Is the latest magisk module working for you V4.2 ?

• Does it create external sd in root dir

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Does it provide ntfs & exfat support for sdcard

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Does it provide ntfs & exfat support for usbotg

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Are new apps installing to external storage now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everything seems to work well

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Doesn't work for me

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Heavy-MatIll

Feb 5, 2011
I tried a few combinations, some may be irellevant, but i was not sure about the sd module interaction with my other magisk modules (Riru, edxposed, magisk hide, systemless hosts).

In conclusion sd module did never allow me to make or receive calls, no matter which version and which options I selected.

There were two cases where uninstalling sd module did not directly resolve the problem. Both (marked in red) where connected to uninstalling or installing another module in the same run. Not sure if this is possible or a reboot after each uninstall is recommended. After reinstalling e.g. Magisk hide it did work again.

Is this a problem with my magisk? Which version is recommended? I am using newest: Magisk 23.0 and App 23.0.

ActionModule and optionCalling account working
install4.4 SD-Link onlyno
uninstall4.4yes
install4.4 ntfs & exfat binariesno
uninstall4.4yes
install4.4 no optionsno
uninstall4.4yes
install5.0 no optionsno
uninstall5.0yes
uninstallRiru and other modules (magisk hide, edxposed)yes
install5.0 no optionsno
uninstall5.0yes
updateMagisk Hideyes
install5.0 ntfs & exfat binariesno
uninstallMagisk Hideno
installMagisk Hideno
uninstallsystemless hostsno
uninstall5.0 ntfs & exfat binariesno
uninstallMagisk Hideyes
uninstall4.4 and install Magisk Hide in one gono
uninstallMagisk Hideyes
installMagisk Hideyes

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I tried a few combinations, some may be irellevant, but i was not sure about the sd module interaction with my other magisk modules (Riru, edxposed, magisk hide, systemless hosts).

In conclusion sd module did never allow me to make or receive calls, no matter which version and which options I selected.

There were two cases where uninstalling sd module did not directly resolve the problem. Both (marked in red) where connected to uninstalling or installing another module in the same run. Not sure if this is possible or a reboot after each uninstall is recommended. After reinstalling e.g. Magisk hide it did work again.

Is this a problem with my magisk? Which version is recommended? I am using newest: Magisk 23.0 and App 23.0.

ActionModule and optionCalling account working
install4.4 SD-Link onlyno
uninstall4.4yes
uninstall4.4yes
install4.4 no optionsno
uninstall4.4yes
install5.0 no optionsno
uninstall5.0yes
uninstallRiru and other modules (magisk hide, edxposed)yes
install5.0 no optionsno
uninstall5.0yes
updateMagisk Hideyes
install5.0 ntfs & exfat binariesno
uninstallMagisk Hideno
installMagisk Hideno
uninstallsystemless hostsno
uninstall5.0 ntfs & exfat binariesno
uninstallMagisk Hideyes
uninstall4.4 and install Magisk Hide in one gono
uninstallMagisk Hideyes
installMagisk Hideyes

Yes you have to reboot then test again after each module install/uninstall.

You can try an older magisk version, It may also be a module you use thats not compatible with my module.

If you can uninstall or disable all modules then test only mines to check.

droidbot1337

Apr 2, 2013
I get it to work with v5.0 on Android 11 (LineageOs 18.1) with Magisk 22.1 on my Samsung Galaxy S5.
@Ziona thank you for your awesome work!!

do you mind sharing your install process? i have tried to get this to work with LOS 18.1 on my pixel 3 and have had no luck. i might just disable all my other modules and give it one more try before i just give up.

TaffestTaffer

Sep 24, 2021
Hello, I have an issue with this module on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro. Installation through Magisk appears to work but every time I reboot after installation the phone just shuts down after about a minute or enters bootloop. It doesn't seem to matter what installation options I use, even when I choose no to everything the problem continues. My phone has Android 10 (MIUI V12.0.5.0). Magisk version is 23.0 and there are no other modules installed. I have tried both v4.4 and v5.0. I would appreciate any help with this.

