• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

External Speaker

Search This thread

rswain64

Oct 10, 2010
Panama City
Just purchased a X-Mini II Capsule speaker for the Nook. This little speaker really rocks compared to the internal speaker. It has a rechargeable battery that charges through any computer USB port. Bought in off Amazon for $25.00 but looks like it's on sale now for $16.97. I could barely hear movies before using the internal speaker, usually just hooked up headphones. With this little speaker, I had the volume all the way up and the wife's yelling at me in the next room to turn it down.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UEBN42/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Here's a picture of it attached to the Nook:

2011-01-22_18-48-16_887.jpg

McBain01

Jan 4, 2011
awesome. Some guy had a video review of his so you get an idea on volume etc. I went ahead and ordered one. This will be perfect for my travels for work. Thanks for sharing

slatonyam

May 12, 2010
I have one that looks just like that. Sound is excellent and bought it on ebay for $4.95, search for usb hamburger speaker.

***Update mine does not have a rechargeable battery. Works via usb or dc cord.***

Last edited:

vizographic

Feb 19, 2008
Your little speaker looks like a nice find. Just one question before making the jump, how do you find the battery life on this speaker? Hours...a full day...any, observations regarding battery life would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using XDA App

rswain64

Oct 10, 2010
Panama City
Haven't really tested the battery life out yet. But my grandson watched 2 movies, I watched one. Streamed Pandora for about 2 hours and still running on intial charge. It doesn't have any battery indicator and the manual says it's get about 12 hours before needing a recharge.

You can probably find them cheaper on Ebay. Take the plunge, you'll enjoy it!

Reactions: aludal

aludal

Aug 17, 2010
Capitola CA
fineoils.blogspot.com
Haven't really tested the battery life out yet. But my grandson watched 2 movies, I watched one. Streamed Pandora for about 2 hours and still running on intial charge. It doesn't have any battery indicator and the manual says it's get about 12 hours before needing a recharge.

I wonder can you plug also ear plugs/phones into that ball? and what happens?

Great find anyway. Hopefully someone will find a similar stereo pair of small speakers, to use fixed on that "plate holder" you use for your NC.

Other ways to deal with the NC audio problem -- within the NC itself -- are discussed in my blog: fineoils.blogspot.com.

aludal

Aug 17, 2010
Capitola CA
fineoils.blogspot.com

rswain64

Oct 10, 2010
Panama City
I wonder can you plug also ear plugs/phones into that ball? and what happens?

Great find anyway. Hopefully someone will find a similar stereo pair of small speakers, to use fixed on that "plate holder" you use for your NC.

Other ways to deal with the NC audio problem -- within the NC itself -- are discussed in my blog: fineoils.blogspot.com.

The X-Mini has another 3.5mm audio jack on it. You can daisy chain as many of the speakers as you want. I hooked up headphones to it last night and they work also.

Want I really want is the bluetooth chip enabled on the NK. They I can use my bluetooth headphones.

The 2 pack from Buy.com looks like a good deal. Not sure on how the "Glow LED power indicator ring adds night time ambiance" feature will affect batter life though.

mediabear

Jul 15, 2008
Considering it's stereo --and NC's headphones are fed stereo, gosh, it's even the better deal than OP. Thank you mediabear. Though OP tip still stands, at least for his picture of the "stand" for NC.

------------------------
fineoils.blogspot.com

I received mine today. The sound is decent. Definitely a boost compared to Nooks regular speaker. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can daisy chain these together. I figured all of these would be the same. Should of researched them a little better. It looks like the other ones cost about $20 a piece. So you are looking at a minimum of $40 to daisy chain. The battery life doesnt appear to be as long on these as on the others. I believe these only last a few hours. The others ones I have seen are suppose to last up to 11 hours. I dont know if I would put a lot of money into the other ones anyways. A lot of people have complained on the battery dying after awhile and the only way they could use them was if they were plugged into the usb. Not bad though for the price and still sounds better then the Nook speaker alone.

vizographic

Feb 19, 2008
Thanks for the feedback on battery life. Reading the posts following your observation, It seems you sparked further feedback from others regarding cheaper less desirable speaker versions, ones that I can now be sure to avoid. Thanks from a frugal (sounds better than cheap) poster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

[email protected]

Aug 13, 2010
Has anyone tried the Logitech Clip on Speakers?

I don't have enough posts for a link yet but try a google search (amazon logitech clip on speakers).

I'm wondering if these would work, it seems like they only output the sound through USB though. These would be great if someone could figure out how to get around the whole driver /install/sound output through usb issue.

bugeyed1

Dec 24, 2010
Conroe, Tx
I use this. It's the same width as the short side of the NC & 3/4" D. Sounds pretty good, not great, but increases the volume pretty well. Compact form factor for easy portability. $15 USD at Walmart & Target.

PhillipsSBA1600BLK.jpg
Phillips SBA1600BLK/27

Cheers,
kev

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just purchased a X-Mini II Capsule speaker for the Nook. This little speaker really rocks compared to the internal speaker. It has a rechargeable battery that charges through any computer USB port. Bought in off Amazon for $25.00 but looks like it's on sale now for $16.97. I could barely hear movies before using the internal speaker, usually just hooked up headphones. With this little speaker, I had the volume all the way up and the wife's yelling at me in the next room to turn it down.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UEBN42/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Here's a picture of it attached to the Nook:

2011-01-22_18-48-16_887.jpg