• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Extremely frustrated, screen activates in pocket, please help

Search This thread

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Mine works perfectly. Check if this screen appears when you cover the top of your display with your hand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210620-142833_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20210620-142833_One UI Home.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 32

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
Mine works perfectly. Check if this screen appears when you cover the top of your display with your hand.

Can you be more specific on the steps to duplicate this?

I've tried to get this screen to appear, but cannot.

With phone screen off, when I cover the top of the screen with my thumb and try to wake the screen by double-tapping, nothing happens.

But when I cover the top of the screen with a piece of black plastic and try to wake the screen by double-tapping, the screen wakes as though nothing is out of the ordinary.

So I'm concluding that the thumb is not a good test for covering the screen. I'm guessing the thumb is just creating a constant touch that disables the double tap to wake.

However, the plastic would simulate a dark pocket environment, and that does nothing to disable accidental touches.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
However, the plastic would simulate a dark pocket environment, and that does nothing to disable accidental touches.
How would the phone work at night?
You're over thinking this.
Try the clearing system cache and a hard reboot.
Double check your settings.
Try in safe mode to rule out a 3rd party.

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Can you be more specific on the steps to duplicate this?

I've tried to get this screen to appear, but cannot.

With phone screen off, when I cover the top of the screen with my thumb and try to wake the screen by double-tapping, nothing happens.

But when I cover the top of the screen with a piece of black plastic and try to wake the screen by double-tapping, the screen wakes as though nothing is out of the ordinary.

So I'm concluding that the thumb is not a good test for covering the screen. I'm guessing the thumb is just creating a constant touch that disables the double tap to wake.

Just cover the top of the display with my thumb, dttw and that screen pops up. I should mention that it doesn't work in the dark.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Keep the back of the phone towards your leg, problem solved.
    Used to happen to me too. Ofter i would only realise phone was awake and messing around by the beeping sounds of the dialer going off in the pocket, or the increasing temperature of the phone against my thigh - screen on for God knows how long.

Pocket detection is dubious at best - doesn't work consistently. All this happened despite it being set to "on"

Turning off double-tap-to-wake screen helped me.

Now the phone only wakes up for calls and will show lockscreen only if I hit the power button (side key) - I have never used AOD, so screen stays off no matter how hard you tap away at the screen.

Unfortunaltely this puts a lot of mechanical wear on the side key (waking up the phone to unlock)

TO solve this, I have set my Fingerprint scanner "always on" enabled, so if i want to unlock phone without wearing out the side key, I just hit the screen with my thumb where i know the fingerprint scanner is, and it takes me to the home screen without showing the lock screen. I've developed muscle memory now and can hit the correct spot on the screen 90% of the time without the fingerprint icon displayed on screen. No perceptible differnence in battery life as opposed to keeping fingerprint scanner always on disabled.

This has worked for me. Maybe you can try it out and see if it solves your issue.
    I dont think that would put any mechanical stress on the power key.

Phones are tested for upto millions of press of buttons which you woudnt be able to achieve in your lifetime .

I have my aod on always , and double tap to wake on always .

Best possible way to avoid accidental wakeup is to insert your phone with screen facing away from the body i.e towards the fabric of pants/jeans/lower
    Please help let me know if screen activating in pocket is a bug or if this is intended design (i.e., design flaw)?

Now that it's summer my leg can get a little sweaty. But my phone in pocket triggers off my leg due to the moisture! Then the phone will randomly edit various things as the phone bounces around in my pocket.

WTF, why won't the phone just detect the darkness and know it's in my F*ING pocket! My S9+ was really good about this, it knew when it was in the pocket and ignored my sweaty leg.

But with this retarded S21 Ultra, it doesn't seem to know when it's in your pocket. I've already lost several important appointments and tasks (my calendar and task lists widgets are on the main screen) because the dumb phone let my *LEG* edit/destroy/delete the important tasks and calendar entries.

I'm holding out hope that maybe this is not how the phone is designed to work, maybe I can fix it by doing a factory reset. But I recall other posts complaining about how the phone is too retarded to detect being in the pocket when it comes to the Always On Display (AOD) and just keeps the display on while in the pocket too. So maybe it's a fatal design flaw of the phone, where if it is hot outside and you have moisture on your leg, your phone will think your leg is typing and just randomly change things.

Please help me understand whether this is a fatal design flaw or just some bug or what!?
    Pocket detection is dubious at best - doesn't work consistently. All this happened despite it being set to "on"

Yes, the S21 Ultra refers to this as "Accidental Touch Protection." The flavor text explains "Protect your phone from accidental touches when it's in a dark place, such as a pocket or bag."

Accidental Touch Protection has been turned on when I had the problems.

Does anyone know why Accidental Touch Protection is not working, even though it's turned on?

The setting is found under Settings - Display (scroll down, 4th from the bottom).
    I'd like to keep enabled the smart lock on body detection, and keep enabled the double-tap to wake. I can see how keeping the phone locked would help, but the root problem is still there - the phone wakes up even though it is inside the pocket.
    If you'd like to keep the tap to wake feature on, then the best solution for now appears to be what @aj7400 and @blackhawk have suggested - Keep the phone screen facing away from the thigh.