[External sd card][write acces fix]

Search This thread

kulvertti

Dec 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
This is easy fix or more like workaround for KitKat and Lollipop firmwares when some of your apps can´t write to external sd card. It add one line to "platform.xml" file. This is flashable zip -file via custom recovery. It can also be installed manually by unzipping file, moving it to correct folder and setting permissions to 644 and reboot.
Backup is recommended.

Attachments

• ExternalSdCardPermissionFix-signed.zip
    142 KB · Views: 688
  • ExternalSdCardPermissionToOriginal-signed.zip
    142 KB · Views: 304

RJASSI21

Oct 20, 2013
I flashed the first zip and I still get error when trying to play hearthstone while its on my external SD card

Sent from my SGP511 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1432404428758.jpg
    1432404428758.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 642

RJASSI21

Oct 20, 2013
This is easy fix or more like workaround for KitKat and Lollipop firmwares when some of your apps can´t write to external sd card. It add one line to "platform.xml" file. This is flashable zip -file via custom recovery. It can also be installed manually by unzipping file, moving it to correct folder and setting permissions to 644 and reboot.
Backup is recommended.

Do you have any idea why I still get this error?

kulvertti

Dec 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Do you have any idea why I still get this error?
Sorry for the late answer. How much do you have free space? Do you have problems with other apps too?
You could try with this app to move game data to external sd card: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount
However I try that game and it install its data just fine to mine external sd card without any help of FolderMount -app. If we really want to know what is wrong we need logcat.

Reactions: RJASSI21

RJASSI21

Oct 20, 2013
Sorry for the late answer. How much do you have free space? Do you have problems with other apps too?
You could try with this app to move game data to external sd card: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount
However I try that game and it install its data just fine to mine external sd card without any help of FolderMount -app. If we really want to know what is wrong we need logcat.

Hmm well I found out that some how a copy of my whole sdcard 0 was made so I was low on space but my external SD cards has like 25gb free I don't get the error on my z2 phone but I did at one point then it just went I think it was after an update of the game my friend had the same error on his s5 so I'm not sure what it could be but I checked to see if the flash was successful and it was since that new line is there now I'll try that app but if nothing I'll provide a logcat and I've copied normal games that are like 100mb I'll try download mortal kombat and see if it occurs with that thanks for the reply

Edit: I tried the foldermount app but it didn't work so I'll try a logcat I'll try reinstalling the app first
Tried reinstalling no good so time for a logcat

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Here's the logcat

https://mega.co.nz/#!jlwHDaRK!1ctNeMaLwVkTIQs_I6nBvTrkU72crwl1r0MjoxonNUg

Last edited:

kulvertti

Dec 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hmm well I found out that some how a copy of my whole sdcard 0 was made so I was low on space but my external SD cards has like 25gb free I don't get the error on my z2 phone but I did at one point then it just went I think it was after an update of the game my friend had the same error on his s5 so I'm not sure what it could be but I checked to see if the flash was successful and it was since that new line is there now I'll try that app but if nothing I'll provide a logcat and I've copied normal games that are like 100mb I'll try download mortal kombat and see if it occurs with that thanks for the reply

Edit: I tried the foldermount app but it didn't work so I'll try a logcat I'll try reinstalling the app first
Tried reinstalling no good so time for a logcat

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Here's the logcat

https://mega.co.nz/#!jlwHDaRK!1ctNeMaLwVkTIQs_I6nBvTrkU72crwl1r0MjoxonNUg

My best bet is that even installed on externad sd card this game need much free space from your internal memory (around 1 gb). You can reduce that with FolderMount app (which is little tricky to use) but you need to install the game first before you can do that. So remove (or delete) whatever stuff from internal memory to your external sd card, install the game and it should work just fine.

RJASSI21

Oct 20, 2013
My best bet is that even installed on externad sd card this game need much free space from your internal memory (around 1 gb). You can reduce that with FolderMount app (which is little tricky to use) but you need to install the game first before you can do that. So remove (or delete) whatever stuff from internal memory to your external sd card, install the game and it should work just fine.

Hmm I tried that I have like 4gb on internal and 25gb on external free that didn't work so I'll have to figure something out

RJASSI21

Oct 20, 2013
I clean installed my rom in the end it solved my problem and I was able to use your mod with no probs thanks

m4rc3l1n0

Mar 21, 2008
CM12.1 nightly 20160203 cannot detect 64GB microSD

Hi guys
I just installed Cyanogen OS CM12.1 nightly 20160203 to my Xperia Z2 tablet SGP521 (the one with LTE)
after i thinkering with it for a while, i just realized that there isn't any microSD installed
so i pulled out the card and try to figure out what is wrong
I googled and find some answers but none of them is working for me
I tried to change the filesystem format to FAT32 with 3 different programs (acronis disk director, ease us partition magic, and dos version formater) and none of them is working.
my card is a exFAT file system
I'm very sure that my card is not a fake one (it is a sandisk ultra 64 gb microsdxc class 1)
I can read it from the card reader and it shows all the files inside but i cannot write to it and it not showing in my tablet
Any solutions to this ?