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Hello, I have an issue with this module on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro. Installation through Magisk appears to work but every time I reboot after installation the phone just shuts down after about a minute or enters bootloop. It doesn't seem to matter what installation options I use, even when I choose no to everything the problem continues. My phone has Android 10 (MIUI V12.0.5.0). Magisk version is 23.0 and there are no other modules installed. I have tried both v4.4 and v5.0. I would appreciate any help with this.
When you install via magisk manager, upload the <modules name> magisk debug log - located within your internal storage root or download folder, depending on installer. Something non compatible with your device is happening on install.

droidbot1337

Apr 2, 2013
im having trouble getting this to work on my galaxy tab s5e running crdroid 7.11 (R). i have tried both 4.4 and 5.0 but i cant get VLC to load the files from my external thumb drives. any help?

Abnova

Jun 16, 2014
Hey, just writing to say that I used this on my old Infinix HOT 4. For some reason they did not bother to allow exFAT support even though it was running android 7. This module worked and created a new directory, "external_sd". Everything works fine although the only gripe I have with this is that it doesn't come up as an external sd card in the default android file explorer.

Stijl

Nov 21, 2021
doesn't come up as an external sd card in the default android file explorer.
You might need to enable Global Namespace for Root Processes in Magisk options and/or force switch SELinux to Permissive using this module. The built-in script for enabling Permissive doesn't work with every ROM out there, I had to do the two above steps to get V5.0 working on two phones running A9 and A10, respectively.

ChocoboX

Sep 6, 2010
Pixel 4 XL running Android 11 here. Magisk 23. I tried to install 4.4 and 5.0. In both instances only SM Links install works. The boot image install fails, I think stating unpack error. I can provide the logs.

When I mount a USB flashdrive (NTFS) with an OTG adapter. I don't see any smlinks. I disabled Riru and other modules but nothing changed. Android pops up a USB fix notification and asks me to format the drive. I cancel that. I'm a bit new to this but I'm trying to figure out a way to add exFAT or NTFS support so I can use my external flash drive beyond the boundaries of 4GB FAT limit.

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Pixel 4 XL running Android 11 here. Magisk 23. I tried to install 4.4 and 5.0. In both instances only SM Links install works. The boot image install fails, I think stating unpack error. I can provide the logs.

When I mount a USB flashdrive (NTFS) with an OTG adapter. I don't see any smlinks. I disabled Riru and other modules but nothing changed. Android pops up a USB fix notification and asks me to format the drive. I cancel that. I'm a bit new to this but I'm trying to figure out a way to add exFAT or NTFS support so I can use my external flash drive beyond the boundaries of 4GB FAT limit.
Module needs to update more for 11+. maybe a next version release soon. But try this mean time using a terminal app or file manager like mixplorer.apk with it's execute tab an run the code below post the output.

Code:
busybox blkid >/data/media/0/device.log;
getprop >>/data/media/0/device.log;

look for device.log file in the root of your internal storage to upload here.

Last edited:

ChocoboX

Sep 6, 2010
Here is the file. Also I decided to install Kirisakura kernel using EXKM as I thought I need a custom kernel to make it work. Still I can't mount my ex fat usbotg 😔

Attachments

• device.log
    53 KB · Views: 4

ChocoboX

Sep 6, 2010
I typed busybox and it says busybox is not installed. Not sure why.
I tried "pkg install busybox" but it cannot find it in repo. Any recommendation on how to install it? I thought the module will do that.

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
Samsung Galaxy S10e

You can try these files to manually mount USB or SDCARD to retrieve anything on them but to have android automatically mount a USB/SDCARD your vold & sdcard binary files would most likely need to support ntfs or exfat (like lineage os uses) even with custom kernel. Are you on stock/modified or full custom ROM.

Flash in TWRP.
Connect a USB.
Boot the DEVICE.

Once booted check root for /external_usb folder and content.
if missing/empty type in terminal or execute command.

Code:
usbmount

Attachments

• usbmounter1.zip
    782.6 KB · Views: 35
  • sdmounter.zip
    782.6 KB · Views: 49

ChocoboX

Sep 6, 2010
You can try these files to manually mount USB or SDCARD to retrieve anything on them but to have android automatically mount a USB/SDCARD your vold & sdcard binary files would most likely need to support ntfs or exfat (like lineage os uses) even with custom kernel. Are you on stock/modified or full custom ROM.

