• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Is the latest magisk module working for you V4.2 ?

• Does it create external sd in root dir

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Does it provide ntfs & exfat support for sdcard

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Does it provide ntfs & exfat support for usbotg

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Are new apps installing to external storage now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everything seems to work well

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Doesn't work for me

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

briank6932

Apr 5, 2017
@Ziona Hey, so I know I'm an idiot and didn't backup my device beforehand, but I attempted to install 5.0, and once I rebooted I was hit with, "Cannot load Android System. Your data may be corrupt.", and no matter how many boot cycles I attempt, I can't boot. I tried to re-flash some imgs, reinstall the OTA, etc, but I can't figure out how to fix it. I really don't wanna reset to factory, so any help would be appreciated.

Just as a reference point, I did attempt to install 4.4, and it didn't work successfully, the best success I had was with your fs-binaries-updated.zip weirdly enough. It would give me exFAT support in the files app only, but wouldn't work with solid explorer for whatever reason, and I could only access the storage devices on the notification prompt, I couldn't re-acceAttach filesss them afterwards.

Phone: Essential PH-1
Bootloader: Unlocked
ROM Version (Stock ROM): QQ1A.200105.032 (February 2020)
Kernel: ElementalX 4.12
Root: Magisk 22.0
Recovery: Stock (TWRP doesn't really install well on this ROM version)

Last edited:

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
@Ziona Hey, so I know I'm an idiot and didn't backup my device beforehand, but I attempted to install 5.0, and once I rebooted I was hit with, "Cannot load Android System. Your data may be corrupt.", and no matter how many boot cycles I attempt, I can't boot. I tried to re-flash some imgs, reinstall the OTA, etc, but I can't figure out how to fix it. I really don't wanna reset to factory, so any help would be appreciated.

Just as a reference point, I did attempt to install 4.4, and it didn't work successfully, the best success I had was with your fs-binaries-updated.zip weirdly enough. It would give me exFAT support in the files app only, but wouldn't work with solid explorer for whatever reason, and I could only access the storage devices on the notification prompt, I couldn't re-acceAttach filesss them afterwards.

Sorry was very busy, did you get this sorted out?
What options did you choose when you installed v5.0?
Normally if any problems come from a magisk module on boot you need twrp install to disable it.

What android version are you on?

briank6932

Apr 5, 2017
Sorry was very busy, did you get this sorted out?
What options did you choose when you installed v5.0?
Normally if any problems come from a magisk module on boot you need twrp install to disable it.

What android version are you on?
@Ziona Yea I would use TWRP if I could, the patch I'm on doesn't really have very good support, I'm on android 10(Q). I think I'm going to try to modify a magisk boot.img to core-only mode, it's possible, but seems really annoying

briank6932

Apr 5, 2017
Ok, I managed to get TWRP working (required flashing an older abl.img), however, I still can't figure out how to circumvent the bootloop and get to my ROM, @Ziona are there any residual files left over that could trip a bootloop or something? I have magisk running core-only, and can't boot on stock boot.img either.

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
Ok, I managed to get TWRP working (required flashing an older abl.img), however, I still can't figure out how to circumvent the bootloop and get to my ROM, @Ziona are there any residual files left over that could trip a bootloop or something? I have magisk running core-only, and can't boot on stock boot.img either.
What options did you choose during the install like eg.. (custom vold) ? Can't you also just dirty flash the ROM again via twrp (to preserve your data). More info pls .

Last edited:

Heavy-MatIll

Feb 5, 2011
Hi there,
Love the idea of using this to read exfat SD cards from via USB-c card reader.

However Installation fails.
Device: Redmi Note 7
Rom: MIUI 12.0.1
Android: 10 QKQ1

Tried it with 4.6 and 5.0, see attached logs. Any idea why it fails?

Attachments

• magisk_install_log_2021-06-19T23:06:40Z.log
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
  • magisk_install_log_2021-06-19T22:51:49Z.log
    4.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_2021-06-19-22-55-42-523_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-19-22-55-42-523_com.android.settings.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 5

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
Hi there,
Love the idea of using this to read exfat SD cards from via USB-c card reader.

However Installation fails.
Device: Redmi Note 7
Rom: MIUI 12.0.1
Android: 10 QKQ1

Tried it with 4.6 and 5.0, see attached logs. Any idea why it fails?
Try not choosing ((boot.img patch)) & ((custom vold)) during install it's not necessary to pick yes to all options at once.

Heavy-MatIll

Feb 5, 2011
Tried it with an old version (think 20.? Where Manager was still called manager.apk) first, later updated to 23. No difference in the result.

However disabling (boot.img patch) option did the trick with installing ( Log).

