External storage (micro sd) Permission issue in Android 12

Search This thread

sgn15

Jan 31, 2017
Solid Explorer app. Android 12

I want to copy/move files between internal and micro sd stoeage. So when I want to copy from internal to micro sd, it says to grant permission. When I select root of external storage (Android 12) , the button labeled "USE THIS FOLDER" is disabled but tapping it anyway just says "to protect your privacy, choose another folder" and I can't choose external storage root but if I choose a folder in micro sd, it says I chose/selected to grant a wrong folder.

I have tried other file managers in play store even google's own app. They just not able to copy or move to micro sd without giving detailed reason for the error.

How do I grant this permission so I can move files to micro sd?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Mi max 3 with Android 12 custom rom

How do I fix this permission so I can use my micro sd normally?
No clue for a custom rom. Try a Google search with xda included to pull up threads about work arounds here on other systems using scoped storage. Scoped storage is quit the terror especially in Android 13.
Google never liked expandable storage as they want to make you a slave to cloud, just like MS.

These may be useful to you:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.e...-28-file-manager-loophole-closed-73891524/amp/

xXx yYy

Feb 4, 2017
Only apps make used of scoped storage in Android 10+: You always can opt-out scoped storage.
Set requestLegacyExternalStorage in app's AndroidManifest.xml to true.

xXx yYy

Feb 4, 2017
If I'm right you want to copy so-called shareable MEDIA files ( i.e. images, audio files, videos) from Android's internal SD-card to plugged in external SD-card what basically requires READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE or WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORRAGE permissions if in Android 10+.
For shareable media content, shared storage is used so that other apps can access the content for where all permissions are required if in Android 9 and lower.
This all is handled by Android's MediaStore API. So teach yourself about this.