kulvertti

Dec 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hi guys
I just installed Cyanogen OS CM12.1 nightly 20160203 to my Xperia Z2 tablet SGP521 (the one with LTE)
after i thinkering with it for a while, i just realized that there isn't any microSD installed
so i pulled out the card and try to figure out what is wrong
I googled and find some answers but none of them is working for me
I tried to change the filesystem format to FAT32 with 3 different programs (acronis disk director, ease us partition magic, and dos version formater) and none of them is working.
my card is a exFAT file system
I'm very sure that my card is not a fake one (it is a sandisk ultra 64 gb microsdxc class 1)
I can read it from the card reader and it shows all the files inside but i cannot write to it and it not showing in my tablet
Any solutions to this ?
Sorry to hear. You can try to write your sdcard with other card reader but your symptoms indicate that your card might be dying. Known issue with SanDisk cards.

saf4xdadev

Mar 14, 2013
Space Coast
Backup is recommended.

I know this is very old thread but I had to reactivate my old Z2 tablet and I got a few questions and I know you're the expert on this tablet around here. These questions are close to topic so I think ok to reply here I hope. This was my wifes tablet for very short period before she stuck it in a drawer and left it many years ago. I have the rooted .291 MM firmware and I believe that's the latest for this tablet. Anyway, I can't access an sd card or usb stick thru the micro usb host adapter. The internal micro sd card slot works fine so either I've already edited the platform.xml or don't need to for MM I can't remember and I can't even remember where to find the file to check it. My root explorers can see the usb host drive but then show nothing inside. I've tried dozens of cards and sticks and the host cable works fine on my samsung galaxy s7 phone. Is there a setting I'm missing or does the z2 tablet just not able to use host usb. Thanks for any help.

kulvertti

Dec 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I know this is very old thread but I had to reactivate my old Z2 tablet and I got a few questions and I know you're the expert on this tablet around here. These questions are close to topic so I think ok to reply here I hope. This was my wifes tablet for very short period before she stuck it in a drawer and left it many years ago. I have the rooted .291 MM firmware and I believe that's the latest for this tablet. Anyway, I can't access an sd card or usb stick thru the micro usb host adapter. The internal micro sd card slot works fine so either I've already edited the platform.xml or don't need to for MM I can't remember and I can't even remember where to find the file to check it. My root explorers can see the usb host drive but then show nothing inside. I've tried dozens of cards and sticks and the host cable works fine on my samsung galaxy s7 phone. Is there a setting I'm missing or does the z2 tablet just not able to use host usb. Thanks for any help.
If I understand correctly what you are trying to do, Z2 tablet dosen´t support USB OTG to connect external flash drives or hard drives. How ever if you install program like "USB Media Explorer" or similar from Play Store, it should work. Even for NTFS volumes with "Microsoft NTFS USB Driver by Paragon Sofware". Hope this answer your question.

saf4xdadev

Mar 14, 2013
Space Coast
If I understand correctly what you are trying to do, Z2 tablet dosen´t support USB OTG to connect external flash drives or hard drives. How ever if you install program like "USB Media Explorer" or similar from Play Store, it should work. Even for NTFS volumes with "Microsoft NTFS USB Driver by Paragon Sofware". Hope this answer your question.

Thanks kulvertti for replying to this old thread, but no go on the media explorer. So now I've tried about 12 file managers and explorers and most of them with superuser access and most all of them can see the external usb drive, but they can't access it....it just shows basically nothing when opened. Strangest thing ever! 'File Commander' is closest one so far to work, but what it does when I click on the drive is say I need to enable some permissions, which I can't find anywhere, and when I say 'ok' it opens the drive and shows the folders and files in some sort of internal popup window, but then I can't open any of the actual files on the drive shown in that window. So it turns out to be useless as well. I don't think it's an MM problem as my samsung galaxy s7 phone has the same software....android 6.0.1 so exactly same, pretty old I know. I think it must be sony limitation maybe??? Thanks again for the help though.

kulvertti

Dec 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks kulvertti for replying to this old thread, but no go on the media explorer. So now I've tried about 12 file managers and explorers and most of them with superuser access and most all of them can see the external usb drive, but they can't access it....it just shows basically nothing when opened. Strangest thing ever! 'File Commander' is closest one so far to work, but what it does when I click on the drive is say I need to enable some permissions, which I can't find anywhere, and when I say 'ok' it opens the drive and shows the folders and files in some sort of internal popup window, but then I can't open any of the actual files on the drive shown in that window. So it turns out to be useless as well. I don't think it's an MM problem as my samsung galaxy s7 phone has the same software....android 6.0.1 so exactly same, pretty old I know. I think it must be sony limitation maybe??? Thanks again for the help though.
That's weird. You sure you give apps correct permissions? For me those apps work just fine.

saf4xdadev

Mar 14, 2013
Space Coast
Yes it does seem like a permissions thing but all those apps have permission to storage and that's all I can find to give them anyway, besides root which only several of them request superuser. I think I used to have this problem with some apps back in the day just trying to access internal 2nd microsd card but it was always a permission wasn't activated when installed, but this is something different because these file manager apps can see the external drive but cant see or access any files, it just shows blank. It does seem like its just a setting though. Do I need to add this platform.xml for MM .291, I didn't think I did but maybe?

