• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Exynos 9825 very disappointing compared to SD855

Search This thread

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
When you buy the top notch phone that retails more than $1000 you expect to get the best performance. Not only Samsung didn't equipt the Note 10+ with the new SD885+, the new Global version of the phone comes with the Exynos 9825 that lacks in performance against the old SD855. That's not acceptable. What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: pittas

Zsomer

Jun 3, 2016
The Exynos wins in single core performance and app launch time, they have comparable battery life and the SD wins in multi threaded workloads and GPU. But if you look at the 9820 vs sd855 anandtech review, the gpu is actually almost on par with the SD version and while the 9825 is very slightly overclocked it shouldnt lose this hard. Looks like an optimization issue to me rather than a raw power one. At the end of the day they perform similar in everyday use, but since more people use sd devices than exynos once they will be more optimized for games and such. Dont worry about it too much imo, yes it sucks that we got a worse version globally but its not a huge deal and definitely not a dealbreaker.

Belimawr

Aug 26, 2016
I would of thought more people used the Exynos version considering it's pretty much the entire world, while SD is mainly just north america or are samsung's sales outside America really that bad?

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
I guess that optimization will improve the 9825 but not sure if it will make it to the SD855 performance. AFAIK Samsung can't use the Exynos chip in the USA because of patent protections so they using SD's. At least they should sell the Exynos version cheaper...

pittas

Nov 27, 2009
I Think that it's about time I stop buying an exynos note. It performs way worse than the snapdragon variant 3rd year in a row.
For me it is a deal breaker.
A phone asking 1000+ $ and flagged as flagship must have the latest soc, fact.
But....they wouldn't dare putting 855+ in comparison with the exynos9825 that maybe can compete with the almost 2 years old 845 soc. Really a shame.
No upgrading for me, sticking to my note9 and waiting for a proper flagship with flagship specs, means 855+ soc.

Reactions: AceDaMack

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
I already bought the Note 10+ Exynos before I knew it was inferior to the SD version. But if the next samsung flagship will not fix this, it will be the last Exynos device I'm buying maybe the last Samsung device altogether.

Eudeferrer

Aug 27, 2012
Miami
I already bought the Note 10+ Exynos before I knew it was inferior to the SD version. But if the next samsung flagship will not fix this, it will be the last Exynos device I'm buying maybe the last Samsung device altogether.
Well, aside from performance, if you are into rooting your device, the SD is pretty much not a choice unless you get the Hong Kong version. AFAIK, the only fully rootable version is the Exynos. I personally, would never consider the locked down version of the SD just based on principle. If I own the device and pay over $1000, I want to be the judge of what I can and can't do to it. It's like buying a Ferrari and being told the insurance company has disabled parts of it and it won't drive more than 60 mph. Weather you actually root or not becomes irrelevant. It's the principle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL

Reactions: winol and Pooheyx

Duncan1982

Feb 6, 2014
I have no issues with the Exynos, it runs smoothly, performance is perfectly acceptable, yes the 855 might be slightly better in certain areas, but I think its marginal.....:p

Reactions: Guitarfreak26

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
Well, aside from performance, if you are into rooting your device, the SD is pretty much not a choice unless you get the Hong Kong version. AFAIK, the only fully rootable version is the Exynos. I personally, would never consider the locked down version of the SD just based on principle. If I own the device and pay over $1000, I want to be the judge of what I can and can't do to it. It's like buying a Ferrari and being told the insurance company has disabled parts of it and it won't drive more than 60 mph. Weather you actually root or not becomes irrelevant. It's the principle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL

In my last 3 phones from Samsung I didn't feel the need to root so that not a deal breaker for me. If you pay for Ferrari you don't want to end up with Maserati ;)

smentoma

Nov 21, 2010
Have you seen the battery on exynos version. https://youtu.be/RTezwqJgo5M
7 h and 47 min on gaming and rec 4k 60fp. Beat all competitors flagship without p30 pro Exynos is awesome even if is surpass in performance. Lets be real. Exynos will manage anything we drop at him no matter what.Battery is important. And so far by youre complains on xda compare to exynos sd is a failure.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
Have you seen the battery on exynos version. https://youtu.be/RTezwqJgo5M
7 h and 47 min on gaming and rec 4k 60fp. Beat all competitors flagship without p30 pro Exynos is awesome even if is surpass in performance. Lets be real. Exynos will manage anything we drop at him no matter what.Battery is important. And so far by youre complains on xda compare to exynos sd is a failure.

I saw this test, but I didn't see the SD version tested. Also I have no problem to sacrifice some battery time for more performance (within reason).

smentoma

Nov 21, 2010
I backup my opinion with my eperience. 1 day with note 10+ exynos version. Litle bit waze, 1h talk, 7 h youtube, 1/2 4g 1/2 wifi, some 3d attemp, heavy usage. Phenomenal battery. Exynos from s10+ and note 10+ is a win. 20190830_000613.jpg20190830_000543.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL
    When you buy the top notch phone that retails more than $1000 you expect to get the best performance. Not only Samsung didn't equipt the Note 10+ with the new SD885+, the new Global version of the phone comes with the Exynos 9825 that lacks in performance against the old SD855. That's not acceptable. What do you think?

I Think that it's about time I stop buying an exynos note. It performs way worse than the snapdragon variant 3rd year in a row.
    For me it is a deal breaker.
    A phone asking 1000+ $ and flagged as flagship must have the latest soc, fact.
    But....they wouldn't dare putting 855+ in comparison with the exynos9825 that maybe can compete with the almost 2 years old 845 soc. Really a shame.
    No upgrading for me, sticking to my note9 and waiting for a proper flagship with flagship specs, means 855+ soc.
    I have no issues with the Exynos, it runs smoothly, performance is perfectly acceptable, yes the 855 might be slightly better in certain areas, but I think its marginal.....:p