After reboot I noticed /mnt/sdcard1 now being accessible (which it was not, before this patch).
However it points to my extsd path which was always available at /mnt/media_rw/xxxx-xxxx and storage/xxxx-xxxx.

After plugging in exfat usb drive, it is automatically mounted by android system, tried it with 2 thumb drives and a card reader.

It did not work with ntfs usb drive. Android system recognizes, that usb has been attached but says there was an error with the storage and it needs formatting. It does work with Microsoft Paragon app and Total commander usb-plug in. However those tools do not give a regular link in mnt/media_rw or /storage/ (which is what i am looking for).

Anything i can do to fix that?

Last edited:

briank6932

Apr 5, 2017
@Ziona
What options did you choose during the install like eg.. (custom vold) ? Can't you also just dirty flash the ROM again via twrp (to preserve your data). More info pls .
It's been a while since I installed, so I don't fully remember, but I believe it was custom vold, is there an installation log file? I tried to flash the ROM imgs via TWRP and through fastboot, even OTAs under stock recovery don't work, I still ended up with the same problem, "Cannot load Android System. Your data may be corrupt." I also tried to mount system via TWRP, and that wasn't working for whatever reason, is it possible that is related?

Last edited:

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
Tried it with an old version (think 20.? Where Manager was still called manager.apk) first, later updated to 23. No difference in the result.

After reboot I noticed /mnt/sdcard1 now being accessible (which it was not, before this patch).
However it points to my extsd path which was always available at /mnt/media_rw/xxxx-xxxx and storage/xxxx-xxxx.

After plugging in exfat usb drive, it is automatically mounted by android system, tried it with 2 thumb drives and a card reader.

It did not work with ntfs usb drive. Android system recognizes, that usb has been attached but says there was an error with the storage and it needs formatting. It does work with Microsoft Paragon app and Total commander usb-plug in. However those tools do not give a regular link in mnt/media_rw or /storage/ (which is what i am looking for).

Anything i can do to fix

Anything i can do to fix that?
Have you tried using version 5.0 I uploaded for testing pages back?

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
@Ziona

It's been a while since I installed, so I don't fully remember, but I believe it was custom vold, is there an installation log file? I tried to flash the ROM imgs via TWRP and through fastboot, even OTAs under stock recovery don't work, I still ended up with the same problem, "Cannot load Android System. Your data may be corrupt." I also tried to mount system via TWRP, and that wasn't working for whatever reason, is it possible that is related?
Magisk module Install log should been saved in internal storage (root) or in download folder depending upon version. If data is corrupted somehow an you cant mount it or system partition with twrp. You may need to format an then clean install the rom again. Hopefully you backup before modifying anything

Last edited:

Heavy-MatIll

Feb 5, 2011
Have you tried using version 5.0 I uploaded for testing pages back?
5.0 is the one that I am using. I was able to make it work with exfat by formatting sdcard on windows pc. previously I let the camera do the job. This way exfat works flawlessly with both USB drive and sdcard in otg reader.

Ntfs is not such a big deal, I figured out a way to set all my systems to exfat.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Ziona

Heavy-MatIll

Feb 5, 2011
I only noticed now that calls do not work anymore.
I get an error about no accounts for calls being available. Calling was possible again after disabling the module. I tried with both 5.0 and 4.4, same results. The symptoms are similar to a problem acc magisk module had: Acc github issue

Does this have anything to do with the install options? I attached the install log when I tried it with 4.4

Attachments

• magisk_install_log_2021-06-21T00:16:19Z.log
    4.4 KB · Views: 2

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
I only noticed now that calls do not work anymore.
I get an error about no accounts for calls being available. Calling was possible again after disabling the module. I tried with both 5.0 and 4.4, same results. The symptoms are similar to a problem acc magisk module had: Acc github issue

Does this have anything to do with the install options? I attached the install log when I tried it with 4.4
First ive heard of this issue will have to maybe looking into it. Install log seems basically fine , could you try installing it using just one option.

first option :
SD-Link

If issues then try just option :
ntfs & exfat binaries

fully uninstall module before each check.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    External sdcard rw permission enabler plus extras
    robot-4809182_1280.jpg

The latest magisk modules v4.4 & ( v5.0 located page #7 ) is for Android 6 to 11 . Providing External Sdcard write access permissions, It can add quick access links in root directory to your external sdcard. Works on single or multiple partition sdcard filesystem's.

Adds ntfs support to most devices from Android 6 to 10 , an including exfat support from Android 6 to 8. Supports usbotg for Android 6 up on compatible devices.

All sdcard & otg mounting an symlinks methods are technically unique an first of their kind here. No one else cared enough to put in the time needed to add this back to android after removed from Marshmallow an above . So it takes great effort to find universal techniques for most/all devices.
    So devices configurations will vary.

READ BELOW LOOK FOR LATEST UPDATES.
    Some Info

Dual linkage from the system storage and media_rw directories.
    Links are made to root dir & mnt dir.

Link 1 in root - external_sd
    Link 2 in mnt - sdcard1

Both links utilize external read & write permission for access by apps requested.

Example
    Titanium backup can use both these points for storage access for backups to sdcards.

NOT FOR USE WITH ADOPTABLE STORAGE SDCARD SETUP

INSTALL

Flash zip in recovery an reboot.
    Magisk module users v4.1 an above flash in magisk.

If using v4.2 up uninstall module before updating versions or if re-flashing module again when option for ntfs & exfat support are chosen.

If using v4.4 , uninstall an install is supported in both magisk manager and recovery.

Note

init.d support or magisk is needed
    First zip uses init.d support.
    Second zip v4 an higher uses magisk support.

Some apps may need you to grant them access to external storage, others may ask to direct them to the path which can easily be found rite in root folder and also mnt folder - ( this is found in root folder. )

Locations example
    Path in root directory are :
    /external_sd
    /mnt/sdcard1
    /usbotg
    /mnt/usbotg

Some devices may only support one location for their external sdcard in /storage because their is no /mnt/media_rw folder. Module will detect the correct available location to create dual symlinks.

Volume Deamon info:
    What is vold (Volume Daemon) that most Android OS support , why this module uses a custom type when selected (vold posix) option on install ;
    http://strayinsights.blogspot.com/2018/05/android-external-storage-support-volume.html?m=1

####### UPDATED #######

LATEST UPDATE , V4.4 - FOR MAGISK USER

# AUTO INSTALL #

-External Sdcard access
    -Permissive on install
    -Sepolicy patches on install

Some changes below;

:Note for custom vold only (vold posix option when using boot patch):

Best success for using custom vold will be achieved in recovery mode install .
    For devices that supports vold an sdcard binaries only, this is auto checked when vold posix is selected .

# Change log: v4.4

.added support for recovery install an uninstall of module.

.added custom vold safety protection auto uninstall on failure to fully boot.

added full driver support from Android 6 to 10 , for both the 32 & 64 bit variety.

.added additional upgrades to sdcard an usbotg mount & symlinks methods .

.added additional configurations for write access to devices on Android 11 OS.

.added options to choose internel or external app install location for supporting devices.

.added usbotg symlinks an direct folder support in root dir.

.added some other big systematic changes to setup.

.added full uninstall module an boot image patch by re flashing module if installed.

LATEST UPDATE , V4.3 - FOR MAGISK USER

# AUTO INSTALL #

-Permissive on install

NOTE:
    Use Boot Patch if module didn't work for you with SD link option.
    Warning make or have a backup of your ROM to flash if you use custom vold option.

What does vold do? It's the core mount management for most Android devices that mounts internal , external & usb/otg storage devices. Custom vold adds the custom binaries that most non custom rom lacks for mounting ntfs sdcards an otg storage devices. Do to the nature of how it works for full reasons unknown when changing vold binary its a 10℅ chance the device may decide not to full boot an need to be dirty flash to restore start up. So still try with caution .

# Many upgrades some added changes are below #

# Change log: v4.3
    .added newer sdcard an usbotg mount & symlinks methods .

.added additional configurations for write access to devices that dont have even basic setups.

.added back options to choose busybox on install only if wanted.

.added some other systematic changes.

How does this module work ? Some more info can be found here
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83054737&postcount=76

UPDATE , V4.2 - FOR MAGISK USER

# AUTO INSTALL #

-Permissive on install
    -Modded busybox on install
    -Apps install location set to external storage

NOTE:
    Use Boot Patch an also try it with the custom vold options if module didn't work for you with SD link option. V4.2 only

# Many upgrades some added changes are below #

# Change log: v4.2

.added new latest magisk install template with selection.

.added advance techniques for sdcard symlinks - Optional

.added custom boot.img patch if symlinks failed to create in root - Optional

.added custom vold binary for some devices on Android 6-9 - Optional

.added ntfs & exfat full support for Mediatek devices, also qcom support in Android 8-9 64bit only - Optional

.added mounting & symlinks support for multiple partitions on sdcards, all links & folders made in root. Exfat, Vfat, Ntfs, Ext4 & ( F2fs if kernel supported )

.added usbotg ntfs & exfat mount support on boot.

.added install & uninstall options in magisk manager when flashing zip to undo any changes.

