External SD card mount point fix for kitkat roms

Search This thread

Cocolopes

Sep 29, 2010
Rosario
Please backup your SD card first...Im not responsable if you loose your data!

Well...I have some problems using apps like GoBackup or titanium backup...or EsFileExplorer in all the AOSP 4.4 roms.

I can see my external SD card and all the files but the apps search the files in:

mnt/media_rw/sdcard1/

When the files are in:

mnt/extSdCard/

So I tryed a lot of things like formating sd card....o trying to make some shortcut to the folder....but nothing work.

Now I found a way to make it work...its not complicated but is no permanent...at least not all the parts...

This are the steps to do it...maybe someone can make it permanent or change the permision directly in the new builds for now on.

1) Use a root file manager (I use EsFileExplorer) navigate to /etc/permissions/ and edit the file named as platform.xml

23hnew7.png

2) The file have to be like this:

4u6rz5.png

3) Now we need to give the right permissions to the folder, so, navigate to mnt/

2j4d15t.png

4) And set permissions like this:

23u3860.png

Thats all folks!...

Now...if you reboot the phone....you need to set the permissions again....step 3 and 4.

If someone can tell me how to make the permissions to be permanent....send me a PM!

Thanks.

Last edited:

codo2003

Jan 10, 2009
Thanks very much for this..

It works for me now all the way ever after rebooting the device..

I used the Root Explorer after rooting my note3.

Thanks again.

Rawand Kurdy

Jul 10, 2011
As Sulaymanyeah
www.rky.cu.cc
Advice: dont try this on Galaxy note3 Official kitkat for N9005 ,i tried it and of course app will be able to access external card but bluetooth wont turn on .
it may be just me but i wanted to let you guys know it. (i am reflashing the official kitkat)

Reactions: padre629

Arslan Manzoor

Apr 8, 2011
Karachi
Thanks very much for this..

It works for me now all the way ever after rebooting the device..

I used the Root Explorer after rooting my note3.

Thanks again.

Bro I'm following the steps properly but whenever I go to mnt folder to do the step it says operation failed whenever I set it to root and it doesn't let me save the edited text file. I edited the platform file but it says changes won't be saved.

Cocolopes

Sep 29, 2010
Rosario
could you just add a chmod line in the init script to overcome the reboot issue?

I dont lnow how to do that....but I dont use this anymore....all the 4.4.2 roms for Note2 are fixed...

Advice: dont try this on Galaxy note3 Official kitkat for N9005 ,i tried it and of course app will be able to access external card but bluetooth wont turn on .
it may be just me but i wanted to let you guys know it. (i am reflashing the official kitkat)

This is not for note 3...and this is not for official builds...

VTR1000SP

Jun 3, 2009
Singapore
I dont lnow how to do that....but I dont use this anymore....all the 4.4.2 roms for Note2 are fixed...

This is not for note 3...and this is not for official builds...

which region is ur note 3? cos my note 3 XSP official 4.4.2 still break, only using your method woks for me to write to ex sd card.

edited : sorry just saw u mention note 2...wonder y note 2 fixed but note 3 still break write to ex sd...

Cocolopes

Sep 29, 2010
Rosario
which region is ur note 3? cos my note 3 XSP official 4.4.2 still break, only using your method woks for me to write to ex sd card.

edited : sorry just saw u mention note 2...wonder y note 2 fixed but note 3 still break write to ex sd...

Note 2 dont have official tw 4.4.2 rom...only 4.4.2 AOSP roms. Im not a dev so I can help you...and I dont have a note 3 :(. Sorry

what do you mean by fix?

Now all the AOSP 4.4.2 roms I try in my NOTE 2 [n7100] have the problem solved...I dont need to do this any more. I talk to the devs and show my thread and they fix it. I can read/write my external sd card like in 4.3 roms...

henrik.dk

Jun 20, 2008
Interesting, how they could make the meida_rw to 777 in the ROM? I probably should ask the rom devs in s4 to get same fix in. Thanks.
Will ask
Note 2 dont have official tw 4.4.2 rom...only 4.4.2 AOSP roms. Im not a dev so I can help you...and I dont have a note 3 :(. Sorry

Now all the AOSP 4.4.2 roms I try in my NOTE 2 [n7100] have the problem solved...I dont need to do this any more. I talk to the devs and show my thread and they fix it. I can read/write my external sd card like in 4.3 roms...