Flash in TWRP.
Connect a USB.
Boot the DEVICE.

Once booted check root for /external_usb folder and content.
if missing/empty type in terminal or execute command.

Code:
usbmount

I did flash them using TWRP but when I execute the command I'm getting an error message that it can't be found.
My Pixel 4 XL phone is running a stock rom that came from Google. Google does not include exFAT driver support in their AOSP. So I'm locked out unless I compile exFAT support driver into the kernel. I don't know how to do that.
I tried flashing VOLD-POSIX and it didn't work. I changed the file to API 30 so it skips the check. It installed successfully but I still can't get the usbotg to mount. I know how to type commands but I can't seem to figure out what command to type to mount the volume.
I tried:
mount.exfat /dev/block/sdg1 /sdcard/external

But I get an empty directory. I'm fine even mounting exFAT or NTFS. I just need to skip that 4 GB limit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121-165721.png
    Screenshot_20220121-165721.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 20

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I did flash them using TWRP but when I execute the command I'm getting an error message that it can't be found.
My Pixel 4 XL phone is running a stock rom that came from Google. Google does not include exFAT driver support in their AOSP. So I'm locked out unless I compile exFAT support driver into the kernel. I don't know how to do that.
I tried flashing VOLD-POSIX and it didn't work. I changed the file to API 30 so it skips the check. It installed successfully but I still can't get the usbotg to mount. I know how to type commands but I can't seem to figure out what command to type to mount the volume.
I tried:
mount.exfat /dev/block/sdg1 /sdcard/external

But I get an empty directory. I'm fine even mounting exFAT or NTFS. I just need to skip that 4 GB limit.
look in /system/xbin/ for usbmount , ntfs-3g, mount exfat binaries . also was /external_usb in root / folder ?
you can't mount in /sdcard or /storage/emulated/0/ but only /data/media/0/ may work for mounting in internal storage .

Termux can induce problems within it's shell environment. try using mixplorer.apk a great xda approved an found app or similar.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    External sdcard rw permission enabler plus extras
    robot-4809182_1280.jpg

The latest magisk modules v4.4 & ( v5.0 located page #7 ) is for Android 6 to 11 . Providing External Sdcard write access permissions, It can add quick access links in root directory to your external sdcard. Works on single or multiple partition sdcard filesystem's.

Adds ntfs support to most devices from Android 6 to 10 , an including exfat support from Android 6 to 8. Supports usbotg for Android 6 up on compatible devices.

All sdcard & otg mounting an symlinks methods are technically unique an first of their kind here. No one else cared enough to put in the time needed to add this back to android after removed from Marshmallow an above . So it takes great effort to find universal techniques for most/all devices.
    So devices configurations will vary.

READ BELOW LOOK FOR LATEST UPDATES.
    Some Info

Dual linkage from the system storage and media_rw directories.
    Links are made to root dir & mnt dir.

Link 1 in root - external_sd
    Link 2 in mnt - sdcard1

Both links utilize external read & write permission for access by apps requested.

Example
    Titanium backup can use both these points for storage access for backups to sdcards.

NOT FOR USE WITH ADOPTABLE STORAGE SDCARD SETUP

INSTALL

Flash zip in recovery an reboot.
    Magisk module users v4.1 an above flash in magisk.

If using v4.2 up uninstall module before updating versions or if re-flashing module again when option for ntfs & exfat support are chosen.

If using v4.4 , uninstall an install is supported in both magisk manager and recovery.

Note

init.d support or magisk is needed
    First zip uses init.d support.
    Second zip v4 an higher uses magisk support.

Some apps may need you to grant them access to external storage, others may ask to direct them to the path which can easily be found rite in root folder and also mnt folder - ( this is found in root folder. )

Locations example
    Path in root directory are :
    /external_sd
    /mnt/sdcard1
    /usbotg
    /mnt/usbotg

Some devices may only support one location for their external sdcard in /storage because their is no /mnt/media_rw folder. Module will detect the correct available location to create dual symlinks.