How does this module work ? Some more info can be found here
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83054737&postcount=76

UPDATE , V4.1 - FOR MAGISK USER

INSTALL

Within Magisk Manager App ONLY {Not Recovery}

In the Modules Tab using the yellow plus sign button at bottom of modules tab , locate where you download an saved this zip (downloads folder most likely).
    NOTE
    When installing Follow the on srceen instructions , volume key check should be selected quickly on startup test or installer will exit. (Will just have to restart installer if so)

Info
    -System remounted RW
    -Provides full Permissive mode -Optional
    -Provides Invert back Selinux Enforcing mode -Optional
    -Sepolicy internal & external sdcard Platform.xml patch for rw permissions to system files & directories on some devices
    -Provides app backup access write permissions an quicker access to external_sd mounted in root dir.
    -Example.. titanium backup can use external sdcard link in root folder or /mnt/sdcard1 to store backup files..
    -Custom Magisk installer
    -Custom modded busybox -Optional
    -Custom Ext.sdcard dual mounts -Optional
    -Can be used alone with only write sdcard access installed systemless
    -Systemless altering (patching) of files .

Custom install selection v4.1 options
    -Choose android version on install to select custom sepolicy injection on boot.
    -Choose Permissive on install
    -Choose Selinux Enforcing on install
    -Choose None to leave selinux as is on install
    -Choose Modded app2sd busybox on install
    -Choose Symlink Dual ExternalSD on install

-ExternalSD write access by default on install , can run it standalone if no other options are selected.

-Any Options install will be listed in magisk within module tab.
    Uninstall or disable ExternalSD module within Magisk module tab or custom recovery.

# After first beta version 4 lagacy install for Magisk.

# Change log: v4.1
    - New Template install.
    .added new latest magisk install template with selection.

.added sepolicy patch - Android version - Optional install.

.added permissive mode - Optional install.

.added busybox modded app2sd version -Optional install.

.added sdmount for symlinks - Optional install.

.added external Sd write access enabler' Standalone mode - if no options selected on install.

.script - adjustments in post-fs-data.sh for file backups, file sed an patching.

.script - adjustments in sdmount.sh for better mounting & optimized bootcomplete start execution for creating symlinks & automatic file deletion on magisk module removal.

Update v4.1
    # first magisk module build date;
    11/04/2020

Uninstall - For older Magisk v4 & init.d support installs

Flash first top zip again once to remove mod with init.d support
    Flash bottom v4 magisk uninstall for magisk .

Disclaimer
    You choose to install anything on your devices the decision is always your , xda is not responsible for your actions on your device & either am i, if you have doubt about something ask questions about it first.

Latest Updated (04/10/2020)
    Including Latest Magisk support, version v4.4

Thanks to :
    @Techguy777 for helping with testing device compatibility.

Hopefully you find this useful.

Please Give Your Feed Back!
    It takes devs time to create mods for You but it take nothing for You to hit LIKE BUTTON!! ?

Report errors to developers we cant know if to continue updates or to correct anything we don't read minds

NEED HELP PERSONALLY:
    Telegram - https://t.me/Ziona242

Let me know which device it doesn't work for
    Confirmed! Working like a charm!

Btw, Can u add another symlink for usb otg at /root please?

Sent from my TECNO CX Air using Tapatalk
    Confirmed! Working like a charm!

Btw, Can u add another symlink for usb otg at /root please?

Sent from my TECNO CX Air using Tapatalk

Ok get back to you later today,i may make that for u or just roll it out next release, the way it is now great but i made to additional methods to detect external sd sources , seem like no one else wanted the challenge after Marshmallow changed the whole game on how to find an use sdcard resources. The new install added a nice touch too lol , (YouTube) hit that like button to subscribe haha
    I agree no one after marshmallow really worked on anything to get Extsd card support working for apps. There is one but you need to use edxposed xinternalsd also. I think this is great Im using on my S6 tablet on android pie. I wish you would add android Q support but its great to see you doing this project. Thanks

Thx, am bout to release v4.2 newest for magisk. I left out Q because am not sure how it works yet i dnt have a Android 10 device to test on yet.
    If someone willing to test i may remove the install limit to allow its installing for Q.
    This new release added more methods of sdcard detection, sdcard an app permissions , force install apps to internal or external Sdcard only, added ntfs, ext4, exfat, vfat sdcard & usbotg support.
    Boot.img patch for external Sdcard. Magisk patch for Pie .
    Sepolicy rules for vold & posix, also custom binaries an more. Theirs optional choices on installation
    I have a 64bit S7 edge and 64bit S6 tablet with Snapdragon 855 so qcom. I also have a old blu mtk device on android 6 but the phone is just a dust collector. I also have a nexus 6 , Moto g4, and galaxy s2 tablet.

Ok i hav qcom 64bit Oreo & pie drivers for ntfs an exfat support already. Checking cause my new module will pack some goodies for external Sdcard support. It mainly supports Mtk marshmallow an nougat 32 / 64bit . Am allowing Android 10 install also.
    Does any of your devices support exfat an ntfs?