Exynos crap overheating again!!!

Search This thread

zsolti256

Sep 13, 2010
I have had a Galaxy Note , and i was thinking not to get the 7.7 because of the same reason, it allways overheated and switched to powersaving mode, and everything slowed down, menu, page loading ect (it became hopelessly slow, embarrising!!). . .
I am a heavy internet browser, and this kills this tab, and this processor sadly I think ICS wont help either(thow in theory it should).
When scrolling on a browser (in Desktop mode)the cpu utilization is nearly always maximum, see with: Cooltool, also check it lock down to 800mhz when overheated, now its summer and this crap overheats after 5minutes, Cant believe none of you have complained!
Im going to sell this tab , soon as there will be an alternative! damm this overheating peice of . . .

Last edited:

boelze

I would really like to know what you do to make it overheat. I surf the web alot too but I never noticed any significant heat change. My Tab only gets really hot when I use photoshop touch or play ressource heavy games.
Could you explain what you exactly do when this happens? IE very much tabs open? Or sites with much flash content?
Maybe you have some ressource heavy app running in the background, I had a bunch of apps in the past that drained battery like mad even if I never started them, that led to very hot device too. But I never hat a shutdown because of that.

By the way if you are using your tab in an extremely hot environment, maybe set lower frequency for your cpu (needs root).

zsolti256

Sep 13, 2010
I would really like to know what you do to make it overheat. I surf the web alot too but I never noticed any significant heat change. My Tab only gets really hot when I use photoshop touch or play ressource heavy games.
Could you explain what you exactly do when this happens? IE very much tabs open? Or sites with much flash content?
Maybe you have some ressource heavy app running in the background, I had a bunch of apps in the past that drained battery like mad even if I never started them, that led to very hot device too. But I never hat a shutdown because of that.

By the way if you are using your tab in an extremely hot environment, maybe set lower frequency for your cpu (needs root).

Yes flash heavy sites such as engadget, even not scrolling generates 60-70% cpu in 800mhz, and if i scroll for about 5 pages, you can see and feel the device has overheated. You can test this by setting setcpu onto performance mode and 1400mhz, and use : Cooltool from the market to monitor OSD your current CPU clock, and you'll notice it jumps down to 800mhz, despite setting it to performance! Maybe the next 7.7 will have a cooler cpu, better with architechure less nanometer .

zsolti256

Sep 13, 2010
i get that a lot!
no flash enable!

i'm forced to press Power for 5 sec and reboot :( :mad:

My device never freezes never shuts down only locks down the mhz to 800. But if you exit the browser and wait for it to cool down it goes up to 1400again when needed.
I dont know about the shut downs you guys are talking about.
I have found that most of the sites generate alot of cpu useage just sitting on them. I too have flash set to on demand and never start them unless it is a video i want to see . And also intalled Adfree too!

Last edited:

questionmark

May 10, 2005
leiden
My device never freezes never shuts down only locks down the mhz to 800. But if you exit the browser and wait for it to cool down it goes up to 1400again when needed.
I dont know about the shut downs you guys are talking about.
I have found that most of the sites generate alot of cpu useage just sitting on them. I too have flash set to on demand and never start them unless it is a video i want to see . And also intalled Adfree too!

I haven't noticed something that bad with my TAB however indeed the few times I'm browsing the device indeed seems warmer... So I checked with telegraaph news site in the Netherland as an example; the page is quite big and there are couple non static object in page.

Using cool tool and monitoring CPU usage

Strock browser siting there having the view on a place where all is static yields about 95 # CPU usage...real bad indeed...

I also use OPERA and here the things are better at around #50-56% cpu usage...

I used to have CM9 on TAB 7.7 but it is currently not usable...So I try on TAB 8.9 with GALAXIAN SOUP ROM and Chrome beta... and got about 75# cpu uage on a page having only static object and where the pages is less static (moving objects etc) there it goes at #90 to 95%. So it seems Chrome vs Stock HC browser attempts some optimization here?

So ICS might help a bit but not that much indeed...

I'm really surprised about this high CPU usage on stock browser and Goolge stuff, not sure necessarily the HW is the culpit here, but rather software and optimization. I have IPAD 1 far less powerful and curious to see how it does there .....

So yea it is sad to see that... was not aware of it until now but I bet this is known in the Android community?

Last edited:

profeduards

Jun 29, 2015
Same overheating problem here on my Tab 7.7's left middle side, and worse, battery drains so fast than usual.
This is my 3rd tab 7.7. My 2nd one had a faulty charging IC rendering my unit as useless, Service center said it needs board replacement!

Quo vadis, Samsung?

Top Liked Posts