Cocolopes

Sep 29, 2010
Rosario
do you mean that source code needs to be available for the dev to have a fix?
that is not so good news as s4 source is not release yet.

Are you talking about Official TW 4.4.2 rom for S4?

I say this for the last time...this is only for AOSP 4.4.2 roms....like CM11 omnirom....I dont want to be an a$$ but please read the OP. You can brick your phone or something if you dont read and make this in TW roms...(I dont know that....but Im not responsable if that happend).

Nov 4, 2012
Internal SD Card read only?!

Hi all, I'm not hugely au fait with modding my n7100, and have been running version of the Revolution HD rom for the last 12 months (without issue).

I decided to see what the new ROMS had to offer, and went with CM10.2 (one of the latest nighly builds).

My Android Version is: 4.3.1
Baseband: N7100XXDLK7
Kernel: 3.0.64-CM-gb4c422f
CyanogenMod Version: 10.2-20140126-NIGHTLY-n7100
Build Number: cm_n7100-userdebug 4.3.1 JLS36I 3eb33f45a6

The reason I'm posting here is because my internal SD card (storage/emulated/legacy) appears to now be read-only. I can install apps, but I can no longer download to that location, can't move files within that location, and apps like SwiftKey (with it's user dictionaries) don't work properly because the user language file can't be loaded. I'm also having no success restoring data and apps using Titanium Back up Pro.

I've tried updating the platform.xml file (using a root file explorer), however as I don't appear to have a media_rw folder, I don't think the update applies, and is certainly doesn't work.

I'm somewhat confused, as I though this permissions issue was a result of a 4.4 rom being flashed.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

plskillme

Jan 16, 2011
I can't seem to save or overwrite the 'platform.xml' by any means.

I don't even have that dir '/mnt/media_rw/'

TiedCone

Nov 1, 2012
I was looking for fix of this issue as well...

but having a problem to keep changed media_rw permissions and owner after reboot. Any clue how to fix this?

plskillme

Jan 16, 2011
I was looking for fix of this issue as well...

but having a problem to keep changed media_rw permissions and owner after reboot. Any clue how to fix this?

It's a recurring problem after every phone reboot. Sadly, there's no other way around it. The only fix I came upon is that you backup your files that are on your sd card to pc via card reader, format the sd card on your N7100 after the backup process, flash a new rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please backup your SD card first...Im not responsable if you loose your data!

Well...I have some problems using apps like GoBackup or titanium backup...or EsFileExplorer in all the AOSP 4.4 roms.

I can see my external SD card and all the files but the apps search the files in:

mnt/media_rw/sdcard1/

When the files are in:

mnt/extSdCard/

So I tryed a lot of things like formating sd card....o trying to make some shortcut to the folder....but nothing work.

Now I found a way to make it work...its not complicated but is no permanent...at least not all the parts...

This are the steps to do it...maybe someone can make it permanent or change the permision directly in the new builds for now on.

1) Use a root file manager (I use EsFileExplorer) navigate to /etc/permissions/ and edit the file named as platform.xml

23hnew7.png

2) The file have to be like this:

4u6rz5.png

3) Now we need to give the right permissions to the folder, so, navigate to mnt/

2j4d15t.png

4) And set permissions like this:

23u3860.png

Thats all folks!...

Now...if you reboot the phone....you need to set the permissions again....step 3 and 4.

If someone can tell me how to make the permissions to be permanent....send me a PM!

Thanks.
    Cocolopes - Thank you very much for this help. I thought you might like to know, that I followed your steps on a (Rooted – Kit Kat 4.4.2) Samsung Galaxy S4 and it works. Now I’m able to back up my data to extSdCard using My Backup Pro and Titanium Backup Pro. I wonder if I’m able to move my apps to extSdCard as well. I move to move as mush apps/data I can to improve phone performance. I need to try it. BTW, tu eres Boricua?

Sabor y Gracias!

Thanks...I think that you need to implement the apps to sd card feature in the rom (and I dont know how to do it).

And Im not Boricua (I dont know what that mean....sorry).

Saludos

Enviado desde mi GT-N7100 mediante Tapatalk

Well u can add it in your ramdisk. Add this line to init.rc

Code:
    chown root root /mnt/media_rw

This should do the job :)

Cheers,
    AJ