Just to double check....you can stick a microusb cable with a female regular usb on other end....otg cable I think they're called, into the top slot on tablet and then connect the female end to a usb thumb drive with movies or music and access it thru these file managers and play the content?

Wish I could....It would be much easier and more flexible switching between media content.

Thanks again for your help.

kulvertti

Dec 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Yes it does seem like a permissions thing but all those apps have permission to storage and that's all I can find to give them anyway, besides root which only several of them request superuser. I think I used to have this problem with some apps back in the day just trying to access internal 2nd microsd card but it was always a permission wasn't activated when installed, but this is something different because these file manager apps can see the external drive but cant see or access any files, it just shows blank. It does seem like its just a setting though. Do I need to add this platform.xml for MM .291, I didn't think I did but maybe?

Just to double check....you can stick a microusb cable with a female regular usb on other end....otg cable I think they're called, into the top slot on tablet and then connect the female end to a usb thumb drive with movies or music and access it thru these file managers and play the content?

Wish I could....It would be much easier and more flexible switching between media content.

Thanks again for your help.
Sorry to hear. At the moment I have pure stock firmware without root or TWRP. For me usb otg work just fine as you discribe without anything else than mentioned app. Whish I could help more but I can't rebroduce the problem.

saf4xdadev

Mar 14, 2013
Space Coast
Sorry to hear. At the moment I have pure stock firmware without root or TWRP. For me usb otg work just fine as you discribe without anything else than mentioned app. Whish I could help more but I can't rebroduce the problem.
No worries...at least i can use the microsd card slot on the top of the tablet to store and switch up content. I just have a lot of thumb drives and full size sd cards to use so i thought otg was way to go and also the way i used my tablet s, now broken, when traveling. I also didnt want to purchase any microsd cards if i didnt need to. Thanks again though.

saf4xdadev

Mar 14, 2013
Space Coast
Sorry to hear. At the moment I have pure stock firmware without root or TWRP. For me usb otg work just fine as you describe without anything else than mentioned app. Wish I could help more but I can't reproduce the problem.

Sorry to bother again kulvertti but I made a minor break thru....I discovered that if I go into Settings/Storage I can see all three drives on the Z2 tablet. The main internal drive, the microsd card slot drive, and now I also see the microusb otg cable to usb thumb drive drive.....the missing drive if that makes sense. I can also play the content on each drive with whatever app I choose, including video files off the OTG....directly from the Settings/Storage. So something is very close, but still can't get these various file explorers to work. I have ESfile explorer pro, File Commander, The OTG file manager you recommended, root essentials, root explorer, etc....Plus basically none of my apps can use the otg drive, like utorrent, titanium backup, quikedit, etc....to name a few....they can all see the drive, they just cant access it. It's like a null drive. It shows empty.

Although one other thing about File Commander.....it show the drive, but basically empty, and when I click it a little hint window pops up telling me to 'please choose the root directory of your storage (or external SD card) to grant permissions to operate'......and then there is four little pictures with red circled items and red text explaining what I'm suppose to do, which takes a magnifying glass to read, but then I have none of those items it shows in any of my apps to do that from, not even in the settings do I see those picks anywhere, etc....

It's got to be something simple I think. Somethings just not set correctly. What the hell could it be?

If you can think of anything please do, I appreciate the help. Thanks again.

kulvertti

Dec 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to bother again kulvertti but I made a minor break thru....I discovered that if I go into Settings/Storage I can see all three drives on the Z2 tablet. The main internal drive, the microsd card slot drive, and now I also see the microusb otg cable to usb thumb drive drive.....the missing drive if that makes sense. I can also play the content on each drive with whatever app I choose, including video files off the OTG....directly from the Settings/Storage. So something is very close, but still can't get these various file explorers to work. I have ESfile explorer pro, File Commander, The OTG file manager you recommended, root essentials, root explorer, etc....Plus basically none of my apps can use the otg drive, like utorrent, titanium backup, quikedit, etc....to name a few....they can all see the drive, they just cant access it. It's like a null drive. It shows empty.

Although one other thing about File Commander.....it show the drive, but basically empty, and when I click it a little hint window pops up telling me to 'please choose the root directory of your storage (or external SD card) to grant permissions to operate'......and then there is four little pictures with red circled items and red text explaining what I'm suppose to do, which takes a magnifying glass to read, but then I have none of those items it shows in any of my apps to do that from, not even in the settings do I see those picks anywhere, etc....

It's got to be something simple I think. Somethings just not set correctly. What the hell could it be?

If you can think of anything please do, I appreciate the help. Thanks again.
Sorry for the late reply. It's summer vacation time and I am not beeing at home. But your question. I'm using "X-plore" file explorer and with mentioned apps it's working just fine. I can do what ever I want to with files on usb drive.

Top Liked Posts