little 400mah batteries can charge the nook but how long will 400mah last? I'm looking for something that can give it a 50%+ charge

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
The Zagg one would be perfect but its $100! I dont want to spend over $50 guess I should have said that.

I will look into the other one you posted thanks

EDIT: The energizer one looks great!! I am probably going to order one. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

markiejones

Dec 27, 2010
I didn't notice an amp output on the energizer. NC is looking for 1900 mA for proper charging. That first gizmo is dead perfect but 100 beans is a bit outside my budget too. I have a 4400 mah battery that does 1000 mA output- i wonder if that would add a few hours to my NC? I take very long flights often.

Sent from my Nookcolor

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
I didn't notice an amp output on the energizer. NC is looking for 1900 mA for proper charging. That first gizmo is dead perfect but 100 beans is a bit outside my budget too. I have a 4400 mah battery that does 1000 mA output- i wonder if that would add a few hours to my NC? I take very long flights often.

Sent from my Nookcolor

If I remember right The stock nook color charger is rated at 1.9A which is 1950mah. The energizer website lists the battery linked above as 1750mah which should work great.

markiejones

Dec 27, 2010
What is the recommended way to test the time-to-charge? There are two issues that I see in capturing this data.

1) You really shouldn't run the thing dry - I mean it won't even boot with the power adapter plugged in until it has a little juice in the battery. I suppose youl could to drain it to 25% then charge from there. Then add 25% to whatever your time-to-full is?

2) how can you tell how long this thing takes to charge if you're asleep. Is there a log file which gets updated with charging events? Or some specific app for such things?

RoboRay

Nov 25, 2010
I've been running my NC entirely from a Tekkeon MyPower MP3450 with the MP3450-10 add-on pack for two full days of heavy usage (probably around 18 hours or so of actual use) and the MyPower is only drained down half-way while keeping the NC topped off at 100%. I'll be back with an update in another couple of days when I expect it to be empty.

Edit: Yep, I got four days of heavy usage (probably equivalent to four full recharges of the NC) from the Tekkeon pack. I bought it to keep my laptop running on long flights, but it's nice to know I'll be able to read if the power goes out for a few days. :)

Last edited:

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
Will using a standard usb cable with these backup batteries still only charge at .5A? If I use the stock nc cable on the energizer battery linked above will it damage the battery?

Eascen

Mar 2, 2011
Have you looked at Monoprice? They have battery backups. I haven't personally ordered one of these (yet...need one for my evo) but I've ordered lots of stuff from them and everything has worked very well.

I have a version of one of those, works fine except it's hard to keep in place. If you get one, also get a M-F cable as well.

shaxs

Aug 16, 2010
I have a version of one of those, works fine except it's hard to keep in place. If you get one, also get a M-F cable as well.

Im finding it near impossible to find a USB 2.0 Micro-A male to Micro-AB female cord. Especially in a shorter length.

RoboRay

Nov 25, 2010
Im finding it near impossible to find a USB 2.0 Micro-A male to Micro-AB female cord. Especially in a shorter length.

When I bought mine, I just Googled "buy micro usb extension." I just did it again and found this in seconds...

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-mcb-ext-xxg.html

A Micro B male fits both Micro A and B female, which is why nobody bothers selling Micro A male cables... It would be less compatible with nothing to gain.

Last edited:

shaxs

Aug 16, 2010
When I bought mine, I just Googled "buy micro usb extension." I just did it again and found this in seconds...

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-mcb-ext-xxg.html

A Micro B male fits both Micro A and B female, which is why nobody bothers selling Micro A male cables... It would be less compatible with nothing to gain.

Thanks..I am surprised Monoprice doesnt carry it. Anywho, after shipping + cost of that cable + 2 x 2800 mAh, it was cheaper to buy the one from Amazon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This what you are looking for? That would get you about 1.5 charges.

This would give you about 1 charge.