External storage files read only !!!

Search This thread

hija31

Jul 15, 2008
Are the removable storage (external sd-card) files like: .txt, .jpg, .mp3 supposed to be read-only!!!
When I look for details of one from above files with HTC file manager, it says that they're read-only while on M9 they're read-write ready.

emrug

Jul 28, 2013
Did you format it on your other Phone? I did format mine on 10 and got a message that it "can only work on this device". Maybe when put on another device it becomes a read only. Just thinking!!

hija31

Jul 15, 2008
Did you format it on your other Phone? I did format mine on 10 and got a message that it "can only work on this device". Maybe when put on another device it becomes a read only. Just thinking!!

I've tried different ways of formating :
On 10, on M9 & PC with the same result.
When I mount the card in M9 or M8 and I check the same files with HTC file manager they are read-write ready.
I think the problem is not the card itself but more in how 10 mount's it.

P.S. can someone check the files on your sd-card if they're read-only ?

RickOSidhe

Feb 2, 2011
Wake Forest
When I mount the card in M9 or M8 and I check the same files with HTC file manager they are read-write ready.

Got this message from BubbleUPnP when I tried to select the SD for storage:

"The folder you picked is not writable.

Since Android KiKat, Google disabled the ability for apps to write to external SD cards. If you picked a folder on such SD card, the only way to circumvent it is to root your device and use an helper app to restore write permissions."

That said, Solid Explorer allows me to rw the SD directly w/o a helper app.

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA-Developers mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure a Micro SD card doesn't have the slider... You're thinking of the adapter for the Micro SD card which does not go in any mobile android device because of its size.

Using CM12.1 on my SGH-T999
D'oh. I'm feeling stupid now. Need a beer and a donut.

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Last edited:

AlienDrew

Apr 24, 2016
Portland
thealiendrew.github.io

I read up on this a bit, and yeah on some of the newer phones (I don't know about the absolute newest though) you can read and write to the SD card, unless you modify system files (wouldn't recommend unless you have some developing experience) or just rooting the phone (in combination with a file manager with root access) in order to read and write to your SD card.

Using CM12.1 on my SGH-T999