Volume Deamon info:
    What is vold (Volume Daemon) that most Android OS support , why this module uses a custom type when selected (vold posix) option on install ;
    http://strayinsights.blogspot.com/2018/05/android-external-storage-support-volume.html?m=1

####### UPDATED #######

LATEST UPDATE , V4.4 - FOR MAGISK USER

# AUTO INSTALL #

-External Sdcard access
    -Permissive on install
    -Sepolicy patches on install

Some changes below;

:Note for custom vold only (vold posix option when using boot patch):

Best success for using custom vold will be achieved in recovery mode install .
    For devices that supports vold an sdcard binaries only, this is auto checked when vold posix is selected .

# Change log: v4.4

.added support for recovery install an uninstall of module.

.added custom vold safety protection auto uninstall on failure to fully boot.

added full driver support from Android 6 to 10 , for both the 32 & 64 bit variety.

.added additional upgrades to sdcard an usbotg mount & symlinks methods .

.added additional configurations for write access to devices on Android 11 OS.

.added options to choose internel or external app install location for supporting devices.

.added usbotg symlinks an direct folder support in root dir.

.added some other big systematic changes to setup.

.added full uninstall module an boot image patch by re flashing module if installed.

LATEST UPDATE , V4.3 - FOR MAGISK USER

# AUTO INSTALL #

-Permissive on install

NOTE:
    Use Boot Patch if module didn't work for you with SD link option.
    Warning make or have a backup of your ROM to flash if you use custom vold option.

What does vold do? It's the core mount management for most Android devices that mounts internal , external & usb/otg storage devices. Custom vold adds the custom binaries that most non custom rom lacks for mounting ntfs sdcards an otg storage devices. Do to the nature of how it works for full reasons unknown when changing vold binary its a 10℅ chance the device may decide not to full boot an need to be dirty flash to restore start up. So still try with caution .

# Many upgrades some added changes are below #

# Change log: v4.3
    .added newer sdcard an usbotg mount & symlinks methods .

.added additional configurations for write access to devices that dont have even basic setups.

.added back options to choose busybox on install only if wanted.

.added some other systematic changes.

How does this module work ? Some more info can be found here
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83054737&postcount=76

UPDATE , V4.2 - FOR MAGISK USER

# AUTO INSTALL #

-Permissive on install
    -Modded busybox on install
    -Apps install location set to external storage

NOTE:
    Use Boot Patch an also try it with the custom vold options if module didn't work for you with SD link option. V4.2 only

# Many upgrades some added changes are below #

# Change log: v4.2

.added new latest magisk install template with selection.

.added advance techniques for sdcard symlinks - Optional

.added custom boot.img patch if symlinks failed to create in root - Optional

.added custom vold binary for some devices on Android 6-9 - Optional

.added ntfs & exfat full support for Mediatek devices, also qcom support in Android 8-9 64bit only - Optional

.added mounting & symlinks support for multiple partitions on sdcards, all links & folders made in root. Exfat, Vfat, Ntfs, Ext4 & ( F2fs if kernel supported )

.added usbotg ntfs & exfat mount support on boot.

.added install & uninstall options in magisk manager when flashing zip to undo any changes.

How does this module work ? Some more info can be found here
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83054737&postcount=76

UPDATE , V4.1 - FOR MAGISK USER

INSTALL

Within Magisk Manager App ONLY {Not Recovery}

In the Modules Tab using the yellow plus sign button at bottom of modules tab , locate where you download an saved this zip (downloads folder most likely).
    NOTE
    When installing Follow the on srceen instructions , volume key check should be selected quickly on startup test or installer will exit. (Will just have to restart installer if so)

Info
    -System remounted RW
    -Provides full Permissive mode -Optional
    -Provides Invert back Selinux Enforcing mode -Optional
    -Sepolicy internal & external sdcard Platform.xml patch for rw permissions to system files & directories on some devices
    -Provides app backup access write permissions an quicker access to external_sd mounted in root dir.
    -Example.. titanium backup can use external sdcard link in root folder or /mnt/sdcard1 to store backup files..
    -Custom Magisk installer
    -Custom modded busybox -Optional
    -Custom Ext.sdcard dual mounts -Optional
    -Can be used alone with only write sdcard access installed systemless
    -Systemless altering (patching) of files .

Custom install selection v4.1 options
    -Choose android version on install to select custom sepolicy injection on boot.
    -Choose Permissive on install
    -Choose Selinux Enforcing on install
    -Choose None to leave selinux as is on install
    -Choose Modded app2sd busybox on install
    -Choose Symlink Dual ExternalSD on install

-ExternalSD write access by default on install , can run it standalone if no other options are selected.

-Any Options install will be listed in magisk within module tab.
    Uninstall or disable ExternalSD module within Magisk module tab or custom recovery.

# After first beta version 4 lagacy install for Magisk.

# Change log: v4.1
    - New Template install.
    .added new latest magisk install template with selection.

.added sepolicy patch - Android version - Optional install.

.added permissive mode - Optional install.

.added busybox modded app2sd version -Optional install.

.added sdmount for symlinks - Optional install.

.added external Sd write access enabler' Standalone mode - if no options selected on install.

.script - adjustments in post-fs-data.sh for file backups, file sed an patching.

.script - adjustments in sdmount.sh for better mounting & optimized bootcomplete start execution for creating symlinks & automatic file deletion on magisk module removal.

Update v4.1
    # first magisk module build date;
    11/04/2020

Uninstall - For older Magisk v4 & init.d support installs

Flash first top zip again once to remove mod with init.d support
    Flash bottom v4 magisk uninstall for magisk .

Disclaimer
    You choose to install anything on your devices the decision is always your , xda is not responsible for your actions on your device & either am i, if you have doubt about something ask questions about it first.

Latest Updated (04/10/2020)
    Including Latest Magisk support, version v4.4

Thanks to :
    @Techguy777 for helping with testing device compatibility.

Hopefully you find this useful.

Please Give Your Feed Back!
    It takes devs time to create mods for You but it take nothing for You to hit LIKE BUTTON!! ?

Report errors to developers we cant know if to continue updates or to correct anything we don't read minds

NEED HELP PERSONALLY:
    Telegram - https://t.me/Ziona242

Let me know which device it doesn't work for
    Confirmed! Working like a charm!

Btw, Can u add another symlink for usb otg at /root please?

Sent from my TECNO CX Air using Tapatalk
    Confirmed! Working like a charm!

Btw, Can u add another symlink for usb otg at /root please?

Sent from my TECNO CX Air using Tapatalk

Ok get back to you later today,i may make that for u or just roll it out next release, the way it is now great but i made to additional methods to detect external sd sources , seem like no one else wanted the challenge after Marshmallow changed the whole game on how to find an use sdcard resources. The new install added a nice touch too lol , (YouTube) hit that like button to subscribe haha
    I agree no one after marshmallow really worked on anything to get Extsd card support working for apps. There is one but you need to use edxposed xinternalsd also. I think this is great Im using on my S6 tablet on android pie. I wish you would add android Q support but its great to see you doing this project. Thanks

Thx, am bout to release v4.2 newest for magisk. I left out Q because am not sure how it works yet i dnt have a Android 10 device to test on yet.
    If someone willing to test i may remove the install limit to allow its installing for Q.
    This new release added more methods of sdcard detection, sdcard an app permissions , force install apps to internal or external Sdcard only, added ntfs, ext4, exfat, vfat sdcard & usbotg support.
    Boot.img patch for external Sdcard. Magisk patch for Pie .
    Sepolicy rules for vold & posix, also custom binaries an more. Theirs optional choices on installation
    I have a 64bit S7 edge and 64bit S6 tablet with Snapdragon 855 so qcom. I also have a old blu mtk device on android 6 but the phone is just a dust collector. I also have a nexus 6 , Moto g4, and galaxy s2 tablet.

Ok i hav qcom 64bit Oreo & pie drivers for ntfs an exfat support already. Checking cause my new module will pack some goodies for external Sdcard support. It mainly supports Mtk marshmallow an nougat 32 / 64bit . Am allowing Android 10 install also.
    Does any of your devices support exfat an ntfs?