General F3: My observations so far

Search This thread

GeForce66

• May 28, 2011
    St. Pölten
    Xiaomi Poco F1
    Hello everyone,

I got my device some time ago and wanted to highlight the things that rarely ever get mentioned by your average youtuber.

-) Yes, vibration motor noise is there.
    But it feels really intentional, not like it is broken.
    For me personally I don't mind it really, just wanted to share it since this is dicussed in this forum.
    I don't have the "crackling" that has been mentioned, it feels more like when you set the alarm on an iPhone and rotate the hours/minutes wheel - satisfying.

-) Screen PWM'ing
    The display is great, gets decently bright especially when viewing HDR content on YT.
    Also the 120Hz is definitely a game changer, you can trust me on that.
    What I however noticed coming from my F1 is the PWM.
    Feels like they do 240-280Hz PWMing the brightness.
    I feel like it is causing me headaches and sore eyes, but might just be the exhaustion after coming home from office work on Thursday's ;)
    Will see how it develops - my F1 has also PWM, but at around 4000Hz (!) which is definitely not noticeable.
    Anyone of you have noticed the PWM? I might be an isolated case, even all high-end Samsungs's have 240Hz and no one complains ...
    If you know a hack to enable DC dimming just shoot me a PM please ;)
    Hope I don't have to send it back because of this, would be really a shame.

-) Green tilt
    Yes, I have noticed some green tilt at the upper half of the screen.
    Only happens at really low brightnesses and with certain silver/grey'ish colors in dark mode with reading mode on.
    But it is really minor, you really have to focus to make out a slight green shift.
    That is no issue for me really, but wanted to highlight it because of the ongoing discussin.

Actually that was all.
    The rest is great so far.
    Extremely fast, premium build, nice AOD, battery is good so far, camera is more than enough for me and the sound quality is excellent.

If you want to me to test/check out something just let me know, as long as it doesn't involve ADB ;)

Last edited:

Mohamed Ezat

Apr 16, 2021
    Can you please help me.. I don't know if my eyes are sensitive to pwm or not as I've always used an ips and I don't have the option of returning the phone, I used to get a headache behind my eyes while using my old pc for a long time, so does it relate to it or did you have the same problem?

GeForce66

• May 28, 2011
    St. Pölten
    Xiaomi Poco F1
    Well yes, it could be - or you just were in front of the screen too long in general.
    For me only my eyes start to burn when i have work in front of the pc all day, but no pain behind the eyes. This only happens with PWM'd OLEDs it seems.
    What monitor have you been using with your pc?

Mohamed Ezat

Apr 16, 2021
    Well yes, it could be - or you just were in front of the screen too long in general.
    For me only my eyes start to burn when i have work in front of the pc all day, but no pain behind the eyes. This only happens with PWM'd OLEDs it seems.
    What monitor have you been using with your pc?
    samsung monitor b1930n, I used to get the pain after playing for long time. I then switched to a laptop (lenovo z50-70) and the frequency of the pain decreased a lot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Hello everyone,

I got my device some time ago and wanted to highlight the things that rarely ever get mentioned by your average youtuber.

-) Yes, vibration motor noise is there.
      But it feels really intentional, not like it is broken.
      For me personally I don't mind it really, just wanted to share it since this is dicussed in this forum.
      I don't have the "crackling" that has been mentioned, it feels more like when you set the alarm on an iPhone and rotate the hours/minutes wheel - satisfying.

-) Screen PWM'ing
      The display is great, gets decently bright especially when viewing HDR content on YT.
      Also the 120Hz is definitely a game changer, you can trust me on that.
      What I however noticed coming from my F1 is the PWM.
      Feels like they do 240-280Hz PWMing the brightness.
      I feel like it is causing me headaches and sore eyes, but might just be the exhaustion after coming home from office work on Thursday's ;)
      Will see how it develops - my F1 has also PWM, but at around 4000Hz (!) which is definitely not noticeable.
      Anyone of you have noticed the PWM? I might be an isolated case, even all high-end Samsungs's have 240Hz and no one complains ...
      If you know a hack to enable DC dimming just shoot me a PM please ;)
      Hope I don't have to send it back because of this, would be really a shame.

-) Green tilt
      Yes, I have noticed some green tilt at the upper half of the screen.
      Only happens at really low brightnesses and with certain silver/grey'ish colors in dark mode with reading mode on.
      But it is really minor, you really have to focus to make out a slight green shift.
      That is no issue for me really, but wanted to highlight it because of the ongoing discussin.

Actually that was all.
      The rest is great so far.
      Extremely fast, premium build, nice AOD, battery is good so far, camera is more than enough for me and the sound quality is excellent.

If you want to me to test/check out something just let me know, as long as it doesn't involve ADB ;)
      About Dc dimming:
      I have read that they had problems with it, so it might not come to the stable version but it can be enabled in the developer version.
      Any link you can share with me? Maybe there is a chance I can give it a try.
      It was stated about the K40 on Weibo by a Xiaomi official, but since it is the same phone as Poco F3 I guess the situation is no different.
      Here is a link: https://en.xiaomitoday.it/redmi-k40-poco-f3-dc-dimming.html
      Yeah so I have packed it up again and will send it back to Amazon.
      Unfortunately the PWM does not go along with my eyes/brain.

But other than that, great device - can definitely recommend, just make sure you are not sensitive to PWM. ;)
      From what I have seen as soon as you are below 